Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I queue by myself and if you hadn't told me the queue system had changed I wouldn't have known. It's not perceptibly worse, which, granted, still doesn't mean it's good. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

My least favorite solo Q star is the solo Q "split pusher" who basically just shoves top as hard as he can over and over without wards and when he inevitably gets 3 manned over and over and dies goes "WHY ARENT YOU GUYS PRESSURING ANYTHING" even if you had all just backed or died or weren't able to push fast enough or whatever

Basically the person who doesn't understand that team can't just instantly push a wave to their inhib tower or understand that sometimes people just have to go back to base but just pushes as hard as he can and dies anyway

I feel like most of the time in solo queue when people say "I'm gonna spit" this is what they mean

If someone solo pushes without wards to the extent that they die repeatedly, then that's on them, but the other side of this coin is when the team sit there like lumps even though the opposition has had to peel off 2-3 people to go top or whatever. Like if you unluckily happen to get picked off or need to back just as he's starting his top push, whatever, poo poo happens some of the time, but if someone is consistently split pushing then over the course of the game it's not unreasonable to expect the team to take a majority of the opportunities that this affords for pressure.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

At least you haven't had to dodge ADC Yi, ADC Quinn, and Top Ahri

Outside of ADC Yi I probably wouldn't dodge those, but then again I'm in Silver 4 so playing the proper/meta champions for a role is probably much less of a factor than the coin flip to see if the toxic feeder is on your team or the enemy team this game

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

i thought he was supposed to be really good, not wasteful

Based on what they were presumably going for, "The Exploring Prodigy" would probably have been best

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

AHH FUGH posted:

Immediately got placed in Plat 3 (was Diamond 5 last season) and got straight into my Plat 2 promos and had a 65% win rate. Then I started losing. Now I have a 38% win rate and I'm in Plat 4 60 LP.

What the gently caress is going on

Why can't I win games

Am I really this bad

Sexpansion posted:

Losing streaks will happen statistically no matter how good you are (unless you are like an LCS level player). I lost like five games in a row in Bronze III right after doing placements, it doesn't mean I'm bronze III bad, they were just nearly unwinnable games.

e: I am clearly silver bad not bronze bad

Yeah, after two straight seasons in Gold 5 (worked my way up from Silver 1 in one of them, then placed directly into Gold 5 last season) I got placed into Silver 3 and dragged down to Silver 5 before I managed to check my plummet. I'm currently in Silver 4 with like 97 LP but I've gotten trolled out of two Silver 3 promo series so far.

I won't deny that there have been a handful of games where I've gotten matched way out of my league (so to speak) and been the proximate cause or a major contributing factor to my team's loss, but they're far outweighed by the games where I was just helpless to stop my teammates from melting down.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'm sure it varies a ton based on the level at which you're playing, but where I play ATM (mid-silver) Darius is pretty much the only opponent I truly fear, along with maybe Jax. Aside from those, even the champions that "counter" Nasus can usually be handled by playing very conservatively and patiently, letting them push you up to tower and working your way up to more and more tank items. You might fall behind on stacks but you can catch up later.

Darius is just the lovely fun police though and I pretty much ban him whenever I can if I know I'm going to be taking Nasus top.

vvv I like to think I've gotten better about that and now know that, e.g., I should shove and start wrecking towers anytime my opponent leaves lane, once I've got some good stacks and a Sheen item. This said, there is also a substantial responsibility on the part of the team to not force/get picked into a lovely 4v5 and lose while the Nasus (or any splitpusher really) is doing that.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 17, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

NTT posted:

he has almost no lines or personality other than the memetic line 'ok' and is also a tank whose entire identity is 'run fast and taunt something. also have 500 armor'

Yeah I hope they update him soon with a minigame, a dash and a unique resource

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Crazy Larry posted:

Given how long he's been slated for a rework I'm just going to take that to mean that we aren't getting a new champ until 2018.

I am ok with this

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

When did warrior princess sivir get a super anime splash screen

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Sexpansion posted:

There's so much OP poo poo right now (Hecarim, Camille, Vi, Shyvana, Rengar, etc) that I don't really think you can justify a Yasuo ban.

He's still an annoying champion but nowhere near those top picks.

In my experience, though, you can leave some of those unbanned and the chances that they'll get picked are much lower than the chances that an open Yasuo won't get picked.

As with any P/B consideration, I'm sure it depends on play level. I play around mid-silver, so.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I think every three bans you should do true damage to the champion. If enough true damage is done in a month they are permanently deleted from the game.

The ban screen is actually a minigame where champion icons move around the screen and you have to fire a skillshot to try and hit the one you want to ban. Is it blocked by other champions? Whoops, looks like you just used your ban on Urgot.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Addamere posted:

I love the gently caress out of Rammus and I just got the full metal rammus skin in a box but I don't have enough jizz to equip it

King Rammus or go home

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Vermain posted:

If the game had been designed from the start with the idea of "everyone gets some fun little mobility trick they can do"

I mean, this existed and it was called Flash, the problems started when they decided it wasn't enough

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Was Ghost being too strong actually a problem? I never actually see anyone take it (disclaimer: high Silver).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I wonder if they'll ever realize that the biggest problem is their increasingly unfun (for anyone except the player) hero kits, and not whether a particular number is 35 or 40.

I think someone said that a few years ago, just one of Camille's abilities could have been spread over 3-4 abilities as an entire hero kit. That may be an exaggeration but not by much.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Just got out of the most amazing comeback, that admittedly wouldn't have happened if they hadn't BMed rather than finishing. Our bot and mid lost hard, but we randomly aced them with a sliver of health remaining on the nexus. Push them back a few more times as they straggle in, then suddenly we have a baron, then we have an inhib and an elder dragon. A few more aces in there, combined with actually working together to poo poo on their 24/10 Miss Fortune, and suddenly we won the impossible game.

Got my Silver 1 promos won (for the second or third time this season :shepicide: )

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

What if it's the entire rest of the game whose theme and gameplay have changed for the worse. Makes you think

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Teikanmi posted:

Galio is I think the only champion where you could actually just remove him from the game and the community wouldn't cause a big stink over it

He's 4th least picked, only Aatrox, Urgot and Nunu are picked less, but Nunu has seen flashes of brilliance and has one of the best BMs in the game with his dance spam, and Aatrox and Urgot are huge memes at this point. Galio is the only one who no one really gives a poo poo about.

Make a Galio skin where he has breasts and also wields a hanzo steel katana, watch his play rate soar

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't see how the assassin game mode have to do with normals.

The blood moon color scheme is applied to non-ranked summoner's rift games I'm pretty sure.

e: yup, just confirmed myself.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 11, 2017

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Knocking on wood here, but I find that I get better results in terms of friendly teams by playing in the morning (10-12 CST or so) on weekdays, perhaps because the kids are in school.

Of course this doesn't guarantee good games; I just finished playing my games for the day and both teams were trash fires, but the amount of rage and immaturity were relatively low.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Ulio posted:

Dodging in promos is useless so you might as well play and take the loss with a slight chance of winning.

I would only say this if you assign zero value to your own mental and emotional health. Maybe being in a promo weights it in favor of not dodging, but there are definitely cases where you still should and spare yourself having a promo loss and high blood pressure.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Teikanmi posted:

Or just don't get mad at video games

Yes, that was what I said to do (by not playing said video game)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Every once in a great while you get the solo queue team that, when the enemy sends four people top to try and take your first tower, actually rotates to counter and you end up with a quadra kill. Things did not improve for the enemy team from there.

I thought about queuing up again after that and instead I pushed away from the computer because I knew any other game I had would only feel like an anticlimax.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Play what you enjoy and feel good at; if Riot shits things up to where you can no longer do that, stop playing their game for a while. Namaste.

Mystery Prize posted:

That's fair. I was basically splitpushing top 24/7 while my bot set up a soup kitchen to feed the hungry, I just assumed that with that much armor I'd be able to get close enough to him to actually do something before I died lol

I mean if someone gets fed wildly enough then you can't really draw any good conclusions, the confounding factors are too great.

How much health did you have, though?

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 18, 2017

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Mystery Prize posted:

However much health Nasus base at level 16ish is with Randuin's and a Spirit Visage? Probably a little under 3k.

Mmkay. Just was curious since you'd only listed one health item out of four slots and you need a decent health pool for armor to be most effective. But those plus maybe a Sterak's in the last slot should be enough to get to a reasonable health pool, so :shrug:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Forget that all the kids are home from school this morning because of President's Day. End up losing a game because our bot lane turns into the loving Love Canal over a bad ADC, utterly ignoring the attempts of mid, top (me) and jung to get them to settle down and not interfere with our attempts to carry. :shepface:

Neurolimal posted:

I pretty much stopped playing Shaco in Blood Moon after they added Camille because of the insane range that she can leap over walls, stun you, then cage you so you cant decieve away (and it knocks away the clone), before you can react to the deathball hurtling over the golem wall.

Some will say its a good thing that someone stopped playing Shaco, those people are monsters who hate fun :colbert:

Normally I'd say something about two wrongs making a right, but Camille is still around in this scenario so nobody wins, really

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Why not play normals?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Nazzadan posted:

I haven't played normals in like 3 seasons so my normal MMR is like bronze-silver. I wouldn't get any meaningful practice there until I played a bunch of games to normalize the MMR, I'd rather just jump into flex and lose a bunch against people I shouldn't be losing to rather than win against people I should beat anyways if that makes any sense.

RealFoxy posted:

I'm still rusty but I can win just about any normals I play even in an off role so it's barely meaningful practice. I'd rather just lose to platinum players and watch the replays to see what I could do better.

Fair enough. I never play flex and normals are my go-to for shaking rust off/loving off with new champions, so I was curious.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Just had 3 lovely games, after which I reasonably quit for the day. Normally playing in the morning/very early afternoon on weekdays is good for me, but this was the statistical exception, it seems.

At least the third game was genuinely one of the chillest teams I've had in forever even if we did get a mudhole stomped in our asses due to their inability to jungle or teamfight effectively.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Dear anonymous shithead, thanks for waiting to dodge until all the bans and picks had gone out and the game was a few seconds from starting :thumbsup:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I've decided URF isn't really for me. It's a fun idea in concept, but if you're on the side getting dunked on, the novelty/zaniness wears thin well before the game can actually finish.

Did they ever do a version of URF with picks/bans?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

I lost a game in under 10 minutes to a Sona/Karma lane and I still think urf is fun

See, that sounds ok. I'd probably be a lot happier with the mode if I didn't have to spend more than 10 minutes in the games where I/my team got stuck with lemon heroes that we couldn't play. That's the perfect length of time to enjoy the hilarity and spectacle. When it drags out for 20+ minutes, that's enough time for the hilarity to wear out.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

It's obvious that something needs to be done about the support role. They've tried making support gameplay (gold income, etc.) smoother and more appealing, but that didn't work, so they're trying to hammer top-shaped pegs into support-shaped holes via the autofill system. In an outcome no one could possibly have seen coming, this leads to unhappy people who perform poorly.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

If they could break away from the idea of the support needing to be the adc's nanny and/or playmaker, to where it's more of an egalitarian relationship between two heroes who happen to be in a duo lane together, that would be a big step. I'd argue that this is the sort of thing that should have been done all along (and perhaps tellingly, it was the way me and my friends played LoL in the ignorant days near launch, as well as HoN and DotA many years before that).

Unfortunately, doing it at this stage probably requires a rethinking of all the current support heroes and possibly the queue system, because if you have a lane where one side is two heroes doing their own things and the other side is a powerful support/initiation toolkit working in concert with the adc, the side that still has a dedicated support toolkit/player probably wins. That's fine in comp play or if people are queuing as a 5-stack but it's pretty terrible in yolo queue.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

LeJackal posted:

It never fails. I get a promo, advance, and my first matches are always with feeder teams. I know you're supposed to 'carry your team' but what am I supposed to do when the enemy is up 7 kills in 7 minutes off the other lanes?

Seriouspost: I recommend not playing comp on the weekends.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

my dude, support is the significantly stronger role of the two in bot lane and is the huge deciding factor in who wins the lane the majority of the time. the fact of the matter is this is 100% player perception, which is also why you have apes screeching that ADC is still as powerful as it was in season 3 and that support is a trash role you cannot carry from.

I think you've misinterpreted me if you thought I was saying that support can't be an influential role in the hands of good players :shrug: It still constrains the playstyles and heroes to something that aren't everyone's cup of tea. Which I realize is something that could be said of any role, but support is more often than not the one that people get filled into against their wishes.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I need blue essence for a mastery token, and my boxes keep giving me skin shards. #firstworldproblems

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Taitale posted:

Buy a champion shard from the shop.

:stare:

I did not realize you could buy them for IP. Don't I feel silly now.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

They should make it an underground sewer, bot lane is now a solo lane for former Supports, and ADCs go into the sewer

This way they can literally get poo poo on instead of just figuratively all game long

When Rek'Sai burrows she actually goes into the sewer

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 28, 2017

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Nazzadan posted:

Well deserving the ban or not, it got lifted and Riot is going to clarify rules surrounding situations like this.
Wookiecookie:

Interested to see the outcome of this talk.

In my dreamworld the outcome of the talk is "hey maybe let's work on changing the game so that the meta isn't like a ball and chain around everyone's collective ankle"

I know that's just a pipe dream though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Honestly, I am all for Nunu support as civil disobedience against the lovely autofill approach, but that's different than actually thinking you're hot poo poo and getting mad at your team when they don't want to help enable your gimmick.

• Locked thread