Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Nice OP. Protip, change .gif's to .gifv and they''ll be much better now they can be embedded, no [img] tag required.
Speaking of, gifdump shortly.

Edit:
Footy at the MCG

http://i.imgur.com/mE5QwYc.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/PrGjQUb.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/LIyvDtc.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/EkmYHeX.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/6adsU3f.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/WUEgIqI.gifv

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I ran it through the crawl generator on the starwars website. Disney filtered out 'pissing'
http://i.imgur.com/lrIoyMs.gifv

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
GWS should change their name. It is offensive to little people. St Kilda is also offensive to littlepeople, they keep burning them.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
We're talking about less offensive, not more.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sam Rowe getting the facepaint on today.

Well, to be fair he has already beaten cancer once, don't take a chance for it again.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/FOXSportsNews/status/695032312841400323

edit:
https://twitter.com/AFL/status/695122819546353665?s=09

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 4, 2016

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

TG-Chrono posted:

CRIPPS HAS EXTENDED UNTIL 2019 gently caress YES

aww yisss
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2016-02-04/cripps-signs-new-deal?camefrom=EMCL_946154_37735993
Edit: Member scarf for the year. Not a fan of the 'holes' in the 'bound by blue' lettering. The other side and old logos are fine. No hat this year, just scarf.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 4, 2016

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This is it anyway, I didn't know it was so close to the CBD/Subi anyway.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Randomly came across the wiki page for the 1924 season, these are down in the notes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1924_VFL_season

quote:

• The Fitzroy versus Carlton match in the opening round was the first VFL match in which both teams scored 100 points.
  • The VFL adopts the convention of "home" teams wearing black shorts and "away" teams wearing white shorts.
  • Because the 1924 Premiership was determined by a round-robin system, Essendon won the premiership despite being beaten by runners-up Richmond 9.13 (67) to 6.11 (47) in the last round-robin match; this is the only time in VFL/AFL history that the premiers lost their last match of the season. Richmond would have needed to win by 43 points to challenge Essendon to a Grand Final.
  • Many of the Essendon players were unhappy at the poor performances of some of their team-mates in the final round robin match against Richmond and there were heated arguments and fist-fights in the rooms after the match, as well as after a post-match function later that evening, related to accusations of match fixing and receiving bribes.
  • On the Saturday after the VFL Grand Final, Essendon (in its role as 1924 VFL Premiers) was challenged by 1924 VFA Premiers, Footscray, to a match in aid of Dame Nellie Melba's Limbless Soldiers' Appeal, purportedly (but not officially) for the championship of Victoria. Footscray unexpectedly defeated Essendon 9.10 (64) to 4.12 (36). Again there were accusations of match fixing, and champion centre half-back Tom Fitzmaurice was so disgusted with many of his team-mates having, in his view, deliberately lost the match, he never played again for Essendon.
  • The Seconds Grand Final, to have been staged between Geelong and minor premiers Essendon on 4 October, was originally scheduled to be played at Geelong's home ground, Corio Oval. After Essendon raised its objections, the Seconds League rescheduled the match for Kardinia Park – a neutral venue, but still located in Geelong. Essendon again objected, and refused to play the match.[3] Consequently, the Seconds premiership was awarded to Geelong.[4]

Dammit Essendon, bringing the game into disrepute.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well, you'd save money on fabric...

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Whenever I see pictures of Brownless I think of Greg Fleet.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes. Waste of money, waste of time and fencing off public land.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Why not? When Carlton are in line to finish atop the ladder.

Let me have my delusions.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
When Hawthorn wins next?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Just so you know, Chromecast 2 (and chromecast audio) just hit stores here this week.
http://www.google.com/intl/en_au/chromecast/

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Nutsngum posted:

Okay boys, whats the easiest and best way to VPN and get an international pass to watch the footy this year?

Not sure if it'll work for 'international' afl watching (it should) but unblock.us is $5CAD a month and works wonderfully for Netflix with many regions on many devices: PC, modem/router, smart tvs, android phones/tablets and apple stuff too.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
"Assistant coaches: ... Shane Watson (lbw b Finn 13 (40) forward)..."

Carlton might hit a few sixes then.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hodge, literally Hitler right then.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
What VFL Park has been reduced too:

Hey, with skyrail being touted perhaps they can finally build the Rowville line using the same method, which was supposed to be built just after the ground opened.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I know, on both counts. Which is why I'm glad the Metro tunnels are being built, it means new lines are possible all over the network, not that they'll ever be funded...

Waverly was built there because the (now) Monash Freeway was to be built right next to it, opening two years after VFL Park opened. Then, because it was built in the demographic centre of Melbourne (before the western suburbs were built) it was supposed to be easy for people to get to, with the Rowville line to be built to help people from the northern suburbs get out to the ground.

Lack of public transport to the ground helped contribute to it's downfall, but once the VFL took their ball home from the MCG they had a much stronger bargaining chip for MCG usage.

Then we got docklands as a replacement :v From the best ground surface in Aus to the worst.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hawthorn will start their own womens league and win that every year.

Carlton didn't do so bad against the hawks overall I reckon, given the new blood on both sides. I mean, there were still some terrible plays and they turned the ball over so many times with long kicks.

But with 78 rotations vs 135, Bolton has them playing for the 2016 season when the limit will be 90 interchanges. Hawks were just playing like normal and giving players more rests. They will still be good sure, but in comparison da bloos did alright for a 21 point loss.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I guess Carlton did a deal with marvel?

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/702801505183735808

Edit: I remember this, just. I miss the days of that scoreline too.
https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/702761252125335553

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Damnit Carlton, why did you build your new poo poo so close to the boundary? Could have built it 15 meters back and left room for stands, ground should be brought back for smaller AFL matches, still good.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
13 turnovers, 5 resulting in goals.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Who tried to piss in he mouf??

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Nutsngum posted:

Skipping the metric system is like skipping leg day bruh.

Too right! We use kilojoules in Australia giys. Not calories.

Seconding myfitnesspal, scan/input your meals and you're good to go.

Try having weekbix and an apple for breakfast and then also eating for the other 2 thirds of the day too.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Introduction of the Luke Hodge sinbin.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Periphery posted:

Without more detail on what Eddie proposed it's basically impossible to come up with an idea of how good it is.

I do think the idea of selling Etihad then building something for less and pocketing the difference would very much appeal to the AFL. However, the plan Eddie has suggested would cost as much as selling Etihad would generate. I'm assuming he's thinking the government will pitch in a significant amount of money for it.
Very expensive, could maybe see a new stadium built at Olympic Park (as in, the olympic stadium site) or maybe moving punt road oval west about 50 meters to built stands which overhand Punt Road, but residents would object to that overshadowing them.

Periphery posted:

Eddies plan seems to involve the putting Richmond station underground but considering it goes over punt road already I'm not sure how that would work. But Richmond station is in desperate need of a complete overhaul and is probably on the cards anyway so it could be a good way to piggyback onto a bunch of government funding.
Redevelopment of Richmond station has been on the cards for a while now, it was going to be redevloped for the Comm Games but nobody could decide anything. Now that all the factories next to it are apartments they have been wanting to sell the airrights to developers, keeping Richmond Station elevated.

If you want to sink the station underground, you have to remove the Punt Road overpass (main station), then also remove Swan Street overpass because it is close to the station and there isn't enough room to transition from below ground to above, East Richmond Station is closeby too so that'd have to be rebuilt (or removed more likely) for the transition. Now, towards South Yarra you have a few overpasses leading upto the river crossing, which either you sink the entire section between Richmond and South Yarra and rebuild both stations underground (looking a little late with Metro starting without an underground South Yarra interchange now) so, billions.

Although you could probably move Richmond Station to the other side of Punt Road, keeping it on ground level and then decking it.

Periphery posted:

I'd kinda envisage them building over the top of the tracks (they are already thinking of doing this between Batman Ave and Fed Square) and really connecting the MCG with the tennis poo poo and maybe even Olympic park if they figure out something to do with Olympic boulevard. If done well that whole area could be really cool on a Saturday with multiple games of footy over the day.
Fed Square East will be developed in the next decade or two, lots of plans have gone out about it, just need to wait for Docklands to finish to push up land value in the city, because the cost of decking the rail lines there isn't worth it for a museum or parkland, there needs to be a commercial element. ANZ were going to build their HQ there before they decided to build it in Docklands a few years back.

I might make a lovely photoshop of my idea for the sports precinct when I come to power as dictator.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Nope. But a future link to the clifton hill area could go nearby, which would lay the groundwork and capacity for a doncaster railline (hah yeah right) That was stage 3 of the original metro tunnel proposal, stage 2 was a line from Domain through fishermens bend and under the yarra to newport or spotswood. But those extra stages were canned when the liberals wanted to run it via 'fishermens bend' (montague).

The cliftonhill/doncaster tunnel would have joined the current Metro tunnel at the Parkville station, right next to Melbourne uni/the hospitals, go north a little bit under the uni and then turn to follow Alexandra parade and run down the middle of the Eastern. So that gets you at closest to Princess Park, the other side of Melbourne Cemetery. I suppose you could make the tunnel longer and go north a bit more but that would be expensive for not much benefit.

Other than rebuilding the inner city circle trainline which runs about 200 meters north of Princess Park, would be to build a new entrance for Royal Park station next to the zoo closer to Royal Parade.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 9, 2016

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
While Princes Park should be restored to a ~30-35k ground (currently somewhere around 25) and upgrading some facilities (toilets etc) as a boutique stadium, demolish Docklands and rebuild something at E-Gate. The area will be redeveloped once Docklands is completed in the next 10 years.

Build it next to North Melbourne station, fronting Dynon Road on the south side of it, up against the creek. Then they can finally build the Footscray Road tram from the city to Footscray and it'd only be 400m south of the new Arden Station. Then you flog the land around it for developments of the old railyards when they are relocated.

Here's my googlemap of the train tunnels too, it started as the 'skyrail' elevated rail for the Dandenong line but I added in the Melbourne Metro locations this evening, as well as the former proposed tunnels for the doncaster and fishermens bend lines, which are no longer official.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zmhVpxOMtwuI.kfkll7ehKj1U&usp=sharing

Diet Crack posted:

Portals you say?

:raise:
The name for the end of tunnels. If only it were Portal portals.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 9, 2016

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The club Melbourne deserves.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...81f96e5c70d162b

quote:

RICHMOND has proposed a glittering third stadium for Melbourne as an alternative to Eddie McGuire’s proposed 60,000-seat extravaganza across the railway tracks.

The Tigers’ Punt Rd Oval master plan centres on a new stadium with up to 40,000 seats and a fans’ zone area between the ground and the neighbouring MCG.

Importantly, Richmond railway station is part of the redevelopment plan.

“Is a third stadium worth exploring? I don’t know, that will be up to the AFL, but we want to be in the discussion,’’ Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale told the Herald Sun.

An architect’s impression of how Punt Rd Oval would look as a 40,000-seat AFL venue, with a rejuvenated Richmond station as part of the master plan.

Former AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou was a key supporter of the plans when they were mooted in 2013 and the cost of an 18,000-seat stadium was put at $180 million.

A capacity increased to 40,000 would mean a blowout to an estimated $380 million.

It is understood senior AFL officials have seen architects’ drawings, revealed by the Herald Sun.

Funding would be expected to come from the AFL and the State Government and would not require the sale of Etihad Stadium, like the McGuire plan.

Punt Rd should be in the frame. It’s an existing venue (and) it wouldn’t require the selling of Etihad Stadium

Brendon Gale

Gale said Punt Rd was an obvious choice for a third venue.

“We are in the process of developing a master plan for this precinct,” Gale said.

“Back in 2013, Demetriou was the driver of this and the attraction for them was having a lower capacity, lower cost stadium for smaller fixtures.

“And also stadium economics and finances are the biggest driver of disparity of wealth (among clubs) and we could try to address that by having a third venue.

“So, Andrew said ‘would you be interested in having a look at it for Punt Rd?’

“Punt Rd should be in the frame. It’s an existing venue, it wouldn’t require the selling of Etihad, and the Richmond railway station has been the agenda for a number of years and maybe this gives the government the opportunity to redevelop that.”

The debate ignited when Collingwood president McGuire suggested a new stadium on the Hisense Arena site prompted the Richmond senior management to put the Punt Rd plans back on the agenda at a meeting two weeks ago. The MCC was also briefed.

There is no State Government engagement as yet, but Gale believes Premier Daniel Andrews, who is also a supporter in principle of McGuire’s stadium plan, should be a substantial funds contributor.

“The economic impact of this game is huge, $3 billion, half a million members, how many fans are there in Victoria?’’ Gale said.

“This game is a huge driver of this economy. And I think we’re entitled to question the extent our government invests in football relative to other states.”

It is understood the AFL favours a refurbishment of Etihad Stadium rather than selling it and building at Hisense Arena, and Gale agrees.

“Our personal view is we keep Etihad Stadium,” he said.

“It’s going to be worth $1 billion and we’ve got an 18th share in that in 2026. It’s a huge asset for the competition.

“So, what’s attractive about this is the capacity of maybe 40,000, which would support the business models of some clubs.”

McGuire’s plan, which would cost an estimated $1 billion, has the support of several clubs and major events king Ron Walker.

But not everyone believes it would be the right move. Former Premier Jeff Kennett has said the idea was already “dead and buried”.

The Tigers have a lease at Punt Rd and would use it as club HQ and training ground.

They believe a redevelopment of the railway station, with a new stadium on the way to the MCG, would enhance one of the world’s best sporting precincts.

Just like I mentioned the other page, upgrading Punt Road oval. Although I'd but the larger stand on the southside as not to overshadow the ground, although there is less room there without shifting the playing surface a bit (which would probably happen anyway)

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 17, 2016

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It all stems from docklands being demolished in 2 decades (probably)

If they needed a third stadium for smaller games Princes Park is the best bet, it already exists for ~25k people. Bring it up to 30k and that is perfect size.

40k is too big for a third stadium (and expensive to build from scratch) and you'd be replacing docklands with a ~55k one anyway.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No they tore it all down for the current richmind hq didnt they? Or is there a stand off to the side? Idk.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
4 days to footy

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

realbez posted:

Noice. Anyone good playing?

Yeah, Carlton who will win the flag in October (20xx)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I won't be off work till 6 so no going to the footy tonight unless I rush it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

monolithburger posted:

The only acceptable choice here is giving Captain Carlton full reign.

#BringBackTheHovercraft

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Listning to 774 today I heard a mention during raf epsteins show about a womens footy podcast? Outer sanctum I think it is. Also goalumpire Chelsea is a writer too.

I don't podcast but someone might like it? vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I hope Franklin drops something on his foot during the week and misses this weekend, hell, most of the Sydney team do this please, or get a cold etc.

• Locked thread