Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Better get some loving answers later...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

First look into Santa Monica. Good start to the episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird that they're not making Adrian Pasdar the new Proxy.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Really strong first season.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Great finale, the only thing I'm disappointed in the whole season was that we actually somewhat saw one of the aliens. I was hoping they would be a faceless threat over the entire series. But seeing one dead one is a fine compromise I suppose.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

X-O posted:

Great finale, the only thing I'm disappointed in the whole season was that we actually somewhat saw one of the aliens. I was hoping they would be a faceless threat over the entire series. But seeing one dead one is a fine compromise I suppose.

I understand the idea behind not seeing them (partly because it would quite possibly be dumb whatever they did with them), but I'd really prefer to get to know the 'hosts' and their motivations. I was pretty disappointed that we didn't see them really, just a three fingered suit with whizz bang technology and a funny shaped helmet. Because of that and the general lack of resolution I was kind of dissatisfied with the finale. I'd like to have seen at least one of the plot threads get somewhat closer to a resolution than they did. A good finale should set up a second season with interesting conflict and changes in setting, and they did that for sure, but I felt like that was pretty much all they did.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

See with the series that I've been watching for 9 episodes now if this episode turned into this big thing about the aliens and their reasons it would have felt completely out of place. What has made this season so good is that it hasn't dealt with the stuff and instead just deals with the fallout and the way it effects the people. I know nobody is advocating for a Falling Skies all out aliens vs human resistance on this show, but I'm saying I want absolutely no part of that. If they dole it out very sparsely like that did this season that's fine. But even just seeing the suit was a bit too much for me because I wanted even less. I understand if other people want more of that, but that's not what I like about the series at all.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

X-O posted:

See with the series that I've been watching for 9 episodes now if this episode turned into this big thing about the aliens and their reasons it would have felt completely out of place. What has made this season so good is that it hasn't dealt with the stuff and instead just deals with the fallout and the way it effects the people. I know nobody is advocating for a Falling Skies all out aliens vs human resistance on this show, but I'm saying I want absolutely no part of that. If they dole it out very sparsely like that did this season that's fine. But even just seeing the suit was a bit too much for me because I wanted even less. I understand if other people want more of that, but that's not what I like about the series at all.

Oh I don't mean I wanted the whole episode to be about the occupant of the suit, or for him to regain consciousness and spout off a villainous monologue and then karate chop his way out of there. I was just hoping we'd learn a little bit about them and maybe see their face before events took a turn and that's all we got, just something to sate my curiosity and prompt new questions.

Broadly, I was just hoping we'd get some more action on the political situation, maybe see Charlie come back, or see Will getting stranded on the other side of the wall after his transit pass is cancelled (which I still think will happen, maybe some exposition on a wider resistance or what's going on beyond the colonies. The last thing I want is loving Falling Skies. I hate watched that show the last 2-3 seasons purely to mock and deride it, and at least the completely bananas finale kinda made up for some of it in comedy value. I'd like this show to actually be about something and have interesting characters and drama, but I wouldn't mind a little more sci-fi in my science fiction drama though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, this is one of those shows were less is more -- though I confess, I wanted more by the way of pyrotechnics in this finale. I feel like none of the storylines came to a resolution, but were mostly pushed into act 2.

I do love how all the humans are completely compromised and working against their "hosts" (calling them hosts is possibly one of most disgusting indignities that these aliens have forced humans to undergo), even if they're not working in open rebellion. Like, it's basically an open secret now that Will's wife is working with the Resistance, but everyone seems to be largely tolerating her.

Also, I know I just said that I enjoy the less-is-more thing, but it's going to present some problems for the show as they enter the end-game (should they get that far). Like, it's a universal occupation, and you get the sense that the show should probably end with that occupation being decisively repelled. So either the show is going to have to find some magic cure-all that it can dispense universally (which, IMO, comes across as fairly anti-climactic when shows try this kind of thing), or the show is going to have to dramatically expand its scope in coming seasons.

I'm hoping we'll get to visit the moonbase next season, personally, or perhaps get to see another Cordoned Zone (or whatever they're called).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Falling Skies mostly (occasionally) did what it set out to do, everyone else be damned, but Colony is definitely not that show. Colony is more about what people are willing to do or justify to themselves to do in a situation like occupation by a foreign force. It's mostly about survival (that doesn't involve running away or towards zombies) where people find themselves in a different power/governmental/social dynamic. So I think it stands to reason any endgame would maybe involve the characters running away for good if you want to leave it open ended. Because unless they have a good reason why a spacefaring race that can show up and knock us out in the span of an afternoon is gonna peace out, I really doubt they'll ever take the show in that direction. Or at least the chance of resistance seems fairly dire that you would literally have to invent the space version of the WW2 allied powers to show up and boot the Raps out.

I guess there wasn't much of a climax to the season. Which I guess is fine. They are getting a second season but they do leave everyone in an interesting place at the end of it, that's plenty for me.

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of weird that they're not making Adrian Pasdar the new Proxy.
Weird guess but maybe they filmed it quite ahead of it being aired so who knows if they want him as a regular for S2 now or to find someone to be the new proxy.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I hope they use footage from Moonraker to save money. Just kidding. Also the host is this show's hatch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Re: Pasdar

It's not clear how long he'll be sticking around on Agents of SHIELD -- I could see them bumping him up to regular status next season, given that they're losing at least two regulars to the spin-off. So perhaps they had to take his contract negotiations into consideration when breaking the season's plot.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Feels like the season needed another episode or 2. Im not saying I want everything tied up in a bow, but it ended rather abruptly with pretty much all the threads left dangling.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was a little disappointed in this episode, it really didn't feel that special, we didn't even get to see what the alien looks like. Also it annoys me that the redhats are still being taken down by extremely elementary tactics. Surely there must be someone working on the side of the oppressors with a tiny bit of tactical sense that can train them,.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's not clear how long he'll be sticking around on Agents of SHIELD -- I could see them bumping him up to regular status next season, given that they're losing at least two regulars to the spin-off. So perhaps they had to take his contract negotiations into consideration when breaking the season's plot.

I am terrible as recognizing actors, i had to look him up on wikipedia to find out who he plays on Shield, i don't know how i could miss that he is the guy playing General Talbot.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I liked the episode overall and the series in general and definitely looks forward to next season. But the whole host situation was imho handled really terrible. They spend the entire season building them up. We finally see one in its suit by the end of the second last episode. And then for nothing really to happen with it in the season's final. It felt kind of pointless. It worked mainly as a vehicle for shaking things up for next season, by letting Will leave and replacing Proxy, who will probably be send to the factory. But the host itself just showed us they have four fingers and really hard suits, which we more or less learned last episode anyway.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Oasx posted:

I was a little disappointed in this episode, it really didn't feel that special, we didn't even get to see what the alien looks like. Also it annoys me that the redhats are still being taken down by extremely elementary tactics. Surely there must be someone working on the side of the oppressors with a tiny bit of tactical sense that can train them,.
I get the impression - and the show seems to imply it to - that when the aliens came they literally targeted anyone who had military or government training. So that if they were to resist it would be in the most pathetic ways. And the people left behind to enforce security, the best you might be left with is a bunch of schlubby weekend warriors with an inferiority (superiority?) complex. That's why they only had people like Beau for a long while but as you can see, and what I think the show also illustrates, is that as soon as they bring Will into their employ, poo poo gets done. But on the flip side someone like Broussard and the cell leader also hid and were relatively effective in resisting the aliens because of their past training.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sober posted:

I get the impression - and the show seems to imply it to - that when the aliens came they literally targeted anyone who had military or government training. So that if they were to resist it would be in the most pathetic ways. And the people left behind to enforce security, the best you might be left with is a bunch of schlubby weekend warriors with an inferiority (superiority?) complex. That's why they only had people like Beau for a long while but as you can see, and what I think the show also illustrates, is that as soon as they bring Will into their employ, poo poo gets done. But on the flip side someone like Broussard and the cell leader also hid and were relatively effective in resisting the aliens because of their past training.

Also things like weapon ownership are banned and the whole standing military got destroyed.

So it makes sense that the Red Hats would be pretty complacent given the lack of real opposition.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Also :lol: at Texas getting glassed because gun nuts shooting first and asking questions later.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sober posted:

Also :lol: at Texas getting glassed because gun nuts shooting first and asking questions later.

The hosts did nothing wrong

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh god you just know #hostlivesmatter was pitched at a marketing thing

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Agh that was the finale?!

poo poo!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Feenix posted:

Agh that was the finale?!

poo poo!

Well on the bright side it got renewed for a second season despite so so ratings

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
I hope Beau returns next season from his cabin. Carl Weathers and Josh Holloway in a sci-fi buddy cop show is pretty entertaining.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Tad SG posted:

I hope Beau returns next season from his cabin. Carl Weathers and Josh Holloway in a sci-fi buddy cop show is pretty entertaining.
Yeah it's a shame they decided to write off Beau like that. The combination was I think weird on paper when I heard it but awesome all the way through.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Bad episode...for Katie!
  • Her kids are gone, to the Green Zone.
  • 1 captured by redhats, 2 back in the home-schooling clutches of Lindsey
  • Will is off looking for another kid in Santa Monica but his wall-crossing visa will expire before he tries to return.
  • She ratted out her rebel cell so they're done with her.
  • Her kitchen's a mess, and Madeline isn't there to clean it up!
  • That hidden camera.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 19, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Bad episode...for Will.

He and wife are in complete opposition re: the Hosts and they spent their last minutes together talking through each other.
His house, his job, his car, his food, his visa...all came from ex-proxy Snyder, and could easily be taken away.
HIs old partner is gone.
In fact, in the first episode he stated his desire to get his son back, and it's taken him 10 episodes just to get across the Wall. Finding one particular child in that post-apocalyptic cityscape with no communication devices, no law, and not much to barter with, ain't gonna be easy. I just hope it doesn't take him 10 more episodes to locate the kid!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

Bad episode...for Katie!
  • Her kids are gone, to the Green Zone.
  • 1 captured by redhats, 2 back in the home-schooling clutches of Lindsey
  • Will is off looking for another kid in Santa Monica but his wall-crossing visa will expire before he tries to return.
  • She ratted out her rebel cell so they're done with her.
  • Her kitchen's a mess, and Madeline isn't there to clean it up!
  • That hidden camera.

She still has The Yonk!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I don't know LA geography that much but it should be a fairly straight shot to Santa Monica and everything inbetween might be abandoned.

The only problem is if his position in the occupation will get revoked or if he can at least count on the Red Hat offices being able to accommodate him. And yeah the transit pass being revoked will definitely come into play here. Just hopefully not at the actual gates of Santa Monica.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

savinhill posted:

She still has The Yonk!

That was due to the deal with Snyder. I anticipate that the next proxy is going to be less accommodating.

Bad, really bad episode for Snyder:

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

So like the camera. Are we to believe it's been there the whole time since Snyder hired Will or is it new?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sober posted:

I don't know LA geography that much but it should be a fairly straight shot to Santa Monica and everything inbetween might be abandoned.

The only problem is if his position in the occupation will get revoked or if he can at least count on the Red Hat offices being able to accommodate him. And yeah the transit pass being revoked will definitely come into play here. Just hopefully not at the actual gates of Santa Monica.

It sounds like it was a one way pass given how it was issued under Snyder's authority.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I felt bad for Snyder at the end. He was a smarmy dick who enjoyed his power and perks, but I really think he wasn't kidding when he said he was the best of the bunch. We got a taste of how some of the other Colonies are run with our glimpse of Santa Monica, where feral homeless kids mug drifters in the street. :stare:

Overall I was very impressed with the show. It was better than I'd hoped it would be. I'm a bit bummed they didn't show the Raps under the suit or give us too much exposition, but I'm fine with them drawing it out a bit. It doesn't seem like mystery for the sake of mystery, and makes for interesting storytelling as they focus on the human lives under occupation.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Carl Weathers got cast in Chicago Justice. Booooooo

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Every Carl weathers scene I found myself dubbing "...and get yourself a stew going." after all his lines even if it didn't make sense. I can't be the only one.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Yeah, I thought they did a great job portraying Snyder as both self serving and trying to keep things as good as possible for the block.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Needed a post credit scene of Will finding out that his kid's been picked up in the tunnel. I wanted to see the face of the most frustrated man in the world.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Needed a post credit scene of Will finding out that his kid's been picked up in the tunnel. I wanted to see the face of the most frustrated man in the world.

Josh Holloway can do that face, he does it often.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, I thought they did a great job portraying Snyder as both self serving and trying to keep things as good as possible for the block.

Yeah the actor was great since lots of real world collaborators justified their involvement using arguments such as trying to improve things, resistance would make things worse/cause massive backlash from the occupying force or making the best of a bad situation.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

bring back old gbs posted:

Every Carl weathers scene I found myself dubbing "...and get yourself a stew going." after all his lines even if it didn't make sense. I can't be the only one.

Guilty as charged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

override367
Apr 29, 2013

etalian posted:

Yeah the actor was great since lots of real world collaborators justified their involvement using arguments such as trying to improve things, resistance would make things worse/cause massive backlash from the occupying force or making the best of a bad situation.

yeah, except in the case of this show a successful resistance just means the aliens nuke your entire block without losing a wink of sleep

My friend suggested to me a possible endgame for this show, what if the Raps just up and leave? What if they really do finish whatever they came here to do and gently caress off, leaving a brutal proxy government in power without a fig leaf of legitimacy?

• Locked thread