Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i forgot about their eyes were watching god gently caress i hated that book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

girth brooks part 2 posted:

The other was about some spoiled gently caress up that decided he was going to become a hermit in Alaska. The dude didn't bother to do even the most basic research on how to survive so inevitably ended up killing himself by eating potato seeds. Teacher thought we would find inspirational or something and was kind of crushed when it came time to discuss it and the entire class just started laughing at what a fucktard guy was.

Into the wild. My ex-girlfriend wanted to do something like that and I wanted to explain why it was stupid without offending her.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 31, 2016

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

girth brooks part 2 posted:

The other was about some spoiled gently caress up that decided he was going to become a hermit in Alaska. The dude didn't bother to do even the most basic research on how to survive so inevitably ended up killing himself by eating potato seeds. Teacher thought we would find inspirational or something and was kind of crushed when it came time to discuss it and the entire class just started laughing at what a fucktard guy was.

into the wild, the movie made me cry like a little bitch

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Gaunab posted:

Into the wild. My ex-girlfriend wanted to do something like that and I wanted explain why it was stupid without offending her.

lol

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Gaunab posted:

Into the wild. My ex-girlfriend wanted to do something like that and I wanted explain why it was stupid without offending her.

i had a rich roommate from marin county who was obsessed with that book and wanted to do something like that in big sur. he ended up staying in a motel for like 2 or 3 days and coming home but it was all good cuz he got a TON of writing done

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
I had to do a project on Portrait of a Lady, and let me tell you that was some loving dry, boring rear end Victorian poo poo.

My proposed solution for the protagonist was she could have just gotten a job instead of relying on marriage.

My mark wasn't spectacular.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
loving Shakespeare. Dumb teacher had us read it out loud. Took loving forever.

Counterpoint: hatchet was the tits

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

Gaunab posted:

a good companion to that book/story is the thread with the goon trying to hike across america with no preparation and a bunch of lovely gear he got from costco or something

Sandusky Kenshin
Jan 24, 2016

Leroy Dennui posted:

A Separate Peace

I can't really think of anything else that came anywhere near that novel in badness from then. Worst literature I've read for college so far has been Stephen Crane's "The Blue Hotel" and a selection of his poems, and that's likely not going to change considering my Bachelor's is a couple of months away.

I came here to post this, a kid in my class suggested that the kids were gay (which they totally were) and our teacher started freaking out and shouting at him.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Death of a Salesman by far

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
High school English classes managed to kill my interest in pretty much every book they covered, partly by dissecting them like frogs, and partly by insisting that each one was a life-changing experience. If it hadn't changed your life, you were wrong. Enjoy your F.

Sorry, man, but the only thing Moby Dick taught me was that I was too damned immature to get over the fact that the whale was named Moby Dick. Life changed. Boom.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

grading essays nude posted:

a good companion to that book/story is the thread with the goon trying to hike across america with no preparation and a bunch of lovely gear he got from costco or something

anyone got a link to this?

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
this wasn't highschool but like... 6th grade? There was a lovely book about some dumb kid who inadvertently killed his girlfriend because they both sucked at swimming and they went swimming in a really dangerous river and he lied and everyone thought he was a hero until the truth came out and everything was terrible, the end. I think it was called Blackwater or something? I loving hated it.

also I genuinely enjoy The Great Gatsby, it's an interesting book about how being obsessed and quixotic may lead to bad things set amongst the backdrop of a fascinating period in history. Gatsby was still the good guy in the scheme of things, gently caress Buchanan

nulldev1ce
Aug 16, 2002
Shiny Globule
Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Was supposed to read it over the summer and show up to school day 1 with a "character summary" and I couldn't make it through the first ten pages. The first and only time that I used the AOL "Teacher Pager" service to summon a random stranger teacher (volunteer-based service for teenagers to get help with school) 3 or 4 teachers responded with actual "have you considered this, perhaps think about that" suggestions which helped me enough to fake my way through the assignment instead of plan A which was to kill myself with the nearest sharp object.

I love(d) reading and middle/high school English courses came close to achieving their apparent goal of making children hate books. wtf.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Wow some of you have really terrible taste in books

Worst poo poo I had to read was The Hobbit, by far

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I enjoy the Great Gatsby because it's about how no matter how much you care about someone, they'll still gently caress you over to save their own skin and be rich

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

the culminator posted:

Thats not the scarlett letter

gently caress :lol:

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
The Lovely loving Bones

EndlessRob
Oct 16, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't remember what it was called, but it was like the alternative to the scarlet letter than my class "got" to read. It was about this pampered middle class woman in the mid 1800s and the point of the story was that despite the fact that literally every person in her life hovers around her and does everything they can to make her life as easy as possible, it's all so terrible because she's a woman you see. She cheats on her husband, neglects and abandons her kids, and eventually commits suicide in front of all of them because of sexual inequality.

I'm glad someone else hated The Awakening by Kate Chopin as much as I did.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

Doctor Dogballs posted:

anyone got a link to this?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480

the thread title spoils the final punchline but the whole thing is hilarious

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't remember what it was called, but it was like the alternative to the scarlet letter than my class "got" to read. It was about this pampered middle class woman in the mid 1800s and the point of the story was that despite the fact that literally every person in her life hovers around her and does everything they can to make her life as easy as possible, it's all so terrible because she's a woman you see. She cheats on her husband, neglects and abandons her kids, and eventually commits suicide in front of all of them because of sexual inequality.

Madame Bovary? What most people neglect to realise about that book is that it's quite satirical. Emma is supposed to be a ridiculous character.

I'll nominate Beowulf. Why the poo poo did I have to read that?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
wasn't this like a 700 page thread in the book barn? gently caress YOU MRS. CAMBPELL HEART OF DARKNESS IS FOR FAGS

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
....aaaand this thread isn't doing much to distinguish itself from that thread. oh goons

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

nulldev1ce posted:

I love(d) reading and middle/high school English courses came close to achieving their apparent goal of making children hate books. wtf.

I ended up hating even the good books they assigned us because we couldn't just read it for pleasure, we had to take notes on every pedantic detail in case it was on the quiz afterwards. It was especially bad in junior high because they would ask questions about crap that had nothing to do with overall story or themes. "What color shirt was the main character wearing at the beginning of chapter 5?" Why the hell would I remember that when it has nothing to do with the story at all?

All it did was make me hate reading for fun for years afterwards.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 31, 2016

Princess RALPH!!
Apr 28, 2009
The Great Gatsby was loving godawful. "And bob was there and he was rich, we'll never mention him again, and lord fuckawit was there and he sold cars and we'll never mention him again".....5 pages later..."Joe was there and he was also rich and we'll never mention him again". At least that's what I remember of it from 17 years ago.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I reread the great gatsby later on and wound up enjoying it, I figure a lot of books I read in school are enjoyable if you read them for fun.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
heh gently caress all these "classics," who even knows if they're any good anyway?

me? i'm more of a hunter s. thompson man myself. yeah, i'm a bit of a maverick, you might say.

Princess RALPH!!
Apr 28, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I reread the great gatsby later on and wound up enjoying it, I figure a lot of books I read in school are enjoyable if you read them for fun.

This may be true, but I don't think I could bring myself to pick it up again to try.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm mad that dumbfuck parentss got offended and removed Slaughterhouse Five from the reading list when I was in high school and put The Grapes of Wrath in its stead because there were poorly drawn boobs in it.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm mad that dumbfuck parentss got offended and removed Slaughterhouse Five from the reading list when I was in high school and put The Grapes of Wrath in its stead because there were poorly drawn boobs in it.

mayhaps i may show you the avclub article listing all the things kurt r. r. vonnegut said better than anyone ever??

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Horniest Manticore posted:

mayhaps i may show you the avclub article listing all the things kurt r. r. vonnegut said better than anyone ever??

Please do

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

logical phalluses posted:

first of all there's nothing boring about it. it's totally gripping and makes you want to read more and is fantastic creating a sense of anxiety and ambiguity. it's great building to the point that you no longer believe or trust any of the characters. you could write whole books (and people have) about the question of whether or not the nanny chick is losing her mind or seeing ghosts or dealing with some other brand of evil and or psychiatric problems on her part or that of the children.
this would all be fine if it wasn't so loving boring. that in turn meant it wasn't gripping, it didn't give me a sense of anxiety, and the ambiguity was there but it was the one-dimensional question "is she insane or is there ghosts"? that's it. maybe if Henry James had taken the stick out of his rear end and wrote in some poltergeist poo poo like slamming doors or breaking furniture, that would have been a good book. but no, the ghosts are just kind of there. boring as poo poo.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Death of a Salesman by far
really? i loving loved Death of a Salesman. understandable themes, a great story, and i loved the dialog most of the time.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

netally posted:

Madame Bovary? What most people neglect to realise about that book is that it's quite satirical. Emma is supposed to be a ridiculous character.

I'll nominate Beowulf. Why the poo poo did I have to read that?

Yes, that's it! You should explain that to my loving english teacher than, because she couldn't stop telling us about how it was about sexuality inequality and how she was doomed to a life of unhappiness because of the era she lived in. I remember nobody it the class would go along with her and just insisted she was dumb/crazy, at and the end I finally gave in and wrote a short essay regurgitating all the poo poo my teacher had been spewing for an easy A. She was so proud that someone 'got it' that she made me read it to the class. :(

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The Scarlet Letter is good.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
It wasn't assigned to me, but The Sea-Wolf bored me to death. My least favorite film is also The Perfect Storm, so I think there are some parallels there.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012

Horniest Manticore posted:

heh gently caress all these "classics," who even knows if they're any good anyway?

me? i'm more of a hunter s. thompson man myself. yeah, i'm a bit of a maverick, you might say.

Ima come clean bro this thread was a trap all along so your serious literature thread kind could come thru

"Lol goons are manchildren for not reading serious lit"

*one of maybe 5 people in the entire world that gives a gently caress about serious literature anymore*

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Andromeda strain. I got the hardback from the library and I was deathly allergic to it. Eyes started watering and swelling shut and I'd just start sneezing and wheezing and poo poo after just a few pages. Had to take it back and buy the lovely paperback.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Lord of the flies.

I don't want to read some hosed up war veteran's novel about his views on children having their sexual awakenings with a pig.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Ayn Rand's Anthem
yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

the culminator posted:

Ima come clean bro this thread was a trap all along so your serious literature thread kind could come thru

"Lol goons are manchildren for not reading serious lit"

*one of maybe 5 people in the entire world that gives a gently caress about serious literature anymore*

i like serious literature just fine, but i dislike gooniness way more

e: and anyway, thinking the great gatsby isn't crap doesn't exactly make me harold bloom

• Locked thread