Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

To clarify:

EPA Spokesperson Laura Allen posted:

This clarification does not affect EPA's enforcement authority. It is still illegal to tamper with or defeat the emission control systems of motor vehicles. In the course of selecting cases for enforcement, the EPA has and will continue to consider whether the tampered vehicle is used exclusively for competition. The EPA remains primarily concerned with cases where the tampered vehicle is used on public roads, and more specifically with aftermarket manufacturers who sell devices that defeat emission control systems on vehicles used on public roads.

Who knows what they're going to do with this one, technically, they've been always able to rock your poo poo for club racing if your thing has a VIN on it, they've just never enforced it. If it goes through and they try to kill SCCA etc, someone will come up with a loophole to circumvent it, might make it impossible for you to go and buy a Miata from the lot and strip the guts out and turn it into a MX-5 Cup racer, but there will still be a route for people to get their hands on those cars, modify them, and race them, of that I am sure.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Some of it sounds like this is going after rolling coal asswipes which they deserve a meteor right on them. Bits and pieces of this regulation seem contradictory of itself and overly complicated that it could use refining to give a clearer idea of what the intention is.

Unfortunately, it's going to be impossible to have a civilized discussion of the actual intent of what they're trying to clarify, because it is a hot-button nexus/honeypot of ARE FREEDUMBS, BAH GUBBERMINT, MAH RAIGHTS, and EEEEEPEEEEAAAAAA/FEMA DEATH CAMPS that all feed into each other like a human centipede of hyperbolic reaction and kneejerk bullshit. These groups also tend to have large diesel trucks where they've intentionally disabled the emissions controls on them.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 10, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

So you remember when Lamborghini were kicking the ever loving poo poo against everyone in the gtd class. Well they all had unapproved parts in the air intake and all have 25k fines and point penalties.

Oh and that's another hit on the now dissolved O'Gara team that just dissolved leaving Sweedler and Townsend Bell without a ride now.

Oh that poo poo is just too rich :getin:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Seeing it with this framing in the video really makes you realize that a car like this is literally just an engine with wheels attached to it.

Seems like a really good way to cut your legs off when the transmission comes apart.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAhsQvDscK4

e- also they don't have a transmission..... direct drive with a clutch, the clutch is what lets go

Yeah i'd seen that video before, that's what I was referencing. I wasn't sure if they had only a clutch or not, makes sense since 6000 HP would just fuse everything in the drivetrain together or shred it to pieces.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

Forgot to set an alarm and its red flagged when I wake up. :(

Cygni we're in #f1 talking about nothing at all.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Man Derani is a beast. His time with esm will be over soon and picked up by a manufacture

He's a goddamn magician in a racecar. Passing twice on consecutive laps on the same turn in the same way, and they knew it was coming and could do absolutely nothing to stop him. Wonder if AXE will whine about balance of performance again.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WindyMan posted:

If you didn't see it in the IndyCar thread, a track worker got hit by a car in a domino effect yesterday during the Pro/Celebrity race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHch51jujFk&t=86s

The race was pretty amazing outside of this bit of shitshowiness.

Ahaha what in the gently caress is a yellow flag? The race directors should have penalized each team for that poo poo.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nürburgring has been living up to its nickname of "The Green Hell" for sure.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

There was like 6 or 7 factors that had they been different in those last 3 laps, there would have been a different car at the top of the podium, that race was as close as it gets.

Hell, when they were counting off the seconds it took to push-start the HTP car, it was something like 5.5 seconds. If the car had fired and not needed the assist, it potentially would have been a completely different finish.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Norns posted:

Cuz it's dead sexy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJYXbKpH6OQ

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:rip: The Stig

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wicka posted:

this opinion is honestly worse than racism

Hermann Tilke literally has a 3D drafting program full of Famous Corners that he just reaches into like a grab bag and sticks in his Tilkedromes like a 12 year old with the Forza track editor.

He is a bad track designer and good road tracks use the landscape they are built on for their defining features.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cubey posted:

I'd rather see WEC go to like Road Atlanta or VIR or a track that's actually legitimately good. The Indy road course is still a step up from COTA though so whatever.

They'd never consider it again but the time they did the 12 Hours of Sebring was pretty dope.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Now they have the WEC stream ticket thing where you can do it via computer too, which is my preferred way to do it, one monitor with the global stream, one monitor with timing and scoring and IRC and one monitor I use to follow one of the 12 or so in-car feeds, and when I'm lazy I chromecast the global feed to my living room tv and sit on the couch.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

How in the hell do you lose your jaw but not your head if you're wearing your helmet right? I guess if they don't make them wear full helmets maybe? Bet that poo poo will change now.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If anyone was curious what an in car camera with gentleman racing superstar Vadim Kogay is like, here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeAmLvqAChY

He hits the barrier going about 130kph after realizing that brakes do not always stop you.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 9, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drgitlin posted:

This morning I got invited to go to Le Mans with one of the factory teams and I had to say no :(

I would make that heroic sacrifice and go to le mans in your place gladly

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kilonum posted:

That Tracy Krohn spin :catstare:

They still let him drive?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Trust me, having seen the 919 Hybrids launch out of the final corner at COTA and rocket up to turn 1, you're wrong.

Those things fly like barely caged lightning, they're hitting speeds that weren't sustainable 20 years ago, iirc all of the LMP Hybrids are at least part time AWD so they have double the contact patch to put power to the ground through once they get out of a corner.

Sure a Nissan R90CK with a stuck wastegate was an animal but this year in free practice, every single top Prototype team with the exception of Team Bykolles beat Blundell's pole time. In the case of the Hybrids, they're consistently lapping 10s faster.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

lol ACO just pulled the rug out from under the IMSA teams and told em they can't even run their DPi engines at lemans. Basically have to buy a whole new car to run the 24, after years of saying they wouldn't have to. Ban the ACO and FIA.

Did they even have any IMSA P teams there? If they didn't have any then it's pointless, but yeah I guess if you want to kill off your P2 bracket, that's the way to do it. None of the IMSA teams are going to buy new cars for 1 race if they have no plans of running full time in the WEC.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Warm-ups start in 2h15m :getin:

Are we hijacking an irc channel for play by plays?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 18, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WEC stream is live for warm-ups and pre-race stuff

E: and red flagged for oil on the track near Indianapolis. One of the P2s clouted the wall hard as gently caress and will likely miss the start.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 18, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

#35 crashes now too, we;re gonna be down 2 cars already

He hit hard as gently caress, I hope he didn't crack the tub :ohdear:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cubey posted:

28 car misses the Mulsanne corner for the 4th(?) time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfGjLIPRgDA

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

kill me now posted:

#prayforkaz

honestly hope he doesn't do anything stupid, not even kidding i hope the team looks out for him, losing le mans on the last lap to mechanical failure after essentially a perfect run is brutal, even worse it was a DNQ so Audi loving got a spot on the podium, and they'd been loving it up all race.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Riso posted:

Rumours are turbo failure.

But it didn't poo poo its turbo out the exhaust. Usually with a turbo seizing up it will poo poo the turbo out the exhaust as the vanes inside the impeller section break off.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Goetta posted:

I'm a bit dumb on how endurance race rules work. What would have happened if the Toyota stopped just before the line instead of just after? Could it have held onto podium position still if it rolled over it after the Audi started its lap after the clock hit zero?

It would have had to complete a cool down lap but yes. He kinda screwed up by rolling across the start/finish line, but at the time I'm sure he was hoping to get it going again.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

julian assflange posted:

Bernie is the undead Vince McMahon of Motorsport

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Hello from Pikes Peak! I am at this year's Hillclimb, covering it for Ars Technica and wanted to see if anyone has any questions they want me to ask or cars/teams/drivers they'd like me to talk to etc while I'm here?

Monster Tajima's team and Giti Tires asked me to embed with them for their attempt at the outright victory, but the paddock is even friendlier than your average WEC or IMSA event and people seem happy to chat.

Quite a few interesting EV entries this year. In addition to Tajima-san there's Rhys Millen and his Hankook entry, Acura are here with a basically stock NSX, a pretty heavily modified NSX, and a silhouette car that looks like an NSX but has four motors and torque vectoring (as does Tajima-san, courtesy of Rimac). There's also a Tesla Model S in the production EV class.

My only request is that you :swoon: at everything

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Are the 911 and 912 like required by the rule book to pull dumb gently caress moves and wreck another car every race?

Thats like asking if Ferrari drivers are supposed to crash into everything they possibly can.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was a fan of the DP class when it was Rolex and was never interested in ALMS before the merger, but have slowly become more interested in GT under the IMSA merger, especially GTLM. That could be because the prototype class seems to be dying slowly, with only Action Express (formerly Brumos), WTR, and Spirit of Daytona of all teams (which, to their credit, have become a factor after being a backmarker in the 2000s) being the last teams standing from Rolex DP (Shank is still around, but they changed to the ALMS body style).

I remember when DP had 17-18 full-time cars in 2007 and 2008. Even a few years ago, they still had a bunch of cars and nearly all of them got a win (whatever year they last ran Indianapolis. 2013?).

Prototype goes through cycles where it dies and revives over and over due to cost. We're heading into one of those phases where prototype dies off. GT however is fairly steady and you have extremely skilled drivers in the GT classes as well.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Also keep in mind that we kind of average a rise of a GT1 or similar every ~2 cycles of Proto death, and this will be #2 in recent history so hello longtail GT and widebody Bentley :getin:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anyone going to the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta next week? I'll be camping down by Turn 5 from Thursday through Sunday morning if anyone is.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Postin from the Petit Le Mans at the beginning of the back straight and drat is it loud

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Any other goons at the race this weekend?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gonna have to watch it on youtube when i get back home but it was definitely an exciting race

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Interrupting BTCC chat i found something that likely aligns with this threads interests

holocaust bloopers posted:

Hammond, May, and Clarkson can't legally use the Stig on their new show, so for a driver they uh hired the Stig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYJZG5Og2yg

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Norns posted:

This thing produces my favorite car sounds. Right down to the loud loving brakes.
https://youtu.be/X0fG5UNh1UQ

The Audi 90 GTO really is a magical car. I bought it in iracing a week ago and its like an automotive symphony every time you drive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

Yeah, like I'd assume Chevy aren't exactly short of V8s given pretty much every time I see people talk about putting a V8 in a kit car it's a Chevy.

The LS is an economy of scale thing, dead simple, powerful, and cheap to boot.

• Locked thread