Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I wonder if anybody has been murdered on Everest for their oxygen or something else.

I am not entering the death pool because I don't really want anybody to die but if they do die I hope it's really funny like Canadian photoshop lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

origami posted:

I wonder if anybody has been murdered on Everest for their oxygen or something else.

I am not entering the death pool because I don't really want anybody to die but if they do die I hope it's really funny like Canadian photoshop lady.

A climber did die in part because someone stole their oxygen in the death zone, or so I've heard.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears
PBS just did a Nova episode about quake that hit Everest last season. http://www.pbs.org/video/2365651521/

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Devonaut posted:

I found a nice summary of 8k peaks and satellite images, courtesy of NASA:

http://www.earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/8000MeterPeaks/

Scroll down to load the rest.

really good read, even if it's stuff you already know

whoever wrote that deserves a medal

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Xibanya posted:

A climber did die in part because someone stole their oxygen in the death zone, or so I've heard.

Weren't people slashing ropes over on K2? Or was that just K2 being K2?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Didn't Nepal ever follow through on their plan to cutback on the number of idiots killing themselves in pursuit of the perfect selfie? All I can find is proposals.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I will climb Everest on meth

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 20, 2018

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I'll take 24 corpsicles this year, please.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I'll take all 39 members of Menudo in their "Rockin' On Lhotse" world tour kickoff!

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

origami posted:

http://www.amazon.com/High-Crimes-Fate-Everest-Greed/dp/1401309844

Short answer is probably. I would recommend this book even if it was a bit sensationalist.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I will climb Everest on meth

That just might work.

30. Bonus if someone is wearing LL Bean.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Microwaves Mom posted:

The best part is you could literally murder someone on everest and no one would be able to prove it unless they saw you, but obviously you'd kill any witnesses.

NLJP posted:

If you did it in the death zone you could do it and people would literally look blankly at you and keep going probably

new life goals

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

h3r0n posted:

That just might work.

30. Bonus if someone is wearing LL Bean.

Weren't some of the early attempts amphetamine fueled? I remember reading that in one of the prior threads, maybe?

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll take 34, one of the six numbers of Shaquille

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

a messed up horse posted:

I'll take 34, one of the six numbers of Shaquille

That sounds really close to revealing the secret of Wu-Tang.

Best check yoself qwik!

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I hope nobody does, but I'll take 28. Lots of frustrated rich folks had to cancel last year.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

pr0k posted:

I'll take 24 corpsicles this year, please.

if they die in a recoverable location and get a regular soil burial do they still count as corpsicles?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Put me in for between 8 and 13 dead. I'm a ghoul for betting at all, but I'm a very indecisive ghoul.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NaDy posted:

who was trying to be the first American woman to climb Everest without supplemental oxygen

what

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Prav posted:

if they die in a recoverable location and get a regular soil burial do they still count as corpsicles?

It still counts even if they are taken off the mountain and thaw and ooze out of the body bag when it's opened back home.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Last year we allowed three goons per number

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Where's a list of all the death counts per year

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Pyrotoad posted:

Weren't people slashing ropes over on K2? Or was that just K2 being K2?

Would like more info on this, it sounds so incredible it has to be true.

Philosopher King posted:

Any chance the new everest movie will drum up more interest in climbing the mountain?

The movie should show people that the sheer randomness of what the mountain decides to means that all the preparation you do can essentially before for naught. It should also show people that in trying to climb Everest you're essentially playing Russian Roulette as bad luck means you die. So yes, it will absolutely make more people want to climb the mountain because people are loving dumb.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Everyone's going for the extreme it seems, I will pick 11 dead this year.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Yeah I know. Not as bad as Shriya Shah–Klorfine who was going to be "the FIRST South Asian woman from Canada to make the attempt to raise the Canadian flag at the top of the Mt. Everest". She dead.

Also this from the previous thread courtesy of Rondette:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

One day I will take the Everest skytram to the top with my copy of Air Bud 2 and scoff at the Chinese nongs pissing on green boots

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Where's a list of all the death counts per year

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=everest+death+count+by+year

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Don't you sass me boy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why is annapurna so dangerous? I know that K2 has the bottleneck which results in most of the deaths

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Shitloads of avalanches

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I think the route that goes up the mountain has a tonne of seracs and things that can just break off any time without much warning. It's the unpredictability of it that causes the deaths.

Speaking of Annapurna, I'm going to be doing the circuit in October and I can't loving wait. Gonna see these bastards up close without having to die (unless I get stuck in a blizzard like what happened in 2014 that is).

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Something like house-sized seracs or so I've read somewhere.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I imagine dying on the mountain would be horrible. You are exhausted and dizzy, hands feet and face bulging with edema. No matter how hard you try, you can't catch your breath. The wind pelts you with ice, snow and the wrapper from a Clif bar the guy in front of you just ate. The feeling is gone, in your fingers, your toes. The loves of your life flash in front of your deadening eyes, but you don't have the strength to go back to them. You slip away knowing you will never see them again. You close your eyes one last time and faaaaaaaaaaaaaaart.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HungryMedusa posted:

I imagine dying on the mountain would be horrible. You are exhausted and dizzy, hands feet and face bulging with edema. No matter how hard you try, you can't catch your breath. The wind pelts you with ice, snow and the wrapper from a Clif bar the guy in front of you just ate. The feeling is gone, in your fingers, your toes. The loves of your life flash in front of your deadening eyes, but you don't have the strength to go back to them. You slip away knowing you will never see them again. You close your eyes one last time and faaaaaaaaaaaaaaart.

i'd just die with my pecker out like that amber bug so there's a chance of somebody 99 million years in the future being owned by looking at my weird dick

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm feeling that 17 is the number. 17 violent expulsions of gas at death. There you have it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

a messed up horse posted:

i'd just die with my pecker out like that amber bug so there's a chance of somebody 99 million years in the future being owned by looking at my weird dick

If you get enough people to do it, anthropologists in the future will think it was a ritual to climb tall mountains to die with your boner out.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

HungryMedusa posted:

Nah, you're pretty out of it by the time death takes you and by all accounts it's pretty pleasant. You don't have much time to panic, you just pass gas on.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Jose posted:

why is annapurna so dangerous? I know that K2 has the bottleneck which results in most of the deaths

I thought K2 was too lightly traveled to have significant bottlenecks, and the main reason for its lethality was the steep inclines resulting in increased avalanche risk and greater exposure to high winds.

This is a genuine prod, I don't know why K2/Annapurna are more lethal, but I'm skeptical of bottlenecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Amgard posted:

I thought K2 was too lightly traveled to have significant bottlenecks, and the main reason for its lethality was the steep inclines resulting in increased avalanche risk and greater exposure to high winds.

This is a genuine prod, I don't know why K2/Annapurna are more lethal, but I'm skeptical of bottlenecks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottleneck_(K2)

Annapurna is dangerous because it's very technical and it's difficult to find a route that isn't avalanche prone (also weather).