Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

RealFoxy posted:

The secret is on-hit, AD Bard. Not kidding.
I have seen Jungle Bard be a thing. But it probably take s a lot of practice; in the handful of times I've seen it I'd say 2 were impactful while the others I've run into were cannon fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

busb posted:

does mikujin still play this game. hi mikujin.

also i played brand support the other day and it owned, i didn't realise his ult was bugged again? that blows.

I will go back to playing the only other fun support - brad

Hi busb. I still play game. I see you on steam sometimes and wonder if you will play this game.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

"Servaetes posted:

I think they're talking about hitting the shield duration too or some aspect of the E on the most recent iteration of the pbe

tagged his passive duration from 7 to 5 and that 2/4/6% nerf is going to be live with 6.2, so it's going to hurt him a shitload
I've played him a bunch since the changes. The passive duration is much more noticeable than I expected, as is the ultimate nerf (which shaves off ~15-20 damage from AAs and Q/W at 6). Dude feels pretty miserable to play now. Didn't think the changes were going to be as high impact as they are.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I hate the frog, but I think something that would have been a much more reasonable change would have been to nerf the range of his Devour. It's weird to see him scoop up an enemy from like 6 Teemos away. It'd also make it more difficult for him to instantly save teammates from any play.

Devour's range isn't that huge, but it does function like just about every other skill in the game in that once cast and the animation starts the target's range from you is irrelevant by the time it completes (e.g. the plethora of people Garen ults kill after the "flash to safety").

I think the changes they made are just sort of two changes that inhibit his ability to apply pressure on opponents from different sides. The former change means that opponents have to spend less downtime away from creeps (or Tahm himself) to allow for stacks to fall of, which means that TK has a tougher time trying to apply zone pressure early (which is his only way to safely do anything in lane). The latter change, while I initially thought it would be irrelevant, takes upwards of 120-140 damage out of a typical 'all-in' engagement for him which is a ton of damage that I wasn't really considering, and further makes him rely on the base damage of his W.

I think of the two changes his passive stack duration is probably the more crucial, but I think a more conservative change to his ult would've been 3/4.5/6% - still reducing his damage output at all stages but not making him feel completely kneecapped. His level 6 power spike is not much more than a power bump now.

E:

Servaetes posted:

Yeah, figured they were gonna nerf the gently caress out of him and relegate him to support only. I hope maybe they'll undo some of it a little but I ain't holding my breath.

I think his ability to jungle will remain largely unaffected by these changes. He still has a great slow, and a strong disable/damage skill, and a great skill for diving. More than anything this simply reduces his laning potency, which will not only remove him from top lane but likely also from bot lane. If he's going to be a support he needs either the pressure his passive stacks provided or the move speed back on W to allow him to properly protect his carry (which he can't do well right now).

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 1, 2016

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

The High Noon recall animation is great.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

This just in: don't build Runic Echoes on Udyr it's dumb and bad.

Instead, be good and have two Udyr pages (yes that's right) so you can decide which build path to take.

Tiger Udyr (Warrior Enchant)
+ Incredibly strong dueling potential all levels
+ High physical damage is front-loaded into an AA buff which can be applied in any stance (as long as the Tiger Attack buff is still up)
+ Can tag enemies with Tiger Attack to apply damage and back off
- First clear is slightly slower than Phoenix Udyr (by ~8 seconds)
- Pure physical damage dealer, which isn't always good in the League of Attack Damage meta

Phoenix Udyr (Devourer Enchant)
+ Very strong clear speed that only gets even faster (Pro Tip: Phoenix Udyr can do Small Camp-Buff Camp-Small Camp-Buff Camp by the time most junglers go Small Buff Small)
+ Mixed damage (favors magic), which is favored in the meta
+ Strong wave-clear and high-sustained damage make him a strong split-pusher
- Dueling potential is typically lower than Tiger, and typically more situational (ie. who you are dueling)
- Damage output is tied to multiple auto attacks, making Phoenix Udyr more susceptible to strong kite comps

The ~SUPER SECRET TECH~ for Udyr is 10% CDR from runes (blues and one quint). Why? Because you want to hit 40% ASAP to maximize stance up-times. Additionally, the early impact of 10% CDR (and 20% with blue) it's extremely noticeable: you can use just one stance button to clear camps without dropping your passive (this makes clears safe and easy and less reliant on Turtle Stance for sustain).

12/0/18 are the masteries you probably want to run if you plan on ganking early and/or countering (which you want to do, you are Udyr), although 0/12/18 is also fine.

Max Bear Stance second. That's right, second. Turtle Stance is your Trap Stance early. One point is fine for early clears and/or aggressive Dragon/Baron (or baby Baron), but beyond that it's not worth the whopping 40 shield value and 2% life steal per rank. Bear on the other hand gives 5% move speed and .25s buff duration per rank which is what makes you crazy fast (25% and + 1.25s duration over 5 levels).

The new jungle items gives you nothing you want but movespeed, but just by leveling your poo poo properly you get the crazy movespeed anyways AND you can even have good stats on your jungle item!

Zerilan posted:

I might have to try this since I like Udyr but am so so terrible at farming enough early to get sated.
The solution to this is to get better at knowing when to farm and when to gank (it's really easy), and aggressively pursue objectives like Rift Herald (comically easy) and Dragon for your free 5 stacks, rather than build a gimmick.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Killed By Death posted:

Assuming you mean runes: what do you have on those pages, exactly?

The pages are similar save the reds. For both, use:
  • Armor Seals - Flat or Scaling work fine, so use whichever you have. I prefer scaling since they hit parity at 6 and then only get stronger, and since jungle camps don't beat you up hard enough to be concerned about it.
  • Cooldown Reduction Glyphs - Flat. As mentioned, this is how you get to that magical 10% number at level 1.
  • Cooldown Reduction and TO TASTE Quints - Run 1 CDR quint for the remaining 2.5% CDR you'll need, and then put what you want in the remaining slots. I prefer movespeed since I like to go fast, but people just starting out may prefer to be more conservative until they're used to what Udyr does. In that case, fill your remaining slots with the same rune type as whatever is in your marks.

Tiger Stance - Flat AD Marks (and Quints, if you aren't using move speed). Udyr's Q is fortunate enough to come with a great attack speed steroid, so supplement that with flat AD (to accompany Q's also very strong AD ratios Q (15% on hit always + 60-80% active total AD).
Phoenix Stance - Attack Speed Marks. The usefulness of Phoenix Stance in the jungle is gated entirely on how fast Udyr can punch things three times, and attack speed helps him do that (ideally you get the initial activation wave + one punch wave before activating another stance, or just reactivating this one).

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

kingcobweb posted:

I'd like to play a build of Udyr that never leaves my own jungle, never goes to a lane other than to take CS, and spams chat about how bad my team is. What murder weapon do you suggest?

Attack speed reds attack speed yellows attack speed blues attack speed quints and this new jungle item that's too good to pass up on.

E: Don't forget to max turtle stance ASAP for all the sweet sustain

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sometimes your back just breaks when people can't be carried, featuring me Sated by 11 minutes and a Lucian who got a double kill at level 2 and then couldn't win his lane afterwards (some people can't handle all that pressure!).

To be fair though our Orianna was pretty awful and I out-damaged my whole team by plenty on my quest to kill everyone and everything and help my team be rad and win. Sadly, we didn't win, because our Lucian refused to participate in team fights because I was a "poo poo jungler who can't gank" (dropped that gem when I was 4-0-3 having killed mid, top, jungler, and roaming support, and of course after he died in lane for the however-many-ieth time after getting free money).

Remember kids, when you lose the game, it always the jungler's fault.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Tales of Yolo Queue~ posted:

You are now in a chat room with your full champion select team.

(I am the jungler. I hover over Udyr.)

sweet heart 520: can I jg?
sweet heart 520: i will carry
Mikujin: no thanks I don't want top
sweet heart 520 bans Udyr.
sweert heart 520: ok now give me jungle
Mikujin: this isn't rocket science

Riot fixed all the problems with solo queue with this new innovative system that does nothing. Why have hover picks if your team can still ban them? :riot:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Ultimately it didn't matter and we crushed hard before 20 anyways (I fed our Ryze which is always a good idea) but it still annoys me that this new and improved system is just slow and bloated and solves zero problems.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Rurea posted:

The new champ select does basically the same thing but better?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Udyr is in a super amazing place right now and I wish I'd noticed sooner. I've been crushing games with him and the only close one so far was when our Kalista made a bad baron call (I wasn't there but "I'm Kalista :derp:") and the three players on our team that were there got murdered and the enemy team picked up the baron. Enemies got an inhib, then failed to capitalize on it, then struggled super bad to prevent us getting dragon 5 since I was on point with objectives. They clown-car battled us for dragon so we didn't even need it to win at that point.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

ImpAtom posted:

I've not been very impressed with Udyr lately but I play Zilean a lot and there isn't much Udyr can do against slow except weep pitifully as my Carry walks away.
Rank 1 slow isn't enough to stop Udyr from successfully contributing to a gank (there's still 2 other people), and late game if you're on Udyr slow duty then you might stop him from getting to a carry maybe but more than likely you're doing little else to help the rest of your team in a fight. My guess is you're running into a lot of poor Udyr players (who buy stupid poo poo like Runic Echoes).

That being said, I'm trending further from Tiger and more towards Phoenix because the mixed damage has been just great. My record so far for Sated Devourer is 12 minutes (though I've been averaging, I'd say, between 14-16). Using this setup:

Runes
  • 9 x Attack Speed Marks
  • 9 x Armor per level Seals
  • 9 x Flat CDR Glyphs
  • 1 x CDR Quint
  • 2 x Movespeed Quint

Masteries - 12/0/18
  • Ferocity: Attack Speed and Oppression (Bear stun and Red buff provide the CC for extra damage); do not take Natural Talent, it's a huge trap skill
  • Resolve: Runic Armor, Swiftness, and Strength of Ages are the essential pick-ups here.

General Stuff
Generally speaking, Phoenix Udyr makes a poor level 1-2 invader so I concentrate on getting ahead fast. Start bot side jungle (Krugs or Gromp, depending on side of the map) and clear your whole jungle. All of it. You can do it easily because of how Phoenix interacts with Hunter's Talisman (waves/pulses apply the 20 HP/5 drain to all monsters in the camp). In fact, you will clear 5/6 camps at the same time most junglers clear 3-4 (your Smite will refresh just as you finish camp 4). You can finish your whole jungle at level 4 with 100% HP and a potion to spare, ready to gank top or mid, assuming you haven't got into any skirmishes. When you hit level 3 (camp 3) don't immediately skill Phoenix Rank 2: take a quick glance to see if there's an opportunity to take Bear and gank - there often won't be but sometimes someone pushes just a bit much and it opens them up to an easy pick. Otherwise keep your farm on, leveling R>E>W>Q

Get Hunter's Machete and Boots on your first back - you can finish your Blue Smite item if you have the extra cash but I typically like to get components first (since the upgrade otherwise only gives you blue smite effect, +2% monster lifesteal, +30% mana regen in jungle). There will be some occasions where you full clear and get two clean ganks off and can immediately buy Devourer: do it. Then, immediately kill Dragon. Then kill Rift Herald. Congrats, you are 30% to stack completion at like 8 minutes. Now go buy boots, and keep ganking and power-farming. You'll clear camps effortlessly, and quickly, building stacks of both Devourer and Strength of Ages (this helps make you a bit bulky before you start tanking up). Always watch your map, always throw down wards you have, and always be running to enemies or camps. Don't fear the enemy jungler (unless they've been getting huge) and eat their camps, too.

Items
  • Stalker's Blade (Devourer) - Your bread and butter. Some people think Red Smite is a good purchase, those people are wrong. Blue Smite gives you more movespeed while reducing your target's. I like to Smite after stun wears off to keep my opponent in range for another stun (if they're not dead). Additionally, it enables longer Oppressor uptime.
  • Boots of Swiftness (Alacrity) - Again, pretty straightforward. Go fast, then go even faster. Slows are the one thing that will cripple your potency and effectiveness once team fights break out. If you somehow are against a team with zero slows and only hard CC then Mercs are ok I guess.
  • Deadman's Plate - Gotta. Go. Fast. But really, this lets you bulk up while helping you exert even more pressure everywhere because you go even faster. Added bonus: enables Oppressor and gives you move soft CC to be a nuisance.
  • Sunfire Cape - Again, bulks you up while adding more AOE magic damage to your repertoire. While a great item to have, not the first thing to both picking up. Grab this against team comps that favor physical damage.
  • Spirit Visage - This is your first go-to MR item. I like to pick up the Kindlegem early because of how valuable the CDR is. You can often sit on the components of this item for a long time since they are individually very strong. Against very heavy magic damage teams, complete this and get another Cowl for...
  • Banshee's Veil - You'll only ever pick this up against teams that heavily favor magic damage (ie. only have 1 physical damage dealer).
  • Iceborn Gauntlet - Provides valuable CDR, Armor, and a fantastic unique that mucks things up bad for enemies, especially if you've got other armor items.
  • Trinity Force - This is a fantastic item to purchase to widen the gap if you are already far ahead. I look at far ahead as being "Oh hey, I've been running around crushing fools, am still crushing fools, but look I have like 3500-4000g just sitting around doing nothing!" It can happen on Udyr more often than you'd think. That said, getting this means you'll likely cap out at 30% CDR, and it doesn't provide the large bulk or defenses of something like Plate. While it can certainly help you shut the enemy team out, it's certainly not a mandatory pick up even if you are ahead.
  • Zz'rot or GA - Both these items are great. Both these items provide the same resist values. I have used both, I have liked both. I gravitate to the former whenever the enemy has a lot of easy to reapply slows that are on low cooldown, and the latter when my own team comp favors long engagements (ie. has a support with good heals like Soraka/Nami) since you might go down once but twice is unlikely. If you are buying Zz'rot, keep in mind you're doing it for the passive, not the active: Phoenix Udyr is already a split pushing machine.

There's lots of other words I can write about this, but the best advice is to avoid entering the Yi Zone with Udyr. That is, the magical sub-Bronze mindset that has you chase people down to the ends of the earth just because you are fast enough to do so. Often it means you waste time, but just as frequently it means you outstrip your team's ability to keep up with you and follow somebody right back into a bunch of their friends. This is not specific to Udyr or Yi, but really with anyone who is fast/has lots of mobility. Starting fights is great, and Udyr's speed can get some great picks, but don't feel like you have to run people down constantly because otherwise you'll just end up dead and mad at your teammates who didn't follow you (because they couldn't keep up).

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Gridlocked posted:

Question about doing Dragon: What is the trick to soloing it? Do you do the E->R->3hits->E->R->3hits cycle and just stay alive with shield and the occasional hit in turtle+pots? I've never been great at the Udyr stance dance.

It depends on what level you are, what items you have, and how many stacks of your passive you have. I like to start Dragon with one or two stacks of passive and letting a pulse from R aggro it (so you can weave towards pit exist and back in to avoid the knockback, which lets you start killing it sooner). Then hit to trigger -> W (to keep passive stacks up) -> R + 6 autos -> W -> R + 6 autos -> W repeat until dead. If you have level 6 and Devourer you should have no trouble doing the 6 hits til switch method. That said, "stance dance" is just code for "If your passive is about to run out push a button, then go back into fight mode stance of choice."

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mystery Prize posted:

Pick primary mid, secondary jungle, get jungle 9 games in a row with an instant queue.

What the gently caress is the point in picking primary and secondary roles if I'm going to get my secondary role every time? I could sort of understand if the client had to wait 5+ minutes for to place me in a game because noone is queuing as jungler, but it looks like it just throws me in the first game with an open spot instead of prioritizing my primary role.

I think mid is the highest pick rate role. I was often queuing jungle main / top secondary and I'd say the split between roles was about 40/60. I have since started to queue as jungle/mid and I have not gotten a mid game yet.

What I'm saying is that if mid is your jam, you're probably hosed, but if you want something else just pick that thing + mid and you're gold.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mystery Prize posted:

What I'm trying to say here is I'd rather wait a few minutes to get a role I want than be instantly queued in a role I am just okay at.

Yes, and I'm saying your best bet is to queue with a secondary that is also picked a lot. Top or ADC, I'd wager.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

10 game Udyr win streak had to end some time. :(

An Illaoi handily crushed our Irelia, who kept fighting after getting hit by hook, and eating tons of tentacle damage, while down in mid lane a Fizz got utterly decimated by a Twisted Fate. Try as I might, I couldn't peel for our Vayne forever, even with the help of a Soraka healing. Much sadness this day.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Gridlocked posted:

Edit 2: Yeah I am clearing the jungle really really slow. You say I should have smite back up by camp 4 but I am getting it up while I'm at camp 3. This is without a leash though, not sure how big a difference it's making.
If you're just testing it dry in customs then yes, it will be slow. My commentary is all assuming a standard game where you get a leash from your bot lane duo - the stronger the leash the better. It's also worth noting you clear faster on red side (blue start) than on blue side (red start) since you can spam R straight through to keep up passive stacks, and W to soak/top up as you go.

Mystery Prize posted:

Going back to Udyr chat:

Udyr currently has the highest winrate in the jungle at around 57% according to Champion.gg

His most successful build? A Runic Echoes build similar to the one I posted before. :smug:
It's also likely due to the massive uptick in people wanting to give this a try for funsies lately. Up until earlier today when it was updated the highest winrate build was Devo at 57.6% with similar runes, masteries, etc.

Even the new fad build is maxing E first because it's so strong. Non-Tiger Udyr doesn't duel well, he just ganks well and shits AOE damage for fights. Shield value is largely irrelevant except when diving.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Gridlocked posted:

Ok sweet just making sure I'm not downsing it up. So when I'm doing that first clear should I be doing the dance to ensure I keep my passive at 3? Also do I just swap to turtle then back to phoenix immediately or is that a waste of mana/life steal time?
Depends on the side your on. Again, red side (blue start) means you can just spam R forever (W to soak if you want) to clear, stacking your passive if you want. Blue side you need to be more conservative with your mana on the first clear. You definitely don't need 3 stacks to clear a camp (especially after getting a combine jungle item or both pieces) so I usually just stick to activating Phoenix twice.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah, as nice as the movement speed feels, a unleveled 60 HP shield isn't even going to block a casters auto attack and without a strong shield your not going to last long in a real fight as Udyr, all that movement speed isn't worth much in a multi-person fight and the other guy stands and fights you., just taking the shield to rank 2 improves it's strength by 66%

Saying something like "BUT A 66% INCREASE IN STRENGTH!" means gently caress all when the flat number is 40 extra damage soaked per rank. You're better off having the speed to initiate a clean fight and/or rotate on an objective that much faster, which will mitigate the need for any shielding. Furthermore, if you're putzing around in team-fights late game with Turtle Stance up instead of slapping everyone with Bear Stance stuns on your way to sitting on the enemy carry's face then you're doing it wrong. Don't get me wrong, Turtle Stance has it's uses - it's great for mitigating some damage on Dragon/Herald/Barond - but a 220 HP shield is not nearly as substantial as you'd think when you're the only person you can put it on.

Or, in short order: :gitgud:

E: Haven't free rotation champs always been available in ranked? I thought the champion number requirement was just there as a safeguard to prevent someone from winding up last pick and having all the freebies picked/banned and with them unable to select something.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Gridlocked posted:

All righty. When you say Phoenix twice you mean R->Hit till pulses stop->R->Camp Dies move on right?

R, hit 3 times, R. Pulses may or may not be done.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Taitale posted:

Shouldn't you hit 4 times since the first one after casting already procs the aoe?

You know what I meant.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Stefan Prodan posted:

Quick poll, chilling or challenging smite on Nocturne?
Chilling Smite.

Tried Runic Echoes Udyr. It's fun, but falls off much harder. You definitely need to apply more pressure early/mid. I still liked maxing Bear first since it meant I had 200-250 more movespeed than anyone I was trying to gank or chase down. It's probably slightly better versus a team full of ranged champs - who tend to be squishy but typically harder to engage upon - whereas Devourer feels like it's much better against tanky comps. Devourer also much faster at taking objectives.

Both have their ups and downs. I feel like Devourer has more consistency (e.g. late game fighting potential, objectives), whereas Runic Echoes has higher gank pressure and split-push power (e.g. tends to have more move speed earlier, build favors early Sheen item).

E: For what it's worth enemy team comp had for ranged auto-attackers (Teemo, Corki, Ez) and once towers dropped there was no where they could be except next to walls with flash skills up that left them safe. You do cruise at a movespeed closing 600 if you get Swifties (Alacrity) and max Bear before Turtle. I feel like with the AP from Runic giving you ~40 shield value you are further incentivized to level Bear over Turtle.

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 4, 2016

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

On Udyr maxing E or W second, I've been finding it good to put 2 points in W since it almost doubles the shields strength, then start maxing bear because you'll be spamming it the most to get places faster.

2-3 points in W makes it formidable enough to tank some hits, but since it stays at 40/level you'll be getting less benefit with each rank.

I'm still quite adamant about not putting in more than one rank until Bear is done, simply because you are already building HP/Resists to go with the shield value which - while seemingly minimal - ends up being more than 60 EHP. You can tank turret shots with ease with just rank 1 W, especially if you've stared on any armor items. Doubly so for this if you're doing the echoes build.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Shyvana is still really really good right now and I don't see anyone playing her. Udyr got banned so I decided to crush everyone forever with her instead.

I was sated at 13 minutes, and duo'd Baron shortly after 20 with Sona. :smug:

E: Oh and my pro strat of queuing Jungle/Mid has now failed twice, but only in that I was assigned mid. Both games I asked the jungler if they'd prefer mid, and both times they said "Yea I queued as fill." This new queue system really is dog-poo poo.

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 5, 2016

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

18 games, 17 wins, back to Plat. And I didn't end up in cobweb's loser League, I ended up in one of the best names I've seen yet:

:siren: :black101: MAOKAI'S CRUSHERS :black101: :siren:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Lovechop posted:

speaking of akali i wonder what she'll be like after the buffs. akali top is really good and fun

She'll still be bad

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Luna Was Here posted:

i'd like to take this moment to post my most recent ranked match, featuring sorka, the healsmith
id like to point out her Healing Done stat, which was 35.2k, which is more than two champions on our team combined

Fair and Balanced, good stuff from Riot Gaming!

Take a look at her damage stat (which is a third of the lowest other person's), of which everyone is clearly doing too much. It is almost like some champions do different things from other champions. If you want to play a lovely game where every character is basically the same with a different coat of paint I think World of Warcraft still exists.

Soraka is still a loving nuisance, though.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Luna Was Here posted:

wow, this one champion didn't do a whole lot of damage while effectively erasing two other champions from the game! go back to world of warcraft, noob :smuggo:

That's not how math works

E: I'm still getting +30 LP in plat hoorah. Starting to see Udyr bans. Shyvana is just as rude.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Someone designed a better functioning client (Wintergreen or whatever the hell it was) as a pet project, and distributed it freely to anyone who wanted it. Riot hired the guy, presumably to make their client not suck. Then he quit, because they basically hamstringed his ability to actually do what they hired him for.

They clearly have the resources to do something like this, but the bureaucracy in a company that big run by a bunch of manchildren isn't going to be easy to get around.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

6 lobbies in a row where I've gotten mid with my awesome jungle/mid queue strat (there were dodges and/or missed bans/picks in all of them). I may have to reconsider my master plan.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

If making champ select shorter is the point, why do they make you wait when it's you and your teammate picking back to back? Pretty sure it's just because they think it'll make champ select look more dramatic in LCS or whatever, which now that I think about it, is probably the actual point behind the lock-in poo poo

Me, from the last thread:

Mikujin posted:

Old System
30 seconds max per ban, 6 bans - Total Time: 3 minutes
60 seconds for champion selection, 6 pick phases - Total Time: 6 minutes
Max Total Lobby Time: 9 minutes

New System
40 second mandatory pick preview time - Total Time: 40 seconds
40 seconds per ban, 6 bans - Total Time: 4 minutes
40 seconds for champion selection, 10 picks - Total Time: 6 minutes 30 seconds
Max Total Lobby Time: 11 minutes 10

New system is actually longer than the old system. It's definitely just a change for the LCS/pro scene to make picks more exciting or something, because otherwise it's just making things longer for the rest of us.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

breaks posted:

On PBE at the moment it's 20 seconds for the pre-ban part and 30 seconds for everything else, which ends up being about 9 min max also.

But I think the point is less the theoretical maximum time it can take, and more that they made it harder on people who AFK since people who are actually paying a little bit of attention don't usually take all the allotted time to lock in.

Whereas without the lock in you get people who pick a champ and then intentionally don't lock in so they can go do something else and poo poo like that.
Shortening the pick preview phase is smart. In my journeys so far I'd say only about 60% of people use them as-is, anyways. What they need to do is have some better queues to notify you it's your pick (beyond the "YOU HAVE 10 SECONDS LEFT DRAMATIC DRUMS") since people in the 4th or 5th pick slot can expect to wait approximately forever for their turn to pick and are almost always the ones I see AFK/fail pick.

The lock-in all your poo poo policy is probably the worst part of the new system because sometimes it just doesn't even let you lock-in (I've only had that happen twice), the same way you can click "Ready" and have the bright orange "YOU ARE READY" text appear, and then in a few seconds you get queue dropped because you were AFK for the ready check.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

The first game I was forced not to jungle and we lose (our jungler had 4 early ganks and 4 early deaths).

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Gridlocked posted:

Mikujin I tried your Udyr. Won once, lost once. The loss was because I accidentally hit my flash key when I tried to smite and fail ganked because of it.

That's great. I immediately followed up my -9 LP loss into another +30 win and am in promos again. Maybe I should just try to climb to diamond before I leave.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Jihn's two biggest problems, from what I've seen, are an utter lack of capacity to withstand diving as well as an awful transition into late-game. I've seen him do well in both bot and mid lanes, but even when he's ahead he can't really exert the same amount of pressure a normal ADC can. This is, in large part, due to his inability to gain attack speed, which means he's strong early and late and completely middling when other champs are starting to get strong.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I saw a Jhin do really, really well today. It's the first time it's happened. Basically just really relied on doing good things with W and quick;y repositioning with crit movespeed.

So I guess it can be done.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

We need a "The Dudyr" skin where Udyr runs around in a bath robe/lovely sweater and sandals.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Gibberish posted:

Put mid as first preference and then jungle, as jungle is the 2nd most preferred role

If you put support as your 2nd preference you're going to get it almost every time

I don't know that jungle is 2nd most preferred. I'd say mid is the mostly highly, then I'd wager a toss-up between top and ADC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

So what causes OP.GG to have replays of your poo poo? I just noticed it has replays of my poo poo and I am curious as to why.

• Locked thread