Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Great, dumb client crashed at the god selection screen and now I'm a deserter for 30 minutes. Garbage client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That happens repeatedly to a certain friend of mine and every time it happens I praise the client, because holy poo poo does he bring the mood down when we don't win.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Uh, wasn´t that a rather brief PTS period for something as big as all the season 3 changes?

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight
PTS really did seem short this year, oh well. Prepare for another year of freaking ROMA INVICTA ROMA INVICTA ROMA INVICTA VELVELVELVELVELVEL

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Season 3 launches today, but off to a buggy start:
https://twitter.com/PonPonSmite/status/694478783957573632

Also,
https://twitter.com/HirezChris/status/694469317165973504
Does this mean 0.3% of the playerbase moved up or down, and everyone else stayed where they were??? :bravo:

Crutch
Apr 22, 2010
It's up. For me anyway.

Are we really trying to have a meeting to discuss BM? :P

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Any´new meta´ summaries available yet?

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Mr. Neutron posted:

Any´new meta´ summaries available yet?

No because things are moving and changing too fast.

Last season there were a bunch of articles and analysis written by redditors and on sites like Smite Central but they're lacking for Season 3. I tried to dig up stuff and I couldn't find much; which is why I in vain tried to come up with a tier list - to try to provide at least SOME kind of information.

In defense of the theorycrafters, the PTS testing didn't last long and things were subject to changes very quickly. To make things worse, the PTS Phase 3 patch notes link is down, so I can't say for sure what made it into the live client until HiRez posts some kind of update.

There was a really good reddit post on Spear of Desolation vs. Spear of Magus but a day or two after it was written, Desolation was nerfed and now this reddit post is already outdated...and it was only written 5 days ago.

I feel like the rush to launch may have been low amount of testers so HiRez wasn't getting a good amount of data to extrapolate from. I personally didn't even get a chance to mess around with all the gods/builds I would like to theorycraft with. I didn't even get a chance to finish playing around with all the new Relics (didn't get to try Sunder).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Welp, time to spend a few hours on the god builder and replace all the items. A lot of what I use on my Warriors doesn't even give them health anymore!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

cyclonic posted:

I feel like the rush to launch may have been low amount of testers so HiRez wasn't getting a good amount of data to extrapolate from.

Yeah, this is my guess as well. They got PTS feedback from pros, they've got former pros on their design/QA teams, I think they were looking to see how the big changes (map geometry, relic system, new luxury items) would change the game and then they can use the huge amount of data they'll get from live to tweak numbers as needed.

Did they ever put speed buff minions back in?

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Shab posted:

Did they ever put speed buff minions back in?

It didn't return on PTS (minions were there but didn't give any speed buff). No idea if it's back on the live client.

I'm kinda surprised it's launching today. I was expecting Wednesday or Thursday.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
This is a shock, i've only just taught my newbie friends (taught two last night) how to build their first characters.

Did I just get :xcom: 'd?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

cyclonic posted:

https://twitter.com/HirezChris/status/694469317165973504
Does this mean 0.3% of the playerbase moved up or down, and everyone else stayed where they were??? :bravo:

I just played the saltiest assault game I've ever seen. SWK acting like team captain while going 3-8 and bitching constantly about the enemy team turtling (we still won, because I was on Ares and didn't suck.) Also an AMC that I don't think placed a single hive the entire game. Not that the enemy team was good at taking them out, he just flat had no idea how to use the god.

On the plus side, first chest roll got me that dapper as gently caress kuku skin so hey.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight
Its the Robe/Cloak meta.

Magical characters are strong now because they can now dish out damage while being really tanky. Mids/Solo's can stack a Warlocks and build 1 or 2 Robe/Cloak items and be very hard to kill.
Physical characters now have less beneficial health item options. Warrior solo is not quite as good currently but still workable.

CC is too strong so Magi's Blessing (robe/cloak) has reverted to a mandatory item on junglers and supports.

I'm not sure hunters have changed that much. There are some new options for early damage, but they don't transfer well into late game, which is where most hunters shine.

Magi's is good, Teleport is good, Warlocks Sash is good, CC is good, Guardians are good, Robe/Cloak items are really really good.

Future edit: (I have to go to class)

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I dig that they are indeed reworking the mastery skins to not be just a one color texture over the entire character. Hopefully they'll come out faster although, they are probably not highest priority.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mr. Neutron posted:

I dig that they are indeed reworking the mastery skins to not be just a one color texture over the entire character. Hopefully they'll come out faster although, they are probably not highest priority.

Oh gently caress yes

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Played a few games on the new Joust map with a couple of other goons. Ye gods this is a vast improvement over the old Joust map which was constricted as hell. You actually have room now to dodge mage pokes from Kukulkan/Ah Puch/et al, there's fiercer competition over buff camps, lots more room to maneuver and gank from the flank instead of slamming head onto the enemy or running waaaaaaay behind them and having to dive past the tower. King means games end more quickly too. I really like it.

Interface improvements I'd like to see:

- Let me filter gods via icon clicks instead of the dropdown menu or typing in 'Chinese' in the search bar. If I want to see all Chinese Assassins, I can just click the icon for Assassins and click the Chinese pantheon icon.

- Random god button for non-league play.

- Easier access to the item store so I can review items without having to go four or five clicks deep to pull up God Builder.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

dogstile posted:

Oh gently caress yes

I mean, go look at diamond Chang'e right now and tell me that's not her second best skin !

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Daily Quest: Play 3 games as a Japanese god

I hate playing Amaterasu :rolldice:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh holy gently caress rip Ares. i didn't realise how much i relied on his sov and heartward to give him decent prot to start off with

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ugh, all these items. It's like Amaterasu just came out. I don't even know where to begin since a few of my staple items are now not ideal. Would the Gauntlet of Thebes even be that good on her?

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Can someone give me a brief rundown on the basics of lane/team comp meta?

Right now I'm level 12 and I keep getting in games where its like 5 ADCs, or 3 people in 1 lane and a literal empty lane. Is this just regular bizzaro stuff that happens until you get max level or whatever?
LoL is the only other MOBA I've played, and I'm having a hell of a time picking up the basic rhythm of this game because every match seems to be completely different.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Please change the thread title to

Smite: Season 3 - GAME IS DOWN

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Season 3 patch notes officially up now:

http://www.smitegame.com/season-3-patch-notes/

edit-

LegalPad posted:

Right now I'm level 12 and I keep getting in games where its like 5 ADCs, or 3 people in 1 lane and a literal empty lane. Is this just regular bizzaro stuff that happens until you get max level or whatever?
LoL is the only other MOBA I've played, and I'm having a hell of a time picking up the basic rhythm of this game because every match seems to be completely different.

From Season 2 thread:

quote:

1.9.0.2 - Conquest Meta 101
Generally the expected pubby/casual queue meta is 2-1-1-J (or 2 in long lane, 1 in mid lane, 1 in short lane, 1 jungler).

Why not 2-1-2? Because if you do this and the enemy doesn't, the enemy jungler and soloer will have more gold and exp over your team, giving them an advantage.

Why not 1-2-1-J or 1-1-1-2J or anything else? You can try it and it might work, but nobody expects this in the casual/solo queue. In pre-mades though, have at it!

The "expected" roles in each lane (for casual queue) are:
guardian or warrior support & hunter/mage ADC in duo lane
mage in mid
magical or physical assassin for jungler
mage/warrior/assassin (magical or physical opposing the jungler pick, or balancing the magical/physical picks of your team)

Why not mage support, or hunter mid, or... It's doable, but not expected. You can try this with mixed results. Some people don't care. Others don't care as long as you don't feed. Others want STRICT META, so good luck!

And those bizzaro comps should end by the time you hit level 30.

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 2, 2016

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

LegalPad posted:

Season 2 (the one that just ended) was 1-1-2-1 as rule of thumb - warrior or tanky mage on shorter solo, mage with good clear on mid, hunter and guardian on the longer duo with jungler (usually assassin) clearing camps and ganking. Around mid- and late game when towers are going down it's more about rotating to gank and push, possibly the entire team or split pushing.

And yes, at those levels there really isn't a concrete meta or anything. At 30 people are usually following those, which can get boring and predictable.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Okay, got it. Thanks.
I'm enjoying the game quite a lot so I will definitely keep playing til max to see how things change at that level.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Incon's tier list going into season 3. A few gods are still up in the air as to where they'll end up, notably Odin and Ymir.

Poor AMC will never bee good. :smith:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
What happened to the squirel? Otherwise the list is very close to Season 2.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

Apparently he's just Bad with a capital B. Incon didn't really go into any detail on him so I'm not sure with specifics. It's probably cause he's got no CC in a CC-dominated meta, his damage is hard to actually confirm, he's squish as hell, got no leaps except his ult, etc etc. Everyone else is just better.

You can watch the tier list stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/incon/v/39788139 starting at about 7:33:00. Keep in mind if you're not playing level 30 games, this list might not apply to you at all. This is for the current higher-level meta that you'll see in ranked conquest. It's by no means infallible and might be completely off for some gods in other game modes, or if you're in a lower level game and some smurf comes in with the Rat and pubstomps all over your team.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I gave Sol a shot and I was completely terrible. But that's just me never having played her before. That said, I never want to play that god again. Her voice is the most annoying loving thing I have ever heard in my entire life. I had to mute voices because she was irritating me to the point that it was effecting my already poor playing.

Why did they give the goddamn SUN the most annoying voice imaginable?

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

Jimbot posted:

I gave Sol a shot and I was completely terrible. But that's just me never having played her before. That said, I never want to play that god again. Her voice is the most annoying loving thing I have ever heard in my entire life. I had to mute voices because she was irritating me to the point that it was effecting my already poor playing.

Why did they give the goddamn SUN the most annoying voice imaginable?

No u

The Ezell
May 11, 2003
I play football. No, not that football. The other kind.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Incon's tier list going into season 3.

He gets lazy about 5 gods in, take with a grain of salt (Ravanna and Ama being a higher tier than Xing, Sol and Bellona is a joke... and not a good one)

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's hard to be an assassin without crowd control. Rat was only ever strong because his release damage numbers were hilariously over-tuned. His kit lacks anything resembling utility outside of passive-acorn options. I'd love to see the 2-dash stun become part of his kit inherently instead of an acorn.

Edit: VVVV http://www.smitejunkies.com/ It's not a 'most picked' it's a 'good builds by pro players' but it's the only one I'd recommend anyone use.

The Ezell fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 2, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Is there a website for quick "most picked builds" like champion.gg?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Smitefire kinda has guides that show recommended builds but they're all from s2, would have to wait until s3 guides are generated. I mean, you could look at some right now to get a gist but take it with a grain of salt.

Also what is this BM meeting I'm seeing in the clan MoTD in-game? I saw the screenshot :smug:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Itemization is seriously my least favourite part of MOBAs so I guess I'll just throw together whatever and be an inefficient rear end.

The Ezell
May 11, 2003
I play football. No, not that football. The other kind.

Lastgirl posted:

Also what is this BM meeting I'm seeing in the clan MoTD in-game? I saw the screenshot :smug:

Show up and find out!

Lady Naga posted:

Itemization is seriously my least favourite part of MOBAs so I guess I'll just throw together whatever and be an inefficient rear end.

This is a very weird statement, building/counter building is a dominant facet of MOBAs. Anyway I'll just relink my edit for visibility because it's what you want: http://www.smitejunkies.com/

Edit: VVVV Fair enough

The Ezell fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 2, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Ezell posted:

This is a very weird statement, building/counter building is a dominant facet of MOBAs. Anyway I'll just relink my edit for visibility because it's what you want: http://www.smitejunkies.com/

Well sure but so is proper ability usage, knowing the map, hitting your skillshots, learning when to be aggressive and when to be defensive, etc. I like those things. Having to calculate numbers to see if something is "worth" buying? not so much.

Also I guess I should've specified "arena" but I guess that's good enough.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

Well sure but so is proper ability usage, knowing the map, hitting your skillshots, learning when to be aggressive and when to be defensive, etc. I like those things. Having to calculate numbers to see if something is "worth" buying? not so much.

Also I guess I should've specified "arena" but I guess that's good enough.

I would suggest taking advantage of the God Builder in the game, you can plug in items once (per god) and never have to even change tabs in the store once you're in a match.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Why is Ravana suddenly great? I thought he was considered underwhelming, then I see he got a couple nerfs in the Season 3 patch. I guess he's benefiting heavily from the itemization changes?

Same question goes for Arachne, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Shab posted:

I would suggest taking advantage of the God Builder in the game, you can plug in items once (per god) and never have to even change tabs in the store once you're in a match.

Yeah I def. do this.

• Locked thread