Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

we’ll be taking a snapshot of the queue today just before this post goes live.

quote:

Then we’ll give out an exclusive, never-to-be-reproduced Summoner Icon to anyone with over 100 wins in matchmade Dominion games

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't believe Rotating Game Mode will have Champion Mastery before TT. :negative:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think he's talking about Path of Exile.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I once again baited the non-believers with my stupid Tank builds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep6hPq350S0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWKMRRS0oRY

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Verviticus posted:

i dont think the interaction is even available anymore

Typing thereisnourflevel works just fine in the new loader.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently TT is dead (more than usual) with the new hextech crafting not implemented in it. Plus Masteries. That makes me sad.

At this point I wonder how many seasons there'll still be of Ranked TT in the game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anti-magic posted:

Sounds pretty deliberate. I wouldn't be surprised if Riot just want to slowly bleed out it as they did with Dominion so they can stop pretending they give any shits about it.

That's exactly how I feel it too, and it's not exactly subtle. They started off by saying that TT has a much healthier community than Dominion and then went on to point out that masteries will be out in the rotating queue before TT. With hextech crafting a lot of the TT players had to move to dynamic queue to get their free stuff.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bholder posted:

Yes they are deliberately ignoring 3v3, they are also deliberately make overpowered champions then nerf them right after a big sale happens.

But I don't get why would people stop playing 3v3 just because they cannot spam that loving annoying emote on their favourite champion.

They never did, it's mostly hextech crafting and the dominion shutdown. A lot of people I know stopped TT because of that, and some people stopped LoL altogether because they played mostly TT and the community went down and queues went up by a ton. And both groups, they all say the same thing - they feel it's unsafe to keep playing TT because everyone is weary that Riot is going to remove it anyway, possibly even remove ranked rewards this very season, so people are leaving it (at least in my server). Which is probably what Riot really wanted.

At the end of the day the amount of people who main TT is tiny, and the amount of people who'll quit the game over this is even tinier compared to the people who'll move to dynamic queue.

From a personal PoV it just sucks for me, the Brazilian LoL community is pretty much awful but from the 8 thousand or so teams that actively played TT I've met mostly people who were really nice, it was a genuinely fun community that had nothing to do with solo/dynamic queue or Ranked 5s. Maybe it's because it's not so competitive, but at the top 100 of 3s people add each other, befriend each other, talk about strategies and have fun overall, with some few exceptions. The top 100 of 5s are people who are trying really hard to become pros and who tend to be really rude and aggressive, with the ironic exception of the two teams who actually made to Worlds. Kabum was always nice to play against and while Pain players tend to have flamboyant personas they were very nice in-game. It's easy not to care much about how bad or well mannered people are in games. When people are rude you just grow a thick skin, that's how we all play LoL and online games in general. When you find a really nice community however it's a bit of a surprise, so it's very disappointing to see so many people stopping LoL altogether from the latest changes.

It's not easy to shrug it off when your smurf team queue time goes from 5 minutes to 40 minutes during peak hours and your main team can't find matches at all.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 6, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luna Was Here posted:

Literally all it would (should) take is some rebalancing of numbers for shorter game times and the flip of a switch and champion mastery is on TT, but instead the map is just going to be left to wither and die and will be replaced with nothing but people getting their favorite map and style of play taken from them.

Hell I would gladly do this job if I could and if Riot were interested in hiring people to do that.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know if it's the Dominion hangover but Ascension was more fun than I remembered.

And now I finally have a mastery grade on Zyra.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slydingdoor posted:

:riot: :riot: :riot: :riot: :riot: :riot:

:riot: :riot: :riot: :riot::riot: :riot:

tl;dw: our team gets 3 kills every 2 minutes and after 12 the enemy team opens mid, not even 8 minutes in. Some messing around happens the game ends well before surrender at 20. Then this shows up.

I once played against a guy who genuinely thought Plat+ players could choose the rating of their opponents in their "plat panel".

I never imagined he was actually right.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Mash posted:

There's also a fog-of-war toggle that you unlock by getting Diamond the previous season, and at master and challenger, you select to play 4v5s and have one champion on the enemy team be controlled by a bot.

On a more real scenario, the best actual part of being a terrible player and have Challenger icons is the noticeable difference in how stupid players get when they're playing against you.

They either cower and play poorly and overly defensive or, my favorite, spam champion emotes in the most inappropriate times. Players do that all the time but the second they see you wearing that icon on the loading screen it goes up tenfold if they're sub-diamond. They just have to stop and spam laugh when they dodge any skillshot. While still in range for you to engage instead of taking the chance to escape. And then they die.

Repeatedly.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NTT posted:

Against a challenger player, the feat is not to best them, but to display publicly that you could not be owned like you have seen others so owned, and were merely stepped on as is right in the world.

Yeah... pretty much. For those who don't know, depending on what type of player you're playing against, playing defensively but not overly so like that can win you the game against crazy odds in some situations. Some low-ranked challenger players are one-trick ponies that rely on extreme aggression. If they pick a champion that desperately depends on getting fed you can increase your odds a lot by simply not dying, which is easier said than done. If you're, say, gold, and manage to bait and get a kill - which is REALLY not uncommon if you watch those "bronze to challenger" streams, you have to make sure not to throw the advantage again. Getting one or two kills against someone who's overwhelmingly better than you won't stop that person from murdering you and take the advantage back if they want. You can either play safe as long as you can keep up in farm or try to gank other lanes and players who are more vulnerable, but you'll probably be baited and outsmarted if you decide to go one on one even with a gold advantage.

That happens a lot in streams when you see high elo players against low elo. If you're like me, not a particularly mechanically good player, you play the wait game and wait until the enemy make a positioning mistake. That mistake usually comes in the shape of being arrogant and disrespecting your opponent. Because of the snowbally nature of the game most people in LoL do that constantly.

If instead you're worried about improving, against every player overwhelmingly better than you the best practice if you don't care about what others think is to accept your miserable defeat, try your best to play normally, get your rear end kicked, then watch the replay over and over and see what they're doing that you're not. Also, while playing the game goes way beyond laning, if you can get someone better than you to duel you as a different champion and then reverse the match you'll get a huge load of data on what you're doing wrong if you lose both match-ups.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ristolaz posted:

(Terminator voice but Brazillian accent)

Hahaha.

Aerox posted:

I went poking through my collection and looked up some lists and didn't realize how much rare poo poo I apparently have.

King Rammus
Silver Kayle
Championship Riven
Championship Thresh
Riot Blitzcrank
Riot Graves
Riot K-9 Nasus
Riot Singed
Riot Kayle
PAX Sivir
Vancouver Amumu (Apparently rare?)

I'm pretty sure my account is from 2009 and the beta so I'm not sure why I don't have UFO Corki but I don't.

I really want that Silver Kayle.

Spiros posted:

I wonder how much my account with riot graves is worth.

I don't think any account in this game is worth much. There's no one paying 1000-5000 bucks like people did for WoW vanilla mounts/warglaives or 10000 bucks for Tibia accounts. I think a really well decked account like mine or Aerox goes for $300, $400 at most. A quick google shows that accounts with Black Alistar go for $250 usually, and that is a very rare and valuable skin.

Accounts went down super hard in price once companies started to tie up things really close to the original e-mail and name of the account owners and people realized there was no way to ever really guarantee ownership over an account someone else started. This and the fact way more than half the people both buying and selling accounts are scammers.

foutre posted:

Oof, I've been getting to experience this. I'm playing mid in my school's mini-LCS tourney, and out of the 8 teams 3 of the other mids are Masters/Challenger now or in S5. Over the last ~6 months of playing versus them I've actually gotten a good bit better at surviving lane. In the first few months I would generally get solo-killed mid at least once a game, from overstaying or going out of position, but that happens very rarely now. Instead, my problem is that I've been so conditioned to playing incredibly safely that even when I get first blood on one of them (only in like 2 out of the last 8 game) I have trouble pushing my advantage and often end up getting out-farmed and out-roamed anyway.

At a certain point, they just are just strictly better than I am and that's some of it, but I think the skill that most differentiates them from the other Plat/low Diamond mid laners is how efficient they are with their backs and roams. Even if I put even pressure on the map, they seem to find better timings for everything and inevitably end up 3 or 4 waves ahead at 20 minutes. Just watching how replays to see them manage waves/pressure is really illuminating.

It's frustrating in game but definitely has been a great way to improve, 10/10 would get wrecked again.

If anything I'm impressed your school has 3 different people in Master+. That must feel odd.

As for how you deal with playing overly passive, at some point you need to actively let go what you learned on how to play defensively and start from scratch in how to play aggressively. Once you're able to say "Fine, I can survive" you pretty much just go and try to hit your enemy like there's no tomorrow. What sucks is that this game has super long matches and you'll be outplayed, feed and probably lose the game in 2-5 minutes, but you have to do it anyway.

That's why I said, if you're reasonably seasoned in the game and can get the opportunity to get wrecked, embrace it. I think I learned more in a weekend of sparring and losing against Mewnfare (who was at the time the #1 Feral in WoW) than in months playing against 2300-2400 Elo teams.

slydingdoor posted:

I find watching the replay over and over again can be not only good for self improvement but also fun when you can make highlight reels out of them. Bonus points if you're in voice chat.

Show some. :v:

But yeah, I learn a lot watching myself play. Even in my "highlight reels" there are plenty of mistakes that only really seem obvious after watching the replay.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 12, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gridlocked posted:

Why do most people who post playsvids listen to house/techno music.

Where are the Eurovision playlists?

Would Trip-Hop be hipster enough?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally figured out the solution to the removal of solo queue and people asking for them to include it in again. They just need to keep Dynamic Queue and add Ranked Magma Chamber.

A man can dream.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sexpansion posted:

This deserves a repost.

The whole class/subclass post is mind-blowing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Zyra rework is somewhat interesting:
-Q is now cast in a line, similar to Malzahar's current Q
-In addition to planting seeds with W, seeds are planted around her passively kinda like Illaoi's tentacles
-Spells don't have to be cast ON a seed to make a plant, only NEAR one

Seed activation has always been larger than the spell indicator, though it seems to be much larger now, yeah. I think they wanted the general radius to be similar to how you'd activate the seeds by casting a Q near one from muscle memory, regardless of how you aligned the new Q wall.

ImpAtom posted:

Can someone on the PBE give a heads up on how Zyra's support game stacks up? It looks like it should still be good but it depends on how hard they hit her numbers to compensate for having an actual passive.

Quick look at the readily available information:

- Q level 1 damage went down from 70 to 60.
- Thorn Spitter (Q Triggered) damage went down from 30 to 24.
+ Q level 1 mana went down from 75 to 60.

- Plant duration went down from 10 to 5 seconds. :(
= Seeds recharge at about the same time.
+ Seed duration went up from 30 to 45 seconds.
+ Max seeds went up to 8, so you'll probably see 6-7 in a counter-engage if you're playing defensively.

= No apparent E change.

-/+ R now changes plant damage to 150% instead of +50% Attack Speed.

No idea on the coefficients or how things scale from now.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also played a game of URF and I sucked horribly at it. I'm bad at this game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm now imagining Azir sending multiple Mordekaisers instead of Sand Soldiers.

Or rather only one, since it's only the first cast.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Janna in URF is so much fun. I'm gonna miss this.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://br.op.gg/match/observer/id=771865836

Here's an URF match that was basically my team getting stomped all up until the enemy team was breaking our nexus. The enemy team was up 8k gold, had lost only 2 towers, and was hitting our nexus with the whole team +2 waves. And somehow we won.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 24, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Is this a joke? Bot game players are huge assholes.

Yeah, like everyone is pointing out, bot game players are angrier about their bot games than people in solo queue are about their ranked matches and I think the general toxicity of solo queue players rank pretty high in the online games leaderboard so that is something.

Libertine posted:

Are you guys serious? I honestly can't remember the last angry person I've seen in a bot game. Do you goad them on or something? I play them all the time while I'm on extremely long work teleconferences and I never have any issues with anybody (except for those who go afk).

Yeah, they're all serious. I play one bot game for each new champion I buy so I have about 120 something bot games and the only thing in common I've seen between the NA and BR servers is that people get angry when:

* You go to their lane even if it's a typically duo lane and they want to solo it, disregard the fact there are 3 lanes and 5 players.
* But also get annoyed if you test a jungler because it's making the match slower for them and they want to finish it fast.

And they get impossibly mad when:

* You go to their lane gank and kill a bot. That almost always guarantees an "I'll report you for KS".

It's so bizarre.

Gridlocked posted:

RIP Urf

I lost 2/3rds of my games of you, I developed an even finer hatred for Zed players than I already had and I lost so many games at champ select it was bordering insanity.

But you made me appreciate Bard even more; and I am glad you gave me the opportunity to play AA bard with amazing bullshit lanes of power.

Zed is annoying to deal with but I think I hate playing against Fizz and Sonas much more.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only found true success in URF once I accepted the truth that is only play Zyra.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 25, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're terrible at the game like me play and build tanky stuff so your positioning mistakes are forgiven by math.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is pretty delicious yes.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah with that CS it surprises me you got an A+ at all.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I agree, not gonna argue with you there.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taciturn Tactician posted:

What are you talking about? People get mad at league all the time!

sorry, couldn't resist

In all fairness everyone should do a season of the maddening experience that is WoW arena, and then LoL will suddenly look much tamer in comparison.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The plants duration being halved is gonna hurt a bit.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Libertine posted:

I've played thousands of games and I still forget the color scaling on tooltip and a lot of time just open the wiki on a second monitor if I can't remember what is what. The detail of information (including the percent scaling on ability) should just be baked into the base tooltip information.

I also routinely forget the passives of champions I have over 100 games on.

Tooltip reading is clearly my worst skill.

Every ARAM game is like I'm playing the game for the first time.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

metavisual posted:

Is there a thread for new people? I literally just started playing, and I feel like I have a bunch of dumb questions, but I don't want to poo poo up the thread with dumb questions about how not to get two-shotted with Annie.

Here's my serious tip for you: Don't ever blame your teammates for any loss. It doesn't matter what happened, who D/Cd and who fed. Don't ever think you're good or better than you are, it's a quick route to get mad at the game for not getting you the rank you deserve, and it's also bad if you actually want to learn how to get better. Be ready for the real possibility you'll be a Bronze 5 (the lowest tier) forever and don't get stressed over it.

Honestly just apply this to every PVP game ever.

Also:

Verviticus posted:

most of the people higher ranked than me are also bad at the game, along with me

Elentor fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 29, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a really good point. I know some people who prefer to play solo but I vastly favor playing with friends.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sexpansion posted:

This is pretty interesting. It's an exhaustive review of champions by difficulty by a current CLG analyst:

drat that's some massive task he undertook.

I don't find Zyra's mechanics as hard as Vayne's or Yasuo's but I might be very biased here.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know you guys hate Thorin overall but this is a pretty good video and a good reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xToFJHrxNbg

Basically:

* You're not as good as you think you are. Something every Plat+ player in this thread parrots over and over, and for a reason.
* Most players who don't play casually and play ranked a lot to climb the ladder most often just bash their heads against the wall and don't stop to analyze critically what they're doing and how to improve.
* People get delusional about how good they are and because of that refuse to practice fundamentals, something which even the highest level Korean players do frequently.
* If you actively want to get better you need to practice everything, even the most basic fundamental such as farming. You can do it against bots to develop muscle memory - again, something high level players do, and something people often ask me why I bother to do as if it didn't matter.
* Farm, farm, farm.
* And remember, 15 CS is the gold of a kill.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tales of Woe posted:

I'm confused at tying the champion mastery level 6 and 7 stuff to hextech crafting with the one chest per champ per season limit. If I'm an Irelia one-trick and I just spam Irelia, I'll get the mastery Tokens, but won't I never actually get the crafting stuff I need for level 6-7 since I can't get multiple chests with her?

If you're a mono-champion you're hosed, yes. Your safest bet is to do the rotating games during the weekend where your MMR is lower, pick something similar to what you're used and go nuts.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2 levels of leveling wrong skills in the mid lane does not equal 37% win rate.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm gonna tell you guys what Elo Hell truly is.

Imagine if you will a player against whom you can't win no matter the circumstances.

As bad as I am I've won some matches against the bad LCS teams that come from my country in 3s and 5s so theoretically there shouldn't be a lot of people capable of giving me a 0% win rate in this God forsaken server.

But there is this one guy and since he started playing it's been absolutely impossible winning any match whatsoever against him no matter which one of his teams he's playing. And almost every match for the past 3 months has been against him.

8 PM thursday on your Diamond team? His #1 team that is 500 points above the #2.
Been on a hiatus for 2 weeks and my friend ask me to play on a new team 9 am saturday? His smurf team.
Overwatch beta's over so your friends finally ask you out to play LoL again? You bet you're not winning today.
Any time whatsoever, any day whatsoever? This motherfucker.

The top 1 solo queue player with his challenger friends present not a lot of challenge, but this guy and his 2 platinum buddies he's carrying on his smurf team? Pretty much impossible.

I'm trapped in my own personal hell. Please send help.

Edit: Apparently from people who talked to him he claims to be a smurf neither from BR nor from NA.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 11, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AHH FUGH posted:

On JP server my buddy and I just grabbed Challenger and we played a game with Gold I, Plat 5 and Diamond 5. The other team was Silver 1 and a handful of low Diamonds. I have no loving idea how it's possible. Elo is a magical thing.

The problem is that this level of rear end-whooping shouldn't be statistically possible, dude's got a 95% win rate over hundreds of games and counting. I'm wondering from where this guy could be. Either LAN or some of the Korean pros who are spending some time in Brazil. His friends won't say.

How do you play on the JP server out of curiosity?

Edit: From what I remember the Korean Pros we imported had a 60-70% win rate and their solo queue Elo wasn't overwhelmingly higher than usual, so that's still significantly less than this thing we're playing against.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

foutre posted:

What's their op.gg?

http://br.op.gg/summoner/userName=Primus

Other than his current 95% ranked wr over the past 20 games, both his top teams sport a total of 147 victories and 12 defeats for a 92%+ win rate. He only plays TT and plays pretty much all the time. Most teams are pretty bad which is why it's fairly easy to get a 80% win rate if you're in prime condition but some of the people he's beating are really good mechanically, far far better than myself, and no one really knows what the gently caress. There's nothing to ban against him with that champion pool.

gently caress that noise, I'm going back to SR. Time to practice some Blitzcrank.

• Locked thread