Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

"Sometimes you have to do things you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
Battlestar Galactica II: Bastille Day is an open-setup game for 16 players.

Rules:
  • Standard Mafia Rules are in effect for this game.
  • Flavor exists and matters. Tread with care. The Versatile Backup (aka VT) role PM is available to everyone. Flavor exists, but is part of the open setup. All Role PMs are available to everyone.
  • DON'T LURK! Days will be ~24-36 hours (or more, depending on weekends) and Nights will be ~12-24 hours.
  • Anti-Lurking Rule: If you don't make at least 10 posts in a game day, you will be HATED the next game day and require one less vote to lynch.
  • Anti-Lurking Rule, Part 2: If you are already HATED and do not make at least 10 posts the following game day, you will be MODKILLED.
  • Anti-Lurking Rule, Part 3: The above rules will be disregarded if hammer happens more than 2 hours before deadline, and will only be in effect for the first 2-3 game days.

Setup: The Nailbiter
(all credit to Lumpen)
  • Unstoppable Serial Killer (cannot be blocked or jailed, and can kill a jailed or doc-protected target)
  • Town Cop (sane, TOWN or NOT TOWN results)
  • Town Doctor (can't self-protect, can't protect the same target on consecutive nights)
  • Town Tracker (can't track the same person on consecutive nights)
  • Town Jailer (can't self-jail, can't jail the same person on consecutive nights)
  • Town Bulletproof Miller (1-shot, notified when expended, does not protect from Poison, investigates as NOT TOWN)
  • 6 Town Versatile Backup (when a Town Doc, Cop, Tracker, or Jailer dies in the night, a random living Backup inherits the role. Lynched roles are lost forever. Each Role can only be inherited once.)
  • Scum Bulletproof Godfather (if making the Scum kill, loses BOTH powers for that night)
  • Scum Roleblocker (makes a targeted power fail, can either kill or roleblock, not both)
  • Scum Ninja (can't be tracked)
  • Scum Poisoner (if making the Scum kill, the target will die after a 1-Day delay. Bypasses Doc Protection on targeting night, but can be stopped by Doc protection on the death night. A poisoned victim can also die in Jail.)

No role can self-target or target the same person on consecutive nights, unless an attempt fails.
Scum have a single nightkill.
All kills and skills may be withheld.
Results are given as "your action succeeded" or "your action failed" for most actions. The Tracker gets "<player> appeared to visit <player>", and the Cop gets "<player> appears to be TOWN/NOT TOWN."

Versatile Backup Role PM:

quote:

The Cylons were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many copies. And they have a plan.

You are A Nameless Prisoner, one of many aboard the Astral Queen and en route for parole hearings when the Cylons attacked. Since then, you've just been trying to get by however you can.
There are rumors that soldiers from Galactica have infiltrated your ship to try and silence your leaders and press-gang everyone aboard into service - they must be stopped! You refuse to be a slave!

You are a Versatile Backup, and when a Town Doc, Cop, Tracker, or Jailer dies in the night, a random living Versatile Backup will inherit the role.
Each role can only be inherited once, and lynched roles are lost forever.

You win when there are no threats remaining aboard the Astral Queen.

All Role PMs:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ezPh7Os5dKuLXXzsokO4M9fHSgR4m8WEiC-wrBQSPns/edit?usp=sharing

Source Episode:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz8o7o_s1e3-bsg-bastille-day_lifestyle

Player List:
  1. 100YrsofAttitude
  2. AnonymousNarcotics
  3. Asiina
  4. Captain Foo
  5. Flying Leatherman
  6. Friction.123
  7. GulagDolls
  8. imgay
  9. JakeP
  10. Kashuno
  11. King Burgundy
  12. Lumpen
  13. Metos
  14. TheCog
  15. Tommunist
  16. Trasson

Podima fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:eyepop:

Tentatively holding a spot for 100Yrs as well.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Not counting presigns/held spots, that leaves only 3 spots left!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

imgay posted:

I would like to

Serious post: Only if you don't lurk.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

OK!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Dang that's 3 BSG board game players I've dragged into a Mafia game. Be nice to them, folks!

BSG Edit: ONE SLOT LEFT!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

TheCog posted:

Can i still get in on this?

:siren: YOU ARE #16!!!! :siren:

But unfortunately I'm still waiting for two presigns to confirm :eng99:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

I did already!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:siren: OK YOU KNOW WHAT I am going to operate under the assumption that the two presigns are dependable and cool people who are going to play because that's what they are, so PMs will be going out shortly! :siren:

I'll reopen the thread once all PMs are out. Good luck!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Metos posted:

Yeah I've read some of the Auspol ones since I'm Aus and the gimmicks sound way more interesting than in-person werewolf can be, like Bifauxnen's Jojo's one or Anidav's haunted house one, so I figured this'd be a good one to jump in and get a handle on it since I know my BSG.

The latest Jojo game was fun as gently caress to read, not all games are quite that insane though!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:siren: Important Change! :siren:
After thinking on it, I've decided to roll flavor into the open setup so as to preserve the game balance/intrigue without adding that extra complicating factor. All role PMs are now available in the OP. Thank you all for your flexibility.

Carry on!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

pre:
User                	Posts
Tommunist           	55
Asiina             	39
Friction.123          	22
imgay             	22
JakeP            	21
Kashuno                	20
GulagDolls            	18
TheCog          	17
King Burgundy     	16
Metos           	13
AnonymousNarcotics 	12
-------LINE OF HATE-------
Trasson                	10
Captain Foo          	8
100YrsofAttitude 	8
Lumpen                 	7
Flying Leatherman 	4

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Please note that the hammer came down with JakeP's vote on GulagDolls and that Trasson's vote on GulagDolls happened after hammer and does not count.

With the Astral Queen locked down and a full scale witch hunt in process, everyone was on edge - until finally, the tension snapped.

:rip: GulagDolls, TOWN COP, has been lynched on Day 1! :rip:

quote:

The Cylons were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many copies. And they have a plan.

You are Meier, one of the higher-up prisoners in the Astral Queen's pecking order. You have a knack for reading people, a skill that will serve you well.
There are rumors that soldiers from Galactica have infiltrated your ship to try and silence your leaders and press-gang everyone aboard into service - they must be stopped! You refuse to be a slave!

You are a Cop, and may ##investigate one person each night. You will receive TOWN or NOT TOWN results. You are guaranteed to be sane. You may not target the same person on consecutive nights unless your action fails.

It is now Night 1. Please send me your Night Actions promptly. The thread will likely reopen tomorrow morning EST.

pre:
User			Posts
Tommunist 		56
Asiina 			45
King Burgundy 		35
imgay 			35
TheCog 			34
Friction.123 		33
Captain Foo 		30
Lumpen 			30
Kashuno 		29
JakeP 			25
100YrsofAttitude 	23
GulagDolls 		23
Metos 			21
Trasson 		20
Flying Leatherman 	16
AnonymousNarcotics 	13
Nobody will be HATED tomorrow! :bravo:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

After a restless night spent jumping at every shadow, you all awaken to face a new day - no closer to rooting out the infiltrators aboard the Astral Queen. Unfortunately, one of the guards doesn't report to morning muster...

:rip: AnonymousNarcotics, TOWN DOCTOR, has died on Night 1! :rip:

quote:

You are Starke, a 'guard' and one of the higher-up people in the Astral Queen's pecking order. You're the guy people call over when a scuffle goes sour.

You are a Doctor, and may ##protect one person each night. You may not target yourself, and you may not target the same person on consecutive nights unless your action fails. Your protection will save a poisoned victim if you target them on the night they would die, but will not save them if you target them the night they are poisoned.

The Doctor role has been inherited by a random Versatile Backup.

It is now Day 2. Deadline is 8:30 PM EST Wednesday. The Anti-Lurking Rule is still in effect.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Puntification replaces Asiina!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

GulagDolls replaces Tommunist!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Votefinder's replacing functionality doesn't work if the player is already in the game, so I just swapped Tommunist and GulagDolls out and that seems to have worked ok. PM me if you see any issues.

Back to it!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

STOP POSTING AFTER HAMMER.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

After a second day of the Astral Queen's lockdown, tensions are rising while accusations fly every which way. They eventually converge upon one person...

:rip: Friction.123, TOWN VERSATILE BACKUP, has been lynched on Day 2! :rip:

quote:

You are A Nameless Prisoner, one of many aboard the Astral Queen and en route for parole hearings when the Cylons attacked. Since then, you've just been trying to get by however you can.

You are a Versatile Backup, and when a Town Doc, Cop, Tracker, or Jailer dies in the night, a random living Versatile Backup will inherit the role.

It is now Night 2. Please send me your actions promptly. Thread will likely open tomorrow morning EST.

Two important game announcements:
- The Anti-Lurking Rule is no longer in effect because you're all great.
- TheCog is still in the game.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Opening the thread early as I have a very busy morning tomorrow.

Another morning dawns, and one of the newer prisoners is found dead in their cell...

:rip: Puntification, TOWN VERSATILE BACKUP, has died on Night 2! :rip:

quote:

...but he's not the only one, as one of the most notorious prisoners' absence quickly becomes apparent when their imposing presence is missing with the new day!

:rip: Kashuno, TOWN BULLETPROOF MILLER, has died on Night 2! :rip:

quote:

You are Tom Zarek, one of the most notorious prisoners aboard the Astral Queen. You stand out from the others, whether you like it or not.

You are a 1-Shot Bulletproof Miller, and will return NOT TOWN for any investigation results. You will survive 1 attempt on your life, and will be notified when your 1-Shot Bulletproof is expended. It does not protect against Poison.

It is now Day 3. Deadline is 8:30 PM EST Friday. I will be traveling and won't be around to enforce this deadline, so play nice and respect the hammer. Flip will probably be posted the next morning by ~12:30 AM or so.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Bulletproof will still stop the SK kill. "Unstoppable" is just a cute name referencing its immunity to roleblocking/jailing/doc protect.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Another day ends with someone else tumbling out the airlock...

:rip: Flying Leatherman, TOWN VERSATILE BACKUP, has been lynched on Day 3! :rip:

It is now Night 3. Please send me your actions promptly. Thread will reopen tomorrow night, likely.

Apologies for the late flip and the lengthened night - I'm out of town this weekend and can only pull out my laptop at nights when I'm back at the hotel. Thanks all for your patience!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

A new day begins, after a long and bloody night. One went quietly...

:rip: TheCog, TOWN JAILER, has died on Night 3! :rip:

quote:

You are Seaborne, a 'guard' and one of the higher-up people in the Astral Queen's pecking order. You're in charge of locking up the Queen's more troublesome inhabitants as needed.

You are a Jailer, and may ##jail one person each night. A jailed person's power will fail, and powers that target a jailed person will fail. You may not target yourself, and you may not target the same person on consecutive nights unless your action fails.

The Jailer role has been inherited by a random Versatile Backup.

...and another is found clutching what looks like a scavenged first aid kit.

:rip: KingBurgundy, TOWN BACKUP DOC, has died on Night 3! :rip:

It is now Day 4. Deadline is 8:30 PM EST Monday.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Again, your forbearance and patience is appreciated. I'm finishing up a weekend of travel tomorrow and should be home by ~4ish, and then will be going out with my wife to watch the Super Bowl for a bit. In case of an early hammer, please be respectful. Thanks!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

I ask that observers and dead people please refrain from posting until the game is over. Thank you!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

The remaining inhabitants of the Astral Queen argued all day, but never managed to agree on a single potential infiltrator to toss out the airlock.

Day 4 has ended in a No Lynch!

It is now Night 4. Night Actions promptly. The thread will likely reopen some time before tomorrow morning EST.

Deadlines will begin to shorten from here on out. Be prepared.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Worn down by the looming inevitability of their fate, the prisoners aboard the Astral Queen sleep fitfully. But with the dawning of the new day comes... an unexpected spark of hope?

:rip: 100YrsOfAttitude, SCUM ROLEBLOCKER, has died on Night 4! :rip:

quote:

You are Anastasia "Dee" Dualla, and you were kindly "volunteered" for this expedition to help with screening the prisoners after they agree to assist - one way or another.
You, along with several others, have infiltrated the Astral Queen for one very simple purpose - Galactica needs labor for mining ice from a nearby moon to replenish their sabotaged stores. The Astral Queen's prisoners would be perfect for the job - but unfortunately, they've been resistant. If you can silence enough of their leaders, the rest of them should agree to your plan...

You are a Roleblocker, and may ##roleblock one person each night to make any targeted actions they perform fail. If the person you target does not have a targeted power, they will not be notified that their action failed. You may not use this ability when performing the Night Kill.
You are part of the Scum Team, sharing a single Night Kill, and may communicate out of thread with your fellow team members.

You win when nothing can stop you from taking control of the Astral Queen.

The first of the invaders has been found at last!

It is now Day 5. Deadline is 8:30 PM EST Wednesday.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Almost as an afterthought, another one of the Galactica's infiltrators gets airlocked!

:rip: GulagDolls, SCUM BULLETPROOF GODFATHER, has been lynched! :rip:

quote:

You are Lee "Apollo" Adama, special advisor to President Roslin - not a role that everyone agrees with. You're technically in charge of the small force from Galactica, nonetheless!
You, along with several others, have infiltrated the Astral Queen for one very simple purpose - Galactica needs labor for mining ice from a nearby moon to replenish their sabotaged stores. The Astral Queen's prisoners would be perfect for the job - but unfortunately, they've been resistant. If you can silence enough of their leaders, the rest of them should agree to your plan...

You are a Bulletproof Godfather, and will return TOWN for any investigation results. Any attempts to kill you in the night will fail. However, you will temporarily lose both of these powers for the night if you perform the Night Kill.
You are part of the Scum Team, sharing a single Night Kill, and may communicate out of thread with your fellow team members here:

You win when nothing can stop you from taking control of the Astral Queen.

It is now Night 5. Please send me your actions promptly. Thread will open at some point tonight, very likely.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

As a new day dawns, one of the prisoners is missing from their bunk - but a Cylon tracker is found concealed under their mattress!

:rip: JakeP, 3P UNSTOPPABLE SERIAL KILLER, was killed on Night 5! :rip:

quote:

You are Number Six, a Cylon infiltrator - with this many people crammed onto this ship, it was child's play to sneak aboard and blend in. As a face in the crowd, you can kill these pathetic humans off one by one!
There are rumors that soldiers from Galactica have infiltrated your ship to try and silence the prisoners' leaders and press-gang them into service - what an excellent distraction.

You are an Unstoppable Serial Killer, and may ##kill one person each night. You cannot be roleblocked or jailed, and can kill a jailed or doc-protected target.

You win when everyone else aboard the Astral Queen is dead.

An uneasy silence reigns as the remaining five of you eye each other. What will this day bring?

It is now Day 6. Deadline is Wednesday 8:30 PM EST.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Asiina replaces Lumpen! All votes are reset!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

With one last whoosh, the final two bodies go tumbling out the airlock!

:rip: Lumpen, SCUM POISONER, has been lynched on Day 6! :rip:

:rip: Metos, SCUM NINJA, has been endgamed on Day 6! :rip:

It's over. You're safe. At least for now...

imgay, TOWN TRACKER,
Trasson, TOWN BACKUP JAILER, and
Captain Foo, TOWN VERSATILE BACKUP have won a...

:woop: TOWN VICTORY! :woop:

Scumdoc, where you can see the horrible realization that I posted a link to the scumdoc with the role PMs on Day 1. :eng99:
Mod Doc, where you can see the game-changing events of Night 2!

Thank you to everyone for playing - I hope you enjoyed the game, even with the replacements! Feedback is, of course, welcome.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

We discussed this briefly at the end of the scumdoc, but I think the two setup changes we identified are:

• Make the Godfather's BP a 1-shot like the Miller's, to avoid the edge case of Godfather vs. SK stalemates and make the SK's life a little easier when they have a very tough game already.
  • Make action resolution order explicit so that it's crystal-clear the SK kill resolves before (and can cancel) the scum kill.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

When I posted the role PMs in the OP, I included copies of the scumteam PMs that had links to the scumdoc. Oops!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Oh BTW big kudos to the new players for trying out Mafia! You should stick around and play more games!

Here are the Mafia Discussion Thread and the New Game Announcements thread.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

JakeP posted:

adn ya what a nailbiter, did not see the town winning at a point

JakeP posted:

After having played this setup twice both have been just great fun epic games.

Yeah this was a really really fun setup and I'd very much like to run it again with no replacements to see how things shake out differently.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Oh poo poo that reminds me :siren: you should all read the scumdoc to see Metos literally risk his life for this game :siren:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Metos posted:

Oh God, just the stuff with the fight with my girlfriend or did I do something really dumb on one of the nights I got really drunk recently and reported it there?

mostly the "HI GUYS IM HIDING IN THE BATHROOM TO TAKE A BREAK FROM FIGHTING WITH MY GIRLFRIEND BEFORE SHE GOES TO SWORD CLASS"

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

And yeah scum massclaiming was one of the more interesting things I've seen in awhile

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Metos posted:

Keep this thread open and next time I'm at her place I'll take a photo for you.

:toxx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Also people who have played BSG with me will understand this: It was really hard to not shitpost in the thread as much as I typically do while moderating!

• Locked thread