Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lemon-Lime posted:

Did Phoenix: Dawn Command ever actually get released anywhere after the KS?

That's a really unfortunately named game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Lemon-Lime posted:

I saw copies for sale at PAX West, and wish I'd had the cash to pick one up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kestral posted:

I saw copies for sale at PAX West, and wish I'd had the cash to pick one up.

Yeah, I know he went to PAX with it, but it was due an actual retail release at some point and seems to have just disappeared instead.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
If I wanted to get into Shadow of the Demon Lord, obviously I'd need to get the corebook - but what other books are essential and greatly add to the game? It's great that it's getting constant content updates, but it makes it a little difficult to know where to start.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Doodmons posted:

If I wanted to get into Shadow of the Demon Lord, obviously I'd need to get the corebook - but what other books are essential and greatly add to the game? It's great that it's getting constant content updates, but it makes it a little difficult to know where to start.

I think picking up The Demon Lord's Companion is good, as it gives you a mess of new Paths, items, spells and monsters. Of Monstrous Mien is good too if you're gonna GM since it is all about making custom monsters. After that, Terrible Beauty and Tombs of the Desolation both offer some new races and more monsters, adventure ideas etc. Tales of the Demon Lord is just a bunch of adventures which look pretty good. And there's Forbidden Rules, which is all about variant rules that let you customize the game more to your liking, some more radical than others.

I'd say the core of the game consists of:

The core book
Th Demon Lord's Companion
Tales of the Demon Lord

Anything beyond that is really depending on what kind of game you want to run/what options you want the players to have access to.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Here it is

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Since we are talking about it.

Helical Nightmares posted:

I was listening to the Play Better Podcast, Shadow of the Demon Lord.

http://playbetter.libsyn.com/play-better-podcast-episode-67

Since Shadow of the Demon Lord is essentially not-Diablo in Mythic Europe, Ars Magica - Shadow of the Demon Lord might be a doable mashup. The Hermetic Mages are all Horadrim and near extinction or something.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thanks!

The next question is, is it worth getting? The shipping's only $9.50 so I'm tempted to actually get a copy.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I haven't played P:DC yet but I've read it end to end and I very much like what I see. Some of the antagonists are amazing -- like the memetic chant that possesses anyone who hears it, and then turns a select few of them into telekinetic murder machines -- and they can go properly hardcore with them because the PCs are expected to die a lot.

It does have an intended player/GM knowledge gap, though. I don't mind that too much since I'll be GMing if I ever get it to the table, but I know some people consider that a black mark.

The system seems fine? I haven't really analysed it, though. I was too busy getting hype for the setting and the premise. It's in the top three of my 'to run' list, along with Godbound and Fellowship.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know at one point Schwalb was going to do a SotDL setting that's "the Demon Lord invades our world, everything goes Mad Max with magic and poo poo" as part of the KS, but I haven't heard anything about it.

It's coming soon:

Kickstarter Update posted:

Godless: A World of Fire and Blood

I’m happy to report Godless is written and now in the hands of my good friend Jennifer Clarke Wilkes. I have close to half the art for the book already and the rest should roll in by the month’s end. We are pushing hard to get the PDFs of the book out by the end of December and print copies shipped in January. While you wait, have a look at all the glorious art going into this beast.

Link

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

FMguru posted:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra "Christmas Eve / Sarajevo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHioIlbnS_A

Annie Lennox's rendition of "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" (the rare version of the song that really understands what the real meaning of Christmas is - namely, the end of the world)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlsJD8RlhbI

Rad! That Lennox song is definitely going in the final showdown.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

TSO's "Wizards in Winter" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFLOh44P5z0) is less well known but I like it better. When they do it live there's a frankly ridiculous amount of pyro.

The Kinks' "Father Christmas" would be fun for the mall scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjaPXihbORk

If the bottling plant scene is creepy, it needs creepy piano: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKdjSUEHaJ0, possibly transitioning into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDB1dZLje58

Definitely needing some creepy piano. The game's signature song, "In the Hall of the Mountain King", is gonna play at all the major dramatic swings. When they encounter those naughty children cursed to live a thousand clockwork-toy lives bringing joy (and terror) to kids around the world I'll be whistling a creepy version of the Mountain King, and those piano songs are perfect backups! Wizards in Winter is exactly what I was looking for the HALO jump as our heroes and the best special ops teams in world begin an aerial assault into the contested airspace above on Kringle's Stronghold.

And there's my credit's song. Thanks for all the help guys!

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Thanks!

The next question is, is it worth getting? The shipping's only $9.50 so I'm tempted to actually get a copy.

I've only manage to get inone session, which didn't even finish the first adventure, but character creation resulted in some cool Phoenixes and the mechanics seem like fun.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I want to do an IRL game. No FLGS to recruit from. Any advice?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

I want to do an IRL game. No FLGS to recruit from. Any advice?

Look for local TRPG groups on Facebook worked for me

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Look for local TRPG groups on Facebook worked for me

Could work.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Meetup.com did good for me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Happy new year from the future year of 2017.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Just when you thought the nightmare was over, 2017 begins.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The banner I saw said "have a (thumbs up emoji) new years" so I already hate 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
It's a new year and this thread has more than enough pages, so I'm putting it to bed. New chat thread is here.

• Locked thread