Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend is hooked on Pokemon Go and is all nostalgic for the Pokemon TCG, and I'd like to play with her. She wants the physical cards though. I bought her the Pikachu Generations box, but of course that's not a deck. I saw starter decks in my LGS, but they use Pokemon we've never heard of.

Do any of the theme decks currently in Standard format have lots of Gen 1 Pokemon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

My girlfriend is hooked on Pokemon Go and is all nostalgic for the Pokemon TCG, and I'd like to play with her. She wants the physical cards though. I bought her the Pikachu Generations box, but of course that's not a deck. I saw starter decks in my LGS, but they use Pokemon we've never heard of.

Do any of the theme decks currently in Standard format have lots of Gen 1 Pokemon?

They try to mix the gens of pokemon in each starter, and each sets starters try and focus on cool new pokemon, since the current theme is X&Y, so unfortunately, you won't be able to find a standard legal starters with only gen 1 pokemon. Luckily if you buy any starter deck from XY Primal Clash and forward, the entire deck will be standard legal.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Storm_Rider_(TCG)

This one has the most gen 1 pokemon.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was looking at the Pokemon packs at my LGS when a bunch of the Pokemon kids saw me and got really excited that I was going to play. I bought that duel deck with the VS Seekers, Octillery, etc., traded some Magic bulk for some other stuff, and the guys handed me like $80 worth of cards. :3: Now I have a "competitive" Gyarados deck even though I don't plan on playing in tournaments.

Today I found out that one of the kids who was always nice to me got banned from the store for stealing a card from his friend and trying to sell it to him. Not the smartest thing to try to do. :saddowns: He wasn't one of the ones who gave me cards, so I don't need to worry whether or not I have stolen cards in my deck.

The game doesn't feel super interactive. You can force your opponent to swap out Pokemon that you can kill easier than their M-Ex counterparts, but you're basically reliant on what they do. I know the game isn't actually aimed at my demographic so I shouldn't expect much, but still, just wondering.

Is there a reason I shouldn't play one or two Lysandre's Trump Card, a bunch of cantrip-type item cards, and the bare minimum amount of supporters? So far I'm getting stuck with a hand of supporters when I can only play one a turn, but there seem to be enough non-supporter trainer cards that I can just cycle through my deck for whatever card I need, playing that Trump Card to recycle my deck when I'm in danger of decking. Just theorycrafting here.

DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009
Lysandre's Trump Card is banned from all sanctioned tournaments for exactly those reasons.

If you're coming from MTG, then yes it's a lot less interactive. You can still apply plenty of disruption to your opponent (Remove their energy, force them to discard or shuffle cards back into their library, prevent them from playing certain cards), but only on your turn. There's still plenty of strategy involved, but it's more about playing around the math and pokemon abilities involved rather than directly destroying pokemon with cards from your hand.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DarciisFyer posted:

Lysandre's Trump Card is banned from all sanctioned tournaments for exactly those reasons.

If you're coming from MTG, then yes it's a lot less interactive. You can still apply plenty of disruption to your opponent (Remove their energy, force them to discard or shuffle cards back into their library, prevent them from playing certain cards), but only on your turn. There's still plenty of strategy involved, but it's more about playing around the math and pokemon abilities involved rather than directly destroying pokemon with cards from your hand.

Oof. Well I'm glad I could spot a broken card after playing three whole games of this card game in my life.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Pokemon is a real motherfucker of a change from Magic because card draw is so much more prevalent. The Pokemon version of Ancestral Recall is actually underpowered.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Poison Mushroom posted:

Pokemon is a real motherfucker of a change from Magic because card draw is so much more prevalent. The Pokemon version of Ancestral Recall is actually underpowered.

well it's "ancestral recall then you can only play garbage for the rest of the turn"

still pretty crazy cuz in magic "skip your next turn draw 4 cards" is a good card in the right deck

anyway lysandre's trump card kinda broke one of the fundamental design rules of pokemon in standard, which is that it should be hard to recur items (not supporters) or nonbasic energies.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
my kid has $15 and wants to buy some pokemon cards. I want to get the most cards that have pictures of pokemon on them that I can. Is my best bet an ebay set of 50 or 100 random cards?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
are you going for online cards or paper cards

do you just want cool looking cards or do you want a pretty good deck

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
paper cards, just pretty cards

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
oh then like, yeah ebay is probably a reasonable source. a lot of cool looking cards aren't very valuable because they don't see tournament play, while a lot of the value in decks is coalesced into a few key cards such as the esteemed Shaymin EX (Roaring Skies)

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Zoness posted:

oh then like, yeah ebay is probably a reasonable source. a lot of cool looking cards aren't very valuable because they don't see tournament play, while a lot of the value in decks is coalesced into a few key cards such as the esteemed Shaymin EX (Roaring Skies)

cool, tyvm

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Message me, I'll send you a 1-2 full arts I'm never going to play ever.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Competitive MTG players here, just read through the thread, as my 7 year old son has started playing the paper game.

Is there a thread for the physical card game? I'm trying to figure out what the best way to buy cards is for ultra-casual play.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jorath posted:

Competitive MTG players here, just read through the thread, as my 7 year old son has started playing the paper game.

Is there a thread for the physical card game? I'm trying to figure out what the best way to buy cards is for ultra-casual play.
If you want a deck that feels a little better/more consistent/more fun to play, but two copies of the same starter deck, and build one decent deck from the two. Pokemon starter decks almost unilaterally have a problem that just about everything in them is a 1-of or 2-of, in a 60-card deck with a 4-of maximum. I think you can see what the problem is.

Edit Fair warning, card-draw is super ubiquitous in Pokemon, so deck building is really different than MtG. A decent rule of thumb, about half your deck should probably be trainers, the other 30 split fairly evenly between Pokemon and Energy.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
There's also a new battle arena deck set as well. They're like duel decks in magic, bit actually competitive. If you pick up two you'll have a high end water deck for expanded. It's super cool.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Elblanco posted:

There's also a new battle arena deck set as well. They're like duel decks in magic, bit actually competitive. If you pick up two you'll have a high end water deck for expanded. It's super cool.

Do this one, get two of them for the reasons said above.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
The rayquaza vs. Keldeo one?

I bought the greninja deck and tweaked it with the blue intro deck deck for learning to play. When I get greninja or cuicune in play I generally win.

What is a good deck to combine into an electric deck? My son has the manectric deck + Pikachu Libre.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, that's the one. Rayquaza has good electric support, and Magnezone just lets you attach energy whenever/whatever.

Are you guys doing leagues or just playing at home? Also, what's his favourite Pokémon?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
The keldeo half is nuts, 2 of those sets gets you like 95% of a high end expanded deck. It's crazy that they put it in there.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Moriatti posted:

Yeah, that's the one. Rayquaza has good electric support, and Magnezone just lets you attach energy whenever/whatever.

Are you guys doing leagues or just playing at home? Also, what's his favourite Pokémon?

Just playing at home. He only learned how to read in the past 6 months, so the fact that he can play is amazing. He loves his snorlax, but has no way to put it to sleep I his electric deck. He also loves his kangastan, but really needs to get some double - colorless energy to make either of them playable.

We are so new that we only have enough energy cards to make the two decks we have. It's tough for me to adjust, as I have a 30,000 card MTG collection and normally just buy the cards I want online. I've only bought us some professor sycamore cards online so far- trying to teach him how to spend his money wisely.

I'll check out those decks. Maybe I'll split the cost with him. Is there any reason to buy in the store vs online?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Jorath posted:

Just playing at home. He only learned how to read in the past 6 months, so the fact that he can play is amazing. He loves his snorlax, but has no way to put it to sleep I his electric deck. He also loves his kangastan, but really needs to get some double - colorless energy to make either of them playable.

We are so new that we only have enough energy cards to make the two decks we have. It's tough for me to adjust, as I have a 30,000 card MTG collection and normally just buy the cards I want online. I've only bought us some professor sycamore cards online so far- trying to teach him how to spend his money wisely.

I'll check out those decks. Maybe I'll split the cost with him. Is there any reason to buy in the store vs online?

There is a Hypno that puts both your pokemon an your opponents' Pokemon to sleep, also, you can dig into old cards and get some fun Snorlax that don't quite hold up and are neither expanded or standard legal, but are still quite fun! Though there is a new one coming out that looks very fun as a promo for Sun and Moon.

Buy in a store if you have a local gameshop, online if you don't.

The Keldeo vs Rayquaza set might be easier to find in a target than online though.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
If you haven't seen it yet, the site for Evolutions is pretty great.

http://xy12.pokemontcgxy.com/en-us/home.php

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
And Evolutions should be available to purchase in the shop today. :dance:

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

BJPaskoff posted:

Webbeh posted:

And Evolutions should be available to purchase in the shop today. :dance:
Tying these posts together. The Evolutions theme decks... really are subpar, compared to some of the better recent ones. But they are out, exist, and focus on Base Set-looking cards, so there's that.

Poison Mushroom posted:

If you want a deck that feels a little better/more consistent/more fun to play, but two copies of the same starter deck, and build one decent deck from the two. Pokemon starter decks almost unilaterally have a problem that just about everything in them is a 1-of or 2-of, in a 60-card deck with a 4-of maximum. I think you can see what the problem is.

Edit Fair warning, card-draw is super ubiquitous in Pokemon, so deck building is really different than MtG. A decent rule of thumb, about half your deck should probably be trainers, the other 30 split fairly evenly between Pokemon and Energy.
This thread does that for you for most theme decks, and a few other products.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

jhorphear posted:

if you traded your shaymin for 35 packs of steam seige you got ripped off. Those are selling for like 45+ packs.

I have been fed up wit MTGO being such a dog and pony show for long enough now that when the TCC professor streamed some Pokemon TCG the other night I immediately DL'd it after he sang the praises of their rewards system for logging in/playing casual games/winning games. This is what is bothering me though because I am a huge grognard, where can I find the value of the cards I want to trade so I don't get shanked and left in an alley for my good cards. IGN is Pokeballerdude if anyone can help me with getting together the U Blastoise/rain dance? deck because it looks super fun and Blastoise seems to be the most spendy card in the deck I just don't know whats a fair price for stuff atm.

Also anyone got a good hook up for booster pack codes? I know it has been a while since zoness posted about 30 codes for $4 but anything close to that sounds amazing if it's still possible

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 26, 2016

DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009

PleasantDirge posted:

I have been fed up wit MTGO being such a dog and pony show for long enough now that when the TCC professor streamed some Pokemon TCG the other night I immediately DL'd it after he sang the praises of their rewards system for logging in/playing casual games/winning games. This is what is bothering me though because I am a huge grognard, where can I find the value of the cards I want to trade so I don't get shanked and left in an alley for my good cards. IGN is Pokeballerdude if anyone can help me with getting together the U Blastoise/rain dance? deck because it looks super fun and Blastoise seems to be the most spendy card in the deck I just don't know whats a fair price for stuff atm.

Also anyone got a good hook up for booster pack codes? I know it has been a while since zoness posted about 30 codes for $4 but anything close to that sounds amazing if it's still possible

Card values: http://www.ou7c4st.com/card-values.html
Note that these prices are from a trading company, so slightly overpriced compared to what you can get posting your own deals on public trades.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

thank you this was super helpful, I popped my two packs of fates collide that I got and got two mews, a rare candy, and 1 trash rare and was feeling p good about myself and my poor choices to crack packs. Thanks to your link I now know I have enough for 2x Blastoise that I want and can start building my stupid water deck.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Long shot but I figured I'll ask here.

I'm GMing some tabletop for my friends and their kids, and unsurprisingly they're Pokemon fans. Anyone know where I could get the figures from the Pokemon big boxes you occasionally see at Target/Walmart? Searching "Pokemon miniatures" on eBay brings an endless sea.

Can't exactly drop a ton of cash but figure there's gotta be some people out there with a cache sitting around.

Thanks!

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

You can get some of them from Troll & Toad among other places. Alternatively, if you know anyone that plays the physical TCG, you could always offer to toss 'em a few bucks for a figure from whatever Collection box they may be thinking of buying.

Like, offer to toss them $3 towards a Solgaleo Alola Collection that they planned on buying, so you can get the figure. That sort of thing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Volfogg posted:

You can get some of them from Troll & Toad among other places. Alternatively, if you know anyone that plays the physical TCG, you could always offer to toss 'em a few bucks for a figure from whatever Collection box they may be thinking of buying.

Like, offer to toss them $3 towards a Solgaleo Alola Collection that they planned on buying, so you can get the figure. That sort of thing.

That was the original plan but finding physical players is apparently difficult. That or they're little kids who get dropped off for a couple of hours and I'm not gonna go up and offer them cash for toys.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PJOmega posted:

That was the original plan but finding physical players is apparently difficult. That or they're little kids who get dropped off for a couple of hours and I'm not gonna go up and offer them cash for toys.

If it isn't too much effort, you could check your Pokemon Leagues nearby on the Pokemon.com website, under Play! Pokemon.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

PJOmega posted:

I've found a lot of places have a "parents league" who originally came with their kids and then started playing to pass the time. All the one's I have been part of are also very open to non-parents kicking it with them.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lorak posted:

If it isn't too much effort, you could check your Pokemon Leagues nearby on the Pokemon.com website, under Play! Pokemon.

I'll give that a shot. Thank you!

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

So what counts as a "block" and when is rotation? I thought on heard a streamer talk about XY being a part of standard for 2 years? They also mentioned packs becoming scarce while the set is still standard legal. The big box stores in town seem to only have the most recent and trash packs on the shelf but I live in a college town so idk if its grognards or what.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PleasantDirge posted:

So what counts as a "block" and when is rotation? I thought on heard a streamer talk about XY being a part of standard for 2 years? They also mentioned packs becoming scarce while the set is still standard legal. The big box stores in town seem to only have the most recent and trash packs on the shelf but I live in a college town so idk if its grognards or what.

A "block" will usually refer to a group of sets (of cards), usually broken up by different games. XY block, Black/White block, HeartGold/SoulSilver block, etc. Some use it to refer to subgroups within those blocks that are rotated out, such as XY through Phantom Forces moving out of the Standard format once September rolled around.

Rotation is a way to remove cards from the main format of Standard, changing up what become the new best-decks-in-format, by making those rotated sets not legal for the Standard tournament format, excluding any cards contained within those sets that have been reprinted in a later, still-legal set. One example of this would be the card Devolution Spray. (It allow allows Nintendo to sell new cards, instead of everyone using the "best" cards forever and ever. :v: )

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Rotation happens once a year right after world's. So we just had rotation making standard primal clash forward. The blocks themselves don't really matter since the Pokemon company just seems to randomly pick which part of the block is no longer legal.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Elblanco posted:

Rotation happens once a year right after world's. So we just had rotation making standard primal clash forward. The blocks themselves don't really matter since the Pokemon company just seems to randomly pick which part of the block is no longer legal.

OK, so once a year we get a random swath of cards NOT based on the what set it comes from. Is the Pokemon company pretty good at curating whats in standard? Do we get a spoiler season like in MTG or do they just dump the cards on or around release date to us? Sorry if I am being a pain in the rear end, I have never played anything but MTG and the compare/contrast is really interesting to me bc I'm a huge nerd

Side note: if rotation just happened I should still be chasing those Shaymin EX's bc I have time to find them and play with them for a minute right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

PleasantDirge posted:

OK, so once a year we get a random swath of cards NOT based on the what set it comes from. Is the Pokemon company pretty good at curating whats in standard? Do we get a spoiler season like in MTG or do they just dump the cards on or around release date to us? Sorry if I am being a pain in the rear end, I have never played anything but MTG and the compare/contrast is really interesting to me bc I'm a huge nerd

Side note: if rotation just happened I should still be chasing those Shaymin EX's bc I have time to find them and play with them for a minute right?

It's not really a random swath of cards, they do choose full sets, it's just not really based on the blocks. They just took out close to half of the sets in XY, no idea WHY they chose those sets, it's just what they did. So like the first 5 XY sets are no longer standard legal. Shaymin is fine though, they stopped just short of Roaring Skies. so you have another year to use them.

As for spoilers, since the game is released in Japan before here, as apposed to a worldwide release, we get a good idea of what's in the set well before release. American sets are usually made up of 2 or so Japanese sets, plus a few cards from supplemental products, like half decks and stuff. Pokebeach is a really good resource for keeping up with spoilers, and serebii keeps track of entire sets when the launch as well.

• Locked thread