Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lid posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/05/zika-virus-saliva-urine-transmission-kissing

Zika is more and more turning into what the paranoid beliefs of AIDS were.

That spells ill health for the Olympic Village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Zika Outbreak Means It Is Now Time To Cancel Rio Olympics

Lee Igel
CONTRIBUTOR
Exploring decision-making & behaviors at work in the sports business.
by Arthur L. Caplan & Lee H. Igel

It is beginning to look like the time has come to call off the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. The reason is simple: young women cannot travel there safely. While polluted water and security issues have already made things tough for anyone who would be a visitor there, now Brazil is on the front line of the mosquito-borne Zika virus epidemic. To host the Games at a site teeming with Zika, an outbreak the World Health Organization has labelled a “public health emergency of international concern,” is, quite simply, irresponsible.

Who is going to go to Rio in the middle of a Zika outbreak? Not young women fans, who might get pregnant and risk giving birth to a child with a birth defect. Not male fans who are sexually active and risk transmitting the disease to a partner. Maybe the athletes, coaches, and other members of national Olympic teams will travel to Rio.

Imagine playing a sport so well that it earns you a spot on your country’s Olympic team. All of the time, sweat, and money you’ve dedicated to the pursuit have paid off in an opportunity to compete with the best in the world in your chosen sport. If you are one of those gifted and fortunate enough to be called on to head to the Rio Games, sure you want to go. This may be your only chance to participate in a Games.

Several athletes who are preparing to compete in Rio didn’t feel a need to wait for a WHO advisory. They’ve already started stocking up on bug spray, thinking about how to bide their time holed up in living quarters, and plotting ways to evade and repel mosquitoes.

So, athletes may still want to go to Rio. But there is no way the International Olympic Committee should let them. At the same time, corporations and media organizations need to think along the same lines, that is, putting safety ahead of their bottom lines.

Virus-carrying bugs attacking people in a city hosting a sports mega-event sounds like the basis of a Hollywood plot line. But this is no sci-fi or action movie. And it’s certainly not the stuff of comedy or B-movies, either. The Zika virus is real, of course, and its widespread transmission requires a coordinated response from government institutions, health care organizations, and local and regional communities. Brazil is going broke even without paying for the Olympics. Where should its financial priority be in the middle of an epidemic?

WHO officials said the virus is “spreading explosively,” and could infect between 3 million to 4 million people within one year. Adding to the anxiety is that the particular type of mosquitoes that transmit Zika are the same ones that help spread diseases such as dengue, yellow fever, and chikungunya.

The IOC is advising national Olympic committees to keep tabs on and follow WHO guidance. IOC officials aren’t overly concerned about the Games taking place as planned in light of the Zika outbreak. Organizers in Rio are of the same mindset, though are reportedly taking closer looks at venues to reduce the possibility of mosquito infestation.

This is a risky—maybe even crazy—approach.

By the time the Games roll around, many fans aren’t likely to attend. The media will report on nothing but mosquitos and birth defects, more than a few athletes and coaching staffs will balk at competing in Rio, and Brazil will be sinking further into debt trying to battle an epidemic while paying for the Games.

The IOC needs to either move the Games, postpone them, or cancel them. Prevention is the best course in the face of a serious threat to humanity.

Arthur L. Caplan, PhD, is the Drs. William F. and Virginia Connolly Mitty Professor and head of the Division of Bioethics at New York University Langone Medical Center. Lee H. Igel, PhD, is associate professor in the Tisch Institute at New York University. Both are affiliated with the NYU Sports and Society program.

Expect this type of article to become more common, and that was before zika was found in saliva and urine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lid posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/05/zika-virus-saliva-urine-transmission-kissing

Zika is more and more turning into what the paranoid beliefs of AIDS were.

Jesus. this won't end well. i guess the evangelicals have a new virus to jerk off about.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
This poo poo is just like a winning game of Pandemic. Very few symptoms, late to be discovered by the developed world, transmissable via multiple vectors, and coming to light right before an Olympics for massive multicontinental transmission. Anybody needs me, I'll be in Greenland.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Jesus. this won't end well. i guess the evangelicals have a new virus to jerk off about.

Frankly, there is too much still unknown about Zika for reactionary institutions like WHO to follow the lead of CDC and advise certain travel bans.

Does Zika cause any permanent neurological damage? Can Zika infection re-emerge? How long is Zika transmissible after symptom subsidence? What is the likelyhood of different exposures to different viral loads to lead to infection? Is Zika transmissable through any zoonotic reservoirs?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Madagascar will survive this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
At what point will we be able to call this the breeder disease?

And when is Alex Jones going to start claiming it as a engineered disease by gay scientists?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

At what point will we be able to call this the breeder disease?

And when is Alex Jones going to start claiming it as a engineered disease by gay scientists?

I believe that the "breeder disease" already has a namr, Hollismason: pregnancy.

It is an infection with a 9~ month progression.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

Do you think their tiny brains are developed enough to feel fear if we slowly tortured them all to death?

Mosquitoes are capable of limited forms of learning, so why not.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

So just like all of Latin America except for Cuba, coincidentally where the Olympics are being held?

Yeah. I'm a woman of childbearing age and I'd hate to live in Brazil right about now.

Nonsense posted:

Na deformed babies are worse than a fever, sorry the world disagrees. Also actually help US officials if you know so much because this is going to be ebola scare all over again.

From a strictly biological perspective, zika is one of the least bad viruses spread by Aedes. Its mortality rate among healthy adults stands at zero. Microcephaly is obviously extremely bad but it's important to keep the following statistics in mind: dengue and yellow fever sicken hundreds of millions of people every year, and kill tens of thousands, and that includes babies. Unless zika evolves into a superbug, it's never going to have the same impact.

PT6A posted:

I'd also point out that there are vaccines for yellow fever and dengue, whereas there is not for Zika.

You can be vaccinated for yellow fever. Multiple dengue vaccines exist in various stages of development, but aren't yet available to the public. You can't be vaccinated against dengue.

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Physiologically speaking, what are the major differences between the Aedes genus of mosquitos and other mosquito species that make it the primary vector for dengue, zika etc?

This is still an open question. It's important to know that dengue, zika, yellow fever, chikungunya, and several other viruses spread by Aedes are all closely related (they're in the same genus, Flavivirus). These viruses employ similar mechanisms to invade mosquitoes and replicate and travel within their bodies. One significant adaptation is their ability to bypass the midgut barrier in Aedes -- they can bind to receptor proteins in the mosquito midgut epithelium, establish themselves within the cells, and eventually make their way to the salivary glands. It's possible to genetically engineer Aedes mosquitoes that lack these specific binding sites in the midgut, and this results in lowered susceptibility to viral infection.

There are some other quirks that aren't all unique to Aedes but help explain why it's such a significant human disease vector. Aedes has been feeding on primates and humans for a very long time, giving viruses ample opportunity to jump from animals to people and back again, evolving past our immunological defenses. Some Aedes species can pass viruses down to their offspring (via "vertical" transmission), helping diseases persist even in the absence of human reservoirs. Also, Aedes mosquitoes are primarily tropical, and flaviviruses replicate best in warm conditions.

Special note about Aedes aegypti -- it's evolved (pretty recently) to feed primarily on people, and thrives in cities. There's a reason why you hear about this species so much in the news. These mosquitoes breed in drinking and waste water, roam around buildings looking for people to bite, will come out during the day (many other species are nocturnal), and often feed on multiple hosts. Picture a massive swarm of heat-seeking hypodermic needles flying around a city stabbing people more or less at random, and it becomes clear why human-associated mosquitoes are such a menace to public health.

Troutful fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 6, 2016

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Troutful posted:

From a strictly biological perspective, zika is one of the least bad viruses spread by Aedes. Its mortality rate among healthy adults stands at zero. Microcephaly is obviously extremely bad but it's important to keep the following statistics in mind: dengue and yellow fever sicken hundreds of millions of people every year, and kill tens of thousands, and that includes babies. Unless zika evolves into a superbug, it's never going to have the same impact.

From someone who has worked with children and young adults suffering with Microcephaly, if Microcephaly is confirmed to be possible to unborn infants due to Zika then Zika is significantly worse than even Yellow Fever never mind Dengue. Microcephaly is quite possibly the best side effect you could have on a virus if your intention was to long term overwhelm and destroy a populous, it in effect means at least the child's mother is an unproductive member of society for the next 20 years as caring for a child with Microcephaly is usually a 24/7 occupation. Its this reason why many people are getting very scared by Zika as it has the potential to be devastating long term - IF if does cause Microcephaly, which is still not proven.

Yes Zika doesn't kill (reports overnight there may have been some deaths in Brazil with rare neurological conditions caused by the Zika infection, so it might kill but very rarely), but IF it does cause Microcephaly its side effects will cost hundreds times more than even rampant Yellow fever would.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEvRk2tL82U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDCDsKHCE8s

Troutful
May 31, 2011

ukle posted:

From someone who has worked with children and young adults suffering with Microcephaly, if Microcephaly is confirmed to be possible to unborn infants due to Zika then Zika is significantly worse than even Yellow Fever never mind Dengue. Microcephaly is quite possibly the best side effect you could have on a virus if your intention was to long term overwhelm and destroy a populous, it in effect means at least the child's mother is an unproductive member of society for the next 20 years as caring for a child with Microcephaly is usually a 24/7 occupation. Its this reason why many people are getting very scared by Zika as it has the potential to be devastating long term - IF if does cause Microcephaly, which is still not proven.

Yes Zika doesn't kill (reports overnight there may have been some deaths in Brazil with rare neurological conditions caused by the Zika infection, so it might kill but very rarely), but IF it does cause Microcephaly its side effects will cost hundreds times more than even rampant Yellow fever would.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely concerned about this disease's impact on women and their children, and I hope it prompts a reexamination of abortion rights and maternal healthcare policies more generally. Telling women not to get pregnant is entirely the wrong way to deal with a condition we can screen for in utero.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Considering sexual transmission is a Zika vector, I'd take issue with the assertion that it's not that dangerous if you aren't pregnant.

We do not know this yet.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

We do not know this yet.

Men are capable of transmitting Zika during sex, while no cases of female transmission have been recorded.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Troutful posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely concerned about this disease's impact on women and their children, and I hope it prompts a reexamination of abortion rights and maternal healthcare policies more generally. Telling women not to get pregnant is entirely the wrong way to deal with a condition we can screen for in utero.

This only helps if the person is willing to abort, no?

My Imaginary GF posted:

Men are capable of transmitting Zika during sex, while no cases of female transmission have been recorded.

Woops, this story moves super fast, sorry.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

This only helps if the person is willing to abort, no?

Woops, this story moves super fast, sorry.

I'd recommend:

http://reliefweb.int/disaster/ep-2016-000007-hti

If you want to stay up on the latest Zika news. Per the last few WHO SitReps, the tl;dr is that there is much about Zika that we have yet to know and more research is required. However, Zika is strongly suspected to cause microcephaly in fetuses and GBS in infected individuals.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

GBS in infected individuals.

Oh gently caress, It's official, SA has officially jumped from the digital to the organic world. Soon everyone suffering from Zika will start shitposting mercilessly.

God help us all. :suicide:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

E-Tank posted:

Oh gently caress, It's official, SA has officially jumped from the digital to the organic world. Soon everyone suffering from Zika will start shitposting mercilessly.

God help us all. :suicide:

I'm afraid... it's too late... for me....cuck

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
My girlfriend and I will be travelling in South America, including Brazil, over the course of the next few months. We have no intention of getting pregnant any time soon, so should we be worried about Zika at all?

The impression that I've got is that it isn't particularly worrying unless you are or are planning to get pregnant, so even if we got it and a couple of years down the road decide to have a child then we would be ok, right?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

How are u posted:

even if we got it and a couple of years down the road decide to have a child then we would be ok, right?

:shrug:

My greatest concern is that microcephaly is an autoimmune consequence of Zika - not a direct relationship.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If it starts spreading in the south it's going to be pretty bad and of course it's going to keep spreading.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

How are u posted:

My girlfriend and I will be travelling in South America, including Brazil, over the course of the next few months. We have no intention of getting pregnant any time soon, so should we be worried about Zika at all?

The impression that I've got is that it isn't particularly worrying unless you are or are planning to get pregnant, so even if we got it and a couple of years down the road decide to have a child then we would be ok, right?

There is insufficient data at this time to know the potential long-term affects of Zika infection.

Hollismason posted:

If it starts spreading in the south it's going to be pretty bad and of course it's going to keep spreading.

At this time, it is a question of when, not if, autochthonous circulation of Zika is reported in the United States. While Zika virus disease is caused by a virus transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes, other transmission modes are still under investigation.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 6, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Zika any different than Ebola or Swine Flu or any of the other diseases that had everybody worried only to have nobody care after a few months

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

DOOP posted:

Is Zika any different than Ebola or Swine Flu or any of the other diseases that had everybody worried only to have nobody care after a few months

Do you really think the danger and toll major epidemics cause is accurately reflected in the media today?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Lid posted:

Expect this type of article to become more common, and that was before zika was found in saliva and urine.

They may write articles but i think nothing will come of it.
The IOC will never put people's general wellbeing over their prime directive: making lots of money. Brazil has spent a ton of money on the olympics and they simply cannot afford to let their investment go to waste.
A change of venue just a few months before the olympics start is impossible so the olympics would be cancelled, not moved. That means a whole generation of athletes will not get to compete in a competition they have been working towards for 4+ years.

Rio 2016 will go ahead as planned.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

NihilismNow posted:

That means a whole generation of athletes will not get to compete in a competition they have been working towards for 4+ years.

So what? If it's just gonna lead to a huge bunch of people getting infected and then going back to their countries and spreading it more, screw it, sorry guys but you'll have to set your shot-put etc. skills to work elsewhere until next time.

Like from everything said, the olympic village alone sounds like an absolute catastrophe waiting to happen considering how it can be spread.

Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.
Frankly, there are bigger ongoing health and public safety concerns right now. I'd be more worried about the drug situation, mass muggings on the beaches and in the city (arrastões) and general crime levels, the fact that most public hospitals are bankrupt / closed / running with absolutely inadequate supplies and personnel and dreadful infrastructure. Hell, I'd rather catch Zika than row in a water that is basically slightly diluted raw sewage.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

How about none of those things, just none of it?

Rio olympics did not sound appealing right out of the gates speaking as someone who has traveled there, Zoka aside.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

In all seriousness, if I wanted to collapse a nation, I'd look at creating expensive, painful burdens the populace would in general try to bear regardless. Stuff of nightmares if research can find a connection and mechanism supporting all this media conjecture.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Yes it should be cancelled. The risk of worldwide spread of the virus is too great.

Does anyone know how well the virus can mutate? Is there a risk it could mutate to become more infectious? Presumably the longer it kicks about in human biology the easier this becomes?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

So what? If it's just gonna lead to a huge bunch of people getting infected and then going back to their countries and spreading it more, screw it, sorry guys but you'll have to set your shot-put etc. skills to work elsewhere until next time.

The main point was really that the 2 parties able to cancel it the government of brazil and the IOC have no interest in doing so.
Maybe it should be cancelled. But it won't be.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

WMain00 posted:

Yes it should be cancelled. The risk of worldwide spread of the virus is too great.

Does anyone know how well the virus can mutate? Is there a risk it could mutate to become more infectious? Presumably the longer it kicks about in human biology the easier this becomes?

I thought I read somewhere that viruses in this family don't tend to mutate quickly, but I can't source that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

NihilismNow posted:

The main point was really that the 2 parties able to cancel it the government of brazil and the IOC have no interest in doing so.
Maybe it should be cancelled. But it won't be.

If enough countries decided to boycott, that could still force their hand or leave them with a shitshow.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Sinteres posted:

If enough countries decided to boycott, that could still force their hand or leave them with a shitshow.

So just the aquatic events?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WMain00 posted:

Unfortunately, Chan cares more about the interests of Chinese economic policy than she does authorizing a recommendation for a travel ban on pregnant women traveling to areas with autochthonous transmission of Zika viral disease.

You would have thought that the world would have learnt that public health is too important to trust in the hands of a communist political appointee. Unfortunately, this is not so.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sinteres posted:

Unfortunately, that's a Prisoner's Dilemma since if one big country pulls out (say the US or Russia or whatever), that creates a huge incentive for other nations to stay in since that increases their chances of scooping up medals. The games will not be cancelled, and no one but a very few, small countries will pull out.

The Carnival... is on.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I shall consume...consume everything...

Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.
I wouldn't say things are running exactly smooth here, but either the authorities are handling the current carnaval well (which is a good way to stress test security and health services) or are putting a hell of a kibosh on huge problems. From the look of it, there's no major problems, apart from the usual rapes and drunken beatings to death.

Besides, even thought I'd rather see the billions already spent on education, job creation and health instead of a giant corrupt, corporate jingoistic orgy, the deed's basically done so.. I guess it'll be just like the World Cup: a huge cash influx for the ultra rich and hotel chains, good ol' crippling debt burden for the rest, no big deal? And there probably won't be much opposition to it since it's pretty local compared to the Cup and the gubmint did its homework since the the 2013 protests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Unfortunately, that's a Prisoner's Dilemma since if one big country pulls out (say the US or Russia or whatever), that creates a huge incentive for other nations to stay in since that increases their chances of scooping up medals. The games will not be cancelled, and no one but a very few, small countries will pull out.

The Carnival... is on.

On the other hand, countries that could host the olympic games on short notice have a huge incentive to threaten to boycott, since that would mean landing the olympic games with relatively little investment.

And not to downplay the zika epidemic, but a lot of the fear for the olympics is overblown. The key areas of infection are in northeast Brazil. Latest numbers I saw were that there were two confirmed and 196 possible cases of Zika related microcephaly in the entire state of Rio, a state with 17 million people. You'd still be far more likely to catch a stray bullet than have a baby with microcephaly there.

• Locked thread