Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

BobHoward posted:

I was almost more shocked by Russell Brice. Telling his "boys" he's frightened for their safety not because of Everest but because he's totally heard they're in danger of being kneecapped by their own countrymen was pretty disgusting. The silence in that tent as he pushed his theory was deafening. Also, him in voiceover talking up how Sherpas are inscrutable Orientals who don't want to reveal what they're feeling... which was in sharp contrast to the film's touching interviews with Sherpa climbers and their families. What a surprise, take people out of the context of talking to their combination benefactor/boss/exploiter and they are a lot more open.
I got the impression he was only pushing that theory for the cameras/clients to prevent any potential animosity from certain idiot clients unable to understand why Sherpas wouldn't want to continue the season after just experiencing the deaths of their friends. Didn't one of the Sherpas basically said just that in his interview as well, while adding that he's not heard of any threats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

BobHoward posted:

Did you catch the bit where he had the gall to tell his team of Sherpas they were just being intimidated by a few bad apples, and tried to imply they should tough it out and climb anyways? That they were harming their reputation and livelihood by not being happy clappy smiling helpful cutesy Sherpas? Ugh.
Yeah, that's the part where I was hoping he's been playing it up for the cameras as an excuse so his clients don't get pissed off at Sherpas. Or at him, I guess. Then again, that might be just me giving him a huge benefit of the doubt 'cause I want to believe at least one Westerner on that mountain is somewhat looking out for Sherpas' interests :smith:. Also, the part where he talked about them all basically losing a year's salaries was legit depressing. Like, you'd think if he cares that much he could just pay them anyway, I'm sure he could afford it considering the difference in salary.

The government's 'intervention' was something else as well. 'Uh, hey guys, we heard there's some trouble brewing and we should get involved. So, here we are. Okay, bye now.'