Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Anyone else catch the NHRA Winternationals this past weekend on FS1?

I watched all 3 shows (friday and saturday qualifying, sunday eliminations) and while there was a good number of production gaffes and mistakes given it was the very first time the production had been done in house, I can see where they are going to try and take it and I think it's a major breath of fresh air to the standard "missionary position" coverage ESPN had been doing. I also was very surprised by Tony Pendregon as I thought he did very well considering it was first time as a host. I would assume with 3 or 4 more race weekends under their belt that the FS1/NHRA show will be vastly superior to what ESPN was doing.

Also, the EFI pro stocks were interesting. I guess the Summit boys got sick of getting their asses handed to them last year. They were leaving quick and had a major performance advantage all weekend.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

lol @ Hot Rod calling out dudes in Pro Stock for covering their engines

also lol @ Pro Stock cars being slower than Hot Rod Drag Week cars

How NHRA let them get away with that I don't get it. It was obvious on TV that they were covering them up.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

lol @ Hot Rod calling out dudes in Pro Stock for covering their engines

also lol @ Pro Stock cars being slower than Hot Rod Drag Week cars

I know we've talked about it before here but there really is a gigantic difference in atmosphere around the PS pits. The nitro and sportsman guys are generally all cool as hell and have problem shooting the poo poo with people and/or showing them stuff should their time be free for a moment. The PS pits are like cold war era Russia.

(whoops, didn't mean to double post)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Peanut President posted:

I didn't catch the races, did they show Densham going into the net?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8xAb2OKxoY

Yes they did, although not in real time like that feed showing the response time. He is very lucky he was not on fire, as if you watch how long he sat in that mess before help arrived he surely would've burnt to death. That was a pretty horrific accident, luckily the nets worked.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I loved the FS1 telecast this past weekend. They vastly improved the coverage from Pomona and dare I say it was the best drag racing coverage since the Diamond P days?! Having handheld cameras on the starting line is great. Also Leah Pritchett owns and that's the first race of many she is going to win.

Also, I saw this video on YellowBullet earlier today and it's great. It's one of the best nitro warmup videos I've seen as you can clearly see and hear when they switch from alcohol to nitro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C62J7bjpfx4

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Geez and the hits keep on coming for the drag racing community - Bob Vandergriff Jr. just announced he is retiring immediately, fired his whole staff and pulled his two top fuel cars from competition. What an incredibly lovely thing to do only a few races into the season (one in which they've had success!).

Terrible couple days for drag racing.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah basically what happened is the CEO of C&J Energy (who was a big drag racing fan and friend of Bob Vandergriff) passed away and basically immediately the board decided to cut the motorsports funding as their business (like most of oil and gas right now) is in the tank.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Holy poo poo the NHRA race in Topeka has already resulted in records being shattered. Matt Hagan went 3.86 at 335 mph in a funny car and Brittany Force went 3.67 in top fuel!

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 21, 2016

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

theacox posted:

Ever heard of Bob Riggle? How about the Hemi Under Glass? OK I get it you're probably not drag racing fans. Surely, you're familiar with Jay Leno.

He and Bob take the old Hemi Under Glass wheelstander for a spin, and things get interesting.

I'm glad everyone was ok there. You could tell Bob was as embarrassed as he was stunned. Why they did that there and not on a drag strip is sort of baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I went to eliminations yesterday at the NHRA AAA Nationals in St. Louis and within 5 minutes of walking into the pit area from the parking lot, I was immediately downwind of Brittany Force's top fueler when it fired up for the warm-ups and I got an unexpected huff of straight nitromethane exiting the pipes. My sinuses immediately unloaded and my eyes started watering and wouldn't stop. I toughed it out for a couple hours in the stands as I brought a buddy who was having a great time, but eventually had to leave because my eyes and sinuses were too much. He had to drive home as I could hardly keep my eyes open as they burned like a mother. I got home and flushed my eyes out in the shower for like 15 minutes and felt much better, but everything was still pretty f'ed up. I woke up this morning and while much better, I still felt like I had a bad cold so I figured i better head to the doctor.

Turns out I have a mild case of nitromethane poisoning and severely irritated eyes. Was given special eye drops and im already feeling much better at least.

Nitro is no loving joke. It's never bothered me before, but after this miserable experience I think I'm going to keep my rear end out of the pits when cars are warming up. Well, or at least be more cognizant of what's going on.

• Locked thread