Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

PleasantDirge posted:

OK, so once a year we get a random swath of cards NOT based on the what set it comes from. Is the Pokemon company pretty good at curating whats in standard? Do we get a spoiler season like in MTG or do they just dump the cards on or around release date to us? Sorry if I am being a pain in the rear end, I have never played anything but MTG and the compare/contrast is really interesting to me bc I'm a huge nerd
To clarify on the response in the post above mine, it is "random" insomuch as they may reprint cards, which would keep cards from the rotated sets from rotating out, but yes, otherwise, they go out of the Standard format. It's usually four sets per year, which means...

PleasantDirge posted:

Side note: if rotation just happened I should still be chasing those Shaymin EX's bc I have time to find them and play with them for a minute right?
... that Shaymin-EX (Roaring Skies) is still good until the next rotation in September, when it is "due" to be rotated, as usually, at least two sets are rotated out of the Standard format. It will probably play a role in the Expanded format (which is current Black and White-onward), but without a reprint, would leave th Standard format. (Which, given its rarity and pricey, somewhat overcentralized draw-support role, would be considered by many to be a good thing.)

Lorak fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Elblanco posted:

It's not really a random swath of cards, they do choose full sets, it's just not really based on the blocks. They just took out close to half of the sets in XY, no idea WHY they chose those sets, it's just what they did. So like the first 5 XY sets are no longer standard legal. Shaymin is fine though, they stopped just short of Roaring Skies. so you have another year to use them.

They rotated all of the XY video game era sets, and now the sets from when ORAS came out and on are legal. It wasn't really that random. The same thing happened with the two previous rotations as well. Last rotation was XY video game era and on, the one before that was BW2 video game era and on. Next rotation isn't likely to be as clear-cut though. They probably will only take out PRC/ROS/AOR and be BREAK series on, then the 2019 rotation after that being Sun/Moon on.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Flagrama posted:

They rotated all of the XY video game era sets, and now the sets from when ORAS came out and on are legal. It wasn't really that random. The same thing happened with the two previous rotations as well. Last rotation was XY video game era and on, the one before that was BW2 video game era and on. Next rotation isn't likely to be as clear-cut though. They probably will only take out PRC/ROS/AOR and be BREAK series on, then the 2019 rotation after that being Sun/Moon on.

Thanks for everyone's response, everyone here has been super helpful. If anyone wants to trade I have a modest pile of non bulk rares and uncommons that I will take packs or stuff on my wishlist for, IGN is pokeballerdude just msg me if you see me on

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Hey y'all--just got a new ipad and stumbled on to this game by just being a pokemon fan

I've never played a TCG but the tutorial is pretty good and I've got a good hold of the mechanics

Apart from the stuff mentioned in the OP, anything else I should know about this game? Should I basically 5 star all of the challenge poo poo before jumping into fighting real people?

Also is Challenge offline? Is there an offline mode at all?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

Hey y'all--just got a new ipad and stumbled on to this game by just being a pokemon fan

I've never played a TCG but the tutorial is pretty good and I've got a good hold of the mechanics

Apart from the stuff mentioned in the OP, anything else I should know about this game? Should I basically 5 star all of the challenge poo poo before jumping into fighting real people?

No offline mode unfortunately. I wouldn't jump into versus until you're comfortable with the game. Luckily there's a Theme Deck format as well, so you don't really have to worry about havng a proper deck, there's even tournaments! Though 5 staring is a good way to expand your collection, grinding through the versus latter every 3 weeks is good too, you get a ton of coins and packs, plus a few ex's, at least if they're any good that season. You can also get a deck pretty easy if you buy some real product too, since everything in the physical card game comes with a code card to get it online as well. The last 2 battle arena decks are good for jumping into the game but are only legal in the Expanded format.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Waffles Inc. posted:

I don't think you should have and hard rules about what/when to play, there is a pretty decent variety of decks in Vs play and since you aren't paying I would say the fun you have is most important. My advice to you when you get cards you actually own is never trade without looking up prices or asking someone here first, the trade section of the game is a field of landmines and dog turds.

Speaking of, I picked up a case's worth of booster packs off a local card store employee for some EDH cards and spent very few of those packs building the 2nd place Greninja deck from worlds this year and it is a riot to play. I even made a few tiny adjustments and made a standard version of the deck and it's def sweeter than it is powerful but I really don't care because it has tendancy to either snipe an early win or come back from what looks like the most miserable opening hands. Living and dying on its mulligans is also a fun game to play and won game after drawing 2 talonflame's in a row turns 2 and 3 with a lone froakie holding down the fort.

What would be a good tier 1-1.5 deck for standard that has a minimum of Shaymin-EX's that I could play? I have 1 and could probably get 1 more but that would limit my budget for the rest of the deck and I would rather not blow everything on one standard deck if I could avoid it.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PleasantDirge posted:

What would be a good tier 1-1.5 deck for standard that has a minimum of Shaymin-EX's that I could play? I have 1 and could probably get 1 more but that would limit my budget for the rest of the deck and I would rather not blow everything on one standard deck if I could avoid it.

Here's not a bad place to start.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Couldn't remember my old info, so I guess I'm starting from square one.

Oops. Which of the current theme decks are worth getting?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 3, 2016

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

Couldn't remember my old info, so I guess I'm starting from square one.

Oops. Which of the current theme decks are worth getting?
Two copies of the Greninja theme deck are a pretty decent start to combine. Low Energy attackers, and free Retreat, is a lot to like in my book. Slowking can help you slow your opponents' Energy attachment, and Slowpoke can get you those Pokemon out faster. Golduck provides a usable secondary attacker.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Lorak posted:

Two copies of the Greninja theme deck are a pretty decent start to combine. Low Energy attackers, and free Retreat, is a lot to like in my book. Slowking can help you slow your opponents' Energy attachment, and Slowpoke can get you those Pokemon out faster. Golduck provides a usable secondary attacker.

This and if you want to get crazy 2x copies of the deck will give you the base for the standard/UL Greninja Break deck. Which I found out is crap without pokemon ranger in it. slowpoke is a way better draw engine than doduo, Golduck and cloyster both can do a little work with surf and cloysters free paralyze on evo can be pretty helpful when timed right. Def not a bad way to spend 1k coins for sure. The only other deck I like is Mewtwo mayhem, it's not great but if you want to put in some packs a lot of the good to decent mew cards are not that spendy and can placehold for the higher priced cards in the mean time.

Also anyone have a bot for trades yet? I see some deals go down because ppl look up prices of cards in flat packs and don't understand not all packs are equal in value and the only deals you usually see in trade are the garbage rip off ones that nobody smart will ever accept. This is a good thing

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 4, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Sorry to drop in on this thread like this, but is there a thread for the Pokemon collectable card game ie "real" cards? My son is big into it and with it coming up to Christmas I want to figure out what would be the best thing to buy him. I glanced at Amazon and even as a former Magic The Gathering player, and current Hearthstone player, I am completely baffled.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

kaesarsosei posted:

Sorry to drop in on this thread like this, but is there a thread for the Pokemon collectable card game ie "real" cards? My son is big into it and with it coming up to Christmas I want to figure out what would be the best thing to buy him. I glanced at Amazon and even as a former Magic The Gathering player, and current Hearthstone player, I am completely baffled.
Most of the questions that extend to the virtual game apply to the "real" TCG as well. I (and I presume the rest of us) can offer suggestions, but a few bits of information more would be useful:

1. Does he play the game competitively, collect as much as he can, or both?
2. Does he attend a Pokemon League, go to any Prerelease events, or take part in any tournaments? If so, ask him if he plays Standard, Expanded, or both. (If he plays competitively, he'll know what you mean. If he doesn't, asking him if he uses cards as old as Black and White should clarify.)
3. Does he have a favorite Pokemon?
4. What are his favorite decks to use? Survive the deluge of jargon that you receive with this answer; alternatively, ask if you can see his decks, and post some of the names of the Pokemon (not mana-like Energy cards or Trainer cards) that you find in those decks.

Collectors may value certain gifts more highly than competitive players. For example. while I would love to get the Super Premium Collection for its included art book, I already functionally own almost everything else in there: storage boxes and dividers from the Elite Trainer Box products, equally-usable reprints of the promo cards, and probably every card that would come out of those included booster packs.

That said, I have a weak spot for various forms of holographic basic Energy cards, which may not be any different functionally than the ones that come out of theme decks, but come on. The EX: Emerald basic Energy cards were some of the most beautiful for the Pokemon TCG, and it saddens me that we never got Dark, Metal, or Fairy prints of them. (Considering the last type didn't exist until XY, and the former two weren't basic Energy types until DP, this can be forgiven.)

More information can also be helpful, such as where we might suggest the Colorless Pokemon named Shaymin-EX from Roaring Skies if on a higher budget, or a functionally similar albeit slower line of Octillery if we're talking about lower-level play, at a much lower price.

Lorak fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 7, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
He's only 10 and only plays with his friends at school during lunch, breaks, after-class club etc so its not terribly competitive. I think he just likes to have lots of good cards to play with and "show-off" and I think he likes the shiny foil cards. I think I'm just looking for the best way to get him a load of cards that won't be useless to him. His collection isn't massive by any means so I don't think there's too much concern about getting him dupes (if thats even an issue), and he can always trade them if I do.

Back when I played MTG I would have bought myself a box of boosters when a new set came out, I think around £80 at the time for was it about 40x15 packs of cards? Is there something like that although not as expensive since this is more of a stocking filler? I'm thinking £20-£40 range.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
An elite trainer kit would work. Its like a fat pack on mtg, but a bit better. It's 8 booster packs, a ton of energy, at least 60 sleeves, 6 dice and a few other things. Should be right in you price range. Otherwise, most big box stores and game shops should have the big bundles that have special ex cards and a few booster as well. There are also tins too, which come with an ex Pokemon and like 4 packs, all in a tin box.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Is it a "known" bug or weirdness in the AI that I can sometimes sweep an entire team with a Zubat attacking benched pokemon? Like, the AI will lead with something that could get enough energy to OHKO it and then just let me sit there and swing away. Is there something in its AI that it sees using a non-attack support ability as a higher priority than KOing a basic pokemon whose attack doesn't deal direct damage?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

On an unrelated note, is Air Slash Noivern anywhere near the top meta at the moment? I just got taken the hell apart by a theme deck with that. I have no idea how you even stop 120 damage

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
That deck is pretty good in the theme deck format, but nowhere else. Ex Pokemon can regularly do that much or more damage with one attack. This game is loving insane.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

Is it a "known" bug or weirdness in the AI that I can sometimes sweep an entire team with a Zubat attacking benched pokemon? Like, the AI will lead with something that could get enough energy to OHKO it and then just let me sit there and swing away. Is there something in its AI that it sees using a non-attack support ability as a higher priority than KOing a basic pokemon whose attack doesn't deal direct damage?
This game is basically the real sequel to the Pokemon TCG gameboy game, shoddy AI included.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm looking for some help tweaking a deck? I don't know sets very well, so this is my best way I know to describe them.

Water You Waiting For (Extended)
Pokemon (13)
3 Articuno Plus
2 Bubble Froakie
1 Clone Frogadier
2 Lick Frogadier
1 Shuriken Greninja
2 Moonlight Greninja
2 Errands Lapras

Trainers (37)
4 Acro Bike
4 Dive Ball
2 Great Ball
4 Professor's Letter
1 VS Seeker
2 Fisherman
3 Giovanni's Scheme
2 Pokemon Fan Club
3 Wally
2 Rough Seas
2 Healing Scarf
2 Muscle Band
2 Rocky Helmet

Energy (10)
8 Water Energy
2 Splash Energy

Water Shuriken is crazy good, so I know I want more of that Greninja. I'm guessing I should lean into clone-Frogadier + Wally/Dive Ball/whatever to rush them? Lapras is a great opening wall so far (Errands is crazy good), I'd love to get more than 2 but I'm not sure how to make room for more.

Low Froakie count is entirely to try and prevent one-Froakie opening hands.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I also just started this game, and based on this list I think I would like the Volcanion deck the most, so I got Gears of Fire deck from the shop with my first 500 coins! I know that puts me nowhere near the deck really, but oh well, small steps.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Water shuriken is indeed great. That's what makes Greninja-break so fun. If you put Greninja break on a water shuriken greninja, you'll be able to use both a 30 damage shuriken, and a 60 damage shuriken.

As for pokemon count, 4 of the good frogadier (clone) is pretty important. The way this deck gets to play its greninjas is through a wall of frogadiers.

As for your Trainers, you need more ways to draw cards. The game provides you with a ton of utilities to do that. Professor Sycamore, N, and Ace Trainer are all amazing cards. VS seeker is also an insanely good card, so you probably want 4 of those. This isn't particular to this deck, it's just that there are some cards that belong in almost every deck.

Great ball just isn't a very good card in general. You'd probably be better off with ultra balls, or level balls, or really just cutting them.
Healing Scarf doesn't really do much for you. Your greninjas take one energy to be fully powered up, and you want to be spending all of your spare energy on water shuriken and not healing.
3 Giovannis is way to many. It already takes a lot to make it do work (especially without any ultra balls)

If you like Breakpoint Lapras, you're going to love Steam Siege Talonflame. One more health. Zero retreat cost. Deals 40 damage instead of zero. Searches for two cards without any restrictions on what kind. This card is seriously nuts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Can you bullshit me an ideal deck list? Can I keep at least one or two Articuno Plus? I love that card fit finishing off shuriken weakened EXs.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Water shuriken is indeed great. That's what makes Greninja-break so fun. If you put Greninja break on a water shuriken greninja, you'll be able to use both a 30 damage shuriken, and a 60 damage shuriken.

As for pokemon count, 4 of the good frogadier (clone) is pretty important. The way this deck gets to play its greninjas is through a wall of frogadiers.

As for your Trainers, you need more ways to draw cards. The game provides you with a ton of utilities to do that. Professor Sycamore, N, and Ace Trainer are all amazing cards. VS seeker is also an insanely good card, so you probably want 4 of those. This isn't particular to this deck, it's just that there are some cards that belong in almost every deck.

Great ball just isn't a very good card in general. You'd probably be better off with ultra balls, or level balls, or really just cutting them.
Healing Scarf doesn't really do much for you. Your greninjas take one energy to be fully powered up, and you want to be spending all of your spare energy on water shuriken and not healing.
3 Giovannis is way to many. It already takes a lot to make it do work (especially without any ultra balls)

If you like Breakpoint Lapras, you're going to love Steam Siege Talonflame. One more health. Zero retreat cost. Deals 40 damage instead of zero. Searches for two cards without any restrictions on what kind. This card is seriously nuts.

Mostly this, you want lvl balls to search for froakies and your first frogadier and your dive balls to search up those pokes plus greninja and greninja break. The break deck goes all in on greninja/break so you run 3-4-4-3 (froakie,frogadier,greninja,break) and 4 talonflame to help you search out whatever poke or trainer support/item you need in your hand next turn with 40 DMG a turn to boot. You only run 10-12 energy because you have three different cards to recycle energy/pokes back from the discard pile. Since you have nothing but cards that search for what you want and what you want the decks biggest weakness is RNGeesus. If you don't mind losing because the cards just fell wrong and you didn't get what you needed at the right time its super fun to play in standard and extended.

Also forget articuno, with 0 retreat cost you can water shuriken, retreat, water shuriken, then return an energy for the bonus damage/have a water energy for your shuriken retreat shuffle next turn for up to 200 DMG per turn which is an instant knockout for most pokemon and with rough seas out along with 3 breaks any attack that does less than 90 damage does nothing because by the time they get back into play they will each have full health again. This is why we don't do lapras or articuno, talonflame does the same thing in one poke plus more. That being said I have seen greninja break decks that run octillery to refill their hands I just don't think they are better than a good split of N + juniper/sycamore with ace trainer.

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 9, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've gotten a few other EXs from packs and stuff but IDK if I can trade any of them? Gotten them all from Trainer challenge. What kinds of packs should I be trying to open? Just Steam Siege?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

I've gotten a few other EXs from packs and stuff but IDK if I can trade any of them? Gotten them all from Trainer challenge. What kinds of packs should I be trying to open? Just Steam Siege?

Free packs? Breakpoint for greninja break and steam siege for talonflame. Real packs? Never ever. You trade them for cards you need to play. The cards you get from free packs are not trade able. If you want you can get all the froakie/frogadier/greninja you need to play from 2 copies of the greninja theme deck so only 1000 coins.

Greninja break runs 7-8 packs, talonflame is 2 packs, everything else is 1 pack or less with most of the trainer cards being vital to at least 1 other kind of deck.

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 9, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Doesn't the Greninja deck (the G/W one) have the other kind of Greninja? Or did I buy the wrong theme deck. :downs:

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

Doesn't the Greninja deck (the G/W one) have the other kind of Greninja? Or did I buy the wrong theme deck. :downs:

The one w/ water shuriken is a 1 of in the extended deck BC its not standard legal and shadow stitch is more important on top of being 10 more damage. Its not as much of a free roll as garbador but it does a good enough impression to win some games.

Ou7c4st.com has a good deck list posted up, the only change I want to make is +1 Pokemon ranger or a card that finds it but I don't know what to cut.

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 9, 2016

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Since you seem like you're not really sure of the best way of getting these cards: The best way to get tradable packs while playing online is to play tournaments. I'd recommend theme deck tournaments, since you're not at a disadvantage because of your collection, but the theme deck tournaments right now have really bad payouts (the payout structure cycles as time goes on). Either wait until theme deck tournaments have an entry in tickets and a payout in packs, or try your hand at another format. It really only costs you your time to try, as tournament tickets are hilariously easy to accumulate.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Jeezy creezy is the third tier of the ladder something crazy. No more joke decks and way less 1-2 turn Adolph quitlers feeding me free points. Greninja break is fun but I'm looking for something more consistent now that I'm at the big kids table. Is it like magic where I will save money in the long run by playing extended/modern more or are the rotations long enough that they are close in cost over time? I know I'm asking similar questions over and over but I'm having anxiety about buying cards that won't last BC I'm a huge nerd

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Take you standard greninja break and play it in expanded.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
http://www.pokebeach.com/2016/12/collection-sun-and-moon-sets-leaking

SO pokebeach has the translated list for what we should see in Sun and Moon, and it looks pretty drat fun. GX pokemon are a very tuned down version of EX and I love it. Just have to wait for standard to be S&M forward to really get the most o it.

The differences for GX vs EX are:

GX pokemon have less HP overall

GX moves are usable once per game, but aren't super ball busting to deal with.

GX pokemon aren't always basic(i.e. Umbreon GX is a stage one that evolves off of eevee).

They also didn't give Professor kukui the normal professor effect, which I love.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Elblanco posted:

The differences for GX vs EX are:

GX pokemon have less HP overall
I would argue more, overall.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Lorak posted:

I would argue more, overall.
I think you might be right, the basic GX's have what feels like a tiny bit less HP then normal power house EX's, but the stage 1s have about the same as your average EX, while the stage 2's have mega hp levels. So GX's might average a bit higher because of that. Which is actually a good thing now that I think about it, since a lot of the GX pokemon can't one shot each other as much. There's a few execeptions, but it's not the standard right now. I like these new cards, and I wish the EX's would go away sooner so we could play with GXs more.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Moon and Sun stuff looks cool. I want Crobat and Espeon GX. In PTCG Online news: there is a special Pikachu tournament this weekend with Pikachu gold sleeves and deck boxes to the tournament winner. I'm in the middle of making my Volcanion standard deck, but no reason I can't try it in expanded. I'm missing a few cards if anyone has extra of these (Parallel City, Trainers' Mail, Float Stone, Vs. Seeker). I think I may get the second two from a Rayquaza vs. Keldeo code - so mainly looking for 1x Parallel City and 1x Trainers' Mail if anyone has them extra. I don't have much to trade, but let me know! There's a couple other commons/uncommons I'm still looking for other decks I want to make eventually as well.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Fritzler posted:

Moon and Sun stuff looks cool. I want Crobat and Espeon GX. In PTCG Online news: there is a special Pikachu tournament this weekend with Pikachu gold sleeves and deck boxes to the tournament winner. I'm in the middle of making my Volcanion standard deck, but no reason I can't try it in expanded. I'm missing a few cards if anyone has extra of these (Parallel City, Trainers' Mail, Float Stone, Vs. Seeker). I think I may get the second two from a Rayquaza vs. Keldeo code - so mainly looking for 1x Parallel City and 1x Trainers' Mail if anyone has them extra. I don't have much to trade, but let me know! There's a couple other commons/uncommons I'm still looking for other decks I want to make eventually as well.

Awesome, I've been playing expanded since rotation, I haven't been keeping up with getting standard cards, so I have a mewtwo/darkrai EX deck for real stuff, and a BKT gengar/trevennant BREAK deck for fun stuff, though I'm not sure which I want to take. They rayquaza keldeo decks look really good, especially if you double up the keldeo one.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Elblanco posted:

Awesome, I've been playing expanded since rotation, I haven't been keeping up with getting standard cards, so I have a mewtwo/darkrai EX deck for real stuff, and a BKT gengar/trevennant BREAK deck for fun stuff, though I'm not sure which I want to take. They rayquaza keldeo decks look really good, especially if you double up the keldeo one.
I'm close to a Volcanion deck actually! No shaymin or anything like that, but 4x Volcanion from the theme deck (twice), traded packs I won from theme tournaments for Volcanion-Ex promos and a few Flareon-Ex's. Although maybe I don't need all of those items and should try to put in Scorched Earth over Parallel City and also some Blacksmiths.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

So I was snowed in sat morning and I joined a que for the pikachu box/sleeve tourney trying to be the 8th to join in, missed the mark and was 1st in the new que. Cue my panic attack. After chilling the gently caress out I hopped into the next open que and took it down 3-0 with my greninja break deck. Round 1 was a freebie. Round 2 I beat volcanion EX. Round 3 was treavant break and it was a doozy fighting through the item lock but a t1 talonflame made it work and by the time I broke the item lock through 2 recovery scarves I was all gas and energy to close out the game. Are the pikachu box/sleeves worth anything? If not I'm going to build darkrai EX for legacy BC gently caress paying for celebi primes and I already have 2 darkrai EX's and mew two ex's.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

So I was snowed in sat morning and I joined a que for the pikachu box/sleeve tourney trying to be the 8th to join in, missed the mark and was 1st in the new que. Cue my panic attack. After chilling the gently caress out I hopped into the next open que and took it down 3-0 with my greninja break deck. Round 1 was a freebie. Round 2 I beat volcanion EX. Round 3 was treavant break and it was a doozy fighting through the item lock but a t1 talonflame made it work and by the time I broke the item lock through 2 recovery scarves I was all gas and energy to close out the game. Are the pikachu box/sleeves worth anything? If not I'm going to build darkrai EX for legacy BC gently caress paying for celebi primes and I already have 2 darkrai EX's and mew two ex's.
I played three times with a Volcanion deck. I would have won the last time except I accidentally clicked the wrong Pokémon after my second to last one got knocked out. The other two times I got knocked out in the first and second rounds by Night March decks. I'd never seen a deck like that. Oh well, I was able to trade the packs I got for some rares to make better decks. I was able to trade the uncommon box I got for quite a few trainers I need. Are those normally considered good? I've gotten a few before and got garbage out of them so I just decided to trade it.

I knew Shaymin Ex was good before this tournament, but I didn't realize exactly how good until this tournament (I started playing a week ago after playing not very seriously when I was younger). I really want one now.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Fritzler posted:

I played three times with a Volcanion deck. I would have won the last time except I accidentally clicked the wrong Pokémon after my second to last one got knocked out. The other two times I got knocked out in the first and second rounds by Night March decks. I'd never seen a deck like that. Oh well, I was able to trade the packs I got for some rares to make better decks. I was able to trade the uncommon box I got for quite a few trainers I need. Are those normally considered good? I've gotten a few before and got garbage out of them so I just decided to trade it.

I knew Shaymin Ex was good before this tournament, but I didn't realize exactly how good until this tournament (I started playing a week ago after playing not very seriously when I was younger). I really want one now.

What's your disposable income look like? I traded $60 worth of magic cards for a case of booster pack codes and you can do the same if you're willing to st. Cloud it up and just pay .50-.75 cents a pack. Shaymin EX go for 18-25 SR packs so $17.50 ea @ .75 per sr pack. I haven't successfully done it yet but my dream is to trade paper cards for codes and double dip on good sealed product because I'm far too old to play this game f2f with anyone.

That being said, there are a couple good decks that don't use Shaymin in standard right now. Yanmega break is one that I really like that requires a bit of finesse but not super Deep Pockets to play. Check the official website for deck lists, that's where I got my greninja break list from worlds this year but I think London was the most recent event.

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I've got two Mewtwo ex mega cards that aren't tradable... Is that worth trying to build a deck around or should I just go for one of the non shamin decks?

• Locked thread