Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ken Hite is writing about the Cthulhu mythos featured Egyptian goddess Bast in his series where he mostly writes about the Cthulhu mythos? What the gently caress has gotten into him? Hopefully his Bert, Robin D. Laws, can slap some sense into him before he makes a Hc Svnt Dracones tie in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't remember seeing anything about it on here but does anyone have any strong opinions on Fragged Empire? It looks interesting, it at least has a solid art direction, but I'm leery about a 3d6 system.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition and Delta Green iterate enough on the original BRP/CoC formula that it might have caused some rabble-rousing, except I don't think enough people are grogs about idea rolls to care.

Didn't some grogs flip out about luck? It helps make games less deadly if you use the optional rule where players can modify rolls with luck points.

I remember it being a sore point but people are more focused on actually getting a physical book than rule minutia right now. Sandy Petersen and Greg Stafford couping the old leadership probably helped distract people as well.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

Been listening to the first 20 minutes of the podcast Ken and Robin Talk about Stuff: 184 Snorting the Hand of Vecna

http://www.kenandrobintalkaboutstuff.com/index.php/episode-184-snorting-the-hand-of-vecna/

Highly recommended for amusing stories of roleplaying days of yore (including how to troll teenagers as a younger player, which I thoroughly enjoyed).

I didn't realize that Gurps Fantasy 2, the batshit insane setting of the Mad Lands was based on the home game of none other than Robin D Laws.

I kind of feel like half of GURPS interesting original stuff comes from him or Ken Hite. They truly are the Bert and Ernie of gaming.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Everblight posted:

Yeah but those fuckers keep winning our ENnie. :kratos:

https://youtu.be/JhnqEjM2Yxc?t=24

If it's any consolation, I'm going to add your podcast to my rotation and I'll vote for you next Ennie season. I also might buy or give you a beer at Gencon if you attend.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Libertad! posted:

One of the downsides of the D20 Glut was that masterpiece covers such as this got overlooked amidst all the dross:

So, what makes this truly a foul locale if you've read the book?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LongDarkNight posted:

Seconded. D&D surely started a fire but where it spread and how is great to learn. The former USSR and soviet bloc countries are an interesting study since they were cut off until the 90s. Is there anything about RPGs in China?

There's no domestic stuff in Hong Kong and Taiwan that I'm aware of and it never took off as a hobby in the PRC. CCG's and boardgames tend to be more popular.

The Chinese government has some laws about supernatural fiction that's on par with the Satanic Panic. The Chinese government regularly uses them to hobble Blizzard and I imagine that's a hurdle for big companies looking to enter the market.

A big problem with the hobby too is that young people don't have the free time to play and by the time they do, the educational system has usually robbed them of their creativity.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Anyone remember the thread where a dude ran through an insanely complex Star Trek space combat game? It was probably 4-5 years ago. Saw that game at a secondhand store and had flashbacks to insane speed charts and pages of rules for wild weasels.

I think you mean Star Fleet Battles.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727891&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It's essentially a Star Trek game created by the same people who get mad when NATO counters aren't included in Hearts of Iron. It's even weirder because it's still only based on TOS and doesn't even acknowledge everything that came after due to licensing.

Has anyone played A Call to Arms: Star Fleet? I played the Babylon 5 one back in college, which was pretty good, but decided against checking out Star Fleet when I saw how much the models were.

Has anyone played Federation Commander? It looked interesting and a way to scratch that grognard itch without going into the abyss of Star Fleet Battles.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 5, 2016

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

That 3-nacelled ship to the back and left is in violation of Star Trek's established physics for warp drives.

The Enterprise D in the TNG finale, All Good Things, had three nacelles but that was from an alternate timeline.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really surprised that Paramount hasn't tried to take away the rights to Star Fleet Battles. Not that they're really anything market wise but Paramount/CBS have been active in locking down the IP lately.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Atlas Hugged posted:

Did the new Traveller end up being any good?

Which version are you referring to?

Mongoose 2e was good if you liked the Mongoose version, which most people on here, myself included, did. It's just an improved and streamlined version of 1e.

Traveller5 is not that well received because it's a return to form of late 70's/early 80's simulationist game design. It was also very poorly edited at launch.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 19, 2016

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

i liked the spellplague, what happened with that in 5e

They reversed pretty much everything and it's not there anymore to my knowledge. It pretty much reverted back to the 3/3.5 status quo.

RuneQuest needs more love. Greg Stafford is pretty nice too IRL. He isn't secretly terrible, is he?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

Ken and Robin talk about working with Greg Stafford.

http://www.kenandrobintalkaboutstuff.com/index.php/tag/greg-stafford/

Dosent sound horrible. Just sound like the average Principle Investigator who will wow an undergrad researcher with "do this work and you are totally going to get into a paper no really, also I'm not paying you."

Pushy and charismatically charming.

He struck me as very much like an academic. I've heard that episode before and kind of forgot about it.

I was more worried that he was secretly like Gygax or some other person from that era who has terrible opinions. I'm pretty sure he just writes and does a lot of ayahuasca in Mexico now. He is a shaman after all.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zurui posted:

Maybe an evil mage could go back in time and change history in order to enact vengeance for how Elminster didn't save his homeland from a magical disaster?

Movie 2 ends with Cadderly screaming while beating Artemis Entreri to death atop a flying ship.

I kind of feel like a D&D movie would only work if it was made like the good Marvel movies and was just some other type of movie genre with super heroes in it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Winson_Paine posted:

Librarian is a skilled profession, they already know where to file things and even if they didn't they are pretty good at looking things up.

As someone in the library sciences, this is very true. You also have to have a master's degree to be a librarian in the US so I don't really know where any of that is coming from.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/dunge...r=brief_results

Library of Congress has subject headings for roleplaying games. Mouse Guard and GURPS even have subject headings so I don't know why someone would think roleplaying games are unknown to libraries.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

unseenlibrarian posted:

You might be surprised- RPGs don't show up much in libraries in general, but it's really not because the librarians don't know what to do with them...

...it's because they're the books most likely to vanish off the shelves and never reappear, or get 'mysteriously' lost and not returned. Like this was straight up the reason our local library stopped ordering them.

Years ago I bought some Mind's Eye Theatre books from an Amazon vendor and they were marked as being from a California library. It was pretty mind blowing to me 8-9 years ago.

My local library had that policy because there was a local book shop in my town that would take anything and sell it. It was a great source of old RPG books at low prices before the rise of Amazon and PDF vendors but it was the literary equivalent of a shady pawnshop. You could often times get newer books at discount prices too that were stolen from the local Barnes & Noble because they always paid in cash for the books. A friend of mine had to go there several times to get books that were stolen from him, point to his name in the book, and argue with them until he got them back. The owners also listened to Glenn Beck on the radio all the time so it made things even worse. They eventually retired and closed the shop before gentrification and the Internet killed their store.

It depends on local practices in the US but there are usually fine cut offs and the library will usually have you pay the cost of the book. Often times this is based on the MSRP so if it's something old and rare, you just got a book for 20-40 years ago prices. Libraries in the US do send your information to debt collectors if you owe fines so it's far from being this one trick to get free books that all librarians hate.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Monte Cook made the worst version of the World of Darkness to date. It's the equivalent of the XBOX 360 Shadowrun game in terms of ports but less than mediocre in execution. It's like a combination of STALKER and some lovely setting where vampires, mages, and werewolves are just types of people possessed by demons. I might be wrong about the mages but that's what it came down to. He is incapable of thinking outside of his own box.

This poo poo is ridiculous by the way and probably the $190 price tag.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 15, 2016

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Swagger Dagger posted:

The Numenera fanbase will fund it really quickly.

It'll fund within the first 6 hours.

I'm beginning to think Monte Cook is on the Scientology model. In order to reach the next level of gaming, one must spend $190 on a game with a vaguely white supremacist, crypto-fascist name.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There's going to be a lot of busted resin hands coming in a year or so.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

That Old Tree posted:

There was a really hilariously shilly post over on RPGnet where a Zweihander RPG guy responded to the news with "gee that's too bad; here, have a steaming pile of my WFRP knockoff's ad copy". After being admonished, he couldn't help himself and posted a Trump meme to continue shilling his game.

I'm glad I didn't back this when they were giving away the full PDF for $10. It's bad enough they're essentially making a Pathfinder of 1e WFRPG when they could be making one based off of 2e but being assholes just makes me never want to give them any of my money.

I feel like they took the 40K RPG's to as far as they could without doing any major overhauls. The fans were vocally opposed, regardless of how much of a minority they were, to any mechanics overhauls and the wargame setting isn't changing enough for them to make any major setting changes. There's also enough across all the books if you got them to run full, fleshed out campaigns. Now is honestly the best time for FFG to get out on the RPG side since GW's properties are in decline and they don't need to be putting resources into mediocre rehashes of past books.

As for Conquest, I think that's the biggest blow. LCG's print money but they're going to get L5R next year and that will probably make up the difference. L5R in the hands of FFG will probably do extremely well because it's a popular property and was mismanaged for years under AEG. It isn't to say AEG was terrible but they were constrained by their CCG model and lack of funds.

The board games are also a blow but they can easily retool what they have to other settings so there's not a big loss there. :shrug"

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have some familiarity with WHFRPG 2e from reading the corebook while trying to join a PBP once. What was different with 1e?

It's just greatly improved upon mechanically and by time. They use pretty much the same system but 2e is improved upon overall. I remember magic being much better in 2e than in 1e. Most grognards will usually only carry on about the quality of the writing, which was old school, dark humor GW but the stuff put out for 2e was great.

The time between the releases of 1e and 2e is about 19 years, so it's not like one was released right after the other, and 1e is a 30 year old game this year. 2e benefits from being made in 2005 and in the era of digital print setup.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hypnobeard posted:

Isn't Dragonlance some kind of crypto-Mormon thing? Do maybe all this stuff makes more sense viewed through that lens?

As far as I've seen, not really. Only in the sense that the writers were, still are to my knowledge, Mormons and were brought up in it. I've never been a big fan of Dragonlance because it always seemed bland.

They're probably somewhere between Orson Scott Card, dominated by it, and Sandy Petersen, nonexistent, in terms of how much it influenced their writing.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Misfit posted:

Seems like its a full-fledged campaign game for some sort of Cthulhu rpg from japan. Fascinating.

It's a description of a campaign the author ran in Call Of Cthulhu. CoC has a fairly large following in Japan and has a couple Japan exclusive books, mainly one on the Sengoku Era and the Meiji period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah! May you all roll well on the loot tables tomorrow.

• Locked thread