Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
so am I missing a good race? this loving militia thing happened at the wrong time and for whatever dumb reason I can't tear myself away from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Ziploc posted:

Part of me thinks that there could be lasting affects from this. But I doubt they'd ever tell the public that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Mast

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

NHRA is switching to EFI in Pro Stock, which means new front ends, among other things. Most P/S teams are barely clinging on so let's make them spend a bunch of money!

meanwhile, Hot Rod runs an event with street cars that are knocking on their times

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KingShibby posted:

Just came across this gem out of the pics I took at the Rolex 24 this past weekend:

Link for size

That's an awesome shot, do you mind if I share that on my Facebook wall for my friends?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BMB5150 posted:

So I just became the stoned instructor of endurance racing at a party. I feel accomplished. Also this racing is good.

first time I did the whole Le Mans was the same way, friends parents were on vacation and we watched the whole thing wrecked on various stuff, it was great

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's like any other feel-good regulation imposed on people. Yeah, coal rolling douchebags are cancer, but when you throw them up against commercial fleets of big rigs that are borderline maintained, the amount of pollution generated isn't even comparable.

Of course, guess which is easier to regulate, is more visible from a PR standpoint and doesn't affect commerce as much

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Uncle Jam posted:

The EPA center is for OEMs. We don't have emissions testing either, but I guess because Michigan. We have a ban on speed cameras and red light cameras too.

I think this thing is blown out of proportion, because of SEMA. I'm sure there are good companies who are members of SEMA but there's also bullshit like Fuel Doctor and cheap lovely ECU reflashers guaranteed to grenade your engine, and it will be hard to shed tears if those kinds of companies get shut down. They can get hosed.
Considering there are many 400hp+ passenger cars that meet emissions, I don't see the need to remove emissions controls for tracking cars. For sure there are corner cases like LeMons and transiting rally cars that are just in poor condition but I doubt they'll get banned.

every street stock and drag car in America would be subject to this, it's not a small issue

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lol @ Hot Rod calling out dudes in Pro Stock for covering their engines

also lol @ Pro Stock cars being slower than Hot Rod Drag Week cars

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
at least the nets didn't kill him like that one dude

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

hey guys

why in the world is toyota's le mans entry called "gazoo racing"

because it's incredibly annoying and slightly effeminate, clearly

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

The Audi people I spoke to after the race were adamant that the Hurácans were cheating and I was told (with a bit of a smile) that IMSA was impounding cars to check their engines. Looks like they were right.

please keep in mind these are both ostensibly VAG cars

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Seems like a really good way to cut your legs off when the transmission comes apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAhsQvDscK4

e- also they don't have a transmission..... direct drive with a clutch, the clutch is what lets go

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Yeah i'd seen that video before, that's what I was referencing. I wasn't sure if they had only a clutch or not, makes sense since 6000 HP would just fuse everything in the drivetrain together or shred it to pieces.

the funny thing is a modern Top Fuel or Funny car actually uses the welding together of the various clutches in the clutch pack to act as rudimentary gears

once the first two clutches lock, it drops RPM, another locks in, RPM goes down, etc..... they tune traction in via the pressure plate for track and weather conditions

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

the_worm_ posted:

We brought alcohol drag racing to the mountains of Virginia this weekend at a little 1/8 mile track called Eastside Speedway in Waynesboro, VA. When I say backwoods, I mean there is no running water bathrooms, port-o-johns only. This was the 52nd Annual Easter Funny Car and Supercharger Showdown. Narrow track, questionable guardrails, questionable track patrons (we watched a drunk guy roll over a John Deere Gator and bust his head open while we were sitting in the RV. Anyways we won the race for the second straight year. Beat Gary Pritchett in the final for the second straight year. He is the step-son of longtime racer Bunny Burkett. He's married to Top Fuel racer Leah Pritchett.
First pass was a early lift 4.08 at 163. Collected the cones at the end, busted the front wing.
Second pass was a lazy 4.14, he lifted when he didn't see or hear the other car so it would be closer at the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9l50wLrA1Y

We run this 34 Ford body for match races because of this track, we put the funny car in the wall here a few years ago and its so much easier for the driver to see out of this. We'll run the bearings and leakdown the motor, swap the bodies and be at Zmax in three weeks for the 4-Wides.

that thing being narrowed up makes it look like a Crosley

e- also do the actual Altered guys give you poo poo for having a Funny Car chassis?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

the_worm_ posted:

Pretty much everyone runs a standard funny car chassis now just to be safe. Don't get me wrong, I see some deathtraps, but most everyone starts with a funny car chassis.

I was more referring to the guys in Nanook or the Winged Express who grumble to each other at the March Meet lol

e- even the Winged Express has a funny car cage nowadays

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm pretty sure I suggested it years ago and everyone got mad at me

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Dudley posted:

I'm watching that expecting him to clout the wall with every rotation.

reminds me of this

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
here's a better quality version

we ever gonna put catch fencing up on drag strips or do the racers and fans like dying I dunno

e- :siren: fair warning you can see the photographer flopping around on the ground after the crash, likely a good sign but man he got wiped out by that thing

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 11, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

harperdc posted:

I know there's a lot of real life there to deal with (people losing livelihoods mostly) but that has to have an interesting story behind it.

bet this played a part in it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Pablo Bluth posted:

Andy Neate has left the BTCC. It's like Jim Clarke, Ayrton Senna, Gilles Villenuve and Dale Ernhart all died at once.

did he leave the BTCC via a freshly punched hole in the fence while still strapped in his seat?

cause if so, badass

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CactusWeasle posted:

ELMS race is 20 minutes in and there's been like 30 seperate incidents so far

seems low, not many Ferraris entered?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Well, another drag racer airlifted out because drag strips don't have loving catch fences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TmP5KMT_SM

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
To be honest, I don't even think it's been considered at that level. I have no good reason why.

It likely wouldn't help stop an airborne fuel car but at least it'd stop the parts. It likely would have put this car back on the track, though.

e- for fucks sake at least pave the grass lmao

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Holy poo poo the NHRA race in Topeka has already resulted in records being shattered. Matt Hagan went 3.86 at 335 mph in a funny car and Brittany Force went 3.67 in top fuel!

knock em back to 900 feet, they'll slow down!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WindyMan posted:

Non-Nurburgring news. Apparently there was a very bad crash in PWC at Lime Rock Park.

http://sportscar365.com/gt/world-challenge/palmer-de-la-torre-transported-to-hospital-after-major-accident/

I hope everyone is okay.

CT state law requires an investigation after a race track fatality, and the race is on hold due to a police investigation, soooo

:smith:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Well, they probably covered it to protect the evidence if the law states upon injury and not death, so maybe it's not that bad?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
is there really a Manta in this race

the gently caress

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this happened today

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

julian assflange posted:

That's a pro click. I knew the power was over 1000 but never knew it was that much on some of them

To be fair, it's all a bit clinical in the modern cars. Blundell and those guys did it the hard way, straight up, 1,000 on the ground with lag and all that poo poo. Big balls.

The stuff today is as rated, run through a computer brain's algorithms and fed through a traction control system. On paper they have 1,000hp, in actuality the times that the ECU and related software are actually hitting peak power and putting it down are very small per lap.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

harperdc posted:

From what the modern drivers have said in that article and elsewhere, though, it sounds like the electric motor power still hits like a ton of bricks. And I'm guessing they're doing all that with fewer megajoules of total energy (IC/hybrid combined) than cars like the Nissan R90 or even the late '90s ones.

I'm sure they do hit like a ton of bricks, but it's the same controlled hit lap after lap. Drivers can adjust to it. Mechanical turbo cars were far more influenced by weather conditions and throttle position, plus they didn't have traction control to act as a filter.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

Current P1s have tons of launch power, but also tons of grip and electronic help. In early Group C/GTP, you're talking similar power levels but no traction control, no electronic dif, no anti lag, basically no engine drivability to speak of, H-pattern boxes, 2 wheel drive, vastly more primitive shocks, floaty tire compounds, etc.

Some of those onboards of the era are straight scary.

Yup, this is exactly what I mean. Just because a car is faster doesn't make it scarier or harder to drive.

GTP and Group C cars were absolute beasts, wild loving animals. They bit hard, often and with deadly effect.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
BoP is for pussies and bitches that can't handle getting stomped on

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

its also the only way to keep the 'rolling car show' concept of GT racing alive

I mean, I get that, but they have 70 loving classes

make a GTX class, I dunno, but it's bullshit that a team can work their asses off only to be told to put weights in their pockets

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

Um, we tried that once. It turns into a manufacturer arms race and you end up with two Corvette GT1s racing each other. No thanks.

I might be in the minority here but I always kinda viewed endurance racing as a manufacturers arms race. That's like, the entire point of it.

It's pretty easy to cut down on some of the costs, homologation (and loving hold to your required numbers! no exceptions!) and a requirement that x numbers of cars must be available for privateer teams.

Xisticide posted:

Keep the P1s, add in GT1s and have 2 classes that can fight for the overall win like in the late 90s and if one implodes due to crazy spending (like in the late 90s) you won't lose the entire top half of the grid in one go.

this is cool and good

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

The current P1 hybrids have more horsepower, more downforce, and weigh less than any of those cars. (Obviously the Chiron has more power but more than double the mass.)

We are in a true golden age for endurance racing right now.

.... and on the flip side, most of the GT classes are made up of detuned street cars

:psyduck:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

George Zimmer posted:

Engine wise yes, but they have considerably more downforce.

Of course, but that's only because of regulations for street cars. Before 15 years ago or so, nearly every GT car was a stroked up street engine.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The only way it could work, really, is if the ACO and IMSA could get together and pick 6 or 8 12 and 24H races to run as a combined world series, so the draw for manufacturers is as wide as possible. Say, Bathurst, Le Mans, Nurburgring, Daytona, Sebring and Spa

lol @ that, though

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
F1 is NASCAR with a thin veneer of European civilization

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

wicka posted:

please turn in a 30 page paper on this thesis by friday

it's just gonna be "gently caress Bernie France Jr. III" over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WindyMan posted:

Please find some crotchety old-timers who thinking paving the whole road up to the peak has ruined the hill climb and get their expert opinions.

But seriously, ask around and see if newer participants would have done the climb if it was still dirt, or how they think they'd be doing on dirt.

(I'm bitter about them getting rid of the dirt, okay?)

:smith::respek::smith:

• Locked thread