Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

katkillad2 posted:

So does anyone have any strats for AoM 6 other than a spellshielded Eternal Guardian? That's how I did it the first time, trying to do it on my Vennen Cleric but with only letting me use one of each wild card it pretty much requires a god hand.

Another strategy is Hunger of the Mountain God (get to the Ambling Mesa as an orc to get one) + any repeatable source of self damage (Hunger has an equipment for this) + Blood Aura or any other way to get Lifedrain onto the Hunger. It'll get immense very, very quickly, letting you block something and wind up with more health than you started with even after their attack, then you just counterattack and kill them. It's not as reliable as Eternal Guardian -- if one can call that strategy reliable at all -- but it does work.

EDIT: And the Guardian doesn't need to be spellshielded. There actually aren't that many uniques which can outright kill an Eternal Guardian. Fahrny can, Bun'jitsu can, level 3 Hop'hiro can, there are a few others, but there are dozens and dozens of uniques and the AI doesn't always prioritize EG if you have other valuable troops out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Zurai posted:

Another strategy is Hunger of the Mountain God (get to the Ambling Mesa as an orc to get one) + any repeatable source of self damage (Hunger has an equipment for this) + Blood Aura or any other way to get Lifedrain onto the Hunger. It'll get immense very, very quickly, letting you block something and wind up with more health than you started with even after their attack, then you just counterattack and kill them. It's not as reliable as Eternal Guardian -- if one can call that strategy reliable at all -- but it does work.

EDIT: And the Guardian doesn't need to be spellshielded. There actually aren't that many uniques which can outright kill an Eternal Guardian. Fahrny can, Bun'jitsu can, level 3 Hop'hiro can, there are a few others, but there are dozens and dozens of uniques and the AI doesn't always prioritize EG if you have other valuable troops out.

Thanks for the tips, didn't have any Hunger of the Mountain God yet but I'll probably pick them up for when I try for my last two AoM 6 runs.

This time I beat it by having Jags with 3x damage equip on board. Let the AI beat me down to 5 or less health and used Heroic Outlaw with Speed/+dmg to the face along with Soul of Battle which totals 24 damage. Then I prayed the AI didn't have a King Gabriel with dog on board since the AI wouldn't block with enough to stop the next 24 crush damage when attacking.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
So everyone knows, Enter the Dream affects all cards with dream in their name, even as part of another word. So Eldritch Dreamer is affected by its equipment.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 3, 2016

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Afgad posted:

So everyone knows, Enter the Dream effects all cards with dream in their name, even as part of another word. So Eldritch Dreamer is effected by its equipment.

If only I could get anything else OTHER THAN DREAM BEAR from that stupid dungeon

Oh and Turtle. That's all I get.

Dackel fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 3, 2016

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

malhavok posted:

So i backed this on kickstarter originally and then completely forgot everything about it, how do i go about collecting whatever it is i should be getting?

So they sent me a code and a "checksum" and they both say invalid when i try to redeem them at the store, is there somewhere else i have to input them? and what the heck is the checksum?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

If any of you are like me and have literally not sold anything in the past 5 months due to terrible prices, some of the set 3 cards have jumped up in value by 100-300%. Stuff like Exarch of the Egg for example. Also made like 2-3k selling commons and uncommons which was no where near what I was getting when arena launched, but that could be due to a lot of factors.

malhavok posted:

So they sent me a code and a "checksum" and they both say invalid when i try to redeem them at the store, is there somewhere else i have to input them? and what the heck is the checksum?

Try the support website: http://support.hextcg.com/

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Man this Ambling Bluff fight is insanely hard, I don't seem to stand a chance no matter what deck I try to build against it.

Edit: Managed to beat it, and everything after it has been much easier, not sure why that fight in particular was such a pain for me.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 4, 2016

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I really want to be running through all this lovely PvE campaign stuff (especially to get the Ardor Day bonuses) but it's like pulling teeth when the game crashes roughly once every battle or two and not infrequently during deckbuilding and other non-battle parts of the game as well. At least I managed to get through my weekly draft tonight - I crashed probably four or five times but not during the actual drafting and since someone dropped out and my opponent in the first round timed out of both matches, I ended up in fourth and got a couple extra packs for my trouble without ever winning a game through actual play.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
That's really weird, the game is incredibly stable for me. I play for hours and hours with no problems.

Goldjas, what is deck are you working from? Necrotic mage?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I backed this way back when because I really liked the idea of a PvE card game. Played a couple of battles as an Orc Warrior and I do like what I see here. Not to mention I really dig the idea of Aztec Orcs.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I do love how the Dwarves are evil only in the sense that they just like to watch stuff explode, and that joining the undead was conducive to watching more things explode bigger.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I do love how the Dwarves are evil only in the sense that they just like to watch stuff explode, and that joining the undead was conducive to watching more things explode bigger.

I gotta say it really threw me off that Orcs were good and Dwarves & Bunnies were the bad guys, but then you start playing them and...

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

malkav11 posted:

I really want to be running through all this lovely PvE campaign stuff (especially to get the Ardor Day bonuses) but it's like pulling teeth when the game crashes roughly once every battle or two and not infrequently during deckbuilding and other non-battle parts of the game as well. At least I managed to get through my weekly draft tonight - I crashed probably four or five times but not during the actual drafting and since someone dropped out and my opponent in the first round timed out of both matches, I ended up in fourth and got a couple extra packs for my trouble without ever winning a game through actual play.

Are you on Windows 10? I heard Hex doesn't get along with Windows 10 very well. Other than when their servers catch fire I don't think I've had problems with crashes in a very long time.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

That's not entirely true. They also like to see things fall down.

malkav11 posted:

Have you tried reinstalling? I've not had a single stability issue.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
How alive is this game? Player count wise.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Buller posted:

How alive is this game? Player count wise.

Hard to say, we are on like month 7 of the same PVP set and with the recent release of the campaign drafting is going to have some long queue times until we get set 4. The auction house activity definitely picked up, so presumably there are a ton of people actively playing the PVE campaign.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

IIRC Auction House activity has been on a steady incline since HexPrimal or whoever first started tracking it. The game is growing, if slowly. We'll see what February's numbers look like since it'll be the first full month with the PvE campaign.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zurai posted:

IIRC Auction House activity has been on a steady incline since HexPrimal or whoever first started tracking it. The game is growing, if slowly. We'll see what February's numbers look like since it'll be the first full month with the PvE campaign.

Yeah, the plat value of my card collection has consistently trended upward over time, even when I'm not actively playing.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

I am still waiting for better functionality (including exporting collection data) before I bother unloading anything in bulk. I pick and choose certain cards to sell here and there, but the process of selling even one card is a giant pain in the rear end.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Here's my quick and dirty race/class opinions for any newbies. This really only applies for anyone who feels twitchy if they aren't super-optimized; you get far more impact from having a good deck and playing well than from any racial ability, so don't sweat it and go with whatever you like.

Clerics
Cleric hinges on lots of self-heals and buffs. Generally, self-healing in CCGs is considered a newbie trap; experienced players instead focus on burning down opponents as fast as possible. Cleric blessings in Hex, however, are free, both in card advantage and shard cost! They have literally no downside, and with talents can be boosted further to provide other advantages. Other talents unlock constants and artifacts that provide more healing and buffs.

Human - The general human traits are solid and useful, but their cleric talents are just lackluster. Their primary ability adds a debuff to undead on their blessings, but that's both extremely situational and can't be targeted, instead afflicting an undead unit at random. Good for an undead-themed dungeon, mediocre at best the rest of the time. Their second ability is similarly nothing to write home about, a free deployed cleric at the start of a game, but only on your last life. Alwyn is a very good card, but the fact that you only get him if you're in a losing position really sinks the value. I enjoy playing R/D/S human decks, but the sad fact is that you'll probably get better mileage out of another race's cleric with a human deck than you would with the human cleric.

Coyotle - There's a fun synergy here. Coyotles have their own race-specific blessing, and all of the cleric's blessing talents apply to their zodiac blessing as well as the normal cleric blessing. Their second trait gives them health gain and a card draw upon use of a consumable, but that's currently an unknown quantity, as consumables aren't in the game yet. If consumables actually prove useful, that will be icing on an already good cake. Additionally, if you're going to stick to a coyotle theme, the cleric talent that adds lifesteal to cleric troops is pretty solid, as many coyotle troops have the cleric class.

Elf - Elves tend towards resource ramp, and the clerics aren't an exception. Their talent makes their blessings put a constant on the table that you can sacrifice for 1/0 resource at a time of your choosing. There is no time at which that is not useful. Blessings giving you free 1/0 when you use them would be good. Blessings giving you free 1/0 that you can save and use at will? That's beyond good. There's also a good synergy with the Aura Aspect: Animation talent, which lets you create a troop with +1/+1 per artifact or constant you have in play. For most clerics I'd say that one's iffy, but elf clerics could easily have a pile of constants on the table after a few rounds. Their second racial talent is also good, but specific to decks with wild shards.

Orc - Orc blessings have reduced healing, but add rage to a random troop you control. There's room for the RNG to screw you here if it decides to put rage on a troop you aren't planning on attacking with or otherwise can't attack with, but aside from that, free rage is stompy gravy as long as you're playing an aggro deck. Unfortunately the second racial trait is just head-scratching at the moment, 2 talent points after winning 1,000 fights. We have no idea just what those points will be worth in the endgame right now, so no telling whether it will actually be useful.

Dwarf - Dwarves are all around good, and dwarf clerics aren't an exception. Their armor makes them even more absurdly tanky than other clerics, and their racial talent makes their blessings give charges. It takes two charges to make two blessings. Dwarf clerics get a charge for every blessing they play. Given a little time, a point can be reached where the dwarf cleric is using their charge power every round with free health and troop buffs raining from the sky. This kind of control deck setup is bolstered by their second talent, which plops a free Turreted Wall down for any boss fight. Also, like elves, dwarves can conceivably get a really big troop out with Aura Aspect: Animation, if they're playing an artifact-heavy deck.

Necrotic - The necrotic cleric talent gives them armor. And armor's really good! Buuuut the dwarves get it for free, and other goodies besides. The second talent, resurrecting dead mercenaries, may turn out useful down the road, but for now mercenaries aren't implemented.

Shin'hare - Shin'hare clerics have useful features, if and only if you're playing a shin'hare deck. If you aren't, their talents are basically utterly useless. And even if you are, their talents are so RNG dependent that it's possible they'll never trigger in a round. The free health and extra lives from the generic racial talents are useful for any class, but the racial class talents just leave me feeling meh.

Vennen - Unsurprisingly, vennen clerics are focused pretty much entirely on a spider egg control deck. Unlike the shin'hare, the talents can still conceivably be useful if you're using a different style of deck, but honestly there's no good reason to use this guy if you aren't going to be using a vennen deck.

Warriors
Warriors sacrifice a card in their starting hand for a big pile of health, an action to headbutt a troop or champion, and talents to improve said headbutt and buff the troops in your deck. They also have a couple of talents to boost up the amount of charges they receive, allowing for more frequent headbuttage.

Human - Making up for their mediocre performance in the cleric side of things, human warriors buff all of their troops by 1/1 during the turn that they headbutt a champion. That can turn a lot of tides. The second talent makes dungeon fights easier on subsequent attempts, good if you run up against a hard fight and need to replay it.

Coyotle - The coyotle get a yawn from me on this one, +1 starting health per dungeon fight you've won. So basically a rising health pool going up to around +6 by the time you reach the boss. And that's handy, but not as handy as a bunch of the other racial traits for warriors. The second talent applies that boost to any mercenaries you have, which again is nice but not allowing new amazing paradigms in gameplay.

Elf - Continuing the insane resource ramp motif, elves get +2/0 when they headbutt a champion. If the thought of dropping a 7-resource troop on turn 4 doesn't get you at least a little randy, you're probably playing the wrong game. The second talent just reinforces the first, adding a further buff to expensive troops. Because your turn 4 7-resource troop really needs that extra +1/+1 so you can really see the tears glistening in your opponent's eyes.

Orc - Unsurprisingly, orcs headbutt people really well, getting a +1 on damage to it. Fully buffed with talents, that's a 4 damage hit for 4 charges that can be dealt to a champion or a troublesome troop. It's direct, it's to the point, it's just plain useful. Their second talent enhances all of the troops enhanced by the training talent, adding 1 rage in addition to the preexisting training buff. Also, orcs have an unsurprising fuckton of warrior troops, which can be leveraged to generate a great deal of charges.

Dwarf - Continuing their victory lap of awesome, dwarf warriors are almost completely unfair, with their racial talent making their headbutts prevent a champion from refreshing their resource pool next turn. That essentially locks down an opponent for an entire turn on use, if it's done when they're out of resources. A dwarf warrior with a deck hinging on charge accumulation (and artifacts have a lot of charge accumulation) can in fairly short order build up enough charges to incapacitate their opponent for a few turns of brutality. The second trait adds an extra consumable slot, but as with the other consumable powers we have no idea yet how good that will be.

Necrotic - Necrotics get lifedrain on their headbutts if they hit a champion, the free health is a nice side benefit to an already good power. Their second trait is a little weird as it actually has a downside: a health penalty on mercenaries you use. Countering that is the fact that it gives their headbutts a 50-50 chance of making the other champion vulnerable, which entails taking double damage from all sources for a round. I foresee necrotic warriors being in big demand for raid fights for that ability alone.

Shin'hare - The opposite of orcs, shin'hare warriors get a discount on their headbutts, doing 3 damage for 3 charges. That pairs well with the talent that makes a champion discard a card when headbutted, since you'll be throwing them out more often than other races. The second talent puts a free Cottontail Recruiter on the table, which is a nice buffing unit for shin'hare decks, and a mildly-useful chump blocker for non-shin'hare decks.

Vennen - More spiders, shocking nobody. Vennen headbutts drop a big pile of spiders into the opponent's deck, providing great fuel for a spider deck, and a still useful but not earth-shattering boost to non-spider decks. Their second trait is a health penalty to anything they encounter with less health than they have, and since warriors have a big pile of health, that's probably going to come into play fairly often. Unfortunately, that probably won't include bosses.

Mages
Mages are weird and interesting and risky. They have crap health, most races start with 14 health, but with talents they can have a starting hand of eight cards. They also have insane flexibility; instead of having a fixed power, their power generates spell points that they can in turn spend on one of several abilities, which incidentally can be played as quick actions. This gives them more flexibility than any other class. They're also extremely fragile, as I mentioned above, so you can't dawdle around. Mages have to steamroll fast or go down in flames, and as such I wouldn't recommend a mage to a new player.

Human - The human spell polymorphs a target into a 2-cost beast. This is handy for targeted removal and circumvents damage-immune troops, and conceivably you could also target one of your own debuffed-into-useless troops so they could at least become mildly useful. However, the beast left over after polymorphing would still be in a position to block and potentially foil your hopes and dreams, so there are limits to how much this spell can bail you out of trouble. Their second trait alleviates the poor starting health by +1 per trait on the second row, so potentially up to seven health.

Coyotle - The coyotle spell is only useful if you're playing with coyotle and elemental troops, and only against an opponent not fielding coyotle or elementals, as it does 0-3 damage to every other kind of troop on the table. This spell could wipe the opponent's board and win you the game. It could also do absolutely nothing. Against a bunch of low-toughness troops like shin'hare or worker bots, it will almost certainly clean house, but it's unlikely to put a big dent in tougher troops. The second trait is a discount down the road on other talents, which for now is a complete unknown.

Elf - The +6 health for elves negates the weak health of mages right out the gate, and their spell is an always-useful +3/+3 to a troop. A permanent +3/+3. It's not as showy as some of the other spells out there, but it's like having a permanent Wild Growth card up your sleeve for an entire game. There is no downside whatsoever to an elf mage unless you're trying for a troopless deck concept. Their second trait, like the coyotle, is a buff to something we can't access yet.

Orc - The orc spell is basically Warcraft's bloodlust in card form, gives a troop 2 rage and prevents them from blocking. Like all the other orc classes, the mages focus on making the already aggro orc decks even more aggro. One timing issue for newbies to be aware of, the extra damage buff from rage is applied as attackers are declared and before blockers are declared, so you can't get cute and wait to apply the rage to an unblocked troop to sneak the damage past blockers.

Dwarf - I'm not super fond of dwarven mages. Their spell is too random for my taste: it turns a troop into a random artifact. So if you use it on your own troops, you might wind up with useless junk. But if you use it on your opponent's troops, you might give them a 12/12 artifact creature. Their second trait isn't great either, just a 0-7 health buff to mercenaries. On the upside however, the dwarven armor helps a great deal at countering the squishiness of mages.

Shin'hare - Like elves, shin'hare have a racial health buff that is extremely helpful for mages. And their racial traits are as ruthlessly useful as the bunnies are known for. Their spell completely destroys a troop, then allows its controller to draw a card, making it a fantastic oh poo poo button if something big hits the table. Their second trait has a chance to generate free spell points for you whenever one of your troops dies. All of these things wrapped up together makes for a very solid package.

Necrotic - The necrotic spell steals a card off of your opponent's deck and puts it in your hand. This is situational as hell. It might steal a card that cripples the opponent's strategy. It might steal something useless. It might steal a card that you can use. It might steal a card that just sits in your hand for the rest of the game. Compared to most of the other racial spells, this is fairly useless. Their second talent generates a spell point whenever an opposing troop dies, so that at least is wholly useful.

Vennen - For the first time thus far, the vennen primary talent doesn't deal with generating spiders! Instead it's an inexpensive attack debuff. The fact that it can be cast as a quick action is what makes a relatively unimpressive -1 attack into a real gem, you can be that jerk who debuffs an attacker or a blocker juuuust enough that it dies while your troop lives. The escalating cost of casting spells repeatedly will make it pricey to use that spell but so often, but you should still be able to get some good use out of it. The second talent goes back to the land of spider decks, giving a chance to get a spell point every time a spider comes into play on your side.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Cleric is the I-Win button of the game as it currently exists. It's extremely difficult to die as a cleric deck. Take the talent which give all your clerics lifedrain and the ones which give you the Monument of Faith at game start and the Altar of Faith in your deck. Build a deck with as many half-decent clerics as you can fit within reasonable deck size limits (100 is actually absolutely fine for a cleric deck). Profit.

If you've got any kind of usable access to diamond, it's even easier. Shove 3 Adamanthian Scriveners and as many Righteous Paladins in your deck as your shard grid will let you. So few of the Adventure Zone 1 opponents have hard removal that Righteous Paladins get out of control absurdly quickly.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Starting out as a Necrotic Mage was probably a bad idea, but I've been slowly making my way through the PVE campaign. The one Unblockable(well sort of Unblockable, It's basically fear from MTG) Lifedrain guy with the equipment that gives him Rage 1 has probably won me about 90% of my games. If that creature didn't exist I'd probably have been forced to make a new character at this point.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 5, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Valatar, your guide is wrong as it relates to warriors, there are two talents that increase Battle damage. Warlord: Strength, and Berserking, so you can get 4 damage for most warriors, 5 for orcs. Though to get both you'll most likely need to take the free talent Fury, which has a hefty health penalty that can be mostly offset by the other free talent Weight in exchange for not going first. Shin'hare is still my favorite warrior as 4 damage for 3 charges is badass.

Also their bonus health means that even after Fury + Weight (which is still net -2 health) I have 26 starting health.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 5, 2016

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

BenRGamer posted:

Valatar, your guide is wrong as it relates to warriors, there are two talents that increase Battle damage. Warlord: Strength, and Berserking, so you can get 4 damage for most warriors, 5 for orcs. Though to get both you'll most likely need to take the free talent Fury, which has a hefty health penalty that can be mostly offset by the other free talent Weight in exchange for not going first. Shin'hare is still my favorite warrior as 4 damage for 3 charges is badass.

Also their bonus health means that even after Fury + Weight (which is still net -2 health) I have 26 starting health.

I intentionally left off Berserking when talking about Battle damage, as the increase from Berserking also comes with the player taking extra damage from combat. That, and the two free talents, have downsides significant enough that I wouldn't recommend them to new players until they've seen enough of Hex to handle the penalties without feeling that they accidentally gimped their character.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Valatar posted:

I intentionally left off Berserking when talking about Battle damage, as the increase from Berserking also comes with the player taking extra damage from combat. That, and the two free talents, have downsides significant enough that I wouldn't recommend them to new players until they've seen enough of Hex to handle the penalties without feeling that they accidentally gimped their character.

To be honest, I think it's worth it for Shin'hare, with Warrior affinity and a Warrior deck there aren't many opponents I've had in PvE that can actually keep a troop out--I just battle them all to death as soon as they come out

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Valatar posted:

It isn't just the player who takes extra damage from combat, it's all players. Orc aggro decks with Berserking win real fast.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

So, does resetting Talents not working for anyone else? I keep hitting reset talents, then it immediately says talents saved, and the game just respends my points on talents I already choosen. Now that I have a better grasp of how the game works I want to respend my talents, but it seems like I actually can't?

Edit: I asked in the global chat thing in game and yeah it sound like it's completely broken. Whelp.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 5, 2016

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

Valatar posted:

Here's my quick and dirty race/class opinions for any newbies. This really only applies for anyone who feels twitchy if they aren't super-optimized; you get far more impact from having a good deck and playing well than from any racial ability, so don't sweat it and go with whatever you like.

Clerics
Cleric hinges on lots of self-heals and buffs. Generally, self-healing in CCGs is considered a newbie trap; experienced players instead focus on burning down opponents as fast as possible. Cleric blessings in Hex, however, are free, both in card advantage and shard cost! They have literally no downside, and with talents can be boosted further to provide other advantages. Other talents unlock constants and artifacts that provide more healing and buffs.

Dwarf - Dwarves are all around good, and dwarf clerics aren't an exception. Their armor makes them even more absurdly tanky than other clerics, and their racial talent makes their blessings give charges. It takes two charges to make two blessings. Dwarf clerics get a charge for every blessing they play. Given a little time, a point can be reached where the dwarf cleric is using their charge power every round with free health and troop buffs raining from the sky. This kind of control deck setup is bolstered by their second talent, which plops a free Turreted Wall down for any boss fight. Also, like elves, dwarves can conceivably get a really big troop out with Aura Aspect: Animation, if they're playing an artifact-heavy deck.

I have a Dwarf Cleric, and I just want to add that they can also be very effective going for a pure aggro strategy, ignoring the blessings and focusing on the artifact synergy. For anyone starting out who put together the cheap Dwarf/Robot deck in the OP for arena runs, you can plug as much of that deck as you can into a Dwarf Cleric deck and get similar results. You miss out on Betram's worker bot charge power, but getting the Monument of Faith means your troops can attack and be used on Construction Plans every turn (speeding up your War Hulks), and I feel the most thematically appropriate use of the Blessing Rod for Hex's Dwarves is to turn it in to a War Bot and start beating faces with it (and since it starts the game in play, if you play a Construct Foreman on your first turn you can be swinging for 3 before your opponent even plays a resource). I run it mono-ruby, since without Bertram you're really only giving up Gearsmiths, but R/S is still viable.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Valatar posted:

race/class info

It's also worth noting that each race gets a guaranteed rare when beating the newbie dungeon and then another when they get to the ambling mesa town. The one orcs get at the mesa, Blood of the Mountain god is, like, super good. You only get them once per character, and they're rare so it will be awhile before you can put more than 1 in your deck, but there's nothing stopping you from creating 4 characters of the same race if you want to farm a set.

Zurai posted:

By far the simplest way to beat the Inferno Goliath is not to play his game. Do not attack until you have enough power on-board to kill him in a single strike or until he's at 26-28 health and you're afraid he'll break free (if after his damage passive triggers at the start of his turn he's at 25 or lower health, he'll enter phase 2).

The other way to beat him is to ramp/cheat/buff out bulky creatures and get him to 25 before his charge level gets high enough to kill your fatties.

I ended up beating him by drawing a hand with a Killipede, Gorefeast, 2 ruby shards and 2 blood shards. Truly the pro-est of strats.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

WayAbvPar posted:

I am still waiting for better functionality (including exporting collection data) before I bother unloading anything in bulk. I pick and choose certain cards to sell here and there, but the process of selling even one card is a giant pain in the rear end.

I don't know if it will export to Excel from there or anything like that, but you can export to Hex TCGBrowser, which will give you a better grasp on your collection.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Looks like Jeff Hoogland (deck builder from Magic: The Gathering) has recently gotten interested in Hex, he seems pretty happy about the game and I'm excited to see what he does in Constructed. He's started out by netdecking a W/S deck from hexmeta and he's been playing frost arena. Here's hoping he's not the first Magic pro to take an interest, would certainly do a lot to get people interested in the game if some of the bigger personalities from Magic take an interest.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

LightReaper posted:

Looks like Jeff Hoogland (deck builder from Magic: The Gathering) has recently gotten interested in Hex, he seems pretty happy about the game and I'm excited to see what he does in Constructed. He's started out by netdecking a W/S deck from hexmeta and he's been playing frost arena. Here's hoping he's not the first Magic pro to take an interest, would certainly do a lot to get people interested in the game if some of the bigger personalities from Magic take an interest.

I hope he sticks with it and streams more often because I found him more watchable than 90% of the Hex streamers.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Are set 1 Primal Chests really worth the 1.8k plat or so people have the auction house for? I was thinking about whether to open mine or sell it, and was unimpressed with the one opening video I saw on youtube. Still not enough plat for a Reese :argh:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

The Moon Monster posted:

Are set 1 Primal Chests really worth the 1.8k plat or so people have the auction house for? I was thinking about whether to open mine or sell it, and was unimpressed with the one opening video I saw on youtube. Still not enough plat for a Reese :argh:

Well, Primal Chests don't drop naturally. You have to spin a legendary/rare one and get the upgrade, which is an expensive proposition. I'm not sure what the gold/plat ratio is, but the cost has gonna be up there. I'll let someone else do the math.

The big draw of Primal Chests is the chance to get one of the primal chest exclusive sleeves.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

LightReaper posted:

That's awesome news. Also interesting that he chose a Wintermoon deck since those rely on mechanics that just don't work in Magic (namely card memory for Wintermoon's charge power). I tried building a Wintermoon-esque deck in the campaign and that was a sorry thing to watch not happen at all.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
So I still haven't 100% beaten the campaign (Wiktor is giving me trouble, and grinding out the gnome quest is tedious) but I wanted to write out a couple of particular appreciations and un-appreciations.

The Good: I'm really impressed with how they've managed to translate the feel of a dungeon-crawling RPG into the card format. I'm sure it's been done already, but this is my first experience with this sort of thing. The challenges are varied enough that you may have to tweak your deck for a particular dungeon in order to have a good shot against everything inside, but it seems like there's always a potential approach that lies within the appropriate shards and flavor for a given race/class. I'm playing a Coyotle Mage, which I gather may make it more of an uphill battle for me than most, so maybe this doesn't apply to people who can ram through most encounters with Righteous Paladin cheese. But for me, it's mostly a fair challenge.

Beyond that, some of the ways they've translated particular concepts, scenarios, etc. into the Hex rules are pretty cool--I'm thinking of things like the soldiers who start out behind a barricade, or the zombies who will be distracted as long as they have something to feast on (and the battle starts in a room full of bodies, i.e. a pre-stocked crypt for the AI, so it's a little while before you have to worry about them). It's cool when they manage to set up the interaction of cards, powers, etc. to create an emergent situation that is clearly connected to the fluff for an encounter, but also an appropriate mechanical challenge. The zenith of this for me so far is probably the Inferno Goliath fight. It's a case where the game breaks its own rules a little bit more than I'd like by not giving you any indication whether or when the phase change is going to happen--compare to that one spirit in Devonshire Keep, I think, where her charge power clearly lets you know that you better be ready for some sort of form shift, even if you don't know exactly what it's going to be. A little bit of text in the passive about the 25-or-less condition would be more fair in terms of the sort of information the player normally has access to. But overall, that's how you do the classic MMO multiple-phase fight by the rules of Hex.

The Not So Good: RNG. Now, I realize that there's going to be some variance in terms of draws, playing first, etc., and you can't really get away from that without radically changing the concept of the game. I'm not talking about that sort of variance. I'm talking about poo poo where there's straight up a dice roll. I don't know what other races or classes have, but as I said, I play a Coyotle mage, so I have at least two: the charge power, which can give you (before talents) 3-5 magic points at random, and one of my spells, which is a sweeper that deals 0-3 damage at random.

The charge power is annoying, and I'd like to see it changed, but it's not really absolutely infuriating. There are other ways to gain magic points, and the way it ends up working is that you just press the button as often as possible and you at least get something each time. You might occasionally lose a game that you could have stayed in had you rolled a bit more on one (or more!) charge activations, and that doesn't really seem like good game design to me, but you'll never feel like the game took your money (figuratively speaking) and then laughed in your face.

The damage spell (tornado or something), on the other hand, has brought me about as close to a ragequit as anything in the PVE campaign. It costs you seven magic points, which isn't trivial since it's the most of any spell so far, and you pay that all upfront (and get the cost increase for subsequent castings of the spell!) before you find out if it's going to do literally anything whatsoever. Making things worse is that if you need it to work, you usually really need it to work since you're facing down a horde of X/1s or X/2s. It really just needs to be a flat 2 damage, which is obviously good but not overpowered given how much investment goes into 7+ magic points--certainly much harder than just casting a Heat Wave in the appropriate deck. You'd lose the 25% hail mary chance against X/3s that you have no other answer to, but on the other hand you'd actually be able to make an informed decision about using it, which seems like a desirable thing for a mechanic in a game of (mostly) skill. If they didn't want to make this change, then it should at least give you something even on a "miss." Things like giving you an elemental troop if it doesn't kill a certain number of enemies, or refunding you a magic point for each enemy troop that's still alive after it resolves, etc.

Oh, I thought of another way in which the magic system uses RNG, this one with magic points again. There's a talent that gives you a 50%(?) chance, per spell you know, that you'll start the game with an extra magic point. Now, this is certainly better than not having this talent at all; however, the difference between starting a game with 1 magic point and 4 magic points is really swingy in terms of whether I have a fighting chance against a particular boss or whether I just suck. Just make it a 100% chance. Or, if that's too powerful, give me a 100% +1 magic point for every two spells I know, plus a 50% chance for any odd spell. That at least lets me consistently bank on some amount of bonus.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

If RNG bugs you, Coyotl Mage seems like a terrible choice

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Everyone should probably have an elf or dwarf warrior, maybe both.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Vilgan posted:

If RNG bugs you, Coyotl Mage seems like a terrible choice
Yeah, in retrospect that's true, but why should RNG trap choices exist in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

If RNG bugs you, Collectible Card Game seems like a terrible choice.

• Locked thread