Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Post about what you are working on or have discovered.

quote:

tg discord : https://discord.gg/qFMBQ8a

Fuego Fish posted:

Discord server for TG discussion

How about a game this month. Quote a post from a previous chat thread you liked, want to remind people of or would like to see a follow up to.

I'll start:

ThreeStep posted:

I'm on my fourth unfinished Stars Without Number sector in the last couple of years. At this point I should probably combine them all together into one complete sandbox, convert some of the material from the Traveller Bundles of Holding I just bought and try and run something on here.

Would love to read what you have done so far ThreeStep.

:toot:

Joke of the month to beat

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Shadowrun?" - "I think it's runnier than you like it, sir."

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
We probably don't need a new chat thread every month in this subforum. Judging bu the last thread, once a year would do.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Stuff I found recently:

A Delta Green (modern Cthulhu conspiracy horror) wiki named The Fairfield project.

http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/

Goon clockworkjoe submitted a shotgun scenario for the 2015 contest and won second place with Burner. :toot:

Podcast: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2016/01/genre/horror/fear-itself-burner-a-delta-green-shotgun-scenario/

Adventure: http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/burner

Loads of scenarios and ideas here: http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/shotgun-scenarios

I also highly recommend checking out the adventure Polybius (2014 first place winner) which chilled me as I read it last night. :http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/polybius

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

We probably don't need a new chat thread every month in this subforum. Judging bu the last thread, once a year would do.

Could be worth consolidating.

Facts are Useless what do you think? Rename the January thread the 2016 chat thread?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hahaha holy poo poo is this still my call?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe ask Ettin, the actual mod of TG.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You moved my thread here even though you aren't the IZ mod either jackass.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

You moved my thread here even though you aren't the IZ mod either jackass.
I do mod IZ sometimes. Also those threads needed to not be there anymore.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I think some of the older chat threads had much more movement. Dunno what happened.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Didn't one of the old Games mods not like chat megathreads?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paradoxGentleman posted:

I think some of the older chat threads had much more movement. Dunno what happened.

I'm guessing fewer people posting, fewer things to talk about what with the relative drought of new releases, etc.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I do mod IZ sometimes. Also those threads needed to not be there anymore.

Gah! Tell reasons! Coward!

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I think a lot of us got kinda turned off of the chat threads due to greatest hits overplay. However, there isn't really a good other thread to talk about how your cats interact with your miniatures or whatever, except maybe the GW Death Pool thread.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

occamsnailfile posted:

I think a lot of us got kinda turned off of the chat threads due to greatest hits overplay. However, there isn't really a good other thread to talk about how your cats interact with your miniatures or whatever, except maybe the GW Death Pool thread.

I dunno, just talk about stuff. I had pumpkin stuffing tonight and it was surprisingly good. All four other posters in this thread? Does that make me a yuppie?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just like chatting with all of you. :shobon:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

I dunno, just talk about stuff. I had pumpkin stuffing tonight and it was surprisingly good. All four other posters in this thread? Does that make me a yuppie?

Please schedule a time at your local guillotine at earliest convenience.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
A thing I stumbled across

VURT

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ravendesk/vurt-the-tabletop-roleplaying-game/description

:toot:

-Successful Kickstarter!
-Expected release summer of 2016!
-Cyberpunk base setting with flexibility for multiple generas!
-Based on Jeff Noon award winning Vurt series (Arthur C Clark 94 winner) and written with his approval!
-Using the Monty Cook Cypher system---

Wait, what? Why would you DO THAT???

quote:

Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game

by Ravendesk Games

A feather that opens a door. A door that opens out to infinite worlds. And now a tabletop RPG that lets you explore them all.

Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game is an RPG based on the visionary and hallucinatory science fiction of author Jeff Noon (who won the Arthur C. Clarke Award for Vurt in 1994). Amid the glass-strewn streets of the lethal and anarchic Manchester England of the near future, players ingest slender Vurt feathers to travel to parallel worlds as vivid, unique, and unpredictable as our wildest dreams. But they’re no mere fantasies. These worlds - and all the wonders and horrors they contain - are as a real, and every bit as dangerous, as the one you were born in.

In the Manchester, England of the future, players will square off in brutal gang fights and elude high-tech cops in pursuits throughout warrens of narrow streets; they’ll face insect-drone warfare, thought-stealing, genetic mutations; they’ll tangle with cybernetics, black market drugs (good luck with those!), DNA-shifting mathemagick, Shadow-tech, and illegal dream feathers (we’d warn you about these but you’ll ignore the warnings like everybody else does). And they’ll engage in epic battles with mythological monsters and gods who might know a thing or two about crossing over from the Vurt world into our own.

And, oh yes, then there are the worlds of The Vurt. Summoned via feathers both licit and illicit according to their hues, they’re as beautiful and varied as we can summon in our dreams and nightmares. Inside, players will discover impossible architectures with unpredictable creatures and allies, nightmarish monsters dwelling inside reconstructed and remixed myths in scenarios that—let’s be clear on this—can end in the death of those inside. Players will also find dangerous knowledge and otherworldly items in the forms of cyphers, artifacts, and oddities that can be taken back to the real world—if they’re willing to pay the price.

But we believe that, ultimately, it’s the richness and wealth of character choices that definitively set Vurt apart. We think Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game is going to resonate with a huge number of gamers, gamers who’ll be more comfortable and more adventurous playing it than any other role-playing game because it's liberating. It’s not a universe that cliches will feel at home in, and your party’s ability to smoothly transition into Vurt worlds and back is what makes Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game able to be played again and again while your characters advance to new heights within it.

Never heard of this before, also haven't heard of Jeff Noon's work before this. I'm curious. Please opine tg gents.

quote:

Who’s Behind Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game?

The best-selling Vurt novels—Vurt, Pollen, Nymphomation, Automated Alice and Pixel Juice—are today regarded as classic cyberpunk by one of the visionary masters of the genre. They’ve been hailed by critics internationally (picking up the prestigious Arthur C. Clarke and James W. Campbell awards along the way), and have been praised extensively by his contemporaries including William Gibson, Chuck Wendig and Warren Ellis.

Ravendesk Games’ quest to secure Jeff Noon’s permission to create Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game has spanned over four years of pitches, design documents, concept illustrations, and general cajoling. This year we nailed it, and after all this time we don’t think it’s be unbecoming to boast about the kind endorsement we received from Jeff Noon himself:

“The team at Ravendesk have delved into the novels with great creative passion and expertise. They've explored every aspect in fine detail, staying 100% true to the spirit of the imagined world, whilst at the same time allowing the characters and locations to really live off the page. I'm happy to be contributing short stories and other material to the gaming books. In all honesty, I think these guys know more about my novels than I do!”

“I'm very excited by the prospect of a tabletop roleplaying game based on Vurt,” Noon said. WE ARE TOO!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chat threads are good and I like them.

Also I'm really interested to see that Vurt setting, though I'm automatically biased against anything that uses Cypher.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

fool_of_sound posted:

Please schedule a time at your local guillotine at earliest convenience.

:(

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Discuss.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Plutonis, you have valuable comments to contribute and you can do better than that. No one at the moment is being a jackass ideologue, dude.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Colonial Fetishisation of dark skinned ~exotic women~, who are stereotyped as more sexual, and so more primitive, than light skinned women.
Except they're elves.

Source: I read a Zizek once, and

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Mods?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

An unforeseen problem with trying to design my own system that I probably should've foreseen: dice mechanics. The worst part is that I've spent a while bellyaching about the swinginess of the d20 but it might just be the best option for what I'm going for, which I posted about over in the Cat-Piss thread:

Harrow posted:

I'm working on a Darkest Dungeon-inspired game now and this whole issue is basically the founding principle I'm working with. (Yes, I know Torchbearer exists, but I want something with "tactical" combat and I want to poach some Blades in the Dark crew management and stress mechanics.) The assumptions are:

1. Character creation needs to take less than five minutes. Pick a class, pick a name, circle one positive and one negative trait, start playing.
2. You fill in your backstory as you level. With each level you gain, you assign skill ranks and then tell a little story about why your character is good at that thing. A character has to earn a backstory by surviving.
3. The group is playing an adventuring company, not necessarily individual adventurers. It's assumed you'll play more than one character (you can only play one per dungeon run, but if that character is injured or you just want to play a different character, you can play another). While it's inevitable that players will eventually have favorites and a character they consider their "main" character, those characters will never be immortal. If they die, or retire in "peace," it's nice to have another established character you've already been playing.

What I'm having trouble with is:
1. Do I want the GM to roll? I have a strong affection for "the GM never rolls" systems, but at the same time, having the GM roll seems appropriate for that Darkest Dungeon feeling. I almost feel like a certain amount of adversarial feeling--not that it's GM vs. players, but that when something goes bad for the players, someone did that to them.
2. When it comes to combat, how often should players hit, and how often should enemies hit, so that it feels both brutal and fair?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Geez, why would you quote Plutonis' threadshitting?

Content: I'm working on building encounters and enemies for Strike, using Roll20. Idle question, how would you use Roll20 to reflect an area slowly flooding? As in, each turn the water level rises, creating more difficult terrain and interacting with other environmental hazards? Just add more drawings to the grid? Maybe prepare maps to move the players to? I originally wanted to have the water rise and lower turn-by-turn but that would require even more work I think.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

Colonial Fetishisation of dark skinned ~exotic women~, who are stereotyped as more sexual, and so more primitive, than light skinned women.
Except they're elves.

Source: I read a Zizek once, and

I love all Elven women equally. Well Eladrin, Drow and the non-wood elves mostly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Serf posted:

Content: I'm working on building encounters and enemies for Strike, using Roll20. Idle question, how would you use Roll20 to reflect an area slowly flooding? As in, each turn the water level rises, creating more difficult terrain and interacting with other environmental hazards? Just add more drawings to the grid? Maybe prepare maps to move the players to? I originally wanted to have the water rise and lower turn-by-turn but that would require even more work I think.

Roll20 has built in public domain images including like a billion different water/pond/puddle/river ones. I'd just find one you like, plop it on the background layer, and expand/contract it each round as necessary.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Serf posted:

Hmm. While this wouldn't model a situation like New Anor Londo +/- water, Harrow's question made me think of Darkest Dungeon.

Lets take the Stress mechanic in Darkest Dungeon. A gauge rises until it hits a threshold then a result occurs.

If you didn't want to radically change tactics maps, and you wanted to model something like a slow soaking of people due to a steady downpour or gradual flooding that turns dry earth into a muddy mess then eventually a swamp; why don't you abstract it?

You have a water gauge. One is added to the water counter every turn. Player says I'm heading for the high ground, player removes X water tokens or heading for low ground add tokens.

At a certain threshold of tokens secondary effects of terrain/local environmental variables are unlocked (exploding barrel now waterlogged, cannot be lit) or there are combat penalties (sword stuck in mud, soggy clothes, loving miserable, hypothermia, etc.)

:shrug:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Harrow posted:

1. Do I want the GM to roll? I have a strong affection for "the GM never rolls" systems, but at the same time, having the GM roll seems appropriate for that Darkest Dungeon feeling. I almost feel like a certain amount of adversarial feeling--not that it's GM vs. players, but that when something goes bad for the players, someone did that to them.
2. When it comes to combat, how often should players hit, and how often should enemies hit, so that it feels both brutal and fair?

I agree with your reasoning on why the GM should roll.

For hitting: I find that outright misses are frustrating for players and in a survival-esque dungeon, you probably want to grind down your PCs slowly. I'd suggest that you have tiered hits, something like:
-Missed by more than 5: attack fails
-Missed by 5 or less: partial damage/effect
-Hit by 5 or less: normal damage/effect
-Hit by more than 5: bonus damage/enhanced effect

Maybe also include a mechanic that allows the players or particularly dangerous monsters to spend HP or some other resource to bump their attack up one tier. A system like this counteracts some of the swinginess without making it too reliable, and also promotes a slow grinding of player resources and constant progress in fights.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Harrow posted:

earning a backstory is a cool red shirt mechanic that'll make leveling feel pretty cool and I wanna see that in other things

I don't think making the DM roll is as exciting as you say it is, and while I'm not sure about how danknasty dungeon's setting, I think you could find a way to sneak unfair escalation or whatever feeling you're looking for in a way that isn't just throwing dice.

Sometimes the dice should hit and then sometimes it shouldn't.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like rolling dice when I play ttrpgs, regardless of which side of the screen I'm on. I say let the GMs roll, damnit

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Countblanc posted:

I like rolling dice when I play ttrpgs, regardless of which side of the screen I'm on. I say let the GMs roll, damnit

You know those weird extended sequences you get sometimes where the dm is just shouting at himself because they accidentally put two NPCS in the same room? Because I feel like it's like that but every time the dm just looks at the dice and goes "Oh you're not gonna like that one bit, Steve!" or worse for the tone of this I guess would be a cool thing almost happening but not

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

I agree with your reasoning on why the GM should roll.

For hitting: I find that outright misses are frustrating for players and in a survival-esque dungeon, you probably want to grind down your PCs slowly. I'd suggest that you have tiered hits, something like:
-Missed by more than 5: attack fails
-Missed by 5 or less: partial damage/effect
-Hit by 5 or less: normal damage/effect
-Hit by more than 5: bonus damage/enhanced effect

Maybe also include a mechanic that allows the players or particularly dangerous monsters to spend HP or some other resource to bump their attack up one tier. A system like this counteracts some of the swinginess without making it too reliable, and also promotes a slow grinding of player resources and constant progress in fights.

Yeah, I definitely want to have a feeling of attrition--I don't want either side outright missing as often as you do in many d20 systems, so I agree that a partial success system is important.

The two things I was considering were straight-up d20 (the math is easy, but then I have to decide if I want to do bonuses or advantage/disadvantage) or to do what Blades in the Dark does. Blades in the Dark has you roll a number of d6s equal to the appropriate trait and then you take the highest. If the highest is 1-3, you fail; 4-5 is a partial success; 6 is a full success, two or more 6s is a critical success. The math works out that players are going to partially succeed very often, which works pretty well.

The problem comes when it's the enemy's turn to attack. Blades in the Dark doesn't have the GM roll, and every wound is a pretty big deal--there's no HP system, so getting stabbed in the chest isn't just 10 damage, you got stabbed in the loving chest--so if the players are able to avoid damage fairly often, that's good. For something inspired by Darkest Dungeon, I'm going for a numeric HP system (most likely). If the players roll to dodge instead of the GM rolling to hit, they're going to partially succeed on their dodges far more often than not; if the GM rolls for monster attacks, then the monsters are going to partially succeed on their attacks far more often than not. That's where that particular system falls apart for this application. It isn't very granular, and adjusting probabilities can only really be done in chunks. It can be helped a bit by giving PCs a Dodge stat that subtracts from enemy dice pools, maybe.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 2, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, I'd probably stick with a single roll over dice pool. I'm a fan of easy probability, and if you do partial successes and such the swinginess isn't too big a deal. I'm of two minds about Advantage/Disadvantage vs bonus/penalty. The former is faster and easier to remember, but has granularity problems that I sometimes find frustrating. I think a d10 with total bonuses/penalties in the +/-0-5 region works best for the kind of system it seems like you want, where abilities matter, but luck still has a major role.

As for dodge rolls, I still think that letting the GM roll for monsters: the monster got lucky, as opposed to a player getting unlucky. This A) gives the player a target to take out their frustration on, and B) imo an enemy rolling well is less frustrating than personally rolling poorly.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 2, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

No, Ken, don't do it, Noooooooo

http://pelgranepress.com/?p=20498

Another writer lost to the yiff

e: slightly nsfw

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

What's with the Dungeon Crawl Classics pants?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

mike12345 posted:

No, Ken, don't do it, Noooooooo

http://pelgranepress.com/?p=20498

Another writer lost to the yiff

e: slightly nsfw

Oh come on now, it's an Egyptian goddess, you can't write about those without dipping into furryness.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
There are furries and then there is a thing that predates it by a messiah or two. I'll give Ken the benefit of the doubt.

....despite the picture (though Egyptian women are depicted with bared breasts)

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Harrow posted:

For something inspired by Darkest Dungeon, I'm going for a numeric HP system (most likely). If the players roll to dodge instead of the GM rolling to hit, they're going to partially succeed on their dodges far more often than not; if the GM rolls for monster attacks, then the monsters are going to partially succeed on their attacks far more often than not. That's where that particular system falls apart for this application. It isn't very granular, and adjusting probabilities can only really be done in chunks. It can be helped a bit by giving PCs a Dodge stat that subtracts from enemy dice pools, maybe.

How about giving players "dodge tokens" or something, that they can spend to reduce the pool of dice enemies roll? It lets players have a chance to avoid harm whilst keeping the GM's adversarial nature in place. Players might get them back by taking a breather - camping or resting, for example. Classes that are naturally slower and tankier can have a few less tokens as they can take the punches better.

Of course that then raises the question of WHEN a player can choose to spend them - before might be chancier and feed into the theme better, but after makes decision-making easier.

Meanwhile, today I learn't that wargames have huge unit profiles and trying to make them smaller is very difficult! I wanted a fairly quick skirmish game, but even Infinity has fairly large statlines for what it is. Trying to emulate command friction and line of sight and pinning people down is tricky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ken Hite is writing about the Cthulhu mythos featured Egyptian goddess Bast in his series where he mostly writes about the Cthulhu mythos? What the gently caress has gotten into him? Hopefully his Bert, Robin D. Laws, can slap some sense into him before he makes a Hc Svnt Dracones tie in.

• Locked thread