Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
No deaths. This is the year mankind fully conquers the mountain. No one will ever die on Everest again, and in a few decades, we'll be taking our grandchildren up the covered escalator as a day trip and taking a fun slide down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Didn't Nepal ever follow through on their plan to cutback on the number of idiots killing themselves in pursuit of the perfect selfie? All I can find is proposals.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Aha, eat it Everest. You're not the tallest mountain if you measure height in a dumb way

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/17/world/what-in-the-world/the-mountain-that-tops-everest-because-the-earth-is-fat.html

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

I didn't know altitude sickness itself could kill. Thought it was hypoxia or something

Isn't that what HAPE is? A couple people died of it before the summiting started (they should totally count).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Huh, you'd think a doctor would know enough to avoid huge mountains.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Plus now you can give yourself a mustache or a silly hat in real time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Am I crazy, or does every mountain climbing-focused site look like it was designed in 1999?

Edit: "Today the typical expedition member’s age ranges from 13 to 80 but mostly consist of 94% men in their late 30’s to mid 40’s."

Ohhhh it's a midlife crisis. This makes a lot more sense.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 24, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Can't he just dip into all that money they saved by going with the absolute cheapest outfit available?

Plus, one less mouth to feed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Yeah, one even "landed" (touched a skid on) the summit a few years ago. It's definitely dangerous but specialized helicopters are capable of flying fairly safely at those heights, given good weather.

Well hell, how much for a ride then? I can take a poo poo on the summit, laugh at the lineup and leave in half an hour.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dead man posting

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If you could freeze solid mid-poo poo, that would be pretty cool.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

elwood posted:

If anyone wants to follow my groundbreaking trip in the future, I'm more than happy to answer questions with my vast 14 day nepal hiking experience.

What is death like? Is the mountain constantly consuming and reviving your soul in the afterlife or is it more of a torture thing?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

elwood posted:

On the one hand he climbed it already so he knows what he's getting into. On the other hand, he seems to have a deathwish and with a 5 month old child, he is a selfish rear end in a top hat.

He's a "professional wingsuit pilot," so he'll be dead pretty soon anyway. I guess he may as well die on Everest.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

inferis posted:

Sports illustrated has an Everest cover story this month

Oh, here comes the jinx. It won't kill anyone else this season after that cover comes out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

They should read about K2 then. :toot:

In all seriousness though, I have no problem conceptually with those who want to push the envelope of human experience and risk their lives doing things incredibly dangerous.

Without people like this, there would be no astronauts, and in some sense I am tempted to say that part of our nature as a species is the statement George Mallory made about Everest: he wanted to climb it because it was there.

People wanted to go to the moon because it was there too, and I consider that one of the greatest achievement of human beings.

That said I feel like most of the deaths on Everest are the result of unprepared people with too much money--not in this case clearly--deciding the mountain is a bucket list check mark they need. That's not cool, that's stupid and also emblematic of how some people seem to have no regard not just for their own lives, but for their spouses and loving children that have to deal with the aftermath of their loved ones being utterly dumb.

We went to the moon for a very good reason: sticking it to the Ruskies :patriot:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It makes for pretty awesome videos. He will most definitely fall off a rock and die someday though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

marsisol posted:

From what I've read, Honnold doesn't even really free solo that often and he's definitely not an adrenaline junkie like so many that have died before him. I recall an interview where he says that if he feels any adrenaline while free soloing, it means something has gone horribly wrong. I get the impression that he's probably done free soloing after El Cap, it was literally his life's work.

Somebody gave him an MRI test, and the part of his brain that should be creating fear response isn't working correctly. Either he trained it away or it never worked right to begin with.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

Why K2 in winter? :psyduck:

Because it's there

in the winter

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JerikTelorian posted:

There was a death this weekend, and some injuries among sherpas doing prep work.

Simone La Terra, an Italian climber, was blown off the mountain (inside his tent) and fell almost a kilometer. Looks like his tent was either poorly situated or poorly anchored. Simone was reasonably experienced, having summited Shishapangma, Broad Peak, Gasherbrum ll, Cho Oyu and Manaslu

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2018/04/30/everest-2018-a-summit-and-a-death/

That's a hell of a way to go

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

:rip: if only that dumb canadian lady had waited a few years she could've made her dream of being carried half-dead up a mountain come true.

IIRC, she made it up the mountain.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's a good thing that rock fell off, right? That was the big bottleneck?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I murdered a Sherpa, and I've never felt better!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Val Helmethead posted:

This thread has gotten me bitten with the wanderlust bug. Got a mini-vacation planned to hike Mt. Katahdin later this month, the first of my many future conquests before I die alone on a 8K gasping for air.

:rip:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

I did a mountaineering course in school earlier this year. Wrote a complete guide on climbing Mt. Robson here in Canada as the class project and my prof gave me 100% on it. Guess I'm ready for Everest.

JK I would honestly die.

Ah you'll probably be fine you should do it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

Hiking Olympus Mons is also walking what more or less is flat ground. A boring hike.

But will I freeze to death in the middle of it?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Then it is the greatest athletic feat imaginable.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

To be fair, you need supplemental oxygen at sea level.

Maybe YOU need supplemental oxygen at sea level, but I'm in super good shape. I go to the rock climbing gym twice a week.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh, to be the first corpse on Olympus Mons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Val Helmethead posted:

RIP me. I climbed Mt Katahdin, via the Hunt trail, so obviously I'm ready for 14,000 ft peaks in Colorado, right?

Gonna climb Mt Elbert. Easy hike, if the acclimation doesn't get me.

This insanity will only end when I am frozen to death on Denali.

Try to die in an interesting position, so future generations can tell each other "When you pass the guy who died taking a poo poo, you're 2/3rds of the way to the top."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

Dude full screen it in hd, it's the guy tumbling end over end as if he fell face first.

From the comments, by the uploader:

quote:

tokyo hutte
2 weeks ago
It's a glove. I did not take the shot for person falling. Many items fell one by one after body. We were stunned and just watching them. Glove is almost the last item of falling.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

Dude that’s not a glove...are you all for real?

I'm just quoting the guy who uploaded the video responding in the comments to people asking about it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Val Helmethead posted:

Gonna do something smaller and a bit closer to me for October. Now, I could just drive to the WV highpoint, but why do that when I can backpack 25 miles round trip over 2 days through the backcountry, and camp next to a waterfall?

If I don't get killed by bears / banjo enthusiasts I will post pics.

:rip: in advance

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's all a countdown until China builds a golden elevator to the top and I get to laugh about how difficult it used to be.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

"in the single digits" for cancer is a big fuckin deal

Yeah, you don't hear about it much, but medical science has made a lot of headway against cancer. It doesn't get press because there hasn't been one big breakthrough. It's a lot of single-digit reductions in various types that have added up over the last couple decades.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This seems pretty foolhardy, although probably a lot less dangerous than cavediving. Probably can't get yourself into too much trouble when you can only travel as far as one breath will take you.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/2019/04/freedivers-guillaume-nery-julie-gautier-one-breath-around-world/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what's wild is, humans' desire to breathe is much more strongly moderated by our blood CO2 levels than by our blood O2, since O2 is almost all bound up in hemoglobin, and almost always near 100% saturation, but CO2 is just free-floating in the plasma and can vary much more based on activity level. Dissolved CO2 is also acidic, making blood pH the main thing that drives our feeling short of breath or a desire to breathe.

so as long as you took a bunch of deep breaths and jacked up your blood Ph enough, you can become hypoxic and pass out underwater without ever feeling the urge to surface and breathe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freediving_blackout

Whoa, that's nuts

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watching "The Summit" on Hulu, about the 2008 disaster on K2 that killed 11 people.

It's weird because they all seem to agree the rope crew hosed up leading to a late start, and an avalanche took out a climber with the ropes all the people above them needed, and then everything is just a confused blur after that because everyone spent so long above 8,000 meters, and then the survivors point fingers for the rest of their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

So yeah update from K2 sounds like most everyone gave up and went home except the special forces guy who's hellbent on climbing all 14 8000ers in a year, and a couple lunatics with no O2. They made Camp 4 a few hours ago.

https://explorersweb.com/2019/07/22/purba-launches-new-k2-push-but-how-risky-is-it/

So are they dead yet or what?