Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

These threads have given me a lot of insight into human stupidity and short-sightedness. Here's to a new year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

DumbparameciuM posted:

The entire mountain is lined with poo poo.

Never going to stop linking that article in this thread.

This is the best article, thank you for gems like this:

quote:

“The peak has become a fecal time bomb,” Outside senior editor Grayson Schaffer wrote in 2012, “and the mess is gradually sliding back toward Base Camp.”
New thread title right there.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I just made it back from the corner shop, human feces and dead bodies everywhere I went. Saw the frozen corpse of my neighbour stare back at me from the sidewalk.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

"Oh, great, you made it this far. Now, how about being the first vegan to summit Everest and never mention being a vegan afterwards? Now there would be something to actually feel proud of... I know, impossible. Don't slip on the way down."

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

edit: quote is not edit.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

poo poo, this year is off to a grim start. I just remembered the thread a couple of days ago and then I read about Ueli on the paper today. Really, I guess with people who have the Summit Fever it's bound to happen at some point, but still :(

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Annual Everest Thread 2018: The proper term is a "Nuptse-daisy"

Yes.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I don't understand why they talk in menacing tones about the "killer mountain" when the real story is in asking why these people, many with families to take care of, willingly throw their lives away in a frozen hell they actively climbed and suffered their way into. The mountain is not going to force it's way into your flat to freeze your foot off, that's someone else's fault entirely.

edit: jesus that story

The Guardian posted:

Asked if she would ever climb again, she told AFP: “I think I will. I need this.”

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 2, 2018

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, I know an older dude who used to do proper big mountains back in the day. When his team finally lost someone, his reaction was "Jesus I have a family and that could've been me, gonna stick to hiking trails from now on cuz this is a game for the young, reckless and unmarried", not "I gotta get back up there to lose my other foot". There are no old climbers, as the saying goes, and I respect the dude both for his past feats of endurance and his capacity to not give in to summit fever when he already had a wife and kids to look after.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Noticed this today, it's pretty neato: BBC: Pipes, monks and glaciers: Climbing Everest, 1920s-style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Just limit the number of summit passes, put them on auction and let the Free Market™ take care of it. There are enough rich idiots to probably make what they get now and much more. The highest bidders get to sacrifice themselves to satiate the mountain's hunger, everybody wins.