Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Anoia posted:

We're all going to hell but it's not like that's news.

I just wonder if this year is the "no I've been kept away enough you can't stop me" rush or if that'll be next year.

Imagine rich jerks shoving their way to be the next to die.

Looks to be this year:

Picnic Princess posted:

http://adventureblog.nationalgeogra...nt&sf21802294=1

Nat Geo is reporting that a bunch of idiots didn't listen to the Mountain God's words and we're expecting a busy season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Just split the Deathfest count into Sherpas and Shitlords and then do a total

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

chopbustabrown posted:

Must have a big Ethernet cable

Backpacks of USB sticks

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Germstore posted:

That picture makes it look like a tour group on a day trip.

Everest - expectation:

Reality:

I'm sure most of you have seen those by now, but they're relevant at season start.
From this album: http://m.imgur.com/gallery/Ermpp

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I vote that we don't count Sherpas. Things are awful enough for them as it is.

Wtf, this is exactly why we should count sherpas, because the assholes don't count them as worthy and they deserve to be recognised for the dangerous work they do

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

"Late '30s is middle aged" :baby:

Die in your 80s, call mid life late 30s to mid 40s?

Sounds about right to me. Sorry you're old. Have you considered climbing Everest in a misguided statement of your youthful delusions?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Annual Everest Thread 2017: a 'Once-in-a-lifetime' experience for all the wrong reasons!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

To be fair if you are heading down to the wrong 7-11 or to any Walmart at midnight, you will find a lot of people who could be mistaken for corpses in fancy dress...

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

elwood posted:

You mean we are all just heros in waiting?

Everest thread gangtag pls, 'Heroes In Waiting'

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

..."and as we commit her body to the ground, now finally recovered, we say a prayer for her soul and for her devoted... well, for her soul and her husband."

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

axeil posted:

imo, saving someone's life while climbing/hiking/etc is way more impressive an endeavor than getting to the summit and something that is way more impressive to brag about at cocktail parties.

I thought this too - "I was on everest" vs "I was a bonafide hero on everest"

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'll take your tent-no-sleeping-bag and raise you sleeping-bag-no-tent

quote:

So, when the Italians approached the Mir of Hunza, Jamal Khan, asking for men to help with the K2 ascent, Mehdi was among those picked from the hundreds of aspirants who packed the royal court.
He went on to make a huge contribution to the success of the expedition, which turned two climbers - Achille Compagnoni and Lino Lacedelli - into Italian national heroes.

A day before their summit bid, Mehdi had been persuaded to help an up-and-coming Italian climber, Walter Bonatti, to carry oxygen cylinders up to a height of about 8,000m, where they were to meet Compagnoni and Lacedelli.

"Other high altitude porters refused. My father agreed to the mission because he was offered a chance to get to the top," says his son, Sultan Ali.
But when they got to the designated spot, late in the evening, the tent was nowhere to be seen.

Eventually, as they searched for their Compagnoni and Lacedelli, and continued to climb, one of Bonatti's shouts was answered. The camp had been moved to a point now beyond their reach. A voice shouted to them to leave the oxygen and go back down, but the darkness made this impossible.
Mehdi and Bonatti were forced to spend the night huddled together on an ice ledge enduring temperatures of -50C (-58F). Both were ready to die, but somehow they survived what was, at the time, the highest ever open bivouac, at an altitude of some 8,100m (26,570ft).
It would later be revealed that Compagnoni had deliberately moved the camp because he wanted to prevent Bonatti and Mehdi from joining the summit bid. Compagnoni apparently feared that Bonatti, who was younger and fitter, would steal the limelight.
The next morning, leaving the oxygen cylinders there, Mehdi and Bonatti descended. Compagnoni and Lacedelli then picked up the oxygen and went on to claim the summit.
Unlike his Italian colleagues, Mehdi hadn't been given proper high-altitude snow boots. He was wearing regular army boots - according to some reports, they were two sizes too small for him. Inevitably, he suffered severe frostbite, and by the time he reached base camp he was unable to walk. He had to be carried on a stretcher to a hospital in the town of Skardu, where he was given first aid, and transferred from there to a military hospital in Rawalpindi.

basically if you see an Italian on K2, kill them quickly before they try to kill you.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

DrPlump posted:

In 10 years China will give helicopter rides to the summit from their side. 3 times a day a helicopter will come rumbling down causing avalanches below it. The doors will open and dozens of rich Chinese tourist will step out wearing North Face jackets. They will tweet some selfies and each claim to be some kind of "first" on the summit. Then they will pile back into the helicopter to leave causing another avalanche.

The Nepal government will ironically call it a gross exploitation of the mountain.

actually and sadly yes

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Italians you say? The other 3 killed him.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I for one am pumped about getting out own goon everista

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

LastCaress posted:

Sorry, didn't die in the mountains. Took some nice pictures, there's a reason to go to these places, they're beautiful.

As long as you didn't leave a trail of poop, oxygen bottles, and energy bar wrappers you're okay with me

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Basecamp hike only, iirc

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Arivia posted:

You have to go back to that gym and "climb" Everest in a yellow parka.

Green boots also acceptable

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Do we score one for the mountain?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-39175660

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

For people interested in the safety aspect of winter conditions in mountains, we have a really great website forecasting avalanche conditions in the mountains of Western Canada. And things are pretty insane right now in the Rockies.

http://avalanche.ca

And Kananaskis Public Safety, which is in charge of the region I spend most of my time in, posted this on their Facebook page:

There were two deaths earlier this week in Banff, two snowshoers were caught in an avalanche. It's just really ugly right now, I hope none of my friends say "gently caress it" and head out.

"Confidence: High" - rather ironic since that's going to be how people who'd actually choose to go out in it must feel

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Rondette posted:

Oh my, they animated it!!

https://youtu.be/SeSenrsQtwc

It has everything!!! Yaks, Sherpas hauling poo poo up the mountain, butter tea, getting lost in the fog and flying a broomstick from the summit

Perfection.

Also a poo poo in the snow. I was waiting for some cheeky green boot somewhere but alas

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

I can just change the title. But I'm keeping "Get rich and die hiking" because it's brilliant and makes me laugh every day.

Yeah just change every 6 to a 7 and we're good to go

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I thought he was solo climbing but the article implies he had a sherpa?

Also I've read it before but forgotten, what was the deal with fixing ropes?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Sorry I meant when they had the fight about ropes with sherpas. It was referenced in that Himalayan times article. I can look it up again myself later, just I'm at work right now

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah I can see how it'd be useful to them to sell their services but even if not, it's a silly case of 'one rule for Us, a different rule for Them'

Good luck to em, I say

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I met a pair of Nepalese dudes in Japan, they had nothing but respect for sherpas and were pretty awesome, highly knowledgeable dudes all round (we had several discussions while drunk across a couple of nights about linguistics, my area of expertise, and they had a sound understanding despite it being totally unrelated to their careers)

If you find a Nepalese person, buy them a beer, you won't regret it

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

He basically asked the mountain to take him, and as always, it obliged. It counts.

Is someone running a season tally? What is it now, 3?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Xibanya posted:

I think he's the first, didn't Steck die "off site" so to speak?

Well if we aren't counting Steck then it's still 2, there was that Brit, let me find the link

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

6th March - that's the current season, right?

(Also Aussie not Brit)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I hope that sherpa makes it

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

No it's 5 with 1 missing, so 5 excluding the missing one. The missing one would make it six.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

jobson groeth posted:

Thanks for the pics. Riding out an avalanche has been struck off the bucket list.

That's quitter talk. Just make it the last item.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

Everest permits only sold as a two-mountain package deal, not valid until stamped at K2 summit

This was pretty much going to be my suggestion.

Each year a big box of Everest passes is put at the top of K2.
Each pass is a stamped 10kg iron tablet, to stop people trying to take more than one (but you just know someone's gonna try)
There are a limited number.
Go.

Bonus: when the first rear end in a top hat up inevitably decides to dump the rest of the box off the summit just so they can be the "only climber to summit Everest in 2020" or whatever year

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Having "loads of actual humans puttung their lives at risk" and "low cost" bumped up together in the same sentence like that makes me loving disgusted

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Kilimanjaro isn't an 8km peak though?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Here's the thread for anyone who wants a refresher.

In that thread, someone links to this page:
https://www.elitedaily.com/life/culture/6-reasons-not-quitting-job-travel-waste-life/922153

quote:

So, get out there! If you've always wanted to hike K-2 -- go for it.

For your reference, the author is an early-20s guy who is now an Expert On Life because he moved to the wilderness that is Sydney or something and sang kareoke with "trannies" or whatever.

So yeah, I think he knows what he's talking about when he says you should just go out there and "hike" K2

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Everyone's obsessed with the Everest, but tbh I'd be happy with something just a little Everer than my everyday hike

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

OMGVBFLOL posted:

the real question is: can we tittyfuck the mountains

no the realer question is: why havent you tried??

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/sunday/clips/top-of-the-world

This guy's mother rules. She's angry at her son for putting his life in danger, but angrier he put sherpas' lives in danger taking them up with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Or people with a VPN, which is most people these days or so it seems