Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
We probably don't need a new chat thread every month in this subforum. Judging bu the last thread, once a year would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

I dunno, just talk about stuff. I had pumpkin stuffing tonight and it was surprisingly good. All four other posters in this thread? Does that make me a yuppie?

Please schedule a time at your local guillotine at earliest convenience.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Harrow posted:

What I'm having trouble with is:
1. Do I want the GM to roll? I have a strong affection for "the GM never rolls" systems, but at the same time, having the GM roll seems appropriate for that Darkest Dungeon feeling. I almost feel like a certain amount of adversarial feeling--not that it's GM vs. players, but that when something goes bad for the players, someone did that to them.
2. When it comes to combat, how often should players hit, and how often should enemies hit, so that it feels both brutal and fair?

I agree with your reasoning on why the GM should roll.

For hitting: I find that outright misses are frustrating for players and in a survival-esque dungeon, you probably want to grind down your PCs slowly. I'd suggest that you have tiered hits, something like:
-Missed by more than 5: attack fails
-Missed by 5 or less: partial damage/effect
-Hit by 5 or less: normal damage/effect
-Hit by more than 5: bonus damage/enhanced effect

Maybe also include a mechanic that allows the players or particularly dangerous monsters to spend HP or some other resource to bump their attack up one tier. A system like this counteracts some of the swinginess without making it too reliable, and also promotes a slow grinding of player resources and constant progress in fights.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, I'd probably stick with a single roll over dice pool. I'm a fan of easy probability, and if you do partial successes and such the swinginess isn't too big a deal. I'm of two minds about Advantage/Disadvantage vs bonus/penalty. The former is faster and easier to remember, but has granularity problems that I sometimes find frustrating. I think a d10 with total bonuses/penalties in the +/-0-5 region works best for the kind of system it seems like you want, where abilities matter, but luck still has a major role.

As for dodge rolls, I still think that letting the GM roll for monsters: the monster got lucky, as opposed to a player getting unlucky. This A) gives the player a target to take out their frustration on, and B) imo an enemy rolling well is less frustrating than personally rolling poorly.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 2, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Harrow posted:

I like the dodge tokens concept. That's basically how Blades in the Dark handles armor: if you're wearing armor, you have a little armor box on your character sheet. You can check it off to avoid harm from an attack entirely, but then your armor is broken until you get some downtime and you can't use it again. Heavy armor gives you two boxes per operation, and some classes have "special armor" they can use against specific types of harm. It's a neat system, especially when you're not working with HP and a single wound can be a huge deal.

Alternatively, every time an attack misses because of your armor you check off a box to represent degradation. It helps avoid my personal RPG bane 'you fail so nothing happens'.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Harrow posted:

Today, I spent far too long at work not doing work and instead making a design outline for that Darkest Dungeon-inspired game I've been posting about. Because I have no intention of publishing this for money I don't mind wearing my influences on my sleeve, so this is basically an unholy mash-up of Blades in the Dark, 13th Age, and Darkest Dungeon.

If you feel like reading some brainstorming crap I'd appreciate anyone who can tell me which of my ideas are good and which are awful.

I should probably actually play Torchbearer some day. That's probably the best possible Darkest Dungeon tabletop experience out there, but I'm building something a little more... game-y, I think. I want that tactical pseudo-grid 13th Age combat, lightning-fast character creation, and mechanics that support treating the player group as playing an adventuring guild, rather than individual adventurers.

I've only really skimmed this so far, but it looks cool. I'll read it over more thoroughly and get back to you.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I was just pointed to The Strange, and I hope it's decent, because it's basically TORG minus the High Lords/metaplot.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
drat

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
For real though, I've only glanced and Numanera. What's bad about the system?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

As I understand it, Dungeon Fighter Online is basically a multiplayer knockoff of a bootleg Shadows of Mystara knockoff game or something but I can't speak as to how it plays because the last time I looked the rootkit anti-cheating thing made me nope right out.

It plays a lot like a beat em up. I wouldn't try it for the challenge atm though; they haven't introduced difficulty settings for story mode in the English release yet, so you're not going to see a real difficulty curve until you hit endgame (which is only like a week of play but still).

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Seth Rogen, Michael Cera

But I hate those guys!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Forgotten Realms has interesting areas. Unfortunately, virtually all DnD media takes place in or near the Sword Coast, which has absolutely no memorable features.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

have never heard of Vampire: the Masquerade.

im glad

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

inklesspen posted:

Don't engage with Plutonis.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's a bubble pipe.

Good choice.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Does Cubicle 7 write decent mechanics? My only experience with them are the well-written mechanically-garbage games they translated.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I kinda wonder how it's going to deal with LotR not really having that much in the way of magic, at least not in the way DnD style magic. Either they abandon that entirely, or else you end up with a decent variety of non-magic/very limited magic characters, which may be interesting.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, but that that point you aren't playing a LotR game. You're playing D&D with some Middle Earth names scattered about. Which is what MERP was.

But that's nevertheless what a lot of people presumably want to play, so whatever, power to 'em I guess.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

good enough for me and hell it makes me never want to play the previous ones again

Admittedly 2e was almost unplayable without massive houserules or tedious workarounds. 3e is workable though.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Goddammit I wish I could come up with a cool idea someone else didn't already come up with a decade ago.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

That's a super low bar that the 3e people managed to pass, but admittedly I'd play just about any game with its combat system.

The large numbers of charms I could probably take or leave.

:agreed:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

So, what's are some systems with a dirt simple combat mechanics? I've got rules to steal for a system I'm building, and combat is a bit of a sticking point, because players control between two to four combatants at a time. Hoping for a system without armor class, or without attack bonuses, or better yet both somehow.

How dirt simple are you aiming for? Strike is fairly close to as simple as you can make tactical combat. Much simpler and you either end up with boring autoattacks or narrative combat.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If you want to still have tactical combat and go simpler than Strike, I suggest you take cues from skirmish wargames instead of RPGs.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

I don't remember any of the terms, they all changed since it was called Sacred Cow BBQ and there's nothing quite like playing a beta to never ever ever know the rules.

Complications/tricks/ect such aren't used in the tactical combat rules.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I read Toriko and Delicious Dungeon too

Hell, same.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, so since it's been done before, I can only assume that my idea isn't radically bad, which is kind of good, I guess.

I'd see an RPG of it working on a combination of something like Chopped (where chefs prepare meals from weird preset ingredients) and that one Alton Brown show where contestants have to prepare the food with goofy penalties in effect. So first the party is given a quest to collect main ingredient, and while they're doing that, they need to look around and discover an extra ingredient or two in the locale they're hunting in. Once they do that, they need to return to the kitchen and come up with a step-by-step way of turning all three items into a dish, with twists thrown in periodically: no sugar available, only the sickly sweet musk of the toffeeshroom or all your metal knives have been replaced with primitive stone ones.

The challenges with the design of the first part:
---Making a substantial part of the session slowly hunting down the main ingredient. This needs to take a while and be challenging, and take the party through enough areas to let them come up with other ingredients for their dish.
---Detailed enough room description to alert players to potential ingredients in each scene, and interesting/challenging enough ingredients to make coming up with a dish not-straightforward.

The challenges with the design of the second part:
---Cooking rules with enough detail to make twists interesting
---A method of rewarding players who come up with innovative solutions to their twists, and clever dishes in general.

I could see the later half working with something as simple as carefully-designed PbtA hack, and could be GMed mostly through improv. The former needs more structure though, and would definitely require GM planning to make locales, monsters, and ingredients interesting. The biggest challenge imo is that it's more or less two almost entirely different games mashed together, and might be better off designed as such (Strike for adventure segments, PbtA hack for cooking segments, for example).

Said theoretical PbtA cooking game mimicking food-battle anime could be pretty fun on it's own, even without the hunting aspect. Dunno.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Trail of Cthulhu is barely different

It's by far the worst of the GUMSHOE games. Esoterrorists/Fear Itself is much better and can easily do Mythos though, just modern instead of turn of the century.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

How are they different, play-wise?

It's the same general idea, but with way less cruft appropriated from Call Of Cthulhu. Substantially fewer skills, particularly non-Investigative ones, way simpler equipment, no overly complex insanity system, ect.

It's basically way more focused on the investigative aspect.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ratpick posted:

Before reading the last couple of pages of this thread I had no idea that adventurers making food out of dungeon monsters was a thing. I feel so much better for knowing this and now absolutely want to run a game like that.

You people who are more familiar with this sort of thing, would Strike! work as a system for this?

I talked about it a few pages back. Basically Strike would work well for the adventure segment, but would take a bit of structuring to make the cooking interesting (multiple rolls for preparation, with costs/twists introducing funny new challenges they cooks have to work around).

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Math/AnyDice question: what do the probabilities look like for a mechanic of "roll a number of d6 equal to your skill. Your opponent does the same. Of all the dice you rolled, count only the single highest-facing die. Whoever has the higher one wins"

Across scenarios of same dice, and if one player has 1 more die, and if one player has 2 more dice.

http://anydice.com/program/7ff1

The big problem is overwhelmingly you're going to tie past about 3 dice.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

I don't think you should definitely recommend 13th Age, but if someone wants to play 5e they probably should be gently directed to a different system. If it's their first elfgame, anyway.

5e is decent enough as a first elfgame. New players don't really notice the problems, natural language for it's issue is less intimidating to unfamiliar players, and it's structured enough that they can fall back on the rules when roleplay fails them (a pitfall I've seen with systems like FATE). CaPensiPraxis did a few semesters of running after school 5e games for middle schoolers; you can ask him for details, but generally the system worked fine for what they were going for.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Drone posted:

Meantime FFG's Star Wars RPGs are legit good and everyone should play them.

They're ok. They have the same weird glaring issues as most of FFG's lines that are caused I think by having different designers for different parts of the game that aren't in sufficient communication. It's not a dealbreaker, the system more or less works, but they're not particularly well thought out on several levels. Disclaimer: I've only played Edge of the Empire.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ominous Jazz posted:

It's almost April; what's the chances of this thread just becoming the chat thread?

That's pretty much what was decided on at the end of last month. The thread doesn't get all that many posts anyway.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I've been having a hankering for Mordheim lately. Did the computer game turn out to be any good?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zerilan posted:

UA3's GM book is largely about getting your group to set concrete objectives for their characters, and then pacing their progress toward their goal.

I've always found that UA works much better for short campaigns at a very low power level. Higher end magic makes it very difficult to work in groups.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ya this.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

That's even better! They're offering complete pdf sets of the previous editions too, Christmas came early this year.

Does Stolze have any bad history with crowdfunding? I usually refuse to crowdfund, but I really like UA and if he can deliver, I might break my rule here.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

potatocubed posted:

Exalted2e.txt

Pretty much. Exalted 2e was almost unplayable for most of its existence, and even then a number of systems just didn't work in a meaningful way, mental influence attacks for instance.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
There's nothing wrong with properly used ability scores.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Death to derived stats/modifiers.

There's sure as hell nothing wrong with modifiers used in moderation :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

I mean like D&D's derived modifiers. Here's your ability score (that does almost nothing directly), from that you figure your ability modifier (which is the important part) that you add to other stats (which may or may not be derived from something else) to figure out if you are actually capable of something and if so how much. In a game where stats don't often shift during play it might not be so bad, but D&D is emphatically not that game.

Yeah, that's a bad use of it for sure.

• Locked thread