Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

For real though, I've only glanced and Numanera. What's bad about the system?

Balance reasons aside, it's boring and undeveloped.

Dec 26, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I cannot wait for that game to be loving awful.

The beta's out, and by all accounts, you don't have to wait.

Dec 26, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

Should I be ashamed that I demo'd D&D Attack Wing tonight and thought it was okay?

Probably helped that I felled mighty Tiamat with Magic Missile

Shame on you for having fun. Shame!

Dec 26, 2012

Ominous Jazz posted:

13th age sticks to tradition by having the monk barely be playable.

It's not quite that bad, just kind of a disappointment given that it turned out worse than it was in playtests.

Dec 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

Obviously this is on my mind as I think about anything but work at work:

I've read a lot of discussions about why hit points are bad. So what's good about hit points? I can't really even sort out my own feelings on the mechanic and it's made designing a combat system kind of tricky, as you might expect.

What are primary defining qualities of what you're calling hit points? That's a pretty nebulous question otherwise.

Dec 26, 2012

Gotcha. In that case ImpactVector covered the big one - it avoids situations where emphasis is put way more on the first successful hits than later ones because of wound effects. A secondary advantage is comparing it to something like the way you described Savage Worlds, in which a "successful" hit can still possibly not do something - unless there's some subtractive defensive thing going on, a successful (and sometimes unsuccessful depending on the system) attack always moves the ball forward.

Wound penalties vs. not really depends on what you want the flow of combat to look like, how easily you can replenish your store of whatever you're calling your not-HP, and so on.

e: I didn't see the Hyper Light Drifter bit. Be careful about using action games that rely on player reflex as your metric compared to a random number generator. It's pretty different in practice, what may seem reasonable and challenging in one can seem cheap in the other.

01011001 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 2, 2016

Dec 26, 2012

In theory it was solved by healing abilities being a thing at all, it's just that healing surges/recoveries are a considerably more elegant way to do it and aren't dependent on one guy propping everyone else up.

Dec 26, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Wait, I thought 1s already weren't automatic failures on saving throws, or did they change that at some point and I just ignored it because it's a dumb rule.

1's auto fail and 20's auto succeed on saves and attacks.

Dec 26, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

You can ignore that side of things completely and the Knight is still pretty underwhelming even for a 3.X martial class.

Pretty much. It was a well-intended start that fell short.

Dec 26, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

No, ban all Imp Zone posters and close the forum.

Rude.

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

How can I encourage other players in a game to roleplay more? I joined an in-person game for the first time in years, but nobody else seems to be interested in the roleplay part, and the GM isn't doing much to encourage it.

It's very dependent on the GM and group. A lot of groups and players really don't want to stretch that hard mentally and just want to kill orcs and whatever and that's completely fine but it's important to know what you're getting into.

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

A salami and cream cheese calzone is not medication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Hopefully he maked a trip to get some cough syrup too.

• Locked thread