Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Happy Hedonist posted:

The 2013 version of this thread is responsible for my love of climbing. Because of it I ended up reading a bunch of Ed Viesturs' books, visiting my local climbing gym, and transforming from a fat gently caress into someone who can lead climb 5.11+ routes. I'm taking my first to Utah this year to climb some red rock. However, I hate cold, so you'll never see me on an actual mountain.

One day you will gently caress up your protection or thread a rope from the wrong side and your last thought will probably be that Something Awful killed you. RIP buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

How long would I have to go to school to become an ice doctor?

If there's an avalanche on Everest, could they be sued for malpractice?

Can an ice doctor prescribe a tasty snowcone or ice pack instead of drugs?

Read this in Seinfeld voice.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Absolute proclick. The bit in which Herzog confronts him about his brother's death and doesn't relent until Messner is reduced to sobs is my favorite piece of cinema ever.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Article says his home is either a tv or burning buildings.

What's the story behind this guy, other than his inspirational backstory? I want to know how much of a trainwreck I could expect from this guy.

Every time he says something on the show, a brief CG X-ray montage of his bones and plates and screws is played. That's all you need to know. And he's Cher's boyfriend.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Moro thought it would be appropriate to greet the Sherpas with words that mean pretty much "I hosed your mother". They kind of disagreed, due to their cultural upbringing, and that was when the violence started. I am surprised he got out of it alive.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

RKRGoat posted:

Sherpa down it looks like :(

You mean the one that fell off Lhotse?

The Hillary step is pretty nasty this year, lots of snow and a big corniche on top, we'll see how that affects the traffic.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Rojkir posted:

Dutch mountaineer Eric Arnold has died after summiting. http://nos.nl/artikel/2106318-eric-arnold-overlijdt-op-de-flanken-van-de-mount-everest-na-bereiken-top.html

A combination of altitude and temperature, he died in his sleep in camp 4 at 7900 meters. It was his fourth attempt after having to return 250 meters below the summit a couple of seasons ago and barely surviving the avalanches of last seasons

If you don't die at first, just keep trying. Very inspirational!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Rojkir posted:

Translation mine:
Eric Arnold knew the dangers that came with climbing Mt Everest. "It's no deathwish, but a need to really live" he said. "For me that's in the mountains. And apparently, more toward the edge of life, life becomes more beautiful for me as well" The mountaineer called the danger that's involved in climbing "The salt and pepper that spice it up". "I'm facing danger by climbing Mt Everest, I can't deny that."

If salt and pepper=adequate metaphor for spicing up your life, you might be Dutch. Alas, I've had their food.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Out-loving-standing! I couldn't make it up Everest with an extra leg

Your dick's not THAT large

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

Except Tenzing Norgay.

He wasn't Sherpa by ethnicity.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The recent movie Everest did more justice to Anatoli. He's just a minor character, but shown as a very competent guide saving people from the storm.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

etalian posted:

Yeah the book also overlooked how they did have accurate weather forecasts but instead decided to proceed at risk.

They were aware of the approaching weather system, but expected it later in the afternoon. However, the climbers exceeded their return times and ran into trouble when the storm landed as expected. Most of the early returners got back safe.

Mostly, the information that the monsoon was coming early that year plus the heavy traffic on the Step contributed to what happened later.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

drat those Italians, they seem almost... Machiavellian :rimshot:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Supradog posted:

Isn't K2 pretty drat remote? As in 50mile hike along glacier valleys before you even get near it remote? + far from any settlement so quickish help and or anything else is not available.

I read a ton of books recommended in these threads, and if I'm not misremembering something, you need to hike for days from the nearest settlement until you get your first glimpse of K2.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Die Nordvand is good too. German drama of old timey climbers doing a first ascent of the north face of the Eiger. English title is The North Face.
From an era when climbers made their own equipment and wore combat boots with homemade crampons.

That film has superb cinematography and believable climbing. Another good tip is the old thriller Eiger Sanction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

"We're at 28,000 feet, maybe you should put your gloves back on."
"No, I need to show off my flag, take my picture"

"I ended up losing most of my fingers, but it was worth it"

That show was crazy.

Was it that show or one of the K2 books when a dude has to take a summit photo without the mask because his dentist needs one with his teeth visible?