Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Didn't one of the old Games mods not like chat megathreads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just like chatting with all of you. :shobon:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Some of you may remember a few months ago I mentioned how I was going to a local convention where a game called Hoard the Spoils was being demoed. You may remember it from its terrible kickstarter, or the fact that it's a libertarian RPG where you play brave adventurers trying to keep the mean ol' gummit from seizing your hard-earned murderhobo profits.

Well, the convention was this weekend. Nobody played in his demos (which I can't ride him for much; nobody showed up for my Night Witches or WWW games), but in the dealer hall nobody talked to him or was at his table at any point I wandered past.

This is how many copies he had.

The next table over was for a horror storygame called Ten Candles that was doing really well and giving a lot of demos, so I'm sure that just made the Spoils guy feel even worse.

I knew just from the KS preview that his game was going to be hot garbage, so I didn't touch the poop as it were, but that said I think I may be the only person who acquired a copy of the game over the whole weekend. And I didn't even pay for it; the con had a "play events/games, get achievement points, trade in points for swag" thing going on, and at the end of the weekend that was the only thing I was interested in that was left.

I paid zero dollars for this game, and I feel profoundly ripped off.

This is the introduction:

quote:

Explorers have faced a lot of different kinds of enemies from bandits to master wizards who use fear, intimidation as well as magic, but a new threat rises to strip the people of their freedoms willingly. Charming the masses with a form of brotherhood from charlatans who want to control the people and to demonize or kill anyone who won’t fall in line: this collective of wannabe emperors will be looking for ways to do this and it will be up the players how they deal with this power struggle. Since the explorers could either stand in their way or join the ranks the New Republic will use their guilds as scapegoats by calling them hoarders and redistributing their wealth to the poor. Which will in turn make them look like heroes in the eyes of the people and the hoarders will become the villains

This fight isn’t about good versus evil either it is about perception. You as a hoarder will be perceived as evil by those who believe that you are hiding your money from them in order to keep it for yourself, however in reality they have been duped in believing a lie. You can make any decision that someone with your disposition would do: For example; winning the hearts and minds of the brainwashed masses in order to fight back, or just simply live the life of self-sufficiency and only fight back against those who intrude upon your domain.

So grab a shovel to hide your coins and items out of sight, or in the very dungeons you risked your life to earn the lifestyle that you have. You as a hoarder must adapt to these changing times and protect what you worked so hard for from the scum of the earth who masquerade as knights in shining armor.

That's the setting. That's it. That's the only loving thing in this book that isn't character creation or how to make monsters or spells.

And that's not the worst of it.

The whole book was clearly just written in a default Word doc with super-wide spacing between lines, then printed to PDF. There are tables that are clearly Office defaults. There are line breaks between headers and the colon after them. There's a list of body types for men and women; men get Washboard, Keg, and Gladiator, women get Tube (very lean), Pear (curvy below the waist), Apple (Curvy above the waist), and Hourglass.

He has poorly formatted coin conversion tables where he forgot to undo Word's auto-replace of (C) with the copyright symbol.

There's a goddamn "No Alignment?" section like he BLEW OUR loving MINDS that the game doesn't use alignment. In 20-loving-16.

The index starts at the bottom of the same page as the character sheet.

The entire book is what I'm assuming is the generic d6 system OGL fantasy content, because there's nothing else. Just make characters and play! What's that? What's the setting? What's the world called? Who're those guys trying to take over the world? Where did all the PCs run and hide to? Who loving knows?

It's just 100 loving pages of tables and generic fantasy races and skills and equipment lists and advantages and disadvantages.

I am so glad I didn't talk to this guy because I would have either laughed or screamed in his loving face.

It's been a long time since a game made me this angry.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 8, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I like how his intro (and probably everything else) was obviously written stream-of-consciousness style, with zero attempts to edit, proofread, or revise at all.
Oh there's zero proofreading here. This happens more than once:
pre:
Header

:
instead of "Header:". There's a few spots where there's just a letter, then some blank lines, then a new paragraph starting with that letter.

Slimnoid posted:

Is there at least enough mockable content to write up an F&F review?
That's the amazing thing. There really isn't. I mean, unless I can get my scanner to stop being stupid and post examples, but really it's just d6 Fantasy with two paragraphs of "setting".

e: There aren't even any credits beyond the author and illustrator.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

I dunno why you'd be angry about this EM. If the book literally has no redeeming qualities at all - no hidden gem buried under the cruft, not even enough to make it interesting or fun to mock - there's no potential to be sad about. The book is, well, meaningless and pointless.

It aggravates me because I have so many things I want to write or work on, but I'm unable to get myself to finish them. Meanwhile, this dingbat publishes a garbage RPG like it's no big deal.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

That's something right there.

What does this do in the setting, or is it just a 'let's mess with the lib'ruhls' sort of thing?

It's supposed to modify the "how much do you weigh" roll, despite the fact that the roll doesn't seem to exist in the book.

Another thing I just noticed: the listed starting ages for each race, which is "the age when they're becoming adults and their parents step aside in order for their children to develop into the man or woman they are destined to be", but there's no modifier on these ages. Every starting human is apparently 16 (for example), but the characters are supposed to be experienced adventurers who apparently have enough loot squirreled away to be a threat to the government question mark?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

theironjef posted:

If it's too short for F&F, you know it's just right for System Mastery.
Maybe? Like I said, the book is just the D6 system, poorly presented, with some decent art that has nothing to do with anything.

oriongates posted:

Reminds me a bit of Patton Oswalt's rant about Death Bed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01l1WIC9mBo
Totally and 100% correct. Especially the bit starting at 2:30. "This guy wrote 'Hoard the Spoils' and loving finished it!"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

oriongates posted:

And although the actual content sounds dismal, buying cover art, going to a con, renting a booth, actually getting product on a table is no small feat.

All of that effort for something like that.
Thing is, this was a super-small third-year con in RI that's really just a ballroom full of WarmaHordes with three hallways of vendors, game demos, and open gaming.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Captaincon?

That's the one. I was supposed to run two RPG events but nobody showed for either one.

I did get to play a bunch of board games with a cool group of guys. I finally got to play Caverna, Codenames, Student Bodies, some skyship trader game I can't remember the name of, and a few other things I can't really remember off the top of my head.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Caverna was really fun. It's just a chill enjoyable game of building a little farm and cave network, and while it's sort of competitive being a worker placement game, there's very little pressure to get the "best" setup. We played with three people and it went pretty quick.

Codenames is just goofy fun, but you need a lot of people to really make it work.

Student Bodies is a sort-of-co-op game where you play a bunch of high school students racing through a hallway full of zombies to reach a lab with antidotes for your zombie bites, then you have to fight your way back through the hallway to the fire exit...where the first person through locks the door behind them. So it's more involuntary co-op, in the "I'm going to shove you over there so you block the zombies for me, thanks" way. One cool thing in this is that if your character dies before you get the antidote, you become a "smart zombie" and can start killing the other players.

Out of those three, though, I'd go with Caverna for a small group and Codenames for a larger one. Student Bodies is still good, but you need to be pretty cutthroat.

...wow, why can't I remember the other games I played? I know I played a bunch.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

From what the guys I played with said, Caverna takes the ideas of Agricola and improves them for faster play. Like, you don't have to spend a whole turn to get one food off one farmland.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CaptainCon was...okay, but really it's main focus was the WarmaHordes tourney. The vendors were mostly minis skirmish games, there were a few people demoing the games they were kickstarting soon (one of which was a combining-mecha game I really liked and am looking forward to), and the obligatory board game library that had like eight tables.

That said, I got to try Guild Ball for the first time and picked up two teams, plus I got to play Cavenra and Codenames for the first time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, that and the fact that the mechanics were completely and ridiculously broken by the second book.

Oh, and the fact that the provided campaign assumed everyone was playing the pregens, or at least would have a party with the same one-of-every-pantheon distribution.

Oh, and that there was no "here's how the rising number of gods and monsters is affecting the world" stuff.

Plus powers were ridiculously unbalanced.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 10, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: double post

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Part Time Gods is basically Scion with better mechanics and the ability to be a god of pretty much whatever you want.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Let's see...16 point font, 1" wide margins, and 8 pt line spacing.

Just out of curiosity, I set the font to 12 point, half inch margins, and no spacing between paragraphs. The page count dropped from 179 to 85.

Also:

quote:

Ability Name: Laser Cutter
Effect: Cut a hole in a wall of 1 height
Requirements to Learn: 20 Intelligence
Requires: Laser Charge
Energy Used: 20
Actions: 2

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Can't marry if you don't have a gender, and there's stats for an artifact fedora.
You know what? Somehow...I am not surprised those two facts exist together.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I am still trying to figure out how one plays this game.
I'm sure he knows how it all fits together in his head, but he has no idea how to communicate those ideas.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just saw on reddit that there's a new RPG lootcrate thing out there. $35 bucks a month, but the first one doesn't look too bad; those are some nice clear minis and I like the little crystal props and the fountain.

I remember there's another RPG-related lootcrate out there, but I don't remember what it was called.

e: I found the other one; it was Mythoard.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 12, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

DEM KIDS WITH DER COMPUTERS
Well, to be fair TECHNOLOGY = UNIVERSALLY BAD has been built into the WoD since loving Werewolf 1e.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

As the quest for peak irony strives further and further, a multi-million dollar company that made all its money on producing addictive and absorbing games that take hours to play and generally have no set victory conditions, and has purchased the IP from the producer of even more addictive MMOs, decries modern technology and advancements. "No, seriously, we're like the good guy hacker Tradition," the founder was quotes as he pushed his VR goggles up onto his forehead and hastily shoved a pile of money into a desk drawer, slamming it authoritatively.

:perfect:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

I was just pointed to The Strange, and I hope it's decent, because it's basically TORG minus the High Lords/metaplot.
The Strange broke my heart. I wanted a Torg Heartbreaker so bad and I got...well, the Cypher system, which is so bad.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

There's some stuff in there that's like Monte Cook trying to do something similar to *World's character relationships except instead of "so-and-so owes me a debt and I intend to collect" it's stuff like "pick another player's character and when you fumble an attack it hits them instead," and also the GM Intrusion system is like if someone took a look at Fate's compels and decided to reinvent them as shittily as possible.
I had a guy one say to me with complete belief that Numenera's character connections were "better than Fate's aspects" because they tell you how the characters are related. Fun fact: the connections in Cypher games have zero mechanical weight and are just fluff. Which is fine, but games like Fate and *World make those connections matter because of the mechanical weight.

I spent the 2-hour demo of Numenera I was in doing pretty much nothing because (among a host of other reasons) I was the fighty-guy and there was nothing to fight.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Cypher System also has this weird-rear end thing where the difficulty classes range from 0 (no roll needed) to 10 ("impossible"), but you have to multiply the DC by three to get the actual target number you need to roll on a d20, because heaven loving forbid you don't use a d20.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Glazius posted:

The Vector is also described as being no mere street thug but a truly inspirational leader. Below the spoiler is how many Vector powers actually help lead people, but see if you can work it out before you peek.

One! It's level 2 and lets the Vector help someone else perform a physical action and ONLY a physical action without giving up their whole turn to do so.
Well, I think the idea is that the "being able to lead" would be part of your class or whatever they call it, but said classes are so ridiculously narrow if you take one that makes you good at leading you're going to be poo poo at pretty much everything else.

Like, no matter how good you are at glaiving you can't really dual-wield effectively unless you're the guy "Who Wields Two Weapons", but taking that class means your only "trick" is that you dual wield. If you're the guy who uses guns ("Licenced to Carry") you never get a John Woo-esque equivalent.

Oh, and since I'm here there is a "Leads" class, and even then his only options for giving (mechanical) aid are at rank 1, where he can make another character "skilled" in a single task for one action (which is useless if said character is already skilled), and at rank 4, where he gives everyone who hears his rousing speech a free effective level.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh don't worry. Now that a movie with self-aware fourth wall breaking has succeeded at the box office, we're going to be drowning in movies that are trying to cash in on those ideas without any real understanding on why it worked for the next year or so.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I think using a gaming group as a Princess Bride-esque framing device for a relatively straight fantasy story would probably be the way to go; you could mine a lot of comedy from the contrast between the ultra-badass PCs and the goonlords actually sitting at the table playing them.
That's the idea behind Zombie Orpheus' "Gamers" series of movies. They alternate between the players at the table and their characters in the game world.

I enjoy them, but the thing is that style of joke is pretty predicated on the viewer knowing how D&D works to begin with. It's very much laugh-with rather than laugh-at, but a mainstream D&D movie in that style would more than likely be laugh-at.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

Imagine me eating a giant bowl of broken glass and then eating the bowl itself
I can't, I don't know what you look like.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The "strategy guide" is basically a guided walkthrough of character creation for new players.

It's nothing really spectacular; it's like a whole book of those "what D&D class are you?" questions. You know; "you see a goblin. Do you a) attack it with your sword, b) sneak up and pick its pocket, c) pray, or d) invoke a fireball?".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A few companies sell GM screens you can slide sheets into on both sides so you can use them for any game.

I have one of these three-panel landscape ones and it's pretty useful. These are a little more expensive, but have four panels and are available in landscape or portrait depending on what you want.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh god why do I want to create a pseudo-retroclone that uses 4e style tactical abilities and Fate-esque stunts and the Cypher System's "I am an <adjective> <class> that <things>"? There's no way that's a good idea.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

...oh yeah.

Well, that makes my life a lot easier then.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Happy Read an RPG In Public Week, I guess.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'd be curious to know if this ever convinced even a single person to try out RPGs.
I think the idea is that someone would come over and start talking to you about what that weird book you're reading is?

Not that I think that'd ever happen, because generally speaking people don't bother complete strangers who are just trying to sit down and enjoy reading something at the cafe or whatever.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm going to do this at the coffee bar this week but I'm also going to put up a sign that says "Please Notice What I Am Reading And Ask Me About It" to make sure people get the point.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I am really jealous of folks who have board game bars in their cities. I don't think there's one anywhere around this part of the country.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

That is something that can happen when you bring Greg Stolze in on a project.
It's like how bringing Cam Banks in on a project will result in a die-pool-assembly system.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just saw someone on RPGNet say that he didn't like Strike! because "Rolling 1d6 for everything is aesthetically displeasing" and I honestly cannot understand what that means.

Like, I'm not upset that he doesn't like a game I like, but that sentence makes no sense to me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

oriongates posted:

Indeed. I like my polyhedrons and while I certainly appreciate the elegance of d6 only games (one of my favorite is the simple 2d6+modifiers) I do really love playing with a range of dice (one of my other favorite system is Savage Worlds and a big part of that is the ability to use different dice).

Is there a logical or statistical reason for this? No of course not. But it is a desire that exists and its not exclusive to me.

The big handful of dice is also extremely satisfying, I just prefer differently shaped dice a bit more and unfortunately the two don't really combine (or at least I wouldn't want to try and work out a functioning system which changes both the quantity of dice and the sides on the dice).
I mean, I get all that. My 13th Age group loves rolling their 10dWhatever damage when they were epic tier last season.

It's still strange to me, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

(oh boy, I sure hope you have a DM who punishes that behavior)
I found the thread.

He doesn't. :smith:

• Locked thread