Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Is 8 taken? I'll take 8 if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Does anyone recall the quote from one of these threads without my having to dig where someone wanted to die on Everest and become a permanent attraction with their mouth hungrily looming over their genitals or something?

I kept thinking about it at work and laughing.

I dunno about that, but putting on a yeti costume and freezing to death in a lunging pose is def something that has come up in "ways to die on everest"

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I hate to seriouspost, but couldn't you like, spend some time in an oyxgen chamber that simulated being at Everest's peak to make sure you didn't just die from altitude? If I understand HAPE and HACE correctly it's less about training and more about "did you win the genetic lottery" so theoretically a couple days in an oxygen chamber would let you know if you're gonna die or not.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Outrail posted:

Anyone got some context as to why they climbed up that spike just to camp? If it's a look how baddass this is thing I understand, because that's baddass.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the surrounding area isn't stable enough to establish a camp but the giant phallus shaped rock is very stable so they camp there?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I saw a car today with a vanity plate that said VEGAN and at least 5 vegan bumper stickers. In that moment I understood why Everest thirsted for blood.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

It's actually super easy to reuse spent nuclear fuel, but we don't because Americans are deathly afraid of anything nuclear and the public thinks burying it is safer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The Goatfather posted:

Days of snowy and butty conditions had left rescuers unable to reach the remote peak to search for renowned alpinists Kyle Dempster and Scott Adamson, said Jonathan Thesenga, of Black Diamond Equipment.

I hate when my mountains are particularly butty