Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Reminds me of a couple of my favourite Coldplay appropriate jokes

How many members of Coldplay can you fit into a mini? All 4, it's a 4 seat vehicle so it's really quite straight forward :)

And

The members of Coldplay walk into a bar, the bar is really crowded so they're ushered to a special VIP area, but that's not really their style as they're just quite down to earth ordinary guys :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

hiddenmovement posted:

Naw

As I'm sure I've stated before I always think rule changes are a great way to shake up the established order of things, and the Hawks are a team of old, old men that need to be managed.

I think the rule actually favours the better skilled teams, and will make it harder for lower level teams to grind out wins with a less talented list. Given hawthorn's free agency advantage won't be going away anytime soon I think they will be in the box seat for rolling on for the next few years.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

I would joke about Coldplay except that my favourite band the national sounded a lot like them in their last album so now I am a bit worried

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

I would joke about Coldplay except that my favourite band the national sounded a lot like them in their last album so now I am a bit worried

I like The National but ive given up trying to figure out why. Psyched to see them at Bluesfest though

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Alligator, Boxer and the Virginia EP were amazing, High Violet and Sad songs were great but you can tell they hit a point that was like "let's angle towards what sells" over what they were doing before.

But that's the nature of liking what artists produce at a certain time rather than for their lifetime, ie I haven't bought a Foo Fighters album for close to 10 years but a few of their albums are some of my all time favourites

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 8, 2016

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Arguably the biggest game of football in the world this year, two commentators taking about the game in detail, not ten dickheads with awful "banter".

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

Alligator, Boxer and the Virginia EP were amazing, High Violet and Sad songs were great but you can tell they hit a point that was like "let's angle towards what sells" over what they were doing before.

But that's the nature of liking what artists produce at a certain time rather than for their lifetime, ie I haven't bought a Foo Fighters album for close to 10 years but 3 of their albums are some of my all time favourites

Funnily enough though, my favourite song they've done was actually a later one (Pink Rabbits). I actually quite liked the later stuff in general even if it did alienate a lot of older fans. Alligator and Boxer are definitely my favourites overall though.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Spedman posted:

Arguably the biggest game of football in the world this year, two commentators taking about the game in detail, not ten dickheads with awful "banter".

Are you referring to the AFL? Channel 9 Cricket? Big Bash? So many choices!

Jesus BT, Darce, Richo and Ling commentating this would be insane.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

snaeksikn posted:

Given hawthorn's free agency advantage won't be going away anytime soon I think they will be in the box seat for rolling on for the next few years.

What free agency advantage there's no such thing I'll have you know we've lost more from free agency than we've gained /hawksfan

On the skill level thing, I think the skills we see on display during a live match are very heavily impacted by things like pressure and fatigue. By robbing top teams of the ability to heavily rest their top mids, we may see defensive efforts drop off allowing players that are often flaky front runners (Jack Watts et al) showcase a higher and more consistent standard of skill. It's certainly the case that skilled players will be more important in our brave new world, but I don't think the interaction will be quite as simple as 'better skilled doods will dominate'.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 8, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
OH BOY WOWEE RICHO DID YOU SEE THAT ONE HE SPUN HIM LIKE A SPINNING THING

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Otoh, Hawks will sign Fyfe, Ablett and Cameron in the off season a year from now

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

thepokey posted:

Are you referring to the AFL? Channel 9 Cricket? Big Bash? So many choices!

Jesus BT, Darce, Richo and Ling commentating this would be insane.

It's pretty much every Australian sport that's non ABC/SBS, and what makes it doubly annoying is that footy and cricket are not simple games, and some insightful commentary can be made.

The root of the problem being Australia is an old boys club, and the public accepting that the best insight comes from those who've played the game, which US sport has shown for decades isn't true.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
otoh as a casual cricket fan I find Shane Warne's asides about what he had for breakfast this morning amusingly inane

It's me, I'm the problem

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

If I saw shane Warne in person I wouldn't go as far as heckling him but i would probably make a wanking motion towards him if I caught his eye because I am a loving hero

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hiddenmovement posted:

otoh as a casual cricket fan I find Shane Warne's asides about what he had for breakfast this morning amusingly inane

It's me, I'm the problem

yeah but nothing ever actually happens in cricket so what else are you going to talk about

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

yeah but nothing ever actually happens in cricket so what else are you going to talk about

A frog walking into a bank.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Panthers are loving penalising themselves out of the game

Facing the best rushing defence in the league? Let's continually force ourselves to make 15 yards instead of 10

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

If I saw shane Warne in person I wouldn't go as far as heckling him but i would probably make a wanking motion towards him if I caught his eye because I am a loving hero

I saw him and his family on the train a few years back, he was telling his son off for putting his feet on the seat and then his daughter fell over and he gave her a big hug. It was hard to feel like you wanted to have a go at him when he was being a good Dad.

As for Australian commentary, yeah it's just balls all round on commercial stations. Having someone who has played the game and has a big personality in there isn't always a terrible thing, but when it's basically the entire make up of your entire team it's not good. I'm really enjoying watching the Knicks home games this year because it's got that balance of former player and general nut job Walt Fraiser but then balanced out with Mike Been. Those before the game panels that the Saturday night team does where they literally just sit around for 40mins and make fun of each other is excruciating but average joe seems to love it "oh he really wrecked Lingy there!" But then that carries over into the game itself and ugh.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Jesus Christ. Von Miller is a lock for mvp right?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

My last hope is for Carolina to get a field goal and I can win a jumper on picking the margin on my third go

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

White america breathes a sigh of relief

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Richmond brand mediocrity must have rubbed off.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Jesus Christ. Von Miller is a lock for mvp right?

I'd bet my progeny on it

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

loving Hawthorn types always winning

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

gently caress yeah footy yeah

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
So who won the pigskin game? I would go search myself but beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
the Brisbane Broncos apparently

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nutsngum posted:

So who won the pigskin game? I would go search myself but beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Shelbyville Sharks

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Which sucks because I was going for Penriff

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

gently caress yeah footy yeah

Good to see its not the poo's and wee's on the cover

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Spedman posted:

Good to see its not the poo's and wee's on the cover

This is true.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

snaeksikn posted:

But that's the nature of liking what artists produce at a certain time rather than for their lifetime, ie I haven't bought a Foo Fighters album for close to 10 years but a few of their albums are some of my all time favourites
This exact thing is why I'm nervy about the At The Drive-In reunion.

Spedman posted:

It's pretty much every Australian sport that's non ABC/SBS, and what makes it doubly annoying is that footy and cricket are not simple games, and some insightful commentary can be made.

The root of the problem being Australia is an old boys club, and the public accepting that the best insight comes from those who've played the game, which US sport has shown for decades isn't true.
I've mused on this a lot lately and I think it's more to do with the fact that we have a culture of major sport on free-to-air TV and the broadcast having to compete in that domain. They have to try and flourish in the same market as like Big Bang Theory and Australia's Got Talent or whatever rather than aiming their product at sports fans who are paying a premium to watch the game get soberly analysed, as evidenced by this:

hiddenmovement posted:

It's me, I'm the problem

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

I piss and
Y wife wants to bone halp

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

TG-Chrono posted:

I piss and
Y wife wants to bone halp

Terrific.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

U found green frog?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
At the drive-in are back together!?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

realbez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrkV_NL9GaI

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This is incredibly important news, and I learned it first in the PEDs and midget-burning thread. What a time to be alive.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

realbez posted:

Bro pleese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Is there anything preventing AFL teams from having oxygen tanks on the bench? I remember the three peat Brisbane team started with IV for rehydration.

• Locked thread