Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I think some of the older chat threads had much more movement. Dunno what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

mike12345 posted:

No, Ken, don't do it, Noooooooo

http://pelgranepress.com/?p=20498

Another writer lost to the yiff

e: slightly nsfw

Oh come on now, it's an Egyptian goddess, you can't write about those without dipping into furryness.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

How are we defining cosmic fantasy? Because Nobilis seems much closer to what I'd associate with the word "cosmic" than Chuubo.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

How many RPG sourcebooks on ancient Rome or classical Greece are there?

Which are good?

GURPS is infamous for its great sourcebooks on places and hystorical periods. I hear that at one point GURPS Camelot appeared on a "Recommended reading" list for a university.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Greece/
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/imperialrome/

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

In the WoD thread Scion was mentioned, and someone mentioned that pretty much every pantheon except the Greek one was described terribly. I can see for myself that the Aztecs are apparently all bloodthirsty monsters, the exceptions being an rear end in a top hat bureaucrat and a goddess of feces ("pick a single aspect of a multifaced deity and make it its only feature" being a constant in that book) and I heard that the voudou one had some very surface understanding of the loas, but I don't know what is wrong with the Norse one and the Egyptian one.

Can anyone illuminate me? If I missed something in the other two I'd also like to know, please.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

As long as they let OPP do their thing* the rest can crash and burn for all I care. If they produce something particularly terrible I might make a clever quip on it, and that's the extent I care about oWoD.

*and we assume that Beast was a one time fluke.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Is Forgotten Realms the one with dozens of gods?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I'd be curious to know if this ever convinced even a single person to try out RPGs.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ominous Jazz posted:

Edit: if you really want new blood in elf games just find a bar with a game night and bring a one off or something gently caress

Are bars with game nights common in the English speaking world? I have seen exactly one here in Italy, and even then it only did some sort of quiz show and nothing else.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

You could probably make a decent Marvel style god in Strike. It has the advantage that the other players can play as the rest of the pantheon or different heroes, to mantain genre conventions.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I was just struck with the fuzzy remembrance of a set of rules for miniature games that had no setting attached to it and was meant to be adaptable to any army. Anyne know whatI'm talking about?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Well that describes at least a dozen different rule sets, got anything more specific about it to help narrow things down a little?

I didn't even know that there was more than one, but I THINK there was an example army that featured orcs. I couldn't swear by it though.

Effectronica posted:

De Bellis Antiquitatis/Hordes of the Things, I'm guessing.

I'll check those out, for starters.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

How is Reign by the way?

Specifically how are the faction creation and interaction mechanics?

I know nothing about it other than these mechanics exist.

It uses the One-Roll engine, which you might be familiar with if you ever played Godlike or Monsters and other Childish Things. It seems alright to me, but I'm no math wizard to suss out odds and whatnot.

Factions seem to work to me, but they do have a certain level of abstraction. There are a series of moves, like in PBTA, and you have to understand which one works for what you are trying to achieve. I imagine it gets easier after some practice.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

There's sure as hell nothing wrong with modifiers used in moderation :psyduck:

I think they mean stuff like, 13 strenght giving you +1 to any strenght related task. Which I think only exists so that the +1 stat increase you get every 4 levels doesn't immediately give you a bonus, making it mostly meaningless.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 16, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

FAE's approaches are very close to ability scores, what about those?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

But those are ability scores as they appear in D&D, not things absolutely necessary for ability scores to exist. In and by themselves, they simply describe how strong or smart a character is, don't they?

Now you got me wondering about classes where all abilities have their uses; like a fighter whose intelligence allows him to do tactical maneuvres, or a mage with spells so destructive they cannot be cast without enough constitution. Hell, such a game could not need levels at all! As your stats increase, you unlock more and different skills! Maybe even with combinations, like a very complex two-handed sword move that needs enough dexterity, strenght and intelligence to be used.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I mean, is it written somewhere that an ability score must not be equal to the bonus it provides? Can't a game have a character that has Strenght +2, and does that not contitue an ability score?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Bear with me... but this sort of sounds like how Dark Souls treats attributes.

Well, I never played Dark Souls in my life nor watched it get played, so I hope you'll forgive me for not knowing how it works. :v

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

So apparently someone decided to make Chess 2: the Sequel.
Are there any dedicated chess players here? I'd like to hear their take on it:
http://imgur.com/gJvgTWG

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

How okay would you be if your GM added a new rule when it became relevant, and not before?

What prompted this question was Dreadful Secrets of Candlewick Manor. You play as creepy orphans with creppy body parts that give you creppy skills, right? And a big focus of the game is creating relationship with people even though you are creepy and unlovable. Relationships in that game can give you boosts, but if you fail the roll even with that boost that relationship is damaged. Now, the game proposes as an optional rule that if that happens to one of your players, you award them bonus points to their Creepy Skills, representing them becoming more monstrous as they become more isolated from humanity.

If you were a player and this rule was not mentioned before it becomes relevant, which in my mind sounds like a great, exciting revelation, would you be mad that this rule was not made clear from the beginning? I'm afraid to look at things too much from my personal taste. This is all hypothetical of course, good luck finding an actual group willing to play that game.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 28, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

I say you can give people secret bonuses and twists, but not secret penalties.

In case it wasn't clear, the loss of Relationship bonuses in case of failure is part of the standard rules and is to be made clear upfront; it's the "trade in your human contact for cool powerz" that is meant to be the surprise.

Kestral posted:

Alternatively, be honest with them. Tell the players up-front that there are some mechanics that you'd like to keep invisible to them in the beginning but which may trigger during play, and you're keeping them secret because they're cool, interesting surprises that lose some of their emotional impact if you know they're coming. If you get serious pushback, talk it out and maybe reconsider this plan; otherwise, you're good to go.

This is also a good strategy.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

Where do Monsterhearts and Maid fall on this spectrum?

Monsterhearts does not contain rape. Giving people boners does not constitute rape, and the move turn someone on only does that. I really wish people would stop saying that that is the case.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

If it didn't contain questionable stuff, they wouldn't have published Safe Hearts.

On the Ghoul sheet, consecutively:
SEX MOVE: When you have sex with someone, add “having sex with [this person]” as an additional Hunger. If you already have this Hunger, mark experience.
DARKEST SELF: You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between you and the nearest object of your hunger. You will feed relentlessly. You escape your Darkest Self when someone restrains you or fends you off for long enough for you to regain your composure – at least thirty or forty minutes.

---
So while I think they rewrote that, it's 100% clear that the Ghoul isn't seeking affirmative consent.

I had actually forgotten about that part, and had not considered how those two features work together.

I concede that it can feature it, but I still think it does not deserve to be lumped together with Cthullhutech and friends.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 4, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

why do they have their swords out, the statue clearly is just greeting them in a slightly sassy manner, there is no need for violence :(

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Honestly the only way to do wound penalties is to do them in reverse. The more hurt you are, the more jacked up on adrenaline you are, the more alive you feel, the more hyped and in the game and focused you are. Wound bonuses.

That's how Chuubo does it, incidentally.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

My online games are... I wanna say 2-3 hours long.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

What are the pros and cons of using either Fate Core or Fate Accellerated? How do you judge what is more appropriate for your needs?
I am not planningo using them any time soon, I just think that it may be useful to know.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Counterpoint: This War of Mine is good.
So is Sunless Sea.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Genius the Transgression is good.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Simian_Prime posted:

That's fair enough. I'm just burned out by the WW format in general. Like, if you want to make a game about anteaters, I'd rather someone try and fail to make their own mechanics rather than see Anteater: The Anteating, where there are 5 anteater Types and 5 different Schools of the art of Anteating (and they all have snarky high-school opinions about each other). Where you gain power by boosting your Tongue stat, increasing your Tasty Ants and combine to fight the Aardvark menace, which also has 5 Types of aardvarks and 5 Colleges that all have snarky opinions about how to eat termites and so on and so on and so on

For as niche a case as this I can agree with this, but for a more generic idea I can't fault people for working within a system that works as opposed to coming up with a whole new one. It's not nearly as easy as it sounds.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I don't get it. What makes it unplayable?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Can someone remind me what has monte cook accomplished to be considered a tg personality
I know he did a world of darkness thing, what was up with that?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

TBF 2d10 is still a drat sight less swingy than 1d20.

On an unrelated note: I finally discovered a dice roller that isn't blocked at work. What'd be a nice PBP to run?

For major irony points, I recommend a game that requires no dice rolling, such as Chuubo.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I would, completely and 100% unironically, play a campaign in this world.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

So I hear tell that there is a TG related Discord chatroom in which goons hang out. Could someone be so kind as to share a link?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That being said, picking a playbook should be a "yeah, whatever" kind of decision anyway, what sounds cool. At least at the table, you're not supposed to fret your decisions the way you do, say, class and feat selection in d20. The PbPs here on SA tend to be another fuckin' story, but the PbtA culture here runs counter to the spirit of PbtA in general, IMO.

Could you elaborate on this for a second? Because to me, it seems that picking a playbook is pretty huge decision. It literally shapes what sort of story you tell and what sort of character you will play.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Covok posted:

What game is currently the sparkle in every goon's eye for now? What's the new hotness, in other words, on these forums?

I'm hyped for Scion 2e, myself.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

That reminds me: is Lemuria just a generic term for a far away continent, possibly not-America?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I can't begrudge the Oatmeal for doing what he does. People like what they like, and it's not like there is something inherently wrong about his card games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I believe that Masks is a good system for what it attempts to do.

• Locked thread