Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Whelp, looks like I'm picking up a $500 Buick next Friday. That should leave enough room in the budget for a thumpr cam.

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

Sure. If they come with, I think we'd be in. That would be a decent price.

Ok, called and left a voice mail. Will let you know what I find out.

E: good news! Guy called me back. Radios do not come with antennae, but they do have the microphones. One of the little retaining buttons to hold it on the hanger is broken, but that's no big deal.

When I told him what we wanted them for he said he also has another cobra, simpler and smaller without the bells and whistles, but he would throw that one in for free if we bought the other two.

Plus he says he'd bring them up to Edmonton on the 10th (Wednesday) if you'd care to meet him somewhere.

Sounds like a sweet deal to me, should I call him back to set up the exchange?

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 3, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Coordinated with Drake and the seller via pm.

Deal is happening, so now we'll have three cb radios.

Which teams want in on this? The radios need mounting brackets (if one is so inclined) and an antenna.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Once I take possession of my B Body I'll let you know for sure. Chances are I'll take one.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

Once I take possession of my B Body I'll let you know for sure. Chances are I'll take one.

Sounds good. Drake said his team would take one too, so I guess we're set.

You and Drake can fight over the basic set I guess :v:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Just FYI If that's a 77-85 B body you don't need a bracket to mount a CB, just take the ashtray out and flip that bracket over. Fits perfectly.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 6, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Tommychu posted:

Just FYI If that's a 77-85 B body you don't need a bracket to mount a CB, just take the ashtray out and flip that bracket over. Fits perfectly.

Sweet! It's a '80 (I've already revealed too much).

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Just chiming in to say this the THE BEST IDEA EVER and I'm super pumped to see how it pans out!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Motherfucker! The owners of the 1980 Buick LeSabre sport coupe with the 5.7l decided not to sell. Luckily I've got my rotary guy on the hunt. I might be able to score a 13B JC Cosmo though for $500.

Edit: There's a $500 1977 El Dorado with a 7l :allears:

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 8, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I think all El Dorado's were FWD, though?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

I think all El Dorado's were FWD, though?

They were, which is why I haven't bought it yet. Nice to know that 7l & 26' of couch can be had for under $500 though.

Edit: There is 100% a rotary in my future for this rally.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 14, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have acquired a four ton come along of reasonable quality from peavey mart.

Drake: want me to pay you cash for those radios next time we meet, or interac now?

Who wants to get the hi lift?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

You guys can just borrow mine, unless someone was about to buy one anyway. It's a 48" all-cast.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 15, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

I have acquired a four ton come along of reasonable quality from peavey mart.

Drake: want me to pay you cash for those radios next time we meet, or interac now?

Interac would be good. I think we've got a line on a car, so I'll be putting that cash towards it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Tommychu posted:

You guys can just borrow mine, unless someone was about to buy one anyway. It's a 48" all-cast.

I was probably going to pick up a hi-lift but if nothing comes on sale by May, I'll for sure take you up on that offer. Thanks!

Vehicle has been purchased! Pickup is scheduled for end of the month once I'm back in town.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I think we should grind off all the paint from our cars and get some "North Saskatchewan Delorean Club" t-shirts made up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I got some bad ideas in my head.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'm very excited to watch the culmination of this, an event that will surely go down in history as automotive insanity.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

I think we should grind off all the paint from our cars and get some "North Saskatchewan Delorean Club" t-shirts made up.

Haha that is perfect.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

This is super tempting

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

This is super tempting

The looks on people's faces might almost be worth the crippling sunburns on our corneas.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Chrome / brushed aluminum effect vinyl is cheap. Also, we somehow need to incorporate some John Z Delorean cocaine dealer jokes into this.

On the sub $1000 vehicle front: currently working on picking it up this weekend or next weekend. It's bought and paid for. $200 for something with a manual, two doors and rwd is a good start in my books.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Chrome / brushed aluminum effect vinyl is cheap. Also, we somehow need to incorporate some John Z Delorean cocaine dealer jokes into this.

On the sub $1000 vehicle front: currently working on picking it up this weekend or next weekend. It's bought and paid for. $200 for something with a manual, two doors and rwd is a good start in my books.

So far so good

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Expanded the OP with vehicle budget / info breakdowns as well as added a link to a Google map route. Modified the OG route with the 6 / 23 suggestion.

So any guesses as to what DrakeriderCa and I ended up with?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

:allears:

Hint: it's sweet and sexy

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

:allears:

Hint: it's sweet and sexy

Oh soo sexy. I'm serious about trying to budget Singer-fy it. You said you knew a guy who could help with the upholstery.

Edit: I see no reason why when we're done, it can't be featured on Petrolicious. (Ambitious but rubbish statement of the year, possibly.)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

McTinkerson posted:

Chlamydia?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

slidebite posted:

Chlamydia?

Come on now Hyundais aren't that bad.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Chlamydia?

Syphillis has that mental illness component, right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's gotta be a Merc of some kind, and the only sort I can think of that would be in the $200 range would be a totally hogged out W201 with no interior. But I don't think there were any coupes. W124 with body damage?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

It's going to be a busy weekend! Friday, DoritoPower, David (whom I really need to buy an account) and I are driving down to Calgary to probably pick up their car. Terminal rust not withstanding. Saturday DrakeriderCa and I are picking up ours and diving head first into it. This is going to be so rad.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'll be around this weekend if you guys need any assistance/tools/space, just give me a call or text.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The first team has their vehicle. Pictures and a write up will be provided by DoritoPower on Sunday.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

MrChips posted:

:tviv:

Instead of 3 from Creston to Oosoyoos, you need to take 23 and 6 up through Nakusp. It's basically the best driving road in Canada and to miss it on something like this is probably a criminal offense.

There are also loving killer hot springs out there. Definitely go through Nakusp.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

There are also loving killer hot springs out there. Definitely go through Nakusp.

Ainsworth hot springs are the best hot springs i have ever been to. They are kinda on a spur road though, unless you wanna continue on the dirt the back way to the shelter bay/galena bay ferry. (An awesome drive in the summer)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've never been to the Nakusp springs but probably will go this year. I have been to Ainsworth and concur it is great. The best part was this sort of grotto cave hot spring that was warmer than the main pool and a little more private. This area is a little off the beaten path too so they are nowhere near as busy as Radium, Fairmont or Harrison.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe I was too subtle about the time I almost got lynched on the Nakusp ferry by a bunch of irate hippies as they looked over my blood soaked dick replacement.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Eh they're hippies...their granola and pot-addled brains probably never formed anything resembling a memory of that encounter.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Team Sweet Chili Heat is pleased to introduce, our $200 chariot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Team Sweet Chili Heat is pleased to introduce, our $200 chariot.

we gonna die

:toot:

• Locked thread