Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
You can choose between a new rule for the february thread! What will it be?
This poll is closed.
Don't diss the Creativision. Also "Cretinvision" will get wordfiltered to "I am an rear end in a top hat" 22 10.19%
If you talk about Papyrus you will need to refer him as Mr. Papyrus, unless the author changes the pronoun. 70 32.41%
Everyone who posts in pages before the third and after the second has to write I love videogames at least once and never talk about ponies. 77 35.65%
Do not attach pools to the thread. Pools divide the community in fatties and sportys and they are highly triggering. 47 21.76%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just chill out and accept that you're not gonna get 100% on the first run, and doing that can kind of suck out any fun the combat has in it anyway since it just becomes a trivial chore without any satisfaction or depth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I start playing a game and stop when I get bored/it finishes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some day i will play through all of grandia cause that game owns and is cute and fun and has an awesome combat system that you also do not need to stress out over cause the bosses are really easy

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I always get Grandia/Gradius confused.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

gently caress Kojima for firing David Hayter. I'm not backing his inevitable kickstarter.

I wanna know if this was a decision that came down, or of his own volition?
At some point, Kojima did say that Hayter was "the voice of Snake", and a lot of people were inclined to agree, even the Japanese people with a penchant for English.

The vocal antics that Snake required though, I think half the gravel sound Hayter had was composed of pure ham.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJam08xSDuY

I have heard good things about Stardew Valley, just released. Anyone else scratch their Harvest Moon itch with this yet?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hayter's voice was hosed and Konami wanted a saleable name they could attach to their multi-million dollar game. This was obviously before they decided they wanted nothing to do with games at all.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

im the wiiu dpad

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I'm the keyboard you're going to need banjo picks to type on.

Sakurazuka posted:

Hayter's voice was hosed and Konami wanted a saleable name they could attach to their multi-million dollar game. This was obviously before they decided they wanted nothing to do with games at all.

Yeah, but was this Konami making one bad decision, or two?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thanks to whoever bought me a new avatar!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

As I recall, Sutherland ended up doing very little voice work compared to Hayter's work in the other games.

I was hoping that with Hayter retiring as Snake, he might take another stab at screenplay writing since he co-wrote X2 and it was pretty good.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mak0rz posted:

im the wiiu dpad

i'm the power button right next to the volume controls

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I do not like new Snake's voice. It doesn't fit at all.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

bloodychill posted:

As I recall, Sutherland ended up doing very little voice work compared to Hayter's work in the other games.

I was hoping that with Hayter retiring as Snake, he might take another stab at screenplay writing since he co-wrote X2 and it was pretty good.

He also wrote a post 9/11-script for Watchmen, which thankfully didn't get used.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Hayter still does screenwriting here and there, Snake is just his hobby. There are a few movies in production right now that he has scripted for, but none of them look like they'll be particularly heavy hitters. He's been doing more small time voice acting at the same time though, doing bit parts.

e: He did voice this, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LmxXeKzbT8

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 29, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Hayter was good in MGS1 and got progressively worse until Peace Walker, where he sounds like someone doing a parody of Snake.

Also FAU your new av is loving amazing

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

is the game as cool as it sounds? you just reminded me that it's a thing that exists

it is incredibly cool as long as programming robots is something that sounds fun to you. the negative reviews all complain that you spend most of your time working on your robot programs and it's like wow, no poo poo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Healbot posted:

He also wrote a post 9/11-script for Watchmen, which thankfully didn't get used.

Could it have been worse than the actual movie?

Grapplejack posted:

Also FAU your new av is loving amazing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I start playing a game and stop when I get bored/it finishes.

Me too. For some rpgs though i get bored of fighting and just rush the story and get to the last boss and cant beat them because i've neglected everything about my characters for a third of the game.
Then i watch the ending on youtube. No regerts

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

StashAugustine posted:

Could it have been worse than the actual movie?

The movie was serviceable, if trying too hard to fit the comic in frame by frame.

It's miles ahead of what Hayter wrote.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Healbot posted:

The movie was serviceable, if trying too hard to fit the comic in frame by frame.

It's miles ahead of what Hayter wrote.

Was his the one where it ends with Laurie and Dan in the "real" world?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Grimace posted:

Hayter still does screenwriting here and there, Snake is just his hobby. There are a few movies in production right now that he has scripted for, but none of them look like they'll be particularly heavy hitters. He's been doing more small time voice acting at the same time though, doing bit parts.

e: He did voice this, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LmxXeKzbT8

He doesn't sound too bad here, but yeah, it's not quite MGS1.

Then again, that was 20 years ago...

VideoGames posted:

Thanks to whoever bought me a new avatar!

It looks familiar and awesome.
It also makes me want to play Kirby 64 for some reason...

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
rest in peace in half a day, leap month thread

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I hope we have a really great March thread. This one nearly went on the wrong side of the tracks.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

VideoGames posted:

I hope we have a really great March thread. This one nearly went on the wrong side of the tracks.

New av is v nice

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

New av is v nice

Does anyone know what it's from? I've no clue. Woke up to find it!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
May I suggest a name for the new thread:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I’m trying to think of some play on “the Long March to Freedom” but it’s the long march to Dark Souls 3, which comes out in April, you see.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ill make the march thread. its my time to shine. i will not be passed over again as i was befre

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

VideoGames posted:

Does anyone know what it's from? I've no clue. Woke up to find it!

Touhou Puppet Dance Performance

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQeOYi3Be5Y

Eeesh.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

yours for only $3000 :laugh:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Stux posted:

ill make the march thread. its my time to shine. i will not be passed over again as i was befre

I believe in you, Stux :patriot:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Too bad the Hololens is kind of janky because I like the idea of AR better than VR.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i like my gaming like i like my fridays. casual.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

I'll believe this when I see it!!!!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

muscles like this? posted:

Too bad the Hololens is kind of janky because I like the idea of AR better than VR.

AR is a very cool concept, but in terms of making genuine games for it it's waaaaaaaaaay more limited. The stuff they made for the Vita and 3DS (and probably smartphones these days) is basically the kind of thing you can expect and can't go massively further. Whereas VR can potentially be used with a far wider variety of games.

AR is sure to get a few standout gimmick games, but VR has way more potential as an actual way of gaming. Not that I think either one will take off or see much support any time soon.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ill mkae it now. i'll do it and beat the unbelievers to it. n

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ohhhhhh heck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its ready