Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but it seems like it could be relevant:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/microcephaly-brazil-zika-reality-1.3442580

Basically, there were a lot of microcephaly cases occurring in Brazil as far back as 2012 that weren't being recorded, or were just "borderline."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PT6A posted:

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but it seems like it could be relevant:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/microcephaly-brazil-zika-reality-1.3442580

Basically, there were a lot of microcephaly cases occurring in Brazil as far back as 2012 that weren't being recorded, or were just "borderline."

It just rolled around on my tumblr homepage so I was coming in to ask the same question. This one says 2014 though.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/133548/20160214/monsanto-larvicide-not-zika-virus-true-cause-of-brazils-microcephaly-outbreak-doctors.htm

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
In September I'm going to a wedding in Forte Leza (north-eastern Brazil) for a week. Prior to that I'm travelling around Peru, Argentina and Rio for 18 days, so hearing now that Zika could stay in your system for up to 10 weeks is a bit disturbing... :ohdear:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fanatic posted:

In September I'm going to a wedding in Forte Leza (north-eastern Brazil) for a week. Prior to that I'm travelling around Peru, Argentina and Rio for 18 days, so hearing now that Zika could stay in your system for up to 10 weeks is a bit disturbing... :ohdear:

It's spelled Fortaleza, dumbass. Also just keep to Meireles and Aldeota area since there's like no loving skeeters ever around here if you are that scared.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fanatic posted:

don't have sex

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fanatic posted:

If you are an American citizen, State recommends against such travel. Isn't it better to listen to State, than it is to endanger other American's lives with your recklessness?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

RareAcumen posted:

It just rolled around on my tumblr homepage so I was coming in to ask the same question. This one says 2014 though.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/133548/20160214/monsanto-larvicide-not-zika-virus-true-cause-of-brazils-microcephaly-outbreak-doctors.htm

I keep seeing this article on my facebook feed. The pdf in the article lists no study linking Pyriproxyfen to microcephaly (it calls the company part of the chemical poisons industry). It's bullshit.

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 18, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DOOP posted:

don't have sex

This is SomethingAwful we're talking about. We're the most immune to the Zika virus out of anyone out there.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's spelled Fortaleza, dumbass. Also just keep to Meireles and Aldeota area since there's like no loving skeeters ever around here if you are that scared.
But Forte Leza sounds cooler. Who knows, maybe it translates to a fort protected by lasers in Brazilian Spanish.

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you are an American citizen, State recommends against such travel. Isn't it better to listen to State, than it is to endanger other American's lives with your recklessness?
Well you can keep your gun holstered. I'm Australian and also a dumbass apparently so I feel better knowing that my children will naturally be persons of reduced intellect regardless of Zika. ;)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Fanatic posted:

But Forte Leza sounds cooler. Who knows, maybe it translates to a fort protected by lasers in Brazilian Spanish.

I'm Australian

Portuguese, dumbass.
Don't come back

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Pope released a statement earlier today endorsing the use of contraception in fighting the outbreak of Zika.

WSJ posted:

The pope spoke during an overnight flight Wednesday back to Rome following an intense, six-day trip to Cuba and Mexico that saw him hold a historic meeting with the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, blast corruption and exploitation of the poor and defend the plight of immigrants.

The pope’s comments on the use of contraception in Zika-afflicted areas comes amid proposals that women in regions hit by the virus—largely in Latin America—use abortion or avoid getting pregnant to prevent the birth of children with microcephaly.

Bishops in Latin America have said the Zika virus doesn’t justify the use of abortion or contraception.

However, responding to a question, the pope distinguished between abortion, which he said was never acceptable, and contraception, which he said could be justified as the lesser evil in certain circumstances.

He recalled that Pope Paul VI, author the 1968 encyclical “Humanae Vitae” which affirmed the immorality of contraception, permitted its use by nuns in danger of being raped.

Pope Francis said the spread of Zika was another exceptional circumstance that could justify the use of artificial birth control.

Hopefully, this will help reduce the outbreak's spread in Catholic countries.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Man, Plague Inc got loving intense. And he got the Olympic Games modifier! Lucky bastard. :v:

Realtalk, how many plagues have been just big scary things that ultimately petered out into nothing? I remember Bird Flu, and West Nile Virus, which ultimately ended up just. . .being nothing at all.

Yeah it's scary. And I'm sad that people have it, but I don't really think it'll end up being that big a deal. Or am I mistaken? Is this somehow different?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's scary because it's new and looks like it can cause birth defects, but there are many other pre-existing mosquito-borne illnesses that have a much larger impact (dengue, malaria, etc etc.) Getting rid of mosquitos entirely would be a pretty good goal IMO, especially as species that thrive in cities begin to become more widespread.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Edit: ^ yeah I think Zika is particularly scary just for the prospect of oh yeah your kid is going to be born defective and require special attention the rest of your life. That's just a special kind of frightening.

QuoProQuid posted:

The Pope released a statement earlier today endorsing the use of contraception in fighting the outbreak of Zika.

Hopefully, this will help reduce the outbreak's spread in Catholic countries.

I guess that's pretty progressive. I'd have expected the Catholic position to simply be not to have sex if it's dangerous.

Either way, my fiance's doctor recommended she not get pregnant before our honeymoon in Costa Rica. I guess knowing now it stays in your system for 10 weeks just gives me an extra two and a half months of being a manchild.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mozi posted:

It's scary because it's new and looks like it can cause birth defects, but there are many other pre-existing mosquito-borne illnesses that have a much larger impact (dengue, malaria, etc etc.) Getting rid of mosquitos entirely would be a pretty good goal IMO, especially as species that thrive in cities begin to become more widespread.

I do not care about the ecosystem impact, destroy all mosquitoes everywhere forever.

Invest in bird feeders if you must. :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I do not care about the ecosystem impact, destroy all mosquitoes everywhere forever.

Invest in bird feeders if you must. :colbert:

Didn't someone post a study showing that mosquitoes serve no important function in the ecosystem?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

PT6A posted:

Didn't someone post a study showing that mosquitoes serve no important function in the ecosystem?

I'd disagree on that entirely. Mosquitoes serve basically as a source of protein for a lot of animals that wouldn't otherwise be getting it. By eating the annoying little bastards, frogs/bats/Whatever get a boost of protein from the blood they've ingested. Instead of trying to destroy the bugs, we should be looking on how we can modify them to not be quite as annoying. Mosquitoes can already spread viruses and parasites, why not develop something they can spread that's beneficial? Vaccines or something. Or see if they can't modify their spit to be painless and also not itchy. I'd be fine with getting bit as long as there wasn't that loving itch/if it gave me a booster for vaccines and poo poo.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I'm not too worried about it or will let it affect my travel plans. Just need to apply insect repellent every day but would probably do that anyway in most of the areas I'm going.

Edit:

Lizard Combatant posted:

Portuguese, dumbass.
Don't come back
But I'm really looking forward to visiting the capital city, Rio Didgeridoo and doing the traditional running of the bulls there.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 19, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mozi posted:

We already have spent a century trying to get rid of the Aedes but they are way too loving resilient to do so. From genetic engineering to spraying everything and trying to get rid of hatching places, nothing works.

Fanatic posted:

This is terrorism.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

More research is required before accurate policy recommendations can be suggested.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How the hell did a place that is literally a poo poo hole get picked for the Olympics anyways?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

-Troika- posted:

How the hell did a place that is literally a poo poo hole get picked for the Olympics anyways?

The same way a beach resort in Russia got picked to host the winter olympics?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

-Troika- posted:

Bribery and corruption, same as everything else that happens in the Olympics.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

duz posted:

The same way a beach resort in Russia got picked to host the winter olympics?

Or the same way Qatar in the summer is picked to host the World Cup.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Bribery and corruption, same as everything else that happens in the Olympics.
To be competed by athletes, the majority of whom are doped up on god knows what.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

My Imaginary GF posted:

More research is required before accurate policy recommendations can be suggested.

I'm from Buenos Aires Rio de Janeiro and I say kill 'em all!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Even as athletes grow increasingly concerned about the outbreak of the Zika virus in Brazil, the organizing committee for the August Olympics in Rio de Janeiro said it will charge national delegations to have mosquito screens on athletes’ rooms.

The screens, one measure Brazilians are using to help ward off the mosquito that is the primary transmitter of Zika, will be installed in communal areas “where required” but only affixed to lodging if national delegations decide to pay for it, said Philip Wilkinson, a spokesman for the Rio 2016 organizing committee.

This is certain not to backfire.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
well they have to make money somehow

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Olympic games in the 21st century are turning into quite the amazing shitshow.

Cardboard walls in Russia, shitrivers in Rio. All the 90s games had to offer were Tonya Harding and a pipe-bomb in Mormonville.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
The pipe bomb was in Atlanta I thought?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Spacewolf posted:

The pipe bomb was in Atlanta I thought?

Yeah, Atlanta was the Richard Jewel mess, SLC was the one were they brought in Mitt Romney to use his government connections to bailout the USA Olympic committee.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Olympic games in the 21st century are turning into quite the amazing shitshow.

Cardboard walls in Russia, shitrivers in Rio. All the 90s games had to offer were Tonya Harding and a pipe-bomb in Mormonville.

tokyo 2020's going to be a goldmine, just you wait

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

tokyo 2020's going to be a goldmine, just you wait

Taking bets on giant organ fetus now.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

-Troika- posted:

Contrary to the other responses, I think that Rio really did win legitimately. Well, as legitimately as you can get in Olympic bidding these days anyway. It was awarded back when Brazil seemed to be doing really well and China's was a big success. The fact that there hadn't previously been any games in South America was a big factor as well. The Olympics also likes to rotate in and out of Europe so London 2012 in essence knocked out most of the best choices. Why it hasn't been relocated? Obstinance. Doing so would be a big insult to Brazil, make the IOC look bad, etc. It would take real courage and leadership to do and the Olympics doesn't have much of either.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

Contrary to the other responses, I think that Rio really did win legitimately. Well, as legitimately as you can get in Olympic bidding these days anyway. It was awarded back when Brazil seemed to be doing really well and China's was a big success. The fact that there hadn't previously been any games in South America was a big factor as well. The Olympics also likes to rotate in and out of Europe so London 2012 in essence knocked out most of the best choices. Why it hasn't been relocated? Obstinance. Doing so would be a big insult to Brazil, make the IOC look bad, etc. It would take real courage and leadership to do and the Olympics doesn't have much of either.

Also the whole boatload of bribes which more reputable venues like Chicago refused to pay.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Puerto Rico's economic problems are likely to lead to a bigger outbreak

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/03/20/health/zika-virus-puerto-rico.html?_r=1

Puerto Rico Braces for Its Own Zika Epidemic
Intensive efforts to stop the virus have begun on the island, where a quarter of the population will get it within a year, the C.D.C. predicts.

The economy is in shambles, and thousands of civic workers needed to fight mosquitoes have been laid off. The chemical most often used against the adult pests no longer works, and the one needed to control their larvae has been pulled from the market by regulators.

A quarter of the island’s 3.5 million people will probably get the Zika virus within a year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and eventually 80 percent or more may be infected.

“I’m very concerned,” Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, the C.D.C. director, said in an interview after a recent three-day visit to Puerto Rico. “There could be thousands of infections of pregnant women this year.”

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

E-Tank posted:

I'd disagree on that entirely. Mosquitoes serve basically as a source of protein for a lot of animals that wouldn't otherwise be getting it. By eating the annoying little bastards, frogs/bats/Whatever get a boost of protein from the blood they've ingested. Instead of trying to destroy the bugs, we should be looking on how we can modify them to not be quite as annoying. Mosquitoes can already spread viruses and parasites, why not develop something they can spread that's beneficial? Vaccines or something. Or see if they can't modify their spit to be painless and also not itchy. I'd be fine with getting bit as long as there wasn't that loving itch/if it gave me a booster for vaccines and poo poo.

This is from a month ago but the general consensus seems to be that if we just focused on the sub-species that caused problems (only a couple actually cause problems) there wouldn't be any real concern and we should probably consider it as an option if it is feasible.

Having them fly around with vaccines sounds like a fantastically terrible idea.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Got back from my Costa Rica honeymoon and don't think I got bit by anything, so hopefully I'm zika-free. Just saw this article on CNN: http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/03/news/world/olympics-rio-ticket-sales/index.html

Zika virus or no Brazil has got some major problems if they're gonna sell many more tickets in the next few months. What exactly would the financial impact be of only selling half the tickets? Do they pretty much lose money hosting the games whether people attend or not, or is there enough money tied up in other aspects that people actually showing up may not be a disaster, just look really bad on tv? I'm wondering if this far out, knowing attendance will be low, if they can scale any infrastructure construction back enough to compensate and not lose quite as much money as otherwise?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

davebo posted:

Got back from my Costa Rica honeymoon and don't think I got bit by anything, so hopefully I'm zika-free. Just saw this article on CNN: http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/03/news/world/olympics-rio-ticket-sales/index.html

Zika virus or no Brazil has got some major problems if they're gonna sell many more tickets in the next few months. What exactly would the financial impact be of only selling half the tickets? Do they pretty much lose money hosting the games whether people attend or not, or is there enough money tied up in other aspects that people actually showing up may not be a disaster, just look really bad on tv? I'm wondering if this far out, knowing attendance will be low, if they can scale any infrastructure construction back enough to compensate and not lose quite as much money as otherwise?

Weird. I know someone who lives in Rio and I was considering visiting for the Olympics but when I looked up tickets here https://www.cosport.com/olympics/tickets.aspx most were sold out and the cheapest tickets were like $80 for a single 4 hour game. I could barely afford to get there and all the events I wanted to check out were too expensive or unavailable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

clockworkjoe posted:

Weird. I know someone who lives in Rio and I was considering visiting for the Olympics but when I looked up tickets here https://www.cosport.com/olympics/tickets.aspx most were sold out and the cheapest tickets were like $80 for a single 4 hour game. I could barely afford to get there and all the events I wanted to check out were too expensive or unavailable.

Yeah I have no clue how Olympic tickets are sold. Like they must allocate a certain amount for sale within the host country right? And you would think they'd have the ability to charge different amounts to citizens vs foreigners so some of the less well-off locals could attend home team games? Outside of that, and given how corrupt the entire process is, are they just at liberty to price-gouge specific sales based on the location of the buyer? Could there be some side-market where people in Ethiopia buy tickets for Americans for a fee or given the security do these events require ID/passports that match the tickets to get in the venue?

• Locked thread