Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I mean they still crampon don’t they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I still don't understand what "crampons on the wrong feet" means. Whose feet were they on, his grandmother's?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing the crampons curve to match a boot. When you look at the picture he shows, you can see the crampon on the left boot curves to the left as if it should go on a right boot.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ohh, ok. The phrasing REALLY confused me.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think that's the part of into thin air that jumped out to me the most. The "climbers" were learning how to put on their crampons at the start of the trip. Like, they couldn't even be asked to put them on in their living room, let alone actually climb a snow slope before setting out to climb Everest. And the guides accept this as normal, and train their clients, and encourage them like 12 year olds at summer camp.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
They probably aren't the client's crampons.

but yeah, even then crampons are like basic rear end alpine climbing and not owning their own and being familiar with them shows how insanely inexperienced they are. there's climbs you use crampons in the freakin sierra nevadas, most of which summit well below the elevation of nepal's capital city. there's tons of 14ers in the rockies with no summit restrictions, so you don't even have the fact that money won't get you past the lottery for Mt Whitney or other super popular american summits

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 1, 2019

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anyone who has no opinion or experience with their kit is not even a hobbyist. Like, it's a universal rule, hobbyists obsess about their equipment. There's always downtime when you can't be actively doing your hobby, and so futzing around with your tools and reading reviews and discussing the minutia of them is second-best. Doesn't matter if you like photography or woodworking or building race cars.

Everest should be closed to amateurs, including mere hobbyists who haven't done a fair amount of high altitude alpine climbing before; but being unable to recognize which foot your crampons go on means you're not even at the point where you should be trying any icy slope or snow hiking, anywhere. (Or maybe you're so brain-addled from oxygen starvation that you can't use your own equipment, which is just as bad.)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
then again I'm all for a developing country exploiting the global 0.01% with no regard for their lives, because while two wrongs don't make a right, they have it coming

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
They are still putting innocent sherpas at risk. Hiring poor people to do extremely dangerous work that is of no benefit to society is wrong, even if they are willing to risk their lives for a few thousand dollars.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

They found those missing climbers from a while back:

quote:

Eight climbers — four from Britain, two from the United States, and one each from Australia and India — went missing on May 31 after they failed to return to their base camp near the 7,816 metre mountain, Nanda Devi.

"The mission was extremely difficult considering the weather, avalanches and the elevation of the site where the bodies were," Mr Jogdande said.

The search for the body of the eighth climber had been suspended due to harsh weather.

Nanda Devi and its sister mountain, Nanda Devi East, are among the world's most challenging peaks and only a handful of people have climbed them.

This climbing season in the Himalayas has been one of the deadliest for several years.

More than 20 people have been killed including at least 11 on Mount Everest, the world's highest peak, in Nepal, due to bad weather conditions, inexperienced climbers and overcrowding.

:(

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
For future reference, you start a post like that by saying “they found the bodies of those missing climbers...”

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

solution: sell more souvenirs!

"and this here climber patty once belonged to Sir Edmund Hillary himself!"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6tOOXyw6G0

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
it'shappening dot gif

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2019/07/03/k2-2019-summer-season-coverage-will-k2-be-like-everest-this-year/

Alan Arnette posted:

As the ropes fixers make progress and teams prepare for their first rotations, there is trouble in the air.

Similar to the early signals this past spring on many 8000ers with 10 deaths, the additional 11 deaths on Everest made the warning signs clear. And now we see the same signals on K2: record permits issued, and inexperienced climbers. The wildcard may be how the weather develops and how many days will be suitable for summit bids. In any event, queuing at House Chimney, the Bottleneck and the Traverse occur when there are less than 30 people on the Hill. What will happen with five times that?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

:yeshaha:

He says in https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2019/05/23/everest-2019-3-new-deaths-now-6-on-everest-15-overall/ that there were over 800 people that attempted Everest this year so 150 on K2 doesn't really sound like that much!

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Buttcoin purse posted:

:yeshaha:

He says in https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2019/05/23/everest-2019-3-new-deaths-now-6-on-everest-15-overall/ that there were over 800 people that attempted Everest this year so 150 on K2 doesn't really sound like that much!

Don't most K2 seasons have a couple dozen climbers?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i think less than 150 people have summited K2 ever

e: checked, it's 302 according to the wikipedia article lol still

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Everest gondola when

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Why the hell are so many people queuing up to summit K2? Jesus Christ I can't think of a better way to get killed than being in a traffic jam on K2.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

how else am i gonna be the first left handed black female leader of the ku klax klan to summit

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Seriously, K2 hates you and wants you dead.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah, if that number is correct it's going to be the bloodiest year in mountain climbing history.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
There but for the grace of god goes 150 reasons why death pools exist.

don't bring back the death pool but seriously that number is loving baffling

EDIT vvv I personally had no problem with it, but I mainlined the threads wholesale and holy poo poo the number of times it gets dragged puts it firmly in the territory of 'not worth it' vvv

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 6, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Death pool ruled gently caress the concern trolls no mods no masters

Seriously IDK how a SA thread got dragged for lusting after rich people death when that's been GBS whole political schtick for the past 7 years.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The death pool wasn't just gross, it was also boring as poo poo. Nobody had a good time reading "I bet 10!!! The mountain hungers LOL!!!!" for five pages in a row.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/MountEverest/status/1145404141595955200

https://twitter.com/USFrogMann/status/1145847559031853057

WORTH IT

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

The death pool wasn't just gross, it was also boring as poo poo. Nobody had a good time reading "I bet 10!!! The mountain hungers LOL!!!!" for five pages in a row.

yeah this. it was funny the first time but we're better off without it

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

High Lord Elbow posted:

For future reference, you start a post like that by saying “they found the bodies of those missing climbers...”

They're people, not objects.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

If we get to the point where people photoshop themselves in climbing gear before venturing to conquer K2 as their first >1000m peak there should be a mental hospital disguised as a K2 permit issuing office.

HAPs can be employed as nurses.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 6, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Anne Whateley posted:

Nobody enjoyed reading this either fyi

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
If K2 gets to be almost as busy as Everest it will last a grand total of one year because holy gently caress there are so many more places that people will die compared to Everest.

Just read Alan Arnette's blogs of him summiting and descending K2, especially if you want to feel exhausted just reading about it.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I'm sorry I brought it up.

Making matters worse, this is from an earlier post (June 26th):

Alan Arnette posted:

One Pakistan Expeditor operator told me that there is a serious shortage of porters to haul gear up the Baltoro to the base camps of K2, Broad Peak and the Gasherbrum’s:

quote:

Everyone just jumped in without knowing others date of arrival and how many arriving on same date. In Askoli the quantity is 500 including animals and demand is 1000 or more within one week. Also inexperience tour operators with cheap packages are another reason. Everyone one has problems this year shortage of porters animals and new snow. Animals cannot walk on snow
Let’s hope all this gets resolved so the climbing can begin … when the weather allows.

There's been a string of bad weather hampering progress, but they're still in the "good" window, weather-wise. Technically. IIRC, K2's season ends mid to early August?

Still, shaping up for a great, uh--

Well. It's sure something.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

simplefish posted:

Nobody enjoyed reading this either fyi

I did.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/thetribunechd/status/1147781337115328512

i literally thought they were selling trash like I joked about but it's just recycling *yawn*

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Martian Manfucker posted:

Why the hell are so many people queuing up to summit K2? Jesus Christ I can't think of a better way to get killed than being in a traffic jam on K2.

The article says it's also an influx of inexperienced climbers. On K2. It's probably people who were hand-held up Everest and found it relatively simple (because it is, technically speaking), and decided they want to try the second biggest summit to post on their Instagram.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

K2 is the cool hipster mountain now since Everest is popular and crowded. Luckily K2 will murder everyone

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Sand Monster posted:

The article says it's also an influx of inexperienced climbers. On K2. It's probably people who were hand-held up Everest and found it relatively simple (because it is, technically speaking), and decided they want to try the second biggest summit to post on their Instagram.

Not just inexperienced climbers, inexperienced tour operators.

Gonna need the K2 edition of the goon-made #Everest game now.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Old Boot posted:

Gonna need the K2 edition of the goon-made #Everest game now.

It game-overs the second you stop for a photo

Saw 27 new posts and man, thread didn't disappoint. EVEREST IS CANCELLED the lit new mountain for dentists is K2, it will become safer because of the pile of dead rich people softening your fall at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

k2 isn't going to put up with this poo poo and everyone there who climbed everest and thought that now that they've conquered it they can take on anything is going to experience the slow, horrible realization that it is, comparatively, the Nice Mountain