Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bucephalus posted:

If you're a fan of Art Deco architecture, go check out City Hall:

:allears:

That's art deco as gently caress! So awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I got the pleasure of my wifes E46s expansion tank failing(shock among shocks) this weekend. However, when they towed it they bent the rear lower control arm, so now I get to deal with a tow company :suicide:

They called and offered to take it and fix it. Ha ha ha.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Get some fish and chips at Piccadilly on the Canadian side, it's the best I've had (although I live far away from the sea so what do I know).

Night time they light up the falls and it looks pretty, most of the place is tourist traps but there's some gems. If you feel like seeing some crazy birds, the bird kingdom is cheap and fun.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
A short trip down river from the falls are some class 6 Rapids that have some walkways built along them and it is so worth checking out. If you are into that kind of thing.

*edit- I just remembered this was on the Canadian side

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Anybody know anything about Hot Wheels poo poo? I'm pretty sure I have to big boxes packed full of Hot Wheels cars that are all still in the packaging from my childhood, and was kind of thinking of inventorying all of them and seeing what I could get if I threw them up on eBay. Probably not likely a whole lot, but it'd be something to do. And a neat nostalgia trip.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I just saw a commercial with Danny Trejo promotes a TV show called Snaketacular, in which a snake fights a woodpecker. And it wasn't on SyFy, it was for Discovery Channel.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I just saw a commercial with Danny Trejo promotes a TV show called Snaketacular, in which a snake fights a woodpecker. And it wasn't on SyFy, it was for Discovery Channel.

Discovery is a joke now and has been for a good few years.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Looks like the PI that runs my home automation poo poo got hacked while I was away last week and now my ISP have turned my internet off for what it was doing (and now wont turn it back on until 9am tommorrow :( ). I got a lovely warning email yesterday saying something on my IP was trying to telnet to lots of addresses.

Now stealing next doors wifi so that I can get some work done, and work out how to reinstall the thing.

Not sure how to check what has been done to it, so I guess its time for a flatten and reinstall.

I have a full backup of it from a month or so ago (and backups of all the important files from last night that I could restore if needed). Not sure how I know if the full backup I have is un-tainted though?.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Don't put your Pi on the open Internet. That's a recipe for sadness.

Flatten and reinstall everything, then copy over your config files from the backup.

If you must remotely administer your home automation box, use NAT to to forward yourPi:22 to yourIPAddress:SomeRandomPortNumber and turn off password authentication. Key-based authentication only.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Cage posted:

What up. Did you also post that on facebook a week ago?

We have beer and chicken wings and thats about it.

Nope, that's me. I'm going out this week to be an IT guy for the remote offices and help these guys out with their computers. I already asked, I can't tour the cool stuff though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pi's are great until you actually try to use them for something useful that isn't a SNES emulator

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Cage posted:

Anchor Bar was the "original" buffalo wing, Duffs was voted the best buffalo wing last year. Either would be good.

I'd be down for a drink or something if you want to meet up.

We just had two 50 degree days so all of our snow is gone at the moment.

I'll mark both down on the list. I'd be down for a beer for sure. I'll be around the week of March 7th.

Bajaha posted:

Get some fish and chips at Piccadilly on the Canadian side, it's the best I've had (although I live far away from the sea so what do I know).

Night time they light up the falls and it looks pretty, most of the place is tourist traps but there's some gems. If you feel like seeing some crazy birds, the bird kingdom is cheap and fun.

Noted and noted!

Modus Man posted:

A short trip down river from the falls are some class 6 Rapids that have some walkways built along them and it is so worth checking out. If you are into that kind of thing.

*edit- I just remembered this was on the Canadian side

That is absolutely my thing. I've been on both Gauleys and love that sort of adrenaline rush. Definitely gonna check it out. Thanks!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

What's a PI? Private Investigator? 3.14? That little raspberry thing?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

T-Square posted:

Anybody know anything about Hot Wheels poo poo? I'm pretty sure I have to big boxes packed full of Hot Wheels cars that are all still in the packaging from my childhood, and was kind of thinking of inventorying all of them and seeing what I could get if I threw them up on eBay. Probably not likely a whole lot, but it'd be something to do. And a neat nostalgia trip.

I've got a few thousand of the things, but I just like having and looking at them (why, no, I don't take a few duplicates out of the packages and drive them around on my desk making vroom-vroom noises. Why do you ask?) so I don't really pay attention to the "value" of them. eBay is probably the best final arbiter of what they're worth - do a search for completed auctions for the same model and year of issue. There are price guides, but I can't speak to the accuracy of any of them.
How old are they actually (define "childhood" for you)? Age is a factor, but more often than not, the more valuable ones are ones that Mattel just happened to not make as many of. Kind of random, really.
In all likelihood, you'll get your $1 back at the very least, and $2-$5 for a lot of them, if they're more than a few years old, First Editions, etc. Treasure hunts are generally worth more.

I just buy first Editions/New Models now, and select other models that I just like for whatever reason. I'm not really a full-on Collector, obviously.

Weather was absolutely fantastic to be outdoors this weekend here in Dallas/Ft. Worth, so I picked up a load of lumber from Lowes and built myself a rolling cart/shelf for sheet goods and scraps for my shed, because I was tired of a pile of wood leaning against whatever shelves I needed to get stuff off of. Now I can just roll it to one side or the other when I need something off of the shelving. I turned out sturdy and well, but holy hell I hurt after doing it. Nothing heavy duty in terms of labor, but lots of moving about. light lifting and bending, and being on my feet. I definitely need new insoles for my work boots.

My wife in on her third respiratory infection in the last couple of months. This one had her coughing hard enough to hurt her. fortunately, worst I've gotten is a stuffy nose (knock on wood.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BloodBag posted:

What's a PI? Private Investigator? 3.14? That little raspberry thing?

I'm thinking he means the Raspberry thing.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
I think I found my new Mechanic

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bolind posted:

That must be, like, a pretty substantial bonus for you? Congrats!

Edit: Not trying to be condescending or anything, it was just that you mentioned previously that one goon's (Kastein?) tax payment was bigger than your income...

Fart Pipe, I think. And yeah, it's a huge bonus - my income was a bit higher than I expected, but still very, very low ($16k). The only reason I'm getting anything back is because I went to school last year, I'd be owing a (very small, less than $50) bit otherwise.

It's going to pay off a hospital bill, a few months worth of tolls, and bring my credit cards back down to a $0 balance - the hospital bill and the tolls are the only bills I'm late on at the moment. I've had to rely on credit cards entirely too much over the past couple of months, I finally have some decent income again - I'm averaging about $100/day with this job, in a 5 hour shift.

angryhampster posted:

I've got to finish up a couple things on ours, and that's about what we're expecting as well. Pretty happy with that number considering I posted a profit on the business this year.

I was sweating taxes on my 1099 income, but even before adding in my school expenses, I was owing less than $50 for the year - and that's without itemizing deductions, my mileage/tolls weren't enough to exceed the standard deduction.

I still haven't received a 1099 from Amazon, but I finally looked through my payment history from them yesterday - I received less than $600 from them, so they're not required to send one. :doh: Just threw it in as misc income, didn't make much difference in the end.

blk posted:

I've slept no more than 4 hours/night for the past week.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to die.

According to my Fitbit, I've been averaging about 4 hours a night in the past week. :sigh: Lots of tossing and turning.

I was so tired last night that I left work a little early (Sundays die early anyway though, and the last delivery took me way the gently caress out to Hackberry TX), came home, and went straight to bed. Still woke up at 3:00am, but just laid in bed until the sun started coming up. Doesn't help that I've been sick as hell for a bit over a week. What was weird is I remember waking up a few times and hallucinating my rear end off - usually I take benadryl or generic unisom (the doxylamine succinate version, not diphenhydramine) to knock me out, but I was so tired last night that I didn't bother. It was a bit disconcerting seeing squids running back into holes in the ceiling :byewhore:

Darchangel posted:

Weather was absolutely fantastic to be outdoors this weekend here in Dallas/Ft. Worth

Man you aren't kidding. So glad my car has a sunroof, I spent a lot of time in it over the weekend. But we'll probably have an insanely hot summer to make up for the extended autumn/no winter.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

Pi's are great until you actually try to use them for something useful that isn't a SNES emulator

I dont think our Pi setup is used for SNES.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Safety Dance posted:

Don't put your Pi on the open Internet. That's a recipe for sadness.

Flatten and reinstall everything, then copy over your config files from the backup.

If you must remotely administer your home automation box, use NAT to to forward yourPi:22 to yourIPAddress:SomeRandomPortNumber and turn off password authentication. Key-based authentication only.

It only has 2 ports open via NAT - 8080 (which is a web front end with a password that I want to use remotely), and PI:22 was already coming in via external port 222. Have now turned off the SSH rule.

Just moved it to my desk (and off the network) and it wont even boot now. looks like the SD card isnt happy.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I dont think our Pi setup is used for SNES.

Thank you thank you i'm here all week

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Tomarse posted:

It only has 2 ports open via NAT - 8080 (which is a web front end with a password that I want to use remotely), and PI:22 was already coming in via external port 222. Have now turned off the SSH rule.

Just moved it to my desk (and off the network) and it wont even boot now. looks like the SD card isnt happy.

Might be that someone found an exploit for your web frontend that allows arbitrary code execution or something. That's still a potential attack vector.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
The steak sandwich i ordered from the hotel bar last night was so good i decided to order it again tonight except its come out at half the size as before. If i was a massive oval office i'd probably complain

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So what happened after you complained?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Cage posted:

Oh my

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Cage posted:

:chanpop: :thurman: :chanpop:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Nope.

Neat thanks. Any recommendations for either?

Def checking out Niagara Falls, and bringing my passport so I can get to the Canadian side, which I hear is better?

I've never heard of Beef on Weck. Gonna have to try it.

Def checking that out. It has an observation deck too! 360° views of snow and despair sounds wonderful.

Fort Niagara isn't that far away and I thought it was kind of cool.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Might be that someone found an exploit for your web frontend that allows arbitrary code execution or something. That's still a potential attack vector.

Yeah, and 8080 is not exactly an uncommon port for people to use.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cage posted:

:derp:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This passes for humor in AI.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Your avatar? Yeah not a good example.

Everyone gets called a oval office sooner or later in AI. Mine happened a few weeks ago on fb:ai. Plus corn couldn't have set me up any better.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cage posted:

Your avatar? Yeah not a good example.

Everyone gets called a oval office sooner or later in AI. Mine happened a few weeks ago on fb:ai. Plus corn couldn't have set me up any better.

Yes, but it wasn't actually funny. You might as well have used a "your momma" joke, lol.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ozmiander posted:

Yes, but it wasn't actually funny. You might as well have used a "your momma" joke, lol.

Your mom goes to college.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Your mom goes to college.

Your mom is a BR08 shunter.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ozmiander posted:

Your mom is a BR08 shunter.

This man has the right idea.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ozmiander posted:

Sorry but :thurman: says otherwise. :smug:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Man you aren't kidding. So glad my car has a sunroof, I spent a lot of time in it over the weekend. But we'll probably have an insanely hot summer to make up for the extended autumn/no winter.

Out with my wife on Saturday, we saw a '79 trans Am, in silver, with T-tops, and of course he had the T-tops off. Who wouldn't?It was in great shape, too.

Which reminds me, I just started playing GTA V, and I've spent half the time I've been playing it just gawking at the cars and identifying what they were going for.
Franklin's car is a new Charger, of course. I've spotted the '66 GTO, late '60s El Camino, early Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy Express van, Dodge van, early Camaro, third-gen Camaro, ;70 Cutlass 9I own one, so the taillights sort of screamed out to me), BMW E46 (I think), Bently Continental Coupe (jacked one already), early T-bird, '57 Chevy (with '58 headlights, apparently), Dodge Ram pickup ('90s-'00s), Volvo wagon (Vulcan Ingot - fuckin' perfect! Ingot = brick, get it?), and parked right behind my house at the car wash - mother-fuckin' Pacer, Homes. Oh, FWD late '80s - early '90s Buick was recognizable. various generic small sedans. Oh, late model Civic coupe, I think. Ford GT. The Toyota FJ Cruiser you repo from Michael's kid. I think I saw a Land Rover LR-whatever. They do a pretty good job of evoking certain makes and models without incurring copyright. It also seems every time I see one of a particular car, there's a whole herd for a short period. They definitely go upscale as you move into the better neighborhoods.

It's gangs of fun just driving around! Stayed up way too late last night just doing that and watching the TV shows.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Darchangel posted:

Out with my wife on Saturday, we saw a '79 trans Am, in silver, with T-tops, and of course he had the T-tops off. Who wouldn't?It was in great shape, too.

Which reminds me, I just started playing GTA V, and I've spent half the time I've been playing it just gawking at the cars and identifying what they were going for.
Franklin's car is a new Charger, of course. I've spotted the '66 GTO, late '60s El Camino, early Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy Express van, Dodge van, early Camaro, third-gen Camaro, ;70 Cutlass 9I own one, so the taillights sort of screamed out to me), BMW E46 (I think), Bently Continental Coupe (jacked one already), early T-bird, '57 Chevy (with '58 headlights, apparently), Dodge Ram pickup ('90s-'00s), Volvo wagon (Vulcan Ingot - fuckin' perfect! Ingot = brick, get it?), and parked right behind my house at the car wash - mother-fuckin' Pacer, Homes. Oh, FWD late '80s - early '90s Buick was recognizable. various generic small sedans. Oh, late model Civic coupe, I think. Ford GT. The Toyota FJ Cruiser you repo from Michael's kid. I think I saw a Land Rover LR-whatever. They do a pretty good job of evoking certain makes and models without incurring copyright. It also seems every time I see one of a particular car, there's a whole herd for a short period. They definitely go upscale as you move into the better neighborhoods.

It's gangs of fun just driving around! Stayed up way too late last night just doing that and watching the TV shows.
I have way too much fun playing car dress up in that game. I have about 30 cars all modified to be :krad:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

Sorry, it was funny. Though I admit my taste in humor may be questionable.
The setup was so perfect.

edit:

Cage posted:

I have way too much fun playing car dress up in that game. I have about 30 cars all modified to be :krad:

I haven't even gotten to that point yet (no dinero - I've only just met Michael, and still doing stupid jobs with Lamar.) I did look at all the options at the custom shop when getting Michael's wife's Beemer fixed, though. I'm going to enjoy this. Had a lot of fun playing with that stuff in Saint's Row 3, and this is prettier.
I did gank one of the GTOs. If I spot a Cutlass parked, it's mine. Do I actually have to stick it in the garage, or just the driveway? I'm running out of back yard to park cars. :) Oh, I did park an El Camino in Michael's garage (as him).

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 1, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Played with the dog a little bit before I left for work. Just checked in with work to let them know I'm ready for orders, and looked down...

Shorts are covered in dog hair. Damnit. At least it'll be dark fairly soon, so people hopefully won't notice... much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Darchangel posted:

I haven't even gotten to that point yet (no dinero - I've only just met Michael, and still doing stupid jobs with Lamar.) I did look at all the options at the custom shop when getting Michael's wife's Beemer fixed, though. I'm going to enjoy this. Had a lot of fun playing with that stuff in Saint's Row 3, and this is prettier.
I did gank one of the GTOs. If I spot a Cutlass parked, it's mine. Do I actually have to stick it in the garage, or just the driveway? I'm running out of back yard to park cars. :) Oh, I did park an El Camino in Michael's garage (as him).
Actually I've only played about 10 minutes of single player so Im not sure, I do the car collecting in online. Pretty sure you always have to be parked inside a garage but I may be wrong.

• Locked thread