Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
"Players to watch: Bryce Gibbs, uhh, Jack "SOSOS" Silvagni, I guess? Struggling here"

PATRICK 'loving' CRIPPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

gay picnic defence posted:

It took a little tracking down, but :stare:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

So Dyson Heppell appeared at a club sponsor's launch or something for Kia and neither the AFL nor ASADA were told and something might happen?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Flying Fortresses are still used loving plenty.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

gabensraum posted:

I will not be buying one of these guernseys, but I enjoy the fact that the five people who do will be wearing my name.
https://shop.carltonfc.com.au/member-guernsey/2016-member-guernsey

You pay for the right to have your name on there don't you, not actually having 50k names on a guernsey.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

loving Tory gently caress.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

The AFL didn't divvy up NT and only award them to Victoria right? That's some malarkey right there. These are academies too, so it's harder to guarantee those players coming to your club now also.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

MELBOURNE has announced that Michelle Cowan and Daisy Pearce have joined the club as employees.

Chief executive Peter Jackson said Cowan and Pearce were “both outstandingly talented individuals who came to attention via our long term association and investment in women’s football”.

“Michelle Cowan has proven herself to be an outstanding coach and we have secured her in our football department in a development role to support our player welfare,” he said.

“We are of the view that it is important for our club to provide a diverse influence to our players and Michelle will provide and important perspective and leadership to our players, both male and female. 

“Everything I know about Daisy tells me she will have a long term role in football in whatever area she chooses to pursue and that she will be a future leader of the game.”

Good poo poo

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Hirdists are more disgusted by the prospect of Adam Goodes playing in the sash for a year than the fact their team was done for drug cheating.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

You didn't put a password?! Criminy.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

thepokey posted:

Where is this Goodes to Essendon stuff?

There wasn't any serious suggestion it was just funny that bad Essendon fans were vocal about not wanting him there.

CRIPPS HAS EXTENDED UNTIL 2019 gently caress YES

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Kragger99 posted:

Hey guys, I'm coming from Canada to Melbourne in May to see 2 games (first time!).
What's the best way to get to Geelong from Melbourne for a 2PM game if we're not hiring a car?

There are numerous trains (V-Line) that run especially for the footy. They terminate at one of the two stadia in the city that hosts AFL games.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Cripps has to be on HGH or something right?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

I'm talking about being 20 and still growing vertically at pace. And comparing Cripps to Daw? :hurr:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Think they're just talking about top ups? They're allowed to elevate rookies to their senior list.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

The AFL also doesn't give the slightest gently caress about state league teams, their care only extends as far as the state bodies keeping their U16 and U18 competitions in top order, so that the feed into the draft is never hindered. West Adelaide could go full New New York Mets with their senior line up and the AFL wouldn't care.

The SANFL and WAFL and their respective boards are still independent of the AFL which is why there is so much hand wringing about reserve teams in those states and the whole Adelaide Oval profit sharing malarkey.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

I'm up at 6 to start smoking the pork belly I've got. 1030am kickoff, half time luncheon.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Heaps of the past super bowl mvps are getting booed by the crowd, Goodes was such a sook!!!1

T*m Br*dy cheated

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

monolithburger posted:

You just know the AFL are absolutely spoofing their dacks over the twilight Super Bowl right about now.

It's usually at night in the East Coast, so this is like if the GF was a night one but hosted in Perth.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

snaeksikn posted:

Von Miller isn't fat you're fat

He's literally done 20-30 5sec wrestle matches, it's about explosiveness not endurance

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Jesus Christ. Von Miller is a lock for mvp right?

I'd bet my progeny on it

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

gently caress yeah footy yeah

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

I piss and
Y wife wants to bone halp

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

realbez posted:

At the drive-in are back together!?

Bro pleese

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Morabito out for 6 now too. The preseason is well and truly underway.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I'm gonna miss commetti

https://youtu.be/IzpiVMjhjg4

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

As much as I initially hated the Trigg hire, I can't really fault his attitude or actions since being at the Blues.

quote:

Some people perceive the AFL and its 18 clubs as giant PR machines. More talk than action; more style than substance.

Unfortunately that perception, perhaps that cynicism, is largely understandable.

There is, after all, a proliferation of community-type announcements, media calls and press releases; and there are carefully managed scenarios that accompany any player behaviour issue. Even those of us who have long been at the coalface can get a touch cynical, despite the enormous amount of good community work that actually does take place and the game’s leadership on various social issues.

The jockeying by clubs to field one of a handful of women’s teams in the national women’s league to debut in 2017 is likely to be creating more of that public cynicism.

But the cynicism on this one needs to be tempered — at least for now.

As recent announcements about new female directors and coaches demonstrate, the clubs are serious about it.

And every club knows that acquiring and developing a women’s team is about much more than image. It’s about growing the game.

The simple fact is that girls and women represent much of that potential growth — and, importantly, it’s about leadership in equality.

At Carlton, for example, there’s much to do to become the inclusive club we want to be.

To call it as it is, there’s unfortunately a lingering perception of the Blues as something of a boys’ club.

That is reflected in our female membership percentage, which at less than 30 per cent has been the lowest in the competition.

It’s a perception that the club is determined to change because we know our female supporters love the game as much as the men.

Committing a traditionally multicultural and diverse Carlton to real gender balance and inclusiveness right across the club is key and the appointment of equal opportunity commissioner Kate Jenkins to the board is a significant step forward.

Everyone at Carlton knows that we are striving to create a sense of belonging, including the clear objective of meaningful engagement with women as players, supporters and employees.

Again, with a broader perspective, all clubs “get it” and to varying degrees are responding.

We understand that the ability to field a viable and visible women’s team — as well as helping to develop pathways for girls and young women — is a powerful means of connecting, including and creating a sense of belonging.

And what of demonstrable leadership?

Say what you will about the code and its efforts and effectiveness, but the AFL and its clubs do have a red hot go when it comes to leadership in community and on social issues such as racial and religious vilification, drugs or equality.

But we can always do better.

The competition’s Respect and Responsibility framework has had all the right intentions, but chief executive Gillon McLachlan is right to call for a review of that policy and how we can improve in terms of gender equality.

There’s a clear and improving understanding that it’s a lack of equality that leads to domestic violence and that the primary prevention of family violence is through improved gender equality.

There’s an understanding, too, that the key settings for change on gender equality are workplaces, sport, education and media.

So that puts the AFL and its clubs very much in the frame as influencers.

In simple terms, an AFL club women’s team will improve the profile of women’s football and encourage greater participation.

It will strive to expose unhelpful stereotypes and, over time, will lead to more opportunities for women to work in football, not just as players, but as administrators and coaches.

When combined with education, it can and will make a difference.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

He may as well be, no one is going to remember him for his "Where did you come from" episode. (It rules BTW)

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

So Shmoses and I had a high level creative piss up meeting on an idea that I floated a couple of weeks ago.

We're looking at putting together a periodical podcast to talk about footy in a relaxed goony environment. An awful footy podcast if you will.

Details of the where and when are still to be ironed out but Shmoses and I are happy to have guests/regulars that are happy to come and talk about football now and again from the thread.

Anyone endorse or interested in this idea? (I promise to be drunk the entire time)

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

realbez posted:

I would probably listen to you nerds talk about football

You wouldn't come be a nerd with us? :shobon:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'd definitely listen to a podcast that wasn't Sam McClure going LABOR WASTE or bigfooty idiots talking about sluts and campaigners.

We would have to do a live cast of you at a game I hope you know

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Periphery posted:

I'd listen to it but I'm not sure I'd be any good talking about it.

I'd love to hear a podcast that is Gough/Solemn Sloth watching a Dees game live.

E: ^^ :dance:

Have you ever been to the pub to talk about footy with your mates? That's basically the gist of the pod. Me and Shmoses could easily talk baloney for a while, I wanted to stay longer but my wife thought I was at work doing overtime and wanted to maintain the façade in a plausible way.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

You got us, it's the Paddy Cripperfield Power Hour.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

I actually model myself after Philip Quist in my journalistic stylings.
https://youtu.be/XRCOdCsrcTI

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Don't look at Essendon's new clash guernsey. Just don't.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Not the Footy Show! What will they put on instead? Sex Island?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

:bernpop: :eyepoop:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-real-story-of-how-the-shane-warne-foundation-fell-apart-20160211-gmrbjs.html

Eddie McGuire's role in Shane Warne's shonky charity dealings was more pronounced than I realised. Not unexpected given how much of a dodgy fuckwits club top sport in Australia is.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

Is Bigfooty leaking again?

:eyepoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

another one for the jacket.

• Locked thread