Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

What party is going to kick the loyalists out of Ulster and reunite the island?

At this stage a better outcome for all concerned would be to kick out the Republicans and reunite the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland :britain: Think of all the hundreds of billions of debt that could be forgotten about. And the 8th amendment would no longer be an issue. And no more Michael Healy Rae in a position of power. It's win-win-win, really.

@kustomkarkommando I think the main problem the SocDems faced when getting candidates of sufficient quality/stature was their formation relatively close to the end of the Dail term. If they'd been in existence for 3/4 years, and had had some success running candidates for county council, I think they'd be in a far stronger position. If the above discussed election outcome comes to pass however (another election in 18/24 months) it might be ideal for them. They should hopefully be in a stronger position then.

Blut fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I saw some dudes putting up a Noonan poster on a local crossroads, near where I live. It was Sarah Jane Hennelly (SDs), Willie O'Dea (FF) on Top, then I guess Noonan (FG) top of Willie (:huh::huh: I'm sorry). The way they were fiddling with one of the posters
I almost thought they were gonna take one of them down. Might see it tomorrow to see if they actually took down another person's poster. Unlikely though (? :tinfoil:).

Has anyone else heard of this "Dublin Allowance" thing for civil servants? Someone mentioned it to me today, but I can't seem to find any mention of it online. Might be BS, or as a result of skyrocketing rent for Guards (entry guards have really poo poo pay), which will be eaten by landlords anyway.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Blut posted:

At this stage a better outcome for all concerned would be to kick out the Republicans and reunite the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland :britain: Think of all the hundreds of billions of debt that could be forgotten about. And the 8th amendment would no longer be an issue. And no more Michael Healy Rae in a position of power. It's win-win-win, really.

On the other hand, do you really want to be lead by a Prime Minister who quite likely shoved his penis into the mouth of a dead pig?

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

kustomkarkommando posted:

Only a few hours into the official campaign and we may have already reached peak cringe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63XaJdZF9cU

He didn't take off that loving flat-cap when he was delivering his own father's eulogy.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

School Nickname posted:

Has anyone else heard of this "Dublin Allowance" thing for civil servants? Someone mentioned it to me today, but I can't seem to find any mention of it online. Might be BS, or as a result of skyrocketing rent for Guards (entry guards have really poo poo pay), which will be eaten by landlords anyway.

Did they actually introduce pay weighting? I know there was talk about it to cover increased living costs for the civil service in Dublin but I think the CPSU opposed it and favour across the board pay rises - though based on the less than pleasant reaction to the coming Luas strikes for pay parity that seems to be a hard enough sell for a lot of people.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

forkboy84 posted:

On the other hand, do you really want to be lead by a Prime Minister who quite likely shoved his penis into the mouth of a dead pig?

We're not to bothered with what we shove into a pig's mouth over here.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

School Nickname posted:

Do you mean this?

Young [public sector] workers seeking a home in our major cities will have 30pc of their rent paid by the State in a scheme aimed at allowing them live close to where they work. - http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/city-workers-to-get-30pc-of-their-rent-paid-by-state-34419382.html

In other news, Sinn Fein are now apparently the best supported party with under 35s in the state:

If FF/FG/LAB aren't careful they'll drive a whole generation of voters into SF's arms. All the specifically anti-youth austerity measures coming home to roost, I guess.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

That's all predicated on the under 35s voting though, which is probably not going to be as high as everyone thinks.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Where is there a glossary for the social class part?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

True, but I'd say the 25-34 year old demographic there wouldn't be half as bad at voting as the younger one. It should have a reasonable turnout %.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRS_social_grade has social grade definitions.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I wonder how much of a bump SF would pick up in the event of Gerry finally stepping aside and Mary Lou coming in, I know the last time they ran a poll on it she was preffered by over-50s to Gerry for leader

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What does republicanism mean in Ireland?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

What does republicanism mean in Ireland?

Merging Northern Ireland with the RoI to create a 32-county nation. Unionism means keeping NI part of the UK.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

So unionism means not uniting. Makes more sense than the libel law thing.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Troy Queef posted:

Merging Northern Ireland with the RoI to create a 32-county nation. Unionism means keeping NI part of the UK.

As a Northerner I get pedantic about this cause of the subtle differences in terms up here, nationalist is used for someone who simply wants a United Ireland while Republicanism is a specific strand of nationalist thought with its own specific ideological contours and history. Mostly cause Northern Republicans largely embraced a rejectionist stance that denied the legitimacy of the free state and refused participation in electoral politics north and south while we've had a separate strand of nationalist politics descended from the parliamentary IPP tradition since partition.

This is only really a Northern thing though.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Baron Porkface posted:

So unionism means not uniting. Makes more sense than the libel law thing.

I think it translates more to "maintaining the union with the UK".

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Lots of bickering about costings and "fiscal space" the last couple of days coming of the back of FG launching their Long Term Economic Plan. SF getting their licks in on FG accusing them of over-estimating available funds and fudging their numbers, gives them a chance to counter the “fantasy economics" allegations that gets tossed at them.

Fitch also announced a credit rating upgrade for Ireland which is rather unusually timed - announcing this just days into election campaigning is pretty dodgy especially considering the government's campaign is founded on "keeping the recovery going".

And in case you missed it Labour Deputy Leader Alan "AK47" Kelly lost the head with Chris Donoghue of Newstalk after they aired a one-on-one piece with controversial independent Michael Lowry, running in the same constituency as Kelly, right before Kelly took part in a three person panel discussion. This isn't the first time Kelly has gotten into bother for being a bit of a megalomaniac, a piece following him in the Sindo last week didn't exactly win him many fans and forced Burton to comment.

Which of course is a great excuse to post the recently rediscovered Alan Kelly campaign rap from the 2009 Euros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UhR2TKwwDo

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 6, 2016

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm loving these sick musical campaign ads, please tell me there are more.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

I'm loving these sick musical campaign ads, please tell me there are more.

I've only seen two others so, one for Donegal independent Tim Jackson which is a bit slick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya912HhdCHw

And one for another Munster candidate, former FF-councillor turned independent candidate for Limerick County that's more terrifying than anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV1lla0301w

I know some people are probably mortified I keep posting these but I just cant stop myself

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Please do no judge Irish politics but what independents from the country get up to. ty.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The Jackson one is pretty loving clever. Please tell me that's O'Donoghue singing himself?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Please do no judge Irish politics but what independents from the country get up to. ty.

Singsongs are infinitely better than attack ads across the Atlantic or whatever the heck they do in the UK.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

The whole Alan Kelly saga is hilarious. Talk about delusions of grandeur. The type of person who thinks its ok to say those types of things to journalists is exactly the type that should be kept far away from positions of power.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Leo went into an interview and was asked about abortion. He then whined and said abortion wasn't "health or politics"

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/more-hospital-beds-can-slow-down-staff-claims-minister-leo-varadkar-34430062.html

Apologies for Indo link but it is a good read.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cabinet posted:

Leo went into an interview and was asked about abortion. He then whined and said abortion wasn't "health or politics"

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/more-hospital-beds-can-slow-down-staff-claims-minister-leo-varadkar-34430062.html

Apologies for Indo link but it is a good read.

"independent posted:

And so I ask, as Minister for Health, what he would say to the 12 Irish women who have to travel to the UK every day for an abortion?

"It would depend on each individual."

Is there an indignity in these women having to travel abroad?

He sighs: "I really had understood this interview was going to be about health and politics."

Jesus.

Mary Lou was on Newstalk this morning and things got a bit heated when FG's Brian Hayes kept pressing her to say whether or not she thought Slab Murphy, currently awaiting sentencing for tax evasion, was a "good republican". It all kicks off about 3/4 of the way through and eventually winds up with McDonald calling Hayes a gurrier a couple of times. Murphy's sentencing is this coming friday so expect another round of awkward twisting from the younger SF-heads uncomfortable with having to tow the leadership line on this one.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Some good news. That wee baby faced fucker from Identity Ireland wound up in hospital after the scuffles at the Pegida Ireland launch thing

https://twitter.com/AitheantasEire/status/696016755592978432

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Some good news. That wee baby faced fucker from Identity Ireland wound up in hospital after the scuffles at the Pegida Ireland launch thing

https://twitter.com/AitheantasEire/status/696016755592978432

Not sure what good getting into scraps with Pegida Ireland does for the anti-racist cause.
The fact they mention far-left thugs with British accents reinforces the rumours that it was outside instigators looking for the counter-protest to turn violent.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Marenghi posted:

Not sure what good getting into scraps with Pegida Ireland does for the anti-racist cause.
The fact they mention far-left thugs with British accents reinforces the rumours that it was outside instigators looking for the counter-protest to turn violent.

I have little sympathy for a man who literally used the word "rapefugee" getting punched in the face

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Marenghi posted:

It put a racist piece of poo poo in the hospital, that's a plus.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Marenghi posted:

As has been discussed in UKMT recently, standing up to fascists & refusing to be cowed is the best tactic to turn them from a big scary to a bunch of pathetic clowns. Bullies don't like it when you stand up to them, it makes them look as tragic as they are.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Don't listen to forkboy, his "funded by UK government" av clearly indicates a foreign agent intending to cause disruption.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Brits out!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Bryter posted:

It put a racist piece of poo poo in the hospital, that's a plus.

He's a poo poo-stain and it couldn't have happened to a nicer person. But still most people I've encountered view the event with the racists looking reasonable and the counter-protest looking like violent trouble makers.

I wasn't there personally but heard from some that it was a few antifa heads obviously itching for a scrap and the organisers requesting people not to start trouble.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Rte is lodging a complaint after one of their cameraman got batoned by the guards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFv6ArDBEBY

"Ya loving free state bastard ye" ~ secret British infiltrator

Another video with a bit of a timeline:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z68yTJWXm5g

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh that is just a delight.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

PEGIDA may be somewhat odious but by escalating things to violence the "anti-fascists" came across much worse there. Physically assaulting a peaceful political gathering just makes the anti-fascists look like fascist thugs, ironically.

The near riot/aggressive behaviour towards the Gardai won't be winning them many fans either.

A peaceful counter-demonstration would probably have gathered more people than the PEGIDA demonstration, and this would have been reported on in the media. This would have been a far better option in terms of influencing public opinion.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Counterpoint: they are LITERALLY fascists.

If people are actually going to go "oh poor fascists people don't like them :(" the issue is with the people who defend the fascists, not with the protestors.

There is also the point that if there was not any violence these, again literal, fascists would just be ignored and allow to grow like the cancer they are. The spotlight is on them now and they have to defend themselves now. An argument of "We were just being peaceful" does not hold up to scrutiny. It doesn't matter how peaceful they are because at the end of the day they are loving fascists.

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 7, 2016

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

I wonder how much of a bump SF would pick up in the event of Gerry finally stepping aside and Mary Lou coming in, I know the last time they ran a poll on it she was preffered by over-50s to Gerry for leader

Oh god no Mary Lou is awful, I mean Adams may be physical incapable of telling the truth but for some reason he's less irritating that McDonald, the only worse SF politician is Martina Anderson.

I think FF aren't corrupt enough anymore its not amusing enough, they need Bertie 'sock in the hotpress' Ahern back.

Irish elections own lets hope we get some good mad independents campaigning.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some of the leaflets coming in the door are awful I mean how was that the best photo of you considering its plastered everywhere I your district ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

David Cullinane of SF got completely surrounded on The Week In Politics there. Rapid fire references to Slab Murphy, Maria Cahill, Jerry McCabe and Paul Quinn - a lot of push by Labour and FF to focus on the SF policy of abolishing non-jury Special Criminal Courts what with the madness at the weekend. This is probably only going to intensify over the next couple of days as the Murphy sentencing looms.

• Locked thread