Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for January, 2016?
This poll is closed.
Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) 3 2.14%
:mufasa: Roman Reigns (FORMER WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 4 2.86%
:words: Triple H (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 37 26.43%
:smithmouth: Shingo Takagi (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 1 0.71%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 53 37.86%
:heysexy: Shinsuke Nakamura (FORMER IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 11 7.86%
:wotwot: Ethan Carter III (FORMER TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 4 2.86%
:hchatter: Matt Hardy (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 2 1.43%
:megadeath: Mil Muertes (Lucha Underground Champion) 15 10.71%
:sludgepal: STILL no good Champions? (None of the Above) 10 7.14%
Total: 140 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

2015 saw the first ever Woman's Champion voted in as Rowdy Ringsports' Champion of the year, as Bayley dominated with 38% of the vote, twice that of her nearest competitor. It was a year in which the most diverse range of promotions ever won monthly polls, which is either a sign of a general improvement in the overall quality of wrestling, or an indictment of the quality of the juggernaut that is WWE. In any case, 5 different promotions had Champions win the monthly polls last year, with a "sixth" winning the ultimate prize thanks to NXT's developmental status not affecting eligibility for the yearly poll. Click any of the images below to be taken to poll results for the given month, or the top banner for the year-end poll.

But now it's a new year, and it's time to see who gets the nod from Rowdy Ringsports to kick off the year. To be eligible, a wrestler needs to have held any of the currently accepted title belts for at least one day of the month OR had at least one title defense since becoming Champion. This means if someone wins the title on the last day of the month and defends it that night, they're eligible, and if they win the title on the first day of the month and don't defend it at all, they're eligible. The only case where someone won't be eligible is if they win the title on the last day of the month and don't defend it. Please note that belts for promotions such as PWG haven't been included in monthly polls so far because not only can months go by where the Champion doesn't defend their belt, but where the Champion doesn't make an appearance or even do a promo about his title. If you feel this is inaccurate and you are willing to provide me with links/information etc on a monthly basis showing why your favorite promotion's Champion is actively doing stuff as champ and deserves to be on the poll, then I'm happy to change this stance. Similarly, NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone - Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread!

Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) - Jay Lethal puts the "World" in World Champion, as during January his two title defenses took place in Tokyo and London respectively. Starting the month in Japan, Lethal defeated Michael Elgin at the Tokyo Dome at Wrestle Kingdom 10, and mid-month went to England where he defended the belt against Mark Haskins in York Hall for an RPW Event. Attempting to raise his profile internationally (particularly in Japan), Jay Lethal wants the whole world to know what those following ROH already do - that he is arguably the best wrestler in the world. But whether or not he is YOUR Champion is up to you.

:mufasa: Roman Reigns (FORMER WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - Reigns won the title that had eluded him through much of 2015, but 2016 was more of the same as he had obstacle after obstacle thrown in his path. Defeating Sheamus despite having Vince McMahon as a Special Guest Referee, Roman was then thrown into a 14-on-1 handicap match that ended in a No-Contest after 17 minutes of Reigns and Kevin Owens going at it in the ring while the other 13 mostly stood around and watched and then finally just jumped in to put a beating on him. Roman went to the Royal Rumble slotted into the first place position, his title on the line in the Rumble itself. Assaulted midway through the match by the League of Nations, Roman was being stretchered out when he forced himself back to his feet, waved off the medical attention.... and then bizarrely headed backstage, with the intent to be that he was too proud to be stretchered out but still completely willing to essentially take a powder for a little bit. Returning later in the match mostly fresh (not long after Kevin Owens had struggled to the ring despite his own earlier beating in a Last Man Standing match) Roman made it all the way to the final 3 before being knocked (clean!) out of the ring, thus ensuring there would be a new Champion.

:words: Triple H (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - The promise was made to Roman that Triple H would have his revenge "when he least expected it", and so Triple H showed up when EVERYBODY expected, as the number 30 "surprise" entrant in the Royal Rumble. To his credit, he did give everybody still in the ring a chance to put a beating on him as the final sequence progressed, before finally (cleanly!) eliminating Roman as Roman eliminated Sheamus. That left HHH and Dean Ambrose, and for a few wonderful seconds it seemed like Ambrose would win the belt. Instead, Triple H was able to hold onto the ropes and get Ambrose out of the ring, and thus (clean!) he became the new WWE World Heavyweight Champion. Now he waits for Wrestlemania, with Roman, Dean and Brock Lesnar all set to face off at Fastlane for the shot against him at Mania. A necessary top heel role in an injury-inflicted main roster, or a bit of self-aggrandizement? That's up to you!

:smithmouth: Shingo Takagi (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - After a packed ending to the year, this month Shingo "took it easy" in that he didn't defend his title at all. That's not to say he wasn't incredibly busy in multiple matches to pick off the new year, but the title defenses (and the excellent matches that come with them) are yet to come in 2016.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - After a quiet ending to the year, this month once again proved why that is a GOOD idea. At Wrestle Kingdom 10, Kazuchika Okada gave yet another outstanding performance in a match is already being talked up at THE best match of 2016, and having been there live (I'm bragging) I can with near-certainty say that nothing is going to beat it. An incredible match purely on its own merits, it also finally settled the question of who the true ace of NJPW was, as for the first time in his career Okada succeeded in defeating Hiroshi Tanahashi at the Tokyo Dome. A full year earlier, Okada had left the ring in tears as Tanahashi taunted him for not being the true Ace, now it was Okada who stood tall, having arguably delivered on the 6-star match performance he had promised the previous year. The Rainmaker is an incredible wrestler and talent, and he's also still very young at only 28 years of age. With Tanahashi defeated, the rest of the month saw Hirooki Goto emerge as the new rival to beat, as the two build towards a charged match. Last year Okada went on a losing streak and fell into a slump because of the devastation of his loss - who knows what will happen this year, but it seems unlikely that he isn't going to be flying high on top of the world for at least the time being.

:heysexy: Shinsuke Nakamura (FORMER IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - With a similar quiet end to the year, Nakamura had been building to a highly anticipated first-time-ever match with AJ Styles at the Tokyo Dome. At the show they delivered, an excellent match that would have been the best of the night any other day of the year but had the misfortune of being followed by Okada/Tanahashi. Nakamura retained the belt to some slight surprise (it seemed like AJ getting the belt would have freshened things up a bit) but everything started to make sense a day or so later when it was revealed that AJ, Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows AND Shinsuke Nakamura were leaving NJPW to go to WWE. AJ was quickly booted out of the Bullet Club by new leader Kenny Omega, and it seemed likely Nakamura would lose the belt to him in February or March before leaving the company. But then it emerged that Nakamura would be leaving by the end of January instead, and so to finish up his time in NJPW (for now), a farewell match was held in which the CHAOS faction defeated Goto, Tanahashi and Shibata and Nakamura made his goodbyes to the company. Things were already moving on without him, with the revelation that Kenny Omega would now be facing Tanahashi for the now vacant belt, while Nakamura said his goodbyes while not ruling out that he could return one day. So for now, this is your last chance to vote for Nakamura. The question is, will you let sentiment dictate your vote, or do you honestly think his match against AJ was good enough to warrant the vote despite being followed by Okada/Tanahashi? Or do you genuinely think he was the best Champion in January? The choice (and the reasons why) are, as always, entirely yours.

:wotwot: Ethan Carter III (FORMER TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - TNA returned to the airwaves on Pop TV, finishing up the title tournament cobbled together from old tapings that had run in the interim. Carter had lost the belt to Matt Hardy on their final proper show, only to in-storyline immediately take out an injunction preventing Matt Hardy from appearing on television. Matt immediately vacated the belt so that the Champion could still appear on television.... and by the time his injunction ran out the title still hadn't been decided and he was in the final with Ethan Carter III to decide who the Champion would actually be...... This nonsense aside, the two apparently put on a very good match, with Carter defeating Hardy to make the entire thing feel like a giant waste of time, except that it did set up a potential double turn. Carter's next defense against Hardy was not successful, and he lost the title he had just gained.

:hchatter: Matt Hardy (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - With his career on the line and his wife very upset at him, Matt Hardy wasn't gonna fool around. Turning heel in the process, Hardy defeated Carter and regained the title he had vacated for noble if ultimately irrelevant/foolish reasons.

:megadeath: Mil Muertes (Lucha Underground Champion) - Having won the LU Belt at Ultima Lucha to end season one, season two opens with the old Boyle Heights Temple now under Muertes' command. Sitting on his throne, he watches the action as Catrina runs everything for him from Dario's old office. To kick off season two, Muertes faced Ivelisse after she managed to win a Triple Threat against her Trios partners Angelico and Son of Havoc. Unfortunately for her, despite a valiant effort she was quickly defeated by Muertes. Former Champ Prince Puma came to the rescue though, and while distracted Muertes had his arm broken by psychotic opportunist Pentagon Jr. So despite all his power, the champ has already been proven vulnerable, a good way to kick off the new season, and perhaps to get your vote.

:sludgepal: STILL no good Champions? (None of the Above) - If you're still disgruntled that your favorite isn't on the list, or you think NONE of these Champions are worth a vote, or if you just wanna see the results so far, click on this option. It is a perfectly valid option and has "won" in the past.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

bow down to the king

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So is Mil Muertes not an option this month? He did defend his title. I mean I probably won't vote for him this month either way but if you're including TNA you may as well.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Voting no good champs is dumb because Okada Lethal and Hhh all own

voted okada because i like his pose the most

edit yeah where is mil muertes dead rear end

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

oatgan posted:

bow down to the king

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Can't vote Shingo, so I'm voting Lethal.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Lemmy memorial vote for HHH locked in

if undercard belts counted I'd vote for Kalisto but I don't think I'm gonna get much traction on that particular fight

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

So is Mil Muertes not an option this month? He did defend his title. I mean I probably won't vote for him this month either way but if you're including TNA you may as well.

I am horrified to admit that I completely forgot to put him in when I wrote up the list, and that this was a very, very, very awful oversight. If anybody wants to do a write-in vote for Muertes, post it in this thread and I'll keep a count and edit it into the final image.

I'll send a PM and ask a mod if they can add it in as an option as well.

Sorry! :sweatdrop:

:megadeath: Mil Muertes (Lucha Underground Champion) - Having won the LU Belt at Ultima Lucha to end season one, season two opens with the old Boyle Heights Temple now under Muertes' command. Sitting on his throne, he watches the action as Catrina runs everything for him from Dario's old office. To kick off season two, Muertes faced Ivelisse after she managed to win a Triple Threat against her Trios partners Angelico and Son of Havoc. Unfortunately for her, despite a valiant effort she was quickly defeated by Muertes. Former Champ Prince Puma came to the rescue though, and while distracted Muertes had his arm broken by psychotic opportunist Pentagon Jr. So despite all his power, the champ has already been proven vulnerable, a good way to kick off the new season, and perhaps to get your vote. Please note as of this writing, Muertes was mistakenly left off the list on the poll. I've asked a mod to insert him in, but in the meantime (or if that doesn't happen) you can do a write-in vote for Muertes and I'll keep a track of that.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 31, 2016

C411
Jun 22, 2004
STUPID
DICK
The rear end Kicker.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

C411 posted:

The rear end Kicker.

The Game-uh.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Hail to the king Baby :dukedog:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Okada/Tanahashi was a great match so I voted Okada. Sorry, Lethal. :(

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Muertes added

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HulkaMatt posted:

Muertes added

You're the best HulkaMatt, thanks :)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Vote for Trips next month or for WrestleMania if you want. Okada just had what's probably going to be MOTY

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Thauros posted:

Vote for Trips next month or for WrestleMania if you want. Okada just had what's probably going to be MOTY

Until Trips blows the roof off the Jerry Dome

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
THE GAME

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.
Proud to put my vote towards the clear winner, The Asskicker, The King of Kings, The Game, Hunter Hearst Helmsley.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
it's Okada

am I being trolled

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Time to play the game.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

The Rock

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

okada wrestled and won what will possibly be the best match of the year this month

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cardboard Box posted:

okada wrestled and won what will possibly be the best match of the year this month

Triple H beat 30 other men.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The HHH vs. Booker T feud but replace Booker T with Okada.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

HHH is always great, regardless of how shovelly he gets, and Okada had an awesome awesome awesome match at WK10, but I don't see any other champion hanging out in a Shao Khan chair surveying his kingdom. :black101:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

C411 posted:

The rear end Kicker.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Okada defended his title in what I'm pretty sure is the best match I've ever seen in my life, easy vote

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 1, 2016

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
2016 champion HHH calling it early here

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Okada defended his title in what I'm pretty sure is the best match I've ever seen in my life, east vote

Triple H made Dolph look like a bigger chump than normal.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
why the gently caress would anyone in their right mind vote for Triple H over Okada, good god

Okada wrestled what probably is going to be MOTY that was the finale to a story that was literally years in the making, the only CHANCE I'd have of voting anyone else over him this month is if Daniel Bryan's WM31 win happened this same month, and even then I'd still have to go with okada

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

triple h is the rear end kicker though

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Ostentatious posted:

triple h is the rear end kicker though

that's fair tbh. he is the game as well.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I automatically added the 'It's' in front of Bayley's name. Disgraceful that it was omitted.

I'm voting for the Cerebral Assassin.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just started watching LU. As awesome as Ml Muertes is, I gotta vote for Lethal. Still the best in the world :colbert:

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

gently caress Triple H, it's Okada easily. That match was amazing, and was years in the making.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Okada was in a legit ***** match that will probably still be MOTY at the end of 2016.

Nothing HHH did this month surpassed anything other champions did. Hell, Reigns had a better month.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Look, HHH is the rear end kicker. You know he can kick rear end, that's in his name.

Jay Lethal is Lethal. Again, his name tells you he means business.

Mil Muertes? Same deal.

Okada probably isn't even a word. All he can do is make snowflakes apparently, and those melt,

Vote a real champion. Don't vote Okada.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

also HHH is statistically at least a 25% better champion than Roman Reigns

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Triple H beat 30 other men.

technically he beat like 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace