Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which van?
1 The Favorite
2 The old dude
3 The tired one
4 The suspicious guy
5 Ol' Tall man
6 Wildcard rust bucket
View Results

• Locked thread
Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Hey guys! So my music project is getting off the ground and have been asked to play regional shows in the south east. With the upcoming tax return I would like to invest in a van to transport stupid amps and drums with. I am going to list a few vans that I am looking at and see what input you guys have - if you could be so kind. This will purely be a A-B vehicle not an everyday driver.

1. http://macon.craigslist.org/cto/5421540157.html
86 GMC Vandura
Probably my first pick at the moment . Owner says it has X84839 on the odometer. Which I am assuming is actually 180000, which he admits is most likely the case. Claims recent tune up (new plugs, wires, ait filter, fuel filter, pcv valve, oil, oil filter and sprayed carbuncle) starts up and runs good. The van is older than me so, that kind of worries me but from the looks of it - very well kept.

(these are not in order of most desirable)
2. http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/5399306604.html
83 Ford E1500 Conversion Van
Have not heard from the owner yet about further details.

3. Sold :(

4. http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/5370933546.html
1992 Dodge Ram 250(0?)
Owner says the odometer stopped working around 64,900 mark ( I have a picture). He says he was told it was driven for a few more thousand, which I find less than likely and maybe a red flag.

5. http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5364044809.html
86 Dodge Passenger Van
This one is pretty neat for sure, I love the room/head room. Says low miles but I am pretty sure the 21,000 is more likely 121,000. It is a bit on the high end of what I want to spend but, I am guessing I can talk them down?

6. http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5411359405.html
94 Dodge B250
This is truely the wild card. I am guessing I could talk the owner down even lower but, the rust scares me a whole heck of a lot. He told me he was going to look ( and send a video/pictures) to see if the rust had spread to anything non-cosmetic. I am told that amount of rust is a no go and I am purely tempted by the year/low mileage/low price.

If there are anymore in the SC/GA/NC area that you think would be a better fit, I am all ears. But any input either good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

I'm going to advocate for an extended passenger van like this because you can never have enough room for gear and people.

A conversion van is going to end up smelling like wet dog, and be cramped, and with a 15 passenger van, you can ditch the last two rows for gear, and still have enough room for 5 people, and a bench for someone to crash on.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Blitter posted:

I'm going to advocate for an extended passenger van like this because you can never have enough room for gear and people.

A conversion van is going to end up smelling like wet dog, and be cramped, and with a 15 passenger van, you can ditch the last two rows for gear, and still have enough room for 5 people, and a bench for someone to crash on.

Wow great eye, I have no idea how I missed that one. Yeah I'd prefer an extended but the conversions I have run in seemed to be in better condition and reasonable. But this, this maybe a game changer.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Vandura certainly has the rad factor, but I'd go with the extended passenger van for pure practicality. You will always end up needing more space, especially for big road trips.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Enourmo posted:

The Vandura certainly has the rad factor, but I'd go with the extended passenger van for pure practicality. You will always end up needing more space, especially for big road trips.

Yeah the vandura is much classier but I think if I get the other dude any tint the Windows itd be a winner

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
The number three van has been sold unfortunately :(

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

For this price range and this age, GM is the way to go. Piss simple, parts all over the place and they are the most reliable of the Big Three. Stay the hell away from the Dodges, they will be nothing but problems; there is a good reason why you see much newer Dodge vans selling for the same prices as older GM and Fords.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It looks like the guy with the ford will lower the price for some bang bang which I probably a gun but you might want to try some man on man love to lower the price.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Maybe he just needs a roofer or some drywalll hung?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

MrChips posted:

For this price range and this age, GM is the way to go. Piss simple, parts all over the place and they are the most reliable of the Big Three. Stay the hell away from the Dodges, they will be nothing but problems; there is a good reason why you see much newer Dodge vans selling for the same prices as older GM and Fords.

That's what ingathered from the research I put into it, glad to get it reaffirmed!

Elephanthead posted:

It looks like the guy with the ford will lower the price for some bang bang which I probably a gun but you might want to try some man on man love to lower the price.

Yeah I thought the bang bang was prostitution slang at first but then gun makes more sense... But still.

• Locked thread