Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

PaintVagrant posted:

Welp, local crusty old dudes parts store/machine shop said $30. Seems like a fuckin steal to me, Im going to bring em a box of donuts when I go to pick the arms up. Also, took a wheel and tire to Belle tire to get it mounted to test fit on my fiances car...no charge.

Must be living a karmically positive lifestyle so far this year :stare:

I had a shop charge me their $20 minimum fee and I gave them $40 because the crusty dude threw an old socket on the lathe to make a press tool and everything, local machine shops rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Reckon I could get the Chinese company that makes the harbor freight trailer to send half a dozen to the UK with the right plug on it? Wonder how much that would cost, I bet I could recoup costs selling the extras.
Half a dozen, possibly not. A hundred? Distinct possibility.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Looks like I'll be starting work on Thursday. Thank gently caress. So bored and so broke.

Congrats! I was in between jobs for 2 months about 13 years ago and I went out of my mind trying to find things to do.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Tomarse posted:

CHOCOLATE THAT TASTES LIKE poo poo

American chocolate is really bad. Hersheys tastes like vomit

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

corn in the fridge posted:

American chocolate is really bad. Hersheys tastes like vomit

You only say that because Hershey's mixes in 10-20% actual vomit as part of the industrial chocolate making process.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Safety Dance posted:

You only say that because Hershey's mixes in 10-20% actual vomit as part of the industrial chocolate making process.

How much of that vomit is made up of the sawdust the janitor threw down to soak it up?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Safety Dance posted:

Oh, how you joke, but it is actually true, though the percentages are much lower.

quote:

Everywhere but at home, American milk chocolate — specifically Hershey’s — is known for its tangy or sour flavor, produced by the use of milk that Mr. Landuyt refers to as “acidified.” Although Hershey’s process has never been made public (and a spokeswoman declined to comment on its techniques), experts speculate that Hershey’s puts its milk through controlled lipolysis, a process by which the fatty acids in the milk begin to break down.

This produces butyric acid, also found in Parmesan cheese and the spit-up of babies; other chocolate manufacturers now simply add butyric acid to their milk chocolates. It has a distinctive tang that Americans have grown accustomed to and now expect in chocolate. “I can’t think of any other reason why people would like it,” said Mr. Whinney, of Theo Chocolate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/dining/13chocolate.html?&_r=0

spog fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 29, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

People looked at me funny when I remarked Hersheys tasted like vomit. It was only years later that I found out it had butyric acid in it which makes up the stank from vom.

Not about that as an ingredient in chocolate.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Looks like I'll be starting work on Thursday. Thank gently caress. So bored and so broke.

*turns on Vape-Kampff machine*
You and your boss are out on a job site. You get in your boss' truck.
He hands you a small joint.

What do you do?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

kimbo305 posted:

Vape-Kampff

Did you do that on purpose?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

kimbo305 posted:

*turns on Vape-Kampff machine*
You and your boss are out on a job site. You get in your boss' truck.
He hands you a small joint.

What do you do?

hahaha vape-kampff this joke is a fuckin onion and I am enjoying the layers

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Printer Chat: gently caress Inkjet printers. I got a Samsung Wireless Color laser printer. Had it for 2 years now and have yet to run out of toner or have an issue printing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yesterday, I tried to mow the lawn for the first time this season. On the plus side, the lawnmower stared up with little effort beyond fresh gas and a few extra pulls. For that matter, so did the weed whacker. On the minus side, the god damned handlebars fatigues and broke off where the round tube is flattened to attach them. And I'd just drilled a new hole on the bracket to raise them a bit for my comfort. I'm sure that the increase angle contributed to the stress on the bars, but I didn't modify them at all - just the bracket. Ticked me off something fierce, as I had just strayed the back yard, which was more grown up than the front. At least I got the front done before it broke. I'll fix it with some conduit or pipe later in the week, lengths I g the bars to raise them and return them to original angle at the same time.
I did get all my tools out of the lovely little cheapie Craftman cabinet into my new big rear end Costco box, and cleaned up that part of the garage while I was at it. Plenty of room for more tools now. The little old one was overflowing.
I also made a godawful mess trying to get a used rotary I've got to free up the apex seals and build compression. ATF and oil everywhere. ATF because it tends to dissolve carbon, and got exhausted out when the engine was turned over. Oil because I put oil I The sump since I was turning it over with the starter and didn't want to mess up the bearings. I forgot to loop the oil cooler line though, and puked oil all over the floor. At least the oil pump works. Still no compression though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

spog posted:

Oh, how you joke, but it is actually true, though the percentages are much lower.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/dining/13chocolate.html?&_r=0

Those loving Italians and their gross-rear end Parmesan vomit cheese

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

meatpimp posted:

Agreed.

In other news, does Kratom make you look like you're on meth? I had a student last week that was talking about doing it, meanwhile he was agitated, aggravated, unable to focus and looked like he was ready to blow.

Like what was mentioned, it acts on your opiod receptors, so it can cause you to have similar withdrawl symptoms. Which add in being sweaty and having a runny nose and I'd 100% say withdrawls.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Those loving Italians and their gross-rear end Parmesan vomit cheese

I know right?

And all those cheesemakers and their loving beef stomach lining chunk they put in cheese, seriously, I dunno what the gently caress

It's almost as bad as the chemical found in tumors that gets added to storebought icecubes here.

that chemical being water, naturally

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

It's almost as bad as the chemical found in tumors that gets added to storebought icecubes here.

You had me going for a second.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I know right?

And all those cheesemakers and their loving beef stomach lining chunk they put in cheese, seriously, I dunno what the gently caress

quote:

Dried and cleaned stomachs of young calves are sliced into small pieces and then put into salt water or whey, together with some vinegar or wine to lower the pH of the solution. After some time (overnight or several days), the solution is filtered. The crude rennet that remains in the filtered solution can then be used to coagulate milk. About 1 g of this solution can normally coagulate 2 to 4 L of milk.

YUM!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

heres a question why the gently caress when most of the heavy engineering classes are tuesday-thursday only do company recruiters only show up on those two days during classes I can't afford to skip

i'd like to go do this "networking" and "learning what employers want" thing but its no good if i miss loving exams for them

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Half a dozen, possibly not. A hundred? Distinct possibility.

Hmm. How big's your garage? Want to go in on a business venture with me?

Also, glad to hear Father Jack finally got off that fecking island.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Darchangel posted:

I did get all my tools out of the lovely little cheapie Craftman cabinet into my new big rear end Costco box, and cleaned up that part of the garage while I was at it. Plenty of room for more tools now. The little old one was overflowing.

How do you like it so far? I really need to upgrade but I just had to buy an emergency* 70" Vizio to play video games on...

* my 10 year old Sony 1080p rear projection tv had the lamp die again. I did get to fabricobble a new shelf for the tv, too!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Hmm. How big's your garage? Want to go in on a business venture with me?

Also, glad to hear Father Jack finally got off that fecking island.
My garage is full. I'm currently trying to work out how to squeeze in a lathe (which is as old as me and my dad combined...) and it's going to be somewhat tricky.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Enourmo posted:

heres a question why the gently caress when most of the heavy engineering classes are tuesday-thursday only do company recruiters only show up on those two days during classes I can't afford to skip

i'd like to go do this "networking" and "learning what employers want" thing but its no good if i miss loving exams for them

I would hate to see what happens to you and your posting when faced with real, big boy problems like: "I have only $1000 left on my charge account and I need to cremate my Father in Law which costs around $1250 with all the death certificates I need, but the county won't release him yet so now I'm over a loving barrel until I can show the certs to the bank so I can pay for a funeral." Or "I need to come up with homeowners insurance policy renewal money plus deductible so I can file a claim to have servpro come in and basically tear a whole room apart because a man was decomposing in it for 3 months."

When you move out on your own and have nobody backing you up, poo poo gets real in a hurry.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BloodBag posted:

I would hate to see what happens to you and your posting when faced with real, big boy problems like: "I have only $1000 left on my charge account and I need to cremate my Father in Law which costs around $1250 with all the death certificates I need, but the county won't release him yet so now I'm over a loving barrel until I can show the certs to the bank so I can pay for a funeral." Or "I need to come up with homeowners insurance policy renewal money plus deductible so I can file a claim to have servpro come in and basically tear a whole room apart because a man was decomposing in it for 3 months."

When you move out on your own and have nobody backing you up, poo poo gets real in a hurry.
My problems are worse than yours, so yours are meaningless now.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Cage posted:

My problems are worse than yours, so yours are meaningless now.

Humans only have one scale with which to judge things. That scale slides, and expands to encompass one's experiences.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BloodBag posted:

im sorry i offended you by not having serious enough problems to justify triggering my depression, should i kill myself in penance or would loving off into the arctic for the rest of my natural life be acceptable?

E to head this off i'm not actually suicidal tia

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

sharkytm posted:

Humans only have one scale with which to judge things. That scale slides, and expands to encompass one's experiences.
True but I'm just saying drat give the guy a break.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In answer to the original question: Why are meetings that aren't officially important (but in reality might well be) scheduled such that they're clashing with the heavier points of your workload that are critical, and against which your performance will be measured? And occasionally stuff you know is irrelevant, but you can't get out of, yet will still impact you for what you're officially "meant" to get done?

Because your course is doing a good job of prepping you for what to expect if you become an engineer (or pretty much any other profession), probably.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

In answer to the original question: Why are meetings that aren't officially important (but in reality might well be) scheduled such that they're clashing with the heavier points of your workload that are critical, and against which your performance will be measured? And occasionally stuff you know is irrelevant, but you can't get out of, yet will still impact you for what you're officially "meant" to get done?

Because your course is doing a good job of prepping you for what to expect if you become an engineer (or pretty much any other profession), probably.

fair enough

still obnoxious when they send out emails every other day like "Here's an IMPORTANT CAREER OPPORTUNITY YOU SHOULD GO TO THIS whoops lol guess you've got midterms, too bad"

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

InitialDave posted:

Except, I think you're implying intent when there likely was none.

Enourmo - exams or not, If you can find 10 minutes at the end of one class to run over and at least grab some cards, that, if anything will at least get you SOMETHING.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ssjonizuka posted:

Except, I think you're implying intent when there likely was none.
That's what makes it such an accurate preview of what's to come.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Enourmo posted:

fair enough

still obnoxious when they send out emails every other day like "Here's an IMPORTANT CAREER OPPORTUNITY YOU SHOULD GO TO THIS whoops lol guess you've got midterms, too bad"

In order to go into academic administration, you have to have your head up your rear end at least a little bit. The person so low on the totem pole that they're scheduling recruiter visits has his or her head so far up his or her rear end that he or she re-tastes the free sandwiches scrounged from the conference room about 15 minutes after the lunch meeting ends.

e. Cat Update: My idiot cat has Teeth Fall Out Syndrome (resorptive lesions caused by exposure to feline calicivirus), so we have More Exciting And Very Expensive Extractions to look forward to, and there's nothing we can do to stop it. On the good side, this will barely affect her quality of life, and even if all her teeth fall out she'll live a long life, fat and happy, gumming wet food.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 29, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

My garage is full. I'm currently trying to work out how to squeeze in a lathe (which is as old as me and my dad combined...) and it's going to be somewhat tricky.

4x4 panda, 45' ramps, park on roof.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
how come I beat cat terrist again?

NEW THREAD: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766338

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

im sorry i offended you by not having serious enough problems to justify triggering my depression, should i kill myself in penance or would loving off into the arctic for the rest of my natural life be acceptable?

E to head this off i'm not actually suicidal tia

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick.

I fully realize this post was made in jest but gotdrat son do you need to grow the gently caress up.

I had some sympathy for you when I thought you had some real legit sadbrains but the more I see your posts the more I think you're whiny self absorbed skinned knee drama princess that would be all WHY EARTH WHY DID YOU BRUISE MY KNEE WHEN I FELL OH I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE and come running to the forums, wherever and whatever they may be, to complain about it.

Now, so that this doesn't come across that I am an rear end in a top hat (which I know fully well that I am and can be a grade A rear end in a top hat), I do have a hearts full of sympathy and will help those in true need of it.

But holy poo poo near every post you make is some sort of self pitying woe is me persecution bullshit about issues or problems that are result of environments YOU create. GUYS GUYS I THINK MY ROOMMATES ARE DEALING DRUGS WAAAAAH!!! Like, did you just pick a couple dudes off the street and say "Hey, wannabe roomies? Cool!" without knowing that said shitstains, do in fact, deal loving drugs? WAAAH I CAN'T GO TO A JOB INTERVIEW (despite still being..what...a junior) BECAUSE MY INCONSIDERATE PROFESSORS HAVE SCHEDULED MIDTERMS OH I THINK I'LL BLOW MY HEAD OFF BECAUSE THAT'S FUNNY, AMIRITE.

Suck it up, buttercup. Grow a set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tide posted:

Like, did you just pick a couple dudes off the street and say "Hey, wannabe roomies? Cool!" without knowing that said shitstains, do in fact, deal loving drugs?

i probably deserve the rest, but the complex im at has independent leasing, meaning they stick me in whatever room is free regardless of who's already there

i had no say in the matter, dude already lived here when i arrived. i didnt meet him til move-in day.

E: we can continue this in the march thread. happy february everyone.

• Locked thread