Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
This is the most random loving thing, but I finally managed to watch Doctors in the Death Zone, and while I was watching, something caught my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22rzD70s7gE

This is the song that was playing when they made it to the summit.

I've loved this guy's stuff for a while now, this is one of my favorite tracks off the album, so it tripped me out to hear it in some Everest documentary. Or anywhere, for that matter.

Anyway, good thread, even with the ups and downs and random conniption fits of 'grow a conscience.' This is one of the few that I've read start to finish in a surprisingly short amount of time, and it has an irritating habit of making me want to get off my sedentary rear end and actually do stuff.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

ZombieLenin posted:

Doing stuff is good! Just don’t go from sedentary to trying to climb 8km mountains. It would suck if the thread became about you.

That’s what this thread has taught me.

Sorry, friend, dreams of being the first bi woman with a bad smoking habit to summit cannot be crushed that easily.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
it'shappening dot gif

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2019/07/03/k2-2019-summer-season-coverage-will-k2-be-like-everest-this-year/

Alan Arnette posted:

As the ropes fixers make progress and teams prepare for their first rotations, there is trouble in the air.

Similar to the early signals this past spring on many 8000ers with 10 deaths, the additional 11 deaths on Everest made the warning signs clear. And now we see the same signals on K2: record permits issued, and inexperienced climbers. The wildcard may be how the weather develops and how many days will be suitable for summit bids. In any event, queuing at House Chimney, the Bottleneck and the Traverse occur when there are less than 30 people on the Hill. What will happen with five times that?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
There but for the grace of god goes 150 reasons why death pools exist.

don't bring back the death pool but seriously that number is loving baffling

EDIT vvv I personally had no problem with it, but I mainlined the threads wholesale and holy poo poo the number of times it gets dragged puts it firmly in the territory of 'not worth it' vvv

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 6, 2019

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I'm sorry I brought it up.

Making matters worse, this is from an earlier post (June 26th):

Alan Arnette posted:

One Pakistan Expeditor operator told me that there is a serious shortage of porters to haul gear up the Baltoro to the base camps of K2, Broad Peak and the Gasherbrum’s:

quote:

Everyone just jumped in without knowing others date of arrival and how many arriving on same date. In Askoli the quantity is 500 including animals and demand is 1000 or more within one week. Also inexperience tour operators with cheap packages are another reason. Everyone one has problems this year shortage of porters animals and new snow. Animals cannot walk on snow
Let’s hope all this gets resolved so the climbing can begin … when the weather allows.

There's been a string of bad weather hampering progress, but they're still in the "good" window, weather-wise. Technically. IIRC, K2's season ends mid to early August?

Still, shaping up for a great, uh--

Well. It's sure something.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Sand Monster posted:

The article says it's also an influx of inexperienced climbers. On K2. It's probably people who were hand-held up Everest and found it relatively simple (because it is, technically speaking), and decided they want to try the second biggest summit to post on their Instagram.

Not just inexperienced climbers, inexperienced tour operators.

Gonna need the K2 edition of the goon-made #Everest game now.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

cock hero flux posted:

k2 isn't going to put up with this poo poo and everyone there who climbed everest and thought that now that they've conquered it they can take on anything is going to experience the slow, horrible realization that it is, comparatively, the Nice Mountain

The dudes that got catapulted into the sky would take issue with your definition of 'slow' if they weren't still being mulched into undifferentiated parts at the base of the mountain.

Jr. posted:

It game-overs the second you stop for a photo

Saw 27 new posts and man, thread didn't disappoint. EVEREST IS CANCELLED the lit new mountain for dentists is K2, it will become safer because of the pile of dead rich people softening your fall at the bottom.

Lot of crevasses to fill up first. 150 is barely going to cover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Alan Smithee posted:

which one was this

This guy

2008 K2 Disaster posted:

Several people later indicated Baig may have been suffering from high altitude sickness, since he had displayed questionable behaviour in abseiling down the Bottleneck. Sträng also noticed that Baig was incoherent, first offering to help in the rescue, later refusing to help, then returning moments later to assist them again. Baig lost his footing and bumped into Sträng, who then urged him to let go of the rope attached to Mandić's harness, before all four climbers would be dragged down. Baig finally let go of the rope, but to Sträng's and the others' surprise, he did not try to stop his slide by using the self-arrest technique, which has about a 50% chance of arresting a fall, and Baig fell to his death.

'Sky' seems a relative term at that elevation.