Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nidoking posted:

* Here's my favorite: An engineer and a mathematician are hired to work at a company full of pranksters with low safety standards. One day, while they're at lunch, their officemates set fire to their trash cans. The engineer comes back from lunch, sees the fire, grabs the fire extinguisher, and puts out the fire. The mathematician returns shortly after that, grabs the fire extinguisher, and puts out the fire. The next day, the pranksters set another fire, but hide the fire extinguisher in a closet. The engineer gets back from lunch, sees the fire, searches the building, finds the fire extinguisher, and puts out the fire. The pranksters naturally hide the fire extinguisher again before the mathematician returns. The mathematician gets back from lunch, sees the fire, searches the building, finds the fire extinguisher, puts it back where it belongs, says "This is a known state," and sits down to work next to the burning trash can.

The physicist covers his cubicle with extinguisher foam, but it's within an order of magnitude of the right amount so it's good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Bruceski posted:

The physicist covers his cubicle with extinguisher foam, but it's within an order of magnitude of the right amount so it's good enough.

The physicist is confused because fire is a chemical reaction, and that's a completely different branch of science.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"put it out? That sounds like APPLIED physics to me, I just do theory."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The physicist has already used the fire extinguisher to create a cloud chamber and as a result the office building burns down.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I checked and Gobliiins 4 is no longer available at the unfortunately named gamersgate or anywhere else online I looked.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Hmmm... that's weird, but I confirmed that it's not available through any of the purchase links at the official page for the game, including Gamersgate. They've got what appears to be a "Coming Soon" page for it that has a checkbox to alert you when the game is released, but no purchase option. Welp. If anyone decides to look into this and find out what's happened to the digital distribution, feel free to post any answer you get here. If not, I may contact Gamersgate myself and ask if anyone there can tell me why they're not selling it anymore. They, at least, have been helpful, while the publisher's support only seems to be able to send me a form response in Russian even though my E-mails are clearly in English.

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
What was the point in the dog? We didn't need to walk past him, we wandered off to a random tree.... because? We need a nut?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Lord Malfegor posted:

What was the point in the dog? We didn't need to walk past him, we wandered off to a random tree.... because? We need a nut?

If you were paying attention, there was no nut involved. There was actually a bird, which we will need to deal with the dog. If you're expecting the game to make any more sense than that, then I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.

Look, it'll probably be easier if I just show you, okay?

Part 2-2: "You've gotta be loving kidding me. How the he- oh, all right, whatever." Polsy Youtube

Some of this is, admittedly, my fault - after processing the audio liberally to raise the volumes, I realized that Leave told me to pick up the elixir much earlier than I actually heard it, and I completely missed that. With that said, this is where the game really ramps up in difficulty, I think. Now we have to use items as they are AND turn them into other useful things with magic. It only gets more annoying from here, folks. On the bright side, I think we're about halfway through the game at this point.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Cool beans. We didn't have hint books for this back in Russia, so had to brute force all the way through. I finally went ahead and bought this pack on gog. Too bad that 4 is nowhere to be found, but it's probably worse than the old ones since they at least have nostalgia and cute art going for them.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

pokie posted:

Too bad that 4 is nowhere to be found, but it's probably worse than the old ones since they at least have nostalgia and cute art going for them.

It definitely loses a bit of the charm of the earlier games, particularly because of the less cartoony feel of the 3D graphics. The return to three characters with distinct abilities means that the game plays something like a more streamlined version of the first one, but there are so many puzzles that use the same item over and over that it gets a bit tiresome, and having to coordinate timing between the characters is a bit trickier when you have three of them. It's mainly the music from the floppy versions of 2 and 3 that I miss in 4, though.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I got through games 1 and 2 just now. I managed to get through 95% of 1 by memory and trial, but 2, oh boy. I guess I will withhold comment until we get to it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

There will be a slight delay in the release of my second solo video because Leavemywife is a real trooper and marathoned the rest of the game tonight while his wife patiently waited in the wings. Look forward to some head-scratching, head-banging, and other forms of head-mangling to follow.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The high point of this recording session, I felt, was when I had trouble with a simple puzzle because I was thinking with too much Gobliiins logic.

shwa
Feb 19, 2016

yeah I'm a game yeah I play girls
I feel like this playthrough might benefit from some sort of light music in the background of the floppy version, It might make this a bit more watchable.

Loving the LP besides that though!

shwa fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 3, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

The high point of this recording session, I felt, was when I had trouble with a simple puzzle because I was thinking with too much Gobliiins logic.

Episode 1 Leave: "I need to get through a door? Well, let's try doing everything I can to the door. No good? Okay, what else can I do?"
Episode 6-ish Leave: "I need to get through a door? Well, which of the random objects in the room will I have to throw magic at to open it?"

shwa posted:

I feel like this playthrough might benefit from some sort of light music in the background of the floppy version, It might make this a bit more watchable.

Funny you should say that... because it turns out that the game audio for the last half hour or so of our recording session either wasn't playing, wasn't recorded, or got corrupted. My plan is to attempt to recreate the game soundtrack manually using a separate capture of that portion of the game, but I may just have to use something else or leave it silent. Light music, on the other hand, is not an option on Youtube, as I'm sure you know. I have an idea that, while funny, probably wouldn't be in the spirit I intend for this LP. I may do it anyway. I may even skip the idea of using a game recording and just do the funny thing. We'll see.

I really don't want to make a fundamental change to the game experience, though. The first game is frustrating as hell, and the floppy version offers absolutely nothing to offset that. It probably put a lot of people off the floppy versions of later games (particularly the second), which is a shame, because they're much better and arguably superior to the CD versions. The third one definitely is.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

More good news - it looks like the audio from the last recording session wasn't actually corrupted after all. It just didn't play when I played the MP4 in VLC. When I imported the files into Avisynth, the audio seems just fine, so it's entirely a matter of splitting the final session into three or four videos and getting them cleaned up and posted. Oh, and the good news - I finally got the next solo video ready to go.

Part 2: A surprising number of skeletons Polsy Youtube

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Great news indeed!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Leavemywife and I have escaped the wizard's house, but now the wizard himself stands in our way. We'll need to sneak past him so we can find our way to Shadwin the Wise. Or SHADWIN the Wise, as the game puts it. I think this is one wise man who had one too many salesmen visit him and decided to do something about it. Very wise indeed. But on the way there, we'll get into some intimidating but fairly racy situations. This episode is probably no less safe for work than any other, but it's more suggestive than most.

Part 3-1: "Okay, we found a buttplug." Polsy Youtube

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

It's always surprising to me how much our voices sound alike. There were a couple of times I had trouble telling if you were talking or if it was me.

Generally, though, if it was stupidity trying to solve puzzles, I was pretty sure who it was.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You sound different enough from each other to me. :shrug:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Leavemywife posted:

It's always surprising to me how much our voices sound alike. There were a couple of times I had trouble telling if you were talking or if it was me.

Generally, though, if it was stupidity trying to solve puzzles, I was pretty sure who it was.

You both have remarkably similar accents.
Southwest? Midwest? Not sure.

But, like reverse twins, we can tell you apart, even if you can't.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I hadn't had any problems with the voices either. Maybe it's just because there is always one voice which requests stuff while another one listens to and suggests requests.
Having both of you co-comentate for a third person would be tougher, I guess.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think Leave may be at a disadvantage since I don't know how much he's listened to his own recorded voice. I've been told I sound exactly like Jamesman, actually, and I can definitely hear that. But what you're going to hear next is Leave's introduction to the most annoying part of Gobliiins, and probably the second worst part of the series overall. (I'm still working my way through a second playthrough of 4 to refresh my memory - that may have some contenders as well. Probably many of them.) The entire video covers only one screen, and even then, I was tempted to cut out some of the repetition, but it doesn't take very long and the conversation covers it pretty well. There will be edits later.

Part 3-2: "Can we, like, light his pants on fire to wake him up?" Polsy Youtube

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

That room was bullshiiit.

HotAndColdAF
May 30, 2011

Making Daddy proud.
"Welcome to the most annoying room the game, bar none."
"uuuuugh"

That's it, that's the video.

My only familiarity with Gobliiins is the third in the series, and, man, I thought some of its puzzles were pretty loving obtuse and difficult, but drat. drat.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
So, I found a weird coincidence about the number of I's in the titles of the games: there's always exactly four, if it were written with roman numerals. Gobliiins I, Gobliins II, Goblins III, & Gobliiins IV all fit the pattern. Obviously the next one in the pattern would be Gobliiiins 5, and I guess you would have four characters to control? That could be interesting.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

HotAndColdAF posted:

My only familiarity with Gobliiins is the third in the series, and, man, I thought some of its puzzles were pretty loving obtuse and difficult, but drat. drat.

They're obtuse and difficult, but not this annoying for the most part. 3 is by far the least annoying game in the series, particularly the floppy version. I don't think there are any puzzles that require this level of repetition when you know how to solve them. Just some very tricky timing puzzles.

Felinoid posted:

So, I found a weird coincidence about the number of I's in the titles of the games: there's always exactly four, if it were written with roman numerals. Gobliiins I, Gobliins II, Goblins III, & Gobliiins IV all fit the pattern. Obviously the next one in the pattern would be Gobliiiins 5, and I guess you would have four characters to control? That could be interesting.

Absolutely a coincidence, particularly since I've never seen any of them written in Roman numerals, and the first game wasn't called Gobliiins 1.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Every game needs some kind of imposing antagonist, and a wizard just isn't monstrously inhuman enough to qualify for that job. It's time to take on a dragon. Why? Because we need its fire to transcend a statue to break a curse. Whatever that means. At this point, the average player is probably just clicking everywhere to see what happens. Leavemywife spends a good portion of this video being average in that regard.

Part 3-3: "I feel so accomplished... What the friggedy-gently caress is this?" Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I love that the game broke his mind so much, that "Try to climb that sword." seems reasonable.
If you think about it, that's a terrible plan, but the game would totally do a thing like that.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Cool beans. The dragon room is pretty sweet imho. Sure it involves the usual Golbins bullshit, but it's a fun setting for its era. The deodorant joke is kinda great.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I've gotta admit, Nidoking, one of my favorite parts of these videos is seeing which quote you pull out for the video. I think it's a real neat way to denote which video is which.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

pokie posted:

I checked and Gobliiins 4 is no longer available at the unfortunately named gamersgate or anywhere else online I looked.

I managed to get a copy when the whim occured to me half-way through this LP. A copy can be acquired in the bay area..

You just gotta....uh...search the bay era telephone book. It's sandwiched in with 3 other numbers for similar sounding places.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Jim Flatline posted:

You just gotta....uh...search the bay era telephone book. It's sandwiched in with 3 other numbers for similar sounding places.

Gobliiins 4 Cash?

Gobliiin Golf?

The Fourth Gobble Inn?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I've been sitting on this video partly because it was more effort than I usually bother with, and partly because I have no idea whether the results will turn out to have been worth it. But I said at the start that I was looking to do things right this time, and one of the biggest (and entirely legitimate) complaints from the original LP was that portions of this game are incredibly boring, and there's no reason the LP itself should be correspondingly boring. Those who have watched the videos with Leavemywife already know which part of this game I utterly hate, and I decided to do something a little more fun to make it less boring and more entertaining. I've probably raised your expectations too much, so let me assure you that the result will not live up to your hopes. But it's shorter.

Part 3: Rip van Shadwinkle Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Gah! I uploaded this last night but didn't have time to make the post because I got wrapped up in a Hyrule Warriors mission that took much longer than expected, and when I finished it, I learned that Midna's Majora's Mask mask isn't even a thing from Majora's Mask at all! What's up with that? So I left it private overnight and intended to post this morning, but now lpix appears to be down, so I can't upload a screenshot to go with the update. But that's actually pretty much perfect, because this video is also a celebration of taking way too long to accomplish nothing at all. As I hinted at earlier, Leavemywife spent quite a long time banging his head against what turned out to be one of the simplest puzzles in the game, and I think it just goes to show you how much the warped logic in this game can mess with your mind. So, enjoy some further dragon-fighting antics followed by over five minutes of Leave not making any actual progress as we make our way inevitably toward the end of the game.

EDIT: Lpix is back, so here's the screenshot.

Part 4-1: "Okay, we've made it this far..." Polsy Youtube

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 1, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Weird, it's almost as if he isn't focused on the game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Huh, why is this only 4-1? Finally an action-packed update after the last 2 which were kind of slow going.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Nidoking posted:

Part 4-1: "Okay, we've made it this far..." Polsy Youtube

this screenshot fills me with existential dread ... I REMEMBER this puzzle

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Sorry Gobliiins with a Guest part 4-1 was not some of your best work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Major_JF posted:

Sorry Gobliiins with a Guest part 4-1 was not some of your best work.

I admit that my quality control was lacking - I usually edit out more of the background noise than I did this time.