Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
This is why I'm making a space-wizard in Tides of Numenera :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

01011001 posted:

The beta's out, and by all accounts, you don't have to wait.

It seems okay as far as the tutorial area and the first zone after that went, but I've yet to play beyond that because work.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

spectralent posted:

Anyone have an online tabletop to recommend that's suitable for wargaming? I've been using R20 comfortable for roleplaying games, but I want to play flames and infinity with online buds and R20's really lovely about zooming out for that so it's real hard to see a proper board.

Try Vassal

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Icewind Dale is fun if and only if you can get multiplayer to work.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

As a LG Paladin, how should I punish my child-murdering LG Cleric party member? (self.DnD)

first and most important question: what species are the children?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Admittedly 2e was almost unplayable without massive houserules or tedious workarounds. 3e is workable though.

That's a super low bar that the 3e people managed to pass, but admittedly I'd play just about any game with its combat system.

The large numbers of charms I could probably take or leave.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Yeah I read Toriko and Delicious Dungeon too

They're good but they make me hungry :saddowns:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

No actually. Anons were complaining on /tg/ about it but I haven't read it yet.

They finally move the setting forwards?

They blew the setting up completely and now it's a hybrid of 40k and Planescape where Dwarves are called Duardin and Elfs are called Aelfs for extra copyright protection.

remusclaw posted:

Is there a good hack for playing on a grid? I like 13th Age but I honestly completely love tactical style combat, it's what kept me trying to like 4E until I did, most likely because my first Console RPG loves were Shining Force games.

That game is called Strike!, friendo!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

01011001 posted:

It's not quite that bad, just kind of a disappointment given that it turned out worse than it was in playtests.

Mhm, I was still able to make Dio Brando (circa part 1) so as far as I'm concerned it's satisfactory.

If time stop was still a spell in 13th Age, well, part 3 Dio (and an alternate universe version of part 7's Diego "Dio" Brando) would've been EZ.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Courtesy of /tg/ and Ravenloft a couple days ago.

Strahd's entire descent into vampirism was a mid-life crisis.

Normal people buy a car, Strahd...

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Elfgames posted:

but vampirism makes you immortal, it's a waay better midlife crisis cure.

Now he's just trying to get with this teenage girl for centuries, and striking out every time.

Strahd, please. You are not a teenager anymore it's embarrassing us all.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

/tg/, the traditional games board on the image board 4chan, is cluttered with quest threads and they're proposing a board specifically for those threads. Quest Threads are just a less archived and more filled with white supremacist version of those chose your own adventure threads on SA. Except they don't archive, are never finished, and are bad. But at least there's a lot of them!

There's sup/tg/ and 4plebs, both of which are archival services.

We have people who pay real money to display ads of CYOAs here, which is an obvious display of superiority,

Hahaha, oh wow.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'd definitely agree it's at least different in that the inclusion of rape is done into service of its themes. Granted, I'm not really interested in exploring those themes (at least in that form, anyway), but I wouldn't lump it in with CthulhuTech or Exalted.

Where do Monsterhearts and Maid fall on this spectrum?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

Monsterhearts does not contain rape. Giving people boners does not constitute rape, and the move turn someone on only does that. I really wish people would stop saying that that is the case.

Which is why it would be nice if people put the level of rape on a scale. Like Paizo's PF has the freaky pregnancy monster and all the bestiality stuff with Lamashtu, where is it on a scale from FATAL to say, idk, Golden Sky Stories?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Since the Maids are the only ones with actual agency in that game, if any rape happens in the Maid RPG (outside of shitbird whizzards and the like) it's going to be the players raping the GM.

I can't believe I just typed that out.

*writes this down* I see, I see.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Zurui posted:

The problematic nature of the Ghoul playbook is well-acknowledged among the MH community. It's restricted from most games.

Sort of like how everyone ignores the first two chapters of Infernals

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Do what I do, and blame minorities and/or Barack Obama.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I figured it was either that or he had a (trio of) bad player(s) who played said races and now they're banned because clearly one person == all people everywhere.

This is only true of people who play gnomes

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Simian_Prime posted:

A joke??? On a humor website??? Surely you jest!

Sometimes I think TG forgets what website they're posting on.

I mean your post was not that unusual for SA Tradgames, to be quite honest!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
OPP needs to get in on this poo poo and bring back the Vampire tv show

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

Paradox is talking a TV Show for original flavor Vampire! They're also talking "Books regularly in stores' and "Transmedia property" and "Suddenly it's literally the nineties again and we're all teenagers."

Modernize this poo poo and do a Beast tv show

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

*emerges from bank vault* Now that society has crumbled after a nuclear holocaust I finally have time to play with all my games! *glasses shatter to the floor* No! Nooo!!!!

You can't play pen and paper rpgs by yourself Plutonis

That makes no sense :|

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Man, you'd think they'd insulted Elminster or something.

I honestly think Ed Greenwood is extremely dull.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Zurui posted:

Maybe an evil mage could go back in time and change history in order to enact vengeance for how Elminster didn't save his homeland from a magical disaster?

More likely they just kill off a Mystra again for the next edition change.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

So I finished Shadow of Mordor and the ending sucked immense amounts of rear end. Honestly the last fourth or fifth of the game was pretty bad in terms of story and pacing, but the final boss and the ending cutscene put a damper on my enjoyment of the game.

A loving sequel bait. Ugh.

For all its flaws, the Nemesis system lived up to the hype 100%

Simian_Prime posted:

I look forward to seeing the Nemesis Engine when it's applied to other genres. It would be prime for an urban vampire-hunter game; imagine vampires with different powers, personalities and grudges emerging as you run around staking them in an urban hellhole.

Vampires are also very likely to come back from apparent death, something vital for the system to actually work as intended.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I usually just make up my backstory as I go along. Like we were deciding what to do with a gang of street urchins.

Another player asks: "What do we even do with a bunch of unwanted children" and my priest PC responded: "You send them to the temples!" in a really bitter voice, and then acting glum.

And then everyone at the table looked at me and said "this explains so much about your character."

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Next from Monte Cook: and innovative game in which you play a demigods, resurrected as from a long sleep to claim their rightful rule over and anime and wuxia inspired fantasy world. The game will feature a unique dice system in which players roll many dice, instead of a single d20 with a modifier, and many of the highly modular powers influence the number of dice you may roll, instead of giving boring bonuses.

That already came out last June!!!

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/186171/Gods-of-the-Fall

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

So I finally ordered and received my hardcover of Godbound, and holy poo poo do I want to run or play this thing now. The setting is magnificent, and the rules look way more workable than I had expected with "OSR Exalted."

It's neat and a useful idea mine for Exalted games too

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Let me put it this way. Ever since it came out, someone on /tg/ has a Godbound general thread up three days a week every week. At least competitive with the frequency of the Exalted general thread.

Lot of love for Godbound

Most of the time it's just that troll OP tho

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Creation is pretty sparse on 3E as well. Unlike the maps from 2E , you have a lot of empty places where you can just come up with your own poo poo (like I do)

I do like all the new places though, especially the Dreaming Sea.

I'm sad that a lot of the stuff in the leak was cut for space though.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Serf posted:

Dungeons and Dragons is changing how it makes books

The concept is interesting, but has been done before.

Also, lol at the idea that they are changing anything. They're just not making books anymore.

A book where Volo and Elminster exchange barbs while explaining the setting? Bold new direction....

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

Hm yes let's see the context on this.

Oh it was a joke at Monte Cook's expense, :ms:

So either you didn't actually read those logs, which is what I'm betting because you seem averse to reading anything that isn't ten thousand words on Elminster, or you're intentionally lying about what I said because you're so desperate to make me look like A Bad Person even though everyone here knows I'm actually A Cool Guy.

To be fair, becoming quickly outraged on limited-to-deliberately-misleading context is kind of our bread and butter here.

In the voice of Monsoon from Metal Gear Rising Revengeance: "It's just nature running its course!"

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

I think we can all agree that Forgotten Realms is the most boring D&D setting at the very least, seriously I can't comprehend how it ever became so popular

Because Greyhawk was even more most boring

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Oh my mistake, it never happens here, especially not like less than ten posts up.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
My life is pretty good, I'm happier, more active, and I'm working hard on getting fit.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I will join the Discord that is free of bizarre internal drama, and the inexplicable baggage that comes from, of all things, discussing games of pretend on an internet forum

So basically a chat that outsources all its members from, I don't know, reddit or 9gag or some poo poo.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

That is one hell of a null set you've got there.

to be fair, I did say "I don't know"

FactsAreUseless posted:

Haha, yeah, I totally see what you -- *looks at this thread* My decision was correct.

*nods*

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

What is the most interesting dwarves in a trpg setting? What's the most interesting hot take on the hairy little drunkards?

Warhammer Dwarves, due to their malignant obsession with revenge.

Escapades include starting a devastating war with the Elven empire because the Phoenix King shaved the beard off of one of their emissaries, burning down the palace an Imperial Nobleman commissioned from them because the guy shortchanged them by two gold pieces, and starting a decades long feud with a Brettonian noble house because a knight who rescued a fair dwarven maiden carelessly implied that she was fat.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Don't listen to Plutonis, as usual. Trigun is a comedy, and Battle Angel is... depressing at times.

Also I haven't watched all of Ergo Proxy but I'd say probably not. It ventures off into weird fairly early.

A show you're more likely to enjoy is Psycho-Pass.

I keep telling everyone this, but the Trigun manga is legitimately a much better developed sci-fi story than the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

NachtSieger posted:

Reading this is intensely setting off my internal "this is a stupid right wing metaphor for those darn SJWs and illegal immigrants :bahgawd:".

How can you get an anti-immigration message from something as innocent as orc genocide :psyduck:

• Locked thread