Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

HungryMedusa posted:

I imagine dying on the mountain would be horrible. You are exhausted and dizzy, hands feet and face bulging with edema. No matter how hard you try, you can't catch your breath. The wind pelts you with ice, snow and the wrapper from a Clif bar the guy in front of you just ate. The feeling is gone, in your fingers, your toes. The loves of your life flash in front of your deadening eyes, but you don't have the strength to go back to them. You slip away knowing you will never see them again. You close your eyes one last time and faaaaaaaaaaaaaaart.

Nah, you're pretty out of it by the time death takes you and by all accounts it's pretty pleasant. You don't have much time to panic, you just pass gas on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I watched Beyond the Edge tonight. Was good.

There's a part early on where it talks about how a bunch of people had died with no summits. I reckon these last two years have been great for Everest's KDR so I'm excited to see if she keeps it up.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Where can a dirty non-cable haver see this movie? I have asked a friend of mine who was the logistics chief for the Yuchiro Muira expedition what his thoughts are about the general climbing season and the upset of the Sherpas. He is not a Sherpa, I believe he's Tamang, but he'd have views reflective of the region and perhaps even more nuance as a minority porter/guide.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
http://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/mt-everest-nepal-17-climbers-evacuated-400-complain-altitude-sickness/

She's just not in a good mood this year after the last two years didn't chase everyone off. 10 climbers have bailed, with an additional 17 climbers and 10 HAPs getting flown out due to HAPE/HACE related sicknesses. It sounds like maybe they are having less tolerance for questionable climbers this year, maybe a bid to keep the death count low in order to help promote the region again.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Welp, things are going to get very interesting in the region very soon I think.

For background: after the earthquakes last year, India gave real, practical support in the form of troops, material aid, food, and so on. It bypassed the Nepali federal government and went straight to the regions that needed it. India's help was ultimately very effective, as far as that goes. China, however, just gave a bigass check for about 4 billion dollars to the Nepali government. Exactly none of that money has been used for aid, it has all vanished into the coffers of the government and its officials.

As a result, Nepali media coverage was overwhelmingly in support of the very generous Chinese donations, naturally. Though the people of Nepal generally know that this is all lies, the government is continuing to play it straight and just recalled their ambassador from India. The Nepali President had an official state visit to India planned which he cancelled without notice, and the ambassador raised concerns. This resulted in his recall.

India provides most of the real material assistance involved in rescues on Everest, especially when major disasters hit, such as the earthquake or the avalanche the year before. This is very clearly a result of tension between the Chinese-backed majority government and the India-sympathetic minority.

I'm not sure things will come to a head this year, but it's possible next year will see the live action version of that Far Cry game, as India and China fight yet another proxy war for dominance over the region.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if India doesn't provide any helicopter rescue support for Everest this year - which could result in problems.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Lmao the Chinese are claiming they were responsible for minting the first Tibetan coins in the 1700s? What whacky revisionist history will they dream up next?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Jose posted:

whats pemba gyalje sherpa up to these days he did insane stuff if the summit was telling the truth

He's got a website. He apparently is running his own business doing some treks and minor summits, and also training climbers.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Microwaves Mom posted:

lol.

I think first serial killer to summit everest is still open.

First serial killer to kill on everest too!

Does it matter the order? Like to be first serial killer to summit do you have to already be a serial killer? Or can you summit and then take up serial killing and get the title retroactively?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Zyla posted:

also don't gently caress up and be a mere spree killer, that would sure be embarassing

Seriously. I mean being the first serial killer takes actual dedication, time, effort. First spree killer is basically nonsense. Easy mode.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Microwaves Mom posted:

Ding ding ding! We got another one!
:toot:

That brings our total of assholes to 2 dead and 1 sherpa.

Professional climbers are semi-assholes at best IMO

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
When I was first introduced to Snapchat, and someone explained the concept to me, I felt bad that apparently market forces conspired to encourage the development of an app with which to send dickpics.

That said, I just reinstalled that app and the videos are unremarkable. I'll be happy to let you all know if you need to install it desperately at some point.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Pekinduck posted:

Uhh they're called #EverestNoFilter not #EverestReverseOsmosisFilter

:golfclap:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Hopper posted:

No sense blaming a team for her body failing. She was on a stupid crusade to prove something that isn't worth fighting over much less dying for and failed horribly. Now it turns out she was also a cheapskate or couldn't afford a proper team.

She was pretty much up there with all the other idiots who climb Everest for all the wrong reason.

She's a Shah-Klorfine for the post-apocalyptic season. We just need to find her dumb website.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

lmao one-lunged lung cancer survivors confirmed healthier than vegans

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
The Balti term for K2 is Chogori. Balti is a proto-Tibetan language that is closely related to Ladakhi and Kham Tibetan, it did not evolve like standard Tibetan but like an English speaker who knows about language development can suss out a little Old English, I am able to speculate that while this is generally translated "big mountain," it is probably the origin of the modern Tibetan word མཆོག་ meaning "supreme" or "the best." Ri in Balti is the same as standard Tibetan རི་ meaning "mountain."

So for your purposes of homage in a name, K2 could definitely be called "Supreme Mountain." This is consistent also with how deities are named in Tibetan (e.g. སྒྲོལ་མ་ Drolma, Tara, lit. liberation woman, བདེ་མཆོག་འཁོར་ལོ་ Dechog Khorlo, Chakrasamvara, lit. wheel of great bliss).

So if you want to do rituals to protect those dudes supplications to Chogori would be appropriate I should think.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Also I'm phone posting or I'd find it, but if you're into colonial English sensibilities, Aleister Crowley details both of his attempts on K2 in his autobiography. Googling his autobiography should find it, it's somewhere in the chapters 30s or 40s if I recall correctly and chock full of that delightful old world racism.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

I think he wants Chogori to eat the people.

I mean that's not really something I can provide ritual advice on as it edges into sorcery but I'm not saying it's not possible lmao

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

elwood posted:

Or earlier.

Make sure you update this thread when you die so we can make the appropriate photoshops and so on.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Is one of you working for ClickHole?

http://www.clickhole.com/article/car-crash-survivor-called-completing-physical-ther-5163

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

ewe2 posted:

I think its assumed the Chinese removed the bodies because they were gone at the beginning of the next season.

Doubtful, wrong side of the mountain.

I believe what was said about him getting pitched off the side is to the best of anyone's knowledge correct.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Shangri-Law School posted:

No, Green Boots was on the Tibetan side.

He's believed to be Tsewang Paljor from the Indo-Tibetan Border Police, they would not have in any way been on the Tibetan side. David Sharp died very near him, and he also went from Nepali side via Asian Trekking, right?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Comrade Koba posted:

Both Paljor and Sharp used the Northeast ridge route, starting from the Tibetan side.

Wow, I had a totally wrong read on both the 1996 and 2006 disasters. I stand corrected then.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Wow a whole bunch of new posts in the Everest thread, some idiot must have . . .

quote:

Rip Ueli

:stare:

Not a lot of words for this. We all gotta go sometime I guess. Wasn't this his first return after the Sherpa affair? The mountain gods were not happy with him.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Jimmy Hats posted:

Anyways I'm gonna be THAT GUY and ask if Steck's death just counts as 1 or is there a bonus because he was so good?

Still just counts as one but the mountain earns double XP.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Ahem.

Died on Nuptse hence not technically on Everest.

:eng101:

Acclimatization run for Everest though. He's being considered first death of the season but yeah.

Probably Nuptse will level up from this.

Also, first death of the season makes sense because even in death Ueli has got to be number one.

ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ་ཧྲཱིཿ

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Wasabi the J posted:

Sounds like she's ureally steck up there!

:nallears:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Sherpas protesting again, once again looking in the right as well. This time they are demanding summit certificates, which they are not issued because they aren't technically members of expeditions as they don't pay the ransom to the government.

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/sherpas-protest-everest-base-camp-demand-summit-certificates/

Doesn't look like they are aiming to shut down the season again, but it's good to see them seizing their power once again to get the treatment they deserve.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah, a summit certificate is basically official recognition that you did the thing. Anyone who climbs on an expedition pays for one in advance as part of their fees, and it is issued on a successful summit. For most touristy climbers this is a "you did it good job" sticker, but for professional mountaineers this is the only thing that proves that they summitted. Sherpas not getting them means that they can easily be overlooked or denied credit for a summit, which makes them dependent on their employers for recognition. That is, let's say Dawa Sherpa (made up name) works for Himalayan Extremo Climbers, but he knows that Everest Rocks or whoever might pay him more. With a summit certificate, he can show up and say "hey, I've summitted before, I'm legit, I'd like to be a guide." Without one, he can say "I've summitted before" but Everest Rocks can go "oh, is that so?" They call Himalayan Extremo, HEC says "nah, he's a porter, gently caress that guy" and he's boned.

Basically, getting a summit certificate helps Sherpas gain recognition for their efforts and also gives them more bartering ability on the job, because they can prove their accomplishments. It's not every Sherpa that summits, most of the Sherpas working for these kinds of outfits are porters, cooks, logistics guys, etc.

And also, just, climbing Everest is a big deal no matter how light we make of it, and it's good to be able to prove you did it. Where Generic Rich Tourist #491 for a season is going to have selfies and instagrams and whatever else, Sherpas are usually busy keeping that guy alive, and aren't taking selfies on the summit.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Harder, on account of it's now unknown and also possibly more technical.

Silver lining, first ascents are an option.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Those gaps might possibly make it trickier, and who knows if they're going to get new ladders up there this season. :suspense:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

PostNouveau posted:

It makes for pretty awesome videos. He will most definitely fall off a rock and die someday though.

Then that video, too, will be awesome in the "oh god how terrible" sort of way

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Cymoril posted:

http://news10.com/2017/06/21/experienced-hiker-from-catskill-goes-missing-while-climbing-russian-mountain/

He went soloing Mt. Elbrus while his pregnant wife waited at home. Unexpected storm swept in and he never made it back to base camp.

"Beare’s family has not hired a private search firm and two helicopters to try and find him. They are holding out hope that he is safe and alive somewhere."

. . . that's oddly specific.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Elisabeth Revol made it down with the K2 team after K2 team choppered over yesterday. They've aborted the attempt to rescue the Polish climber Tomek Mackiewicz. Nanga scores additional points for this because the K2 climbers aborted their historic winter attempt.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't mean to be crass or oversimplify a complex problem, but if they're trying to still have lots of climbing traffic, and still minimize the ecologically impact of climbers, could they not build a nearby "green" waste management facility?

I would imagine if there's a sustainable way of handling all the poo poo and trash at base camp, it would benefit climbers and the government.

It more or less boils down to a "who will pay for it" sort of situation I think.

There's actually very little we as a species couldn't manage but Nepal bearing the incredible expense of building a modern waste management facility (vs throwing all the human waste they can find down a crevasse) in the middle of Everest when most of the country is using cesspits is kinda unlikely you know?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
lmao took a wrong turn and died on the wrong mountain

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib