Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Trump get stumped?
Yes
No
#FeelTheBern
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Peachstapler posted:

The only sure way to prevent this from happening again is to not allow Iowans to vote.

I'm from Des Moines, and I say kill em all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Not a Step posted:

I'm from Des Moines, and I say kill em all!

It only has roughly 3 million people.

Killing them all wouldn't be too costly or time intensive IMO.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gyges posted:

Every 4 years we pretend that Iowa is first because they're used to these caucuses and they have so much practice with them. We're in good, experienced hands.

Every 4 years and one day we're reminded that Iowans gently caress it all up on the margins because at least half the time someone who doesn't actually know what they're doing is in charge.

If your goal is to get a precise vote count, you run a primary, not a caucus. The caucuses have other goals and the results reflect that. But that doesn't mean that the caucuses aren't working.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

If your goal is to get a precise vote count, you run a primary, not a caucus. The caucuses have other goals and the results reflect that. But that doesn't mean that the caucuses aren't working.

You don't have to convince me that caucuses own. I just find amusement in the fact that every cycle begins with think pieces extolling the wisdom of the Iowa caucus goer, and ends in the days following Iowa with the gnashing of teeth from stories about how the reported tallies are now being amended. Causing supporters of one of the losing campaigns to desperately clutch at imagined silver linings which will lead to their guy really being the winner.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I'm not clutching to anything, and I'm not some disillusioned BernieBro. I just moved to Iowa, and this was my first caucus here coming from a state that does regular primary ballots. It was a really interesting experience overall and had a ton of fun prepping and volunteering. I got to meet some awesome people, and ended up with some new neighborhood contacts that I wouldn't have met without the caucus experience. But... I think the IDP should have called it a tie and left it at that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pragmatica posted:

I'm not clutching to anything, and I'm not some disillusioned BernieBro. I just moved to Iowa, and this was my first caucus here coming from a state that does regular primary ballots. It was a really interesting experience overall and had a ton of fun prepping and volunteering. I got to meet some awesome people, and ended up with some new neighborhood contacts that I wouldn't have met without the caucus experience. But... I think the IDP should have called it a tie and left it at that.

Except there was a clear winner.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pragmatica posted:

But... I think the IDP should have called it a tie and left it at that.

You sent some delegates to support Hillary or Bernie right? You think its not possible to count them?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

fishmech posted:

"Clear" by a margin that triggers automatic recounts in any normal election.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

fishmech posted:

In a sense. In reality, the winner on the night of the caucus is just an estimate anyway - the actual delegate fight happens later. The only reason SDE is reported at all is out of convention to figure out who "won" on caucus night.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

You sent some delegates to support Hillary or Bernie right? You think its not possible to count them?

The system to how the delegates are allocated is super confusing. My precinct only had 86 people, but there were some that had 300-500 people. I can't imagine having to count all of them, and then recounting over and over if there are discrepancies. Hell, at my precinct we had some one that didn't sign in correctly, so our total was off. I ended up counting 59 people over 5 times, and the Hillary captain counted 27 but refused to recount her people and said I was wasting time and keep counting wrong. Then, the chair made and announcement and someone came up and said they didn't know they needed to sign in. Ughhhh.

So to do a "recount" you would basically need to contact everyone and ask who they supported. There is no written record except for what the chairs report. And that would be insane.

Pragmatica has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Feb 6, 2016

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Yeah, the delegate formula is bonkers. I was on the phone with this poor precinct chair for 15 minutes because the Hillary group had split in half to take a delegate away from the Bernie group and that went over about as well as you'd imagine.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I attended a mock caucus in Nevada and was superdisheartened with how confusing the whole formula is.

Trying to explain what delegates are, how they're calculated both before, during and after the caucus (all three of which use radically different formulas), and how the threshold concept works was a nightmare.

And that was with a room full of activists and volunteers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nanomashoes posted:

But this is a caucus, so it's a clear winner. Please try to keep up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nanomashoes posted:

A caucus is a beautiful, pure, artistic, expression of democracy. Please don't try and ruin it with silly rules that demand a scientifically precise quantification of democracies rendered.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

fishmech posted:

But this is a caucus, so it's a clear winner. Please try to keep up.

And you wonder why nobody here likes you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thump! posted:

And you wonder why nobody here likes you.

I don't wonder why sore losers don't like me.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
I don't feel the problem here is fishmech.

I feel the problem is Iowa.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Peachstapler posted:

It can be both

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Peachstapler posted:

the problem is trying to tally votes in a three-layer system

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

point of return posted:

Let us not forget that the concept of the caucus was invented in colonial America and that alcohol was essential to its operation.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Peachstapler posted:

Let us not forget that the concept of the caucus was invented in colonial America and that alcohol was essential to its operation.

We really should look at officially bringing alcohol back into the process. People are always talking about the wisdom of the Founding Fathers, but ask them where your free beer or whiskey is and they give you a dirty look.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

point of return posted:

The Bernie layer, the Hillary layer, and the Unidentified layer.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gyges posted:

We really should look at officially bringing alcohol back into the process. People are always talking about the wisdom of the Founding Fathers, but ask them where your free beer or whiskey is and they give you a dirty look.

George Washington was militantly against free whiskey, please read a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nanomashoes posted:

George Washington was militantly against free whiskey, please read a book.

He was quite down with electoral whiskey, so long as the candidate paid the proper taxes on it.

• Locked thread