Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Sorry I'm late to the new thread Rondette. If you're still taking bets, can I have my same side bet from last year? Fuckhead hypoxic tourist suplexes a Sherpa off the Kangshung Face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Jose posted:

So whats the most ridiculous climb of a mountain anyone has done? like K2 on a bad face during winter or something

The attempts on the North Face of the Eiger were pretty hosed. Lots of Brave Young Men dying on a hell-rimed, trap infested wall while tourists and the media watch on cosily from the Chalet below.

Messner's first attempt on Everest without supplemental Oxygen and his first attempt on the Rupal Face of Nanga Parbat in 1970 are both loving mental.

e:

Picnic Princess posted:

http://adventureblog.nationalgeogra...nt&sf21802294=1

Nat Geo is reporting that a bunch of idiots didn't listen to the Mountain God's words and we're expecting a busy season.

Additional side bet: This is the year Russel Brice looses a climber

Double edit: HMEX state on their website that there are third party companies in Kathmandu who will chopper you all the way to Everest Base Camp now. Because gently caress taking the week long acclimatising and conditioning hike!!! I got a mountain to clime yehhhh buddy!!!

DPM fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 2, 2016

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

pr0k posted:

From what I've read you also get to skip out on an otherwise inevitable bout of dysentery, so I think I might take that option if I were a richie rich, and spend an extra week hiking around base camp.

Well you're also incredibly likely to catch some form of food poisoning while you're eating/drinking on the mountain so they might as well just hurry up and build the travelators to the top then I guess.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

How on earth do you get food poisoning when you're in sub-zero temperatures?

To expand on some points already made...

gohuskies posted:

They have big stoves to melt snow. You have to find clean snow, but sherpas can do that.

Big stoves are fine at basecamp but watch tourists at camp two or three taking like an hour to melt enough snow for two mugs of tea on lovely little metho burner stoves. As for finding clean snow...

"Peak Poop: The Feces Problem on Everest Needs a Solution"

“The only good part about the human waste situation above Base Camp is that poo poo freezes fast at 8,000 meters,” says Adrian Ballinger, veteran Everest guide and founder of Alpenglow Expeditions. “Beyond that, it’s an inexcusable embarrassment. If you walk from one tent to another in Camp II or IV, you will step in poo poo. If you melt snow from the camp areas, you are drinking poo poo.”

“Every year, it is getting worse with poop,” says Lakpa Rita, a 23-year veteran sirdar and 17-time summiter. “People just dig holes at Camps I and II, and it melts out and smells terrible. When it melts out, it gets into the water, and people are getting sick at every camp.”

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Bad processing practices give you a can full of botulinus toxin. Still happens occasionally. Other than that, Fred Smith is shedding (say) norovirus. The norovirus stays warm and happy on his hands. He makes supper, or passes you his water bottle. Whammo.

Also check out any videos of the base camp set ups that the bigger private groups like HIMEX use - super high tech food storage solutions - massive blue plastic barrels filled with raw meat which get dug into snow banks near the cooking tents. Usually fly blown to gently caress before they make it into the barrels as well. And HIMEX is one of the bigger, better supplied outfits there. Imagine what the el-cheapo mobs are doing. And who knows how the gently caress the food got there, other than overland on the back of a sherpa all the way from Lukla. They aren't helicoptering in McDonalds from Kathmandu*. The meat doesn't pop into existence freshly butchered and under cling film when you get there. There's no Costco at Everest BC**.

Additionally, when people are higher up the mountain, it seems like they're typically mixing whatever they can that will get in their thermos so they don't have to gently caress around making actual food. Plenty of VT of people mixing kool aid into milky tea and dehydrated soup, poo poo like that. They haven't been eating regular meals at regular times, so your system would be all out of whack. And the higher you go, the slower your body digests food. Stuff is just sitting in your gut all day as you climb. And on top of that you've been eating that fly blown (e: horse) Yak meat for weeks. No wonder people get the, heh heh, galloping shits.

*yet
**yet

DPM fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 4, 2016

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
Feeling so strong on my sidebets this year.

To be a fly on the wall when Brycie found out that Medvitz is going to be back on "his" mountain this season, holy hell.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Ars Arcanum posted:

I wonder when we will get the first child sacrifice victim on the mountain. Hopefully never, but the abundance of stupid rich people, including those willing to risk their children's lives for bragging rights, makes it seem inevitable.

Woulda made a good side bet.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Gann Jerrod posted:

Won't this just mean that the less experienced climbers will go through the harder China side instead?

China doesnt approve a lot of those permits anyway, but I think it means more people will make applications to China.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

mike12345 posted:

After Touching the Void, every time someone mentions mountaineering, Boney M starts playing in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiX2PbrBXCQ

May it permeate your nightmares as it has mine.

TRA-LALALA LALA

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
We can only hope Tim Medvitz gets good coverage of it. And dies inside of it.

e: Did anyone sidebet death for Medvitz?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Alan Smithee posted:

I forget if it was mentioned but is the entire deathzone just lined with vintage poo poo?

The entire mountain is lined with poo poo.

Never going to stop linking that article in this thread.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
Tim Medvitz, king of poo poo mountain

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Youre all welcome, now you can go back to posting articles and commenting about how some girl who died is a stupid bitch or whatever.
Enjoy

oh no a random concern troll in the GBS Everest Death Pool thread what are we going to do oh nooooooo

E: Seasons officially over with a toll of 6. I'll get you next time, himEX.

DPM fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 6, 2016

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnuzVyTI2uM

Pretty interesting talk by Anker at Google. Talks a bit about the Everest clean up efforts and goes into more detail right at the end about how he reached the conclusion that Mallory didn't summit.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

KidPixing.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

gohuskies posted:

it is super 70s though.

Clint Eastwood as JONATHAN HEMLOCK

Also, it's hilarious how hard the trailer tries to get over the term "Sanction" as a stand in for "assassination".

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
Even Kilimanjaro hungers

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Aphex- posted:

Any requests on corpse position if I succumb to HACE or HAPE?

Make like you're grabbing a pussy :trumppop:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
Before Trumpchat overtakes this thread as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBqu2p5n-o8

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

BobHoward posted:

IIRC, there's routes up Everest itself that have killed something like 50 or 75% of the ten or so people who have ever attempted them. (With the reason for so few attempts being that they're so ridiculously dangerous that you only try them if desperate to do something almost nobody has done.)

I believe you're referring to the north face ascent done in winter?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

ewe2 posted:

Imagine the carnage if the tourists figure out where the real fun is.

Good news mate

^ That was K2 basecamp last year.

Also lets not forget Chinas plans to put luxury hotels on their EBC, they want it to be like the Eiger Nordwand or some poo poo. Watch the death tolls zoom up as the weak and infirm tourists brains pop due to cerebral edema just from being at base camp level :laffo:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
Annual Everest thread 2017: ALL GIFTS ARE ACCEPTED BY ARANAKTU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

shame on an IGA posted:

That escalated beautifully

And escalated so far up that we're all now dying of embolisms and hypothermia!

(I'm really excited for death season this year you guys. I am gunna win that John Cena doll this year I can feel it!)

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
Shitposting concern trolls: "Rah rah how dare you make fun of rich idiots killing themselves at their own and their loved ones expense?"
Everyone else: "Yeah I'll take X people to die for the Rich Idiot Death bingo"

:laffo:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

MisterOblivious posted:

There's no prize.

*ahem*, I've been promised a John Cena doll for whenever that hypoxic tourist suplexes a sherpa off the Kangshung Face. I don't come to this thread for the death pool though. Not sure why we needed to make a 2017 thread, especially one in GBS when this one is perfectly suitable but then I am a garbage dick noobie and I still don't really get how most of this gigantic internet dungeon operates so w/e.

Rondette posted:

I will pay you money and be your friend forever if you could snag me one of those 'Everest no problem' Bart Simpson tshirts that was posted earlier.

This one right? If there's any interest I might do a run of printed ones. Nowhere near as cool or legit as the embroidered ones though :saddowns:

DPM fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 8, 2017

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I vote for specific bets rather than pure death counts, in the style of my suplex joke bet. Way more interesting than pages of people being like

quote:

11! HAIL CHOMOLOMUNGMAH

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Rondette posted:

I would definitely get one, as the OP of these last few sick threads it'd be my duty.

I'll let you know once I have this together.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
And keep in mind that China apparently want to Disney up their side of the mountain so you can drive right to the hotel they're putting at basecamp. (I hope they don't put stairs in it lol)

I mean, the hike in to EBC is what, four days to a week of useful acclimatization? And people like this guy still die because of the altitude. What happens when instead you can spend a day or two on a bus and be at the same(ish) altitude? :psyboom:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I'll recommend Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills with the caveat that it's entirely technical. As in, it's a textbook on all things mountaineering, from bouldering, tshirts, and day-hiking all the way up to multi-day big wall climbs, crampons, goretex, and 8000m summits. Avalanche risk evaluation, the pros and cons of various materials and types of gear, an exhaustive list of knots and how to tie them, and on and on and on. If you do anything that even grazes the topic it's a useful resource, in addition to just being a fun read if you're the sort of nerd like me who enjoys technical-reading-fueled daydreaming.

This is extremely my poo poo, thank you.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
drat, RIP Steck.

I was scoffing at posts like the following*

Rondette posted:

Also, yeah..... worried for Ueli, suicide by mountain????

And he got taken out on an acclimatisation run. WTF man.

*Sorry Rondette you're cool but I was like "No way, Steck has got this". Solemn reminder that nobody is bigger than the mountain :smith:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Cross-quoting this from the GBS thread because it looks awesome. Anyone ever play it?

I haven't played that one specifically, there is a more modern board game called K2 which is very similar in concept and is pretty rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Doctor Malaver posted:

I have an idea! Nepal could announce that say year 2020 will be a Year of Respect and that the season will be entirely devoted to removing all bodies from the mountain. There would be no summits that year.

It would be a right thing to do and I'm sure plenty of climbers would be interested. Since they are still "using" the mountain, Nepal could charge them for some reduced permits although overall they would earn less from permits that year. However this noble cause might attract some sponsor money. And to celebrate they could charge more for permits for casuals from 2021 on so any temporary loss would soon turn into a gain.

This is a neat idea and everything but the Nepalese government has shown time and time again that they rely on those paid climbing permits, and will issue as many as they can accept payment for. They've shown multiple times that they only care about Sherpa welfare and the environment only when it doesn't cost them directly.

Again, I think this is a good idea and they should do this.