Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I dunno why you'd be angry about this EM. If the book literally has no redeeming qualities at all - no hidden gem buried under the cruft, not even enough to make it interesting or fun to mock - there's no potential to be sad about. The book is, well, meaningless and pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Going off memory, but sharing blood is a real loving big deal in old Norse culture (and possible modern as well in places like Iceland). Scion just had you kinda casually mix some animal blood in with your own to gain more power.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Can't marry if you don't have a gender, and there's stats for an artifact fedora.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

fool_of_sound posted:

I was just pointed to The Strange, and I hope it's decent, because it's basically TORG minus the High Lords/metaplot.

Bad news.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Bedlamdan posted:

This is why I'm making a space-wizard in Tides of Numenera :mrgw:

I cannot wait for that game to be loving awful.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A number of the D&D CRPGs are memorable for their writing and presentation, but the you almost never hear anybody wax nostalgic about the gameplay.

Tower of Doom, Shadow of Mystara :colbert:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Game of Thrones is/was (I believe it's viewership is going down) popular because human beings love sex, violence, and drama.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
That's not a German stereotype, it's a general "nerd" stereotype. Or hell, maybe both, I don't exactly know Germany's nerd scene. Point is though, that's exactly what you see in the states in any given "nerd" hobby. See also: dumb fights over which superhero is the strongest, people gettin' mad that the new Star Wars doesn't fit how they saw the lore, etc.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay, Klaus, you can play a tiefling, if you accept that every town guard, priest and blacksmith will want to burn you at the stake on sight. Because for some reason society in this polytheistic fantasy setting is structured very much like a middle ages Christian village community. Actually I think we did stumble over one main reason German nerds are so uptight about this. You US folks have way more of a distance to European history, we can't leave the house without something that resulted from it getting in our face.

Even more likely, though, is that you don't get to play a tiefling because the book says they only exist in the realm of Teuflingen which is on a whole other continent than where the campaign is taking place, and looking at the available modes of transport in the vehicles chapter, there's just no way someone with the cash to make this trip won't have anything better to do than attend the annual village fair and save the inn owner's daughter from orcs. Which is what you will be doing.

...Like, this post has probably appeared almost in it's entirety in ENWorld, Reddit, and on the WotC forums when they still existed. Just saying.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

fool_of_sound posted:

Does Cubicle 7 write decent mechanics? My only experience with them are the well-written mechanically-garbage games they translated.

The One Ring is really, really good, so it'll be fun to see how god awful this new D&D version of it is.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Yeah, it's important to note that TOR was writing explicitly to be Tolkein-esque. It's not about big epic fights and sick-nasty looting, it's about intrepid journeys and using your faith in your friends to survive brushes against the shadow. You don't have a Charisma attribute, but you do have Riddles and Songs as important skills.

The only way a D&D LotR could work is by, frankly, ditching most of the D&D aspects. And that won't happen.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

FMguru posted:

You can also do D&D-style adventuring in Middle Earth, which is how MERP did it back in the day. Just treat Middle Earth as the backdrop for going into dungeons and beating up monsters and leveling up. Instead of getting hired in Waterdeep to go down the Savage Coast to wreck a suspected temple of Bane, you get hired in Minas Tirith to go down to Umbar and wreck a suspected temple to Morgoth, that sort of thing.

Yeah, but that that point you aren't playing a LotR game. You're playing D&D with some Middle Earth names scattered about. Which is what MERP was.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The other problem is that D&D is not a hot brand that makes games instant sellers anymore. Sword Coast Legends was always going to flop - 5e crowd is not going to buy your video game, and nobody else gives a poo poo about D&D.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
If it's any consolation, the ENnies are worthless and best ignored.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The story regarding ORE that I've always heard was this: Stolze at one point worked for White Wolf. At the time, their Storyteller engine had two ways to alter difficulty: you could change the number needed to roll in order to gain a success, or you could change how many successes were needed to achieve a victory state. One day he asked the creators what the actual difference was - how do you know which to use, and where. Their response was that they had no idea whatsoever and had never done the math. And so he created a new engine wherein you could always figure your chance of success. And I'm pretty sure at least Reign even has a table telling you what those odds are.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
It is, if anything, the most prevalent philosophy, to be frank. Perhaps ironically, MOST prevalent in D&D.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I have no problem with FAE approaches, because they're not as "locked in" as D&D's scores.

The problem with stats in D&D is that 1) the flat value (the 3-18) is meaningless, and 2) they're locked into one thing. In D&D, Strength is your attack stat with melee weapons, barring feat tax. In FAE you can attack with any approach as long as it makes narrative sense.

13th Age is the only game I can think of off the top of my head that uses base stats for something other than getting a modifier, and that's because monsters can have have attack effects like "if the natural attack roll is over the target's Constitution, then this happens".

Funny enough, depending on optional rule usage, the plain attribute did stuff in AD&D/BECMI. It was how you rolled "skills." Roll a d20; if you rolled under your attribute, it succeeded.

That said I don't doubt for a moment that attributes were originally literally nothing more then a way to describe your character and mutated horrifically since.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ominous Jazz posted:

Wait, so monster hearts isn't the game about being a teenage dracula at an anime school?

It's pretty much exactly this, but for a very specific type of anime school.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Honestly the only way to do wound penalties is to do them in reverse. The more hurt you are, the more jacked up on adrenaline you are, the more alive you feel, the more hyped and in the game and focused you are. Wound bonuses.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
It also creates the failure spiral. The more you fail, the more you're going to fail. Basically, once you take one good hit, give up. It encourages a lot of kinda dumb gameplay too. I suppose it's useful if you want a game where the PCs avoid danger and risk at all costs, but congrats on your game that sounds boring as gently caress unless it's an extremely specialized one.

I'll note that I always assume PCs and NPCs work differently. Having NPCs take penalties as they get more hurt is fine (and encourages gameplay wherein players try to attack all the enemies in broad equal amounts to stack up the wound penalties faster), or do the opposite, or hell, mix them up so your PCs have to change up their tactics. But the PCs themselves generally should not have failure spirals built in.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Like I said, wound penalties can work, but the game has to be built around them; it's a specific sorta thing. I haven't played Torchbearer, but as I understand from how it plays, wound penalties could totally be a thing there, for example; the entire game is one big ticking clock to your groups inevitable demise until you get the gently caress out of the dungeon with your ill gotten goods, so having failures actually hurt you totally fits in. In general, games where combat is a) not the primary conflict resolution, and b) is generally seen as a thing to avoid, wound penalties make sense.

The problem is that you need BOTH a and b, and that describes extremely few RPGs. To be frank, the more complicated and long your combat rules are, the more likely you've made combat your primary conflict resolution, even if you didn't intend to. Lookin' at you, Shadowrun.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Really, wound penalties are something you need to explicitly write into the game - they aren't in there by default or anything - so if you're doing so, you need a mechanical reason for having them. "Because realism" is an excuse that actually reads "please drag me into the street and shoot me dead."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The real question is, which French RPGs would you mash together to create E.Y.E.???

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Playing 3.x with restrictions will forever be the most pointless thing.

If you aren't going full wacky weirdo with 3.x, just play 2e, it's what you ACTUALLY want to play.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Wait another 61 years and you can use the new Cyberpunk system!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
It's also in part that 5e became, well, partially more honest with itself, and just kinda admitted that yes, all that matters is spellcasting, and when people complain that having unique usable abilities that aren't spells ruins their verisimilitude, the answer is to just make everything a spell.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

oriongates posted:

Dragonfall and Hong Kong are definitely good, but that doesn't mean that Dead Man's Switch isn't at least worth playing as a thing to do...only thing is that you'll probably feel like you've fully explored the system after two campaigns (since a full party means you more or less get the full experience of every character archetype) so you might want to save it for last and if you still feel like playing more then go for it, it won't eat your face.

Counterpoint: Dead Man's Switch absolutely IS lackluster in comparison, and if you don't play it first, you probably shouldn't bother.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

I have high hopes for the writer behind Red Riding Hood and Wrath of the Titans.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

gradenko_2000 posted:

So Shadowrun is already on its 5th edition. Does anyone have an opinion on which one is better and/or easier to get into? I acknowledge that it's supposed to be a crunchy system and I did grab the Quickstart rules for the 4th and 5th editions for reading.

Shadowrun continues to be a game I love in spite of literally 100% of it's rules.

It's technically most likely the best and easiest to get into, which is like winning an award for having the least painful stabbing.

Supposedly there's a stripped down version in the works now.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Did you misplace a word somewhere? Which is the best and easiest to get into?

Sorry; meant the newest, 5th. But consider waiting for the less crunchy version. Or not because who knows when that'll be done???

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

The more you talk about this, the worse you look, man.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Jimbozig posted:

I think Arivia got a bit triggered

Really not helping your case here.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Countblanc posted:

i dont want to come across as a cheerleader here so this is the last i'll say of it, but jim made a very conscious effort to have equal representation between men and women (and at least one non-binary identifying individual) as well as racial groups and differently-abled people such as one autistic character and another who is elderly and wheelchair-bound in his game's art as well as in the text, features several homosexual couples, and has an essay in the back where he talks about the importance of representation in the industry. i dont think he meant anything by that

I ain't saying he's a bad person, I'm saying that's a bad way to make his argument.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Zurui posted:

This sort of argument happens in the Star Trek thread as well. People float ideas for people who are good at science fiction as those who would be good at running a new Trek series. They suggest changes and what to "strip out" of Trek in order to make it better and while doing so completely sail past the idea that Trek is all of these good and terrible things. Star Trek has its own conventions - even more than that, it has its own "feel." Judging a thing (say, Star Trek: Insurrection) based on its quality (not very good) is different that judging it on how much it is Star Trek (a whole loving lot).

Dungeons and Dragons is the same way. If you want a Fantasy Adventure Game, you can start stripping things out of (or adding things onto) D&D, but D&D isn't the parts. It's the entire thing.

Like, I'd be the first to state that I would be a terrible steward of D&D, because I'd end up making Cirno's Fantasy Game, where wizards are dunked on, rogues reign supreme, attributes are removed, anime is enforced by law, and the Underdark is replaced by almost literally Fallen London.

It'd still be better then 5e, mind you.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
YMMV. I found Fantasy AGE to be more or less "yet another generic fantasy game." It doesn't really do anything new or interesting.

It's supposed claim to fame is that non-casters can use STUNTS! Except when and how stunts activate are entirely random, and in no way in your control. So...nothing really new or interesting.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Basically, but it's also not bad, unlike most generic fantasy RPGs.

IIRC his sci-fantasy thing he plays on Youtube is actually getting turned into a setting book for Fantasy AGE, to be officially published by Green Ronin at some point (if it hasn't already).

I guess my standing point is, sure it's not "bad," but it's also not good, and I have no need to grab products I'm not really interested in.

Being mostly ok isn't good enough, especially for a generic system.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

fool_of_sound posted:

Next from Monte Cook: and innovative game in which you play a demigods, resurrected as from a long sleep to claim their rightful rule over and anime and wuxia inspired fantasy world. The game will feature a unique dice system in which players roll many dice, instead of a single d20 with a modifier, and many of the highly modular powers influence the number of dice you may roll, instead of giving boring bonuses.

Don't be ridiculous!

Monte Cook will never leave the d20.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
He is also somewhat fanatically obsessed with using the d20 and has the biggest boner in the entire industry for wizards, like, bigger then anyone in the entire industry.

He is also the moon.

But for the most part, he more or less became the "face" of 3e and more or less continues to live off that fame to this day.

EDIT: On these forums, his bigger claim to fame is talking big poo poo about INNOVATING THE INDUSTRY and then rolling out mechanics that are decades old and claiming he totally invented them, and then doing them real lovely because he's terrified of leaving his d20/D&D/simulationist design fetish behind.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Monte Cook made the worst version of the World of Darkness to date. It's the equivalent of the XBOX 360 Shadowrun game in terms of ports but less than mediocre in execution. It's like a combination of STALKER and some lovely setting where vampires, mages, and werewolves are just types of people possessed by demons. I might be wrong about the mages but that's what it came down to. He is incapable of thinking outside of his own box.

This poo poo is ridiculous by the way and probably the $190 price tag.

On one hand this is the dumbest looking loving thing possible.

On the other hand...

SunAndSpring posted:

4d10's?! Monte, you're getting dangerously off the rails here.

He's learning.

(watch as you only roll them in pairs. And then add them together.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Evil Mastermind posted:

This may be the P.T. Barnum-iest gaming kickstarter ever.

God, isn't it? Of course you want to buy it - this RPG isn't for anyone, you know. You want to be a part of that elite group, don't you? Monte Cook took DECADES of studying real life occult nonesense, like the actual Vodun religion (uh, nice one, Monte?) to create an ENTIRELY ORIGINAL system for the setting!

I think the only difference is that P.T. Barnum didn't actually buy into his own bullshit, whereas Monte Cook 1000% believes everything here. This is the most self-indulgent mess of a game I've ever seen.

It's also Monte Cook at his most Monte Cook-ish, because this looks like a horrible mishmash of other ideas that far older games have done much better, and he's still talking this up as if it's all 100% unique ideas only he's had. You've got, ooooh, let's see, yep, there's Mage, there's Kult, why, even a bit of The Secret Fire (remember that one? The RPG that claimed to have actual REAL LIFE magic?) in there. All with that incredible Monte Cook creativity.

Just check out these spoOoOoOoOoOoky character ideas!

quote:

Thom is dead, but he doesn’t let that deter him. While he knows how to restore his life, he chooses not to, because the advantages of being a wraith are many. Of course, he occasionally has issues with not existing.

Your character is dead! And can go back to life but CHOOSES NOT TO!!!

Where other then the twisted mind of Jared Leto's Joker Monte Cook could you get something so out there and magical?!

• Locked thread