Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
I agree with Katkillad's recommendation. Sell your adventure packs for gold and/or plat.

I would then immediately turn around and either buy packs to draft with (drafting is amazing value and also fun) or buy singles you actually want for your deck.

Just a note: Another reason they give you lots of cards/equipment not for your class/race is to encourage you to use the AH. The AH is an incredibly vital part of this game that makes it stand out from its main digital competitors, which are collectible but do not allow trading. It gives your collection real value.

It's too bad the AH UI is awful garbage. But if you can get past that, you can do very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

here's the tri-shard human deck I threw together that got me through most of the campaign

quote:

Troops
2x Ardent Recruiter
1x Her Majesty, Queen Grace
1x Lord Benjamin, the Wise
1x Righteous Paladin
3x Royal Herald
1x Cerulean Mentalist
1x Jags the Blademaster
1x Kraken Guard Seapriest
1x Lord Alexander, the Courageous
1x Phoenix Guard Trainer
1x Prince Talysen
1x Princess Victoria
2x Royal Cutblood
1x Ruby Enchantress
1x War Prodigy
1x Alwyn
1x Ascetic Aspirant
1x Azurefate Sorceress
1x Lord Adam, the Powerful
2x Sister Cynthia
1x His Majesty, King Gabriel
1x Princess Cory
1x Royal Valkyr
1x Syyn, Etherdrake Nomad
1x Ozawa, Cosmic Elder

Spells
1x Reversion
1x Cerebral Fulmination
1x Incantation of Righteousness
1x Ivory Pawn
1x Blessing the Fallen
1x Rallying Banner
1x Orders From High Command

Resources
9 x Diamond
8 x Ruby
6 x Sapphire

It's inspire based and I have blessings of the fallen which is why I mostly have only one of most cards (well, that and rarity limits). I would definitely have gareth kay in if he wasn't busted.

Life drain is super important since I'm playing a mage and a bunch of the decks you fight are the super fast burn types (Ozawa is in there almost purely for ozawa's bite to give me more sustainability)

My mvps are Argent recruiter (with equipment), orders from high command, princess cory, and royal cutblood. Argent recruiter makes pretty much every troop in my deck cheaper (on top of the possible -2 resource cost from one of my talents) and with the chest plate they tend to grow super fast. Princess Cory with both his equipment is pretty much a win if he ever connects because you snowball out of control. Orders from High command (with the brooch) gives you dudes and gets cheaper every turn you have a diamond and sapphire threshold which I can usually have by turn 2. The royal cutbloods won me a ton PvE matches since the have lifedrain, rage, unblockable, and since they cost 3 are affected by most of my inspires.

I have the 3 lords because of a possible Triumvirate but they fit in well enough that I don't mind having them. Sister Cynthia was pretty meh until I got her equipment that gives you a free inspire card when you draw her. This made her effect way more consistent. It also sometimes generates inspire cards you couldn't normally get like Lionel Flynn or Palamedes

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

By the way, the drafting pool of players has gone back to normal. Before PvE came out, it was a brutal gauntlet of professional drafters and streamers. Now it's filled with people of varying skill levels again.

Still lots of people raredrafting and dropping round 1, though. But this has almost always been the case.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah I don't think I've had a full 8 people actively playing in round 1 since maybe halfway through Set 1 drafts. Raredrafters are just a fact of life at this point.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Afgad posted:

I agree with Katkillad's recommendation. Sell your adventure packs for gold and/or plat.

I would then immediately turn around and either buy packs to draft with (drafting is amazing value and also fun) or buy singles you actually want for your deck.

Just a note: Another reason they give you lots of cards/equipment not for your class/race is to encourage you to use the AH. The AH is an incredibly vital part of this game that makes it stand out from its main digital competitors, which are collectible but do not allow trading. It gives your collection real value.

It's too bad the AH UI is awful garbage. But if you can get past that, you can do very well.

I'm on board with this advice as a new player. I got a key a long time ago and played sparingly but have a bunch of boosters I can sell as well. I guess my real question is, and it seems sort of dumb, is how do I know what I Want to buy? I would like to try a variety of deck types, i.e., I'm not looking for the One True Deck. If I absolutely had to say, I guess I like aggro decks and decks that let me drop me drop fat troops ahead of curve..weenie decks are cool too. But seriously, given that I want to broaden my collection rather than focus on a particular deck, should I still sell adventure packs for plat? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but then what do I prioritize buying in the AH?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

I'm on board with this advice as a new player. I got a key a long time ago and played sparingly but have a bunch of boosters I can sell as well. I guess my real question is, and it seems sort of dumb, is how do I know what I Want to buy? I would like to try a variety of deck types, i.e., I'm not looking for the One True Deck. If I absolutely had to say, I guess I like aggro decks and decks that let me drop me drop fat troops ahead of curve..weenie decks are cool too. But seriously, given that I want to broaden my collection rather than focus on a particular deck, should I still sell adventure packs for plat? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but then what do I prioritize buying in the AH?

The HexTCG Browser site is great for looking over what is available and being able to filter out stuff by rarity / set / etc, plus sorting by average AH cost and stuff too - also it has a shared decks thing so you can check out what is doing well in constructed / analyse your own deck composition / etc, that's part of an answer at least

If you want to broaden your collection generally I would say Draft because you get more familiar with what is out there + get to have fun opening packs, if you buy your boosters cheap on the AH you're looking at between 600-700 platinum entry and even if you don't win a single booster you can sell the contents of the boosters for a min of like 300 plat (assuming you can be bothered listing things / it all sells, I'm just waiting until we get crafting and I can grind down most of my low-value cards into materials which should at least have a consistent price / be easier to sell within the 48 hour listing window)

But yea I think don't sweat it too much, cracking packs is fun even the Adventure Zone ones so don't hold yourself back because you want to maximize your expected value or whatever - just weigh up where the fun is for you

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

vulturesrow posted:

It really all comes down to what you want to do. You mentioned in a previous post you had 15 set one and two packs. You could open them and have more cards for PVE, you could sell them and buy packs to start drafting with the current set, or you could sell them and start the beginnings of a constructed deck.

You mention you want to broaden your collection and as mentioned above drafting is probably going to be the best way to do that in your position.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Although by drafting you will only be able to broaden your collection with the current set being drafted, which is set 3. So if there are cards you want out of set 1 & 2 and you don't have many already it might be worth it to open those packs, or sell them and buy specific cards from those sets. I can definitely understand it being a little overwhelming to the new players the game is getting. Those who have been playing since Alpha are very familiar with all 3 sets, and really want set 4. But for those just started to play 3 sets really doesn't mean much, other than what boosters they need to do drafts. To them all of the cards are new and probably feel like 1 overwhelming large set and they have a lot to catch up on if they want to grow collections from all 3 sets.

Hitting up the various Hex websites in the OP and looking at recent articles and decklists would be a good way to get an idea for the direction you want to head if you are interested in cards for PVE. If you're interested in competitive play those sites will also provide good info on constructed decks, and watching streamers doing drafts is a good way to learn more about the drafting process and specific set 3 cards/interactions.

I almost feel like Hex should run some more flashback draft events soon for new players so they can acquire set 1 & 2 cards that way as well.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Thanks for all the answers. I literally have no cards beyond what is in the Orc starter deck and the Elf PvE starter deck. Does this help answer the question at all?

e: I also have about 800 plat waiting to be used.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 10, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks for all the answers. I literally have no cards beyond what is in the Orc starter deck and the Elf PvE starter deck. Does this help answer the question at all?

e: I also have about 800 plat waiting to be used.

I believe you actually get the cards for every PVE starter deck.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

There are lots of deck archetypes that work in Hex and are fun for various reasons. Many of them are tied to tribes, but some are not.

Dinotropia is a great streamer who also writes a weekly column for the Hextcg website called Style Points. The deck lists he writes for that column are never tier 1 competitive decks but they are always interesting and often very enjoyable. On top of the deck list, he writes a very detailed explanation of why he includes each card. I'd check him out.

Google Hextcg Style Points and some of his articles come up. You can also scroll down on the main website and look for it.

I also recommend Hexmeta for checking out what kinds of decks are winning gauntlets and other tournaments.

There is no shame in netdecking, especially for PvE. Nobody will look down on you for it.

Really though, if you're not hurting for money or on a ONLY FREE GAMES mission, try out drafting, especially the non-competitive drafts. You get to play 4 times with your deck, so you get to see all sorts of cool decks other people put together while trying your own. You expand your collection quickly and, while going infinite is very hard, you end up sort of buying "discount" packs. Even if you win 1 times you effectively get 1 pack for 100p. Of course, if you're worried about spending real money on Hex, watch some streamers first to get familiar with the process.

By the way, speaking of Dinotropia, each week he streams a contest called "4Keeps" and it is free to enter. If you win, you get a cool card. If you win while meeting his special condition, you can win a huge pile of goodies. Our own God of Evil Cows has won it what, three times now? So that's a fun thing to do and is free to enter.

Another thing I recommend to all players in the USA timezone, and especially new players, is to compete in the Rock League. It's a community run league where you build decks with commons/uncommons only, so it is cheap to enter, and has prizes in addition to being fun. Check that out here

Edit: I guess my question is: What parts of Hex do you find the most enjoyable? Then maybe I can suggest specific decks. If you're not sure, then browse the above stuff.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

If you're keen to get involved with constructed games, we are luckily in a period where two of the best decks are also some of the cheapest:

W/S Control

http://hexmeta.com/deck/4582/show

This deck costs about 4500 plat and a lot of it is tied up in the Rootfathers and Windsingers, which you don't need to make the deck tick. Rootfathers can be replaced with Archons of Nulzann which will bring the price down to about 3600 plat and won't sacrifice the core of the deck. Windsingers are trickier to replace, but replacing them takes off 1400 plat too. For replacing them I would probably recommend adding more draw spells like additional copies of Epiphany, or Buccaneer if you want to improve your ability to interact early.

If aggro is more your thing, take a look at this as a basis for a deck

Ruby Aggro

http://hexmeta.com/deck/60/show

This is about 4800 in plat and has a bunch of cards that will continue to be fantastic in aggro decks going forward. In terms of cost cutting here, you could cut the kindling skarns and replace them with savage raiders to shave off roughly 500 plat. Fierce Warlords total nearly 300 plat but they are uncommons and you should be able to buy them pretty cheaply with gold from the campaign if you have some spare.

If you're a fan of playing big stompy decks my initial searches are proving fruitless and someone else may be able to help. The two decks above are proven to be competitive, and you can always take the cost cutting measures I suggested and slowly improve on them with (hopefully!) your winnings from playing in constructed tournaments or gauntlets.

If you would rather put together your own decks, please please please don't hesitate to post them in the thread and we will do our best to help you refine them. There are quite a few players who are regulars in this thread who can consistently do well in constructed and at the very least will have a keen eye for weak points in your decks.

-------------------

Edit: To give some contrast, here's the deck I'm playing with right now, that costs about 25k plat (!!!!). I'd be welcome to get feedback from other players, as this just uses the core blood deck that's been going around with some tweaks for my preferences:

http://hexmeta.com/deck/4586/show

I really like Wakizashi Ambusher. It's great versus Buccaneers as it has an enters play effect, it completely neutralizes a bunch of meta heavy hitters like:

Killipede
Azurefate Sorceress
Sunsoul Phoenix
Xentoth's Inquisitor
Vampire Princess
Puck Dream Bringer

Giving you almost always a 2 for 1. You can gently caress with people as they assume that tunnelled troop is a Monsuun and play around it by not using removal, as well as pairing well with Monsuun in general. Even in it's iffier matchups it's still fine in game 1 to take out Howling Braves and other little dudes, and it's great versus Ruby Aggro too.

I'm not really sold on Killipede personally, as it's really susceptible to tempo plays and my version of the deck tries to avoid troops without enters play abilities as much as possible to reduce the effectiveness of time ripple & buccaneer versus me.

Sideboard was redone from the ground up for my preferences, and I'm thinking of replacing Vampire Kiss with some Subtle Strikers as right now aggro isn't all that prevalent and Subtle Striker seems fantastic versus W/S control & Rutherford Banks decks. Zealous Excruciator hasn't been an all star but is generally solid, I could see maybe replacing it with Urunaaz or Dishonorable Death but I will continue playtesting.

Arachnophobia is so good, so many games I've won off the back off of targetted discard followed up by Arachnophobia.

LightReaper fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 10, 2016

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

LightReaper posted:

Edit: To give some contrast, here's the deck I'm playing with right now, that costs about 25k plat (!!!!). I'd be welcome to get feedback from other players, as this just uses the core blood deck that's been going around with some tweaks for my preferences:

http://hexmeta.com/deck/4586/show

I really like Wakizashi Ambusher. It's great versus Buccaneers as it has an enters play effect, it completely neutralizes a bunch of meta heavy hitters like:

Killipede
Azurefate Sorceress
Sunsoul Phoenix
Xentoth's Inquisitor
Vampire Princess
Puck Dream Bringer

Giving you almost always a 2 for 1. You can gently caress with people as they assume that tunnelled troop is a Monsuun and play around it by not using removal, as well as pairing well with Monsuun in general. Even in it's iffier matchups it's still fine in game 1 to take out Howling Braves and other little dudes, and it's great versus Ruby Aggro too.

I'm not really sold on Killipede personally, as it's really susceptible to tempo plays and my version of the deck tries to avoid troops without enters play abilities as much as possible to reduce the effectiveness of time ripple & buccaneer versus me.

Sideboard was redone from the ground up for my preferences, and I'm thinking of replacing Vampire Kiss with some Subtle Strikers as right now aggro isn't all that prevalent and Subtle Striker seems fantastic versus W/S control & Rutherford Banks decks. Zealous Excruciator hasn't been an all star but is generally solid, I could see maybe replacing it with Urunaaz or Dishonorable Death but I will continue playtesting.

Arachnophobia is so good, so many games I've won off the back off of targetted discard followed up by Arachnophobia.

I love this deck and will probably steal it.

Just need some more Phenteos.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I take back what I said about vennen before. I really like that I get to enjoy my vennen cleric in PVE, playing a spider deck, because it doesn't work in PVP at all and that's a shame.

But DANG Vilefang Eremite + Hatchery Priest + Psychic Torment, with their respective equipment, is hilarious. Hatchery Priest creates spiders, with equipment makes an extra spider pop out when the opponent hits an egg. Eremite deals a damage to the opponent whenever you heal, and when you heal it puts a spider in the opposing champions deck, you also heal whenever a spider comes into play. Psychic Torment mills the opponent for every damage they take.

It can see how it wouldn't always infinite the opponent into a spider-filled grave, but it's done so literally every single time so far. A three-card combo is a little hard to rely on, sure, but it's not like Clerics have any trouble biding their time until it all falls into place.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 10, 2016

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Vincent Valentine posted:

I take back what I said about vennen before. I really like that I get to enjoy my vennen cleric in PVE, playing a spider deck, because it doesn't work in PVP at all and that's a shame.

But DANG Vilefang Eremite + Hatchery Priest + Psychic Torment, with their respective equipment, is hilarious. Hatchery Priest creates spiders, with equipment makes an extra spider pop out when the opponent hits an egg. Eremite deals a damage to the opponent whenever you heal, and when you heal it puts a spider in the opposing champions deck, you also heal whenever a spider comes into play. Psychic Torment mills the opponent for every damage they take.

It can see how it wouldn't always infinite the opponent into a spider-filled grave, but it's done so literally every single time so far. A three-card combo is a little hard to rely on, sure, but it's not like Clerics have any trouble biding their time until it all falls into place.

I really like the Vennen gameplay, and Vennen Cleric in PvE is definetely the most fun I have. The only issue I have it not being able to do dungeons consistently. When you can't get the combo out fast enough or the spiders don't start the chain reaction, it hurts. Haven't beaten devonshire yet.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

LightReaper posted:

I'd be welcome to get feedback from other players, as this just uses the core blood deck that's been going around with some tweaks for my preferences:

The Ambusher is pretty clever, game 1 you'll trick almost everyone into thinking it's a Monsuun. Personally I'm kind of down on Monsuun in general, I don't have any hard data/experience to back it up but it's not been doing much for me.

Mono-blood is popular enough that I'm running 4x Inquisitor in my sideboard since it shuts down the vampires and Killipede. I would probably drop the Excruciators for more Inquisitors.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 10, 2016

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

The Ambusher is pretty clever, game 1 you'll trick almost everyone into thinking it's a Monsuun. Personally I'm kind of down on Monsuun in general, I don't have any hard data/experience to back it up but it's not been doing much for me.

Mono-blood is popular enough that I'm running 4x Inquisitor in my sideboard since it shuts down the vampires and Killipede. I would probably drop the Excruciators for more Inquisitors.
YMMV but I've found its been great against Rutherford decks. Not to tunnel of course, but because it's the perfect sweet spot at three toughness where neither carnasaurus nor pride's fall hit it. Don't deploy a second threat (because crocasaur) and it presents a quick clock. It's generally sided out most match ups but it's great game 1 and in blood mirrors.

I can see the argument for four inquisitors versus blood, I might give it a try, but going to give excruciators a bit more play first.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful answers to my questions. Any recommendations on good hex blogs/sites?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful answers to my questions. Any recommendations on good hex blogs/sites?

You should check the third post of the OP!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Go RV! posted:

You should check the third post of the OP!

I did. I should've specified in addition to those. :D

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vincent Valentine posted:

Vilefang Eremite + Blood Aura is pretty great because the lifedrain triggers off the damage the eremite deals when an egg is drawn so they trigger themselves. Blood Aura with the equipment is just a good card all around.

e: Think Romor's Reckoning is worth anything? I somehow ended up with 4 of the things. It's a powerful effect but I pretty much write off 8 cost cards as unplayable in non-ramp decks.

ee: has anyone else been picking "play first" in PVE and having the computer end up getting the first turn AND the first draw? It's kind of irritating when it happens on a dungeon boss.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 11, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Gnome desert quest is so tedious and bad. Maybe if you didn't have to take 60 total it wouldn't be so bad but goddamn.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I've spent longer trying to finish this loving awful piece of poo poo quest than I've spent on the campaign in total. How the gently caress did such a lazy, bullshit unfun quest ever seem like a good idea to anyone, ever? You either have to flood your deck with loving abysmal poo poo and reroll draws over and over until you get something even remotely playable and then loving HOPE the AI gets manascrewed, or take 6 gnomes at a time and do it TEN loving TIMES OVER. My deck stomps over everything else but this loving quest has me temped to uninstall if I'm going to have to do any more bullshit like this. This is anti-fun.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

e: Think Romor's Reckoning is worth anything? I somehow ended up with 4 of the things. It's a powerful effect but I pretty much write off 8 cost cards as unplayable in non-ramp decks.

I would probably take any offer over 50p for one of those. In the long run it's going to be a below price floor PVE legendary most likely. It's really hosed that the auction house is broke for the new PVE cards as long as it has been. The longer people have to play the campaign the more common things become. When Duelist Tabard started dropping in Arena I sold one for 1500p and I just sold one earlier for 10p.

The first legendary I got in my adventure packs was a Stalker of Marbaras, I probably could have sold it for 500-1k plat, but probably only worth 100-200p now.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

nightwisher posted:

I've spent longer trying to finish this loving awful piece of poo poo quest than I've spent on the campaign in total. How the gently caress did such a lazy, bullshit unfun quest ever seem like a good idea to anyone, ever? You either have to flood your deck with loving abysmal poo poo and reroll draws over and over until you get something even remotely playable and then loving HOPE the AI gets manascrewed, or take 6 gnomes at a time and do it TEN loving TIMES OVER. My deck stomps over everything else but this loving quest has me temped to uninstall if I'm going to have to do any more bullshit like this. This is anti-fun.

A) It's a completely optional quest. You can go back and set your carried gnome count to 0 and the wormoids will go away.
B) Wormoids take forever and a day to surface unless you trigger their motion sensors (ie play the types of cards they care about). Play as few cards as you can get away with, including resources.
C) It's a good thing that you can't just roll over every single encounter with the exact same deck.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Zurai posted:

A) It's a completely optional quest. You can go back and set your carried gnome count to 0 and the wormoids will go away.
B) Wormoids take forever and a day to surface unless you trigger their motion sensors (ie play the types of cards they care about). Play as few cards as you can get away with, including resources.
C) It's a good thing that you can't just roll over every single encounter with the exact same deck.

It's not completely optional. You have to pick it up to progress in the adventure zone, you can't not pick it up or you won't be able to get past a bottleneck, so it'll always be there in the quest log.

Taunting you.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

It's not completely optional. You have to pick it up to progress in the adventure zone, you can't not pick it up or you won't be able to get past a bottleneck, so it'll always be there in the quest log.

Taunting you.

You have to pick it up but you don't have to do it. Doing the quest is completely, 100%, optional.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Zurai posted:

You have to pick it up but you don't have to do it. Doing the quest is completely, 100%, optional.

Nothing about it being optional makes it any less what I said about it.

The wormoids surface quicker if you play a certain card, yes. Those cards being troops, actions or resources because each wormoid responds to each type, so doing literally anything hurts you and the worm champions have too much health to chip away with weenies at. You have about 4-5 turns before firebreathing wormoids repeatedly boardwipe, the gnomes and primals thin out the draws you need to handle the pace, and it's all but impossible to keep up with it once it gets the 4 mana and can drop two tunnelers per turn in addition to two from it's deck. The only way I beat that encounter was when the AI got completely manascrewed and was stuck on 1 mana the entire game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The wormoids aren't nearly as hard as you make them out to be, but go on feeling persecuted if it makes you feel better.

The Wormoid Queen is hard, mind. But the other two routes are completely doable with a wide range of decks. Aggro decks just need to stick a turn 1-2 rage creature and they win. Control decks can deal with the worms as they pop. Ramp decks can out-size the worms. Etc.

And again, you absolutely should not be able to just steamroll every single encounter with the exact same deck as you claim to have done until the Wormoids.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Because I am a masochist I went straight to taking all 60 Gnomes through the Wormanoid Queen encounter and had to plug away at it for a good couple of hours until I lucked out on some Inferno procs - it was kinda frustrating but like I knew I was screwing myself so I didn't take it personally

I think there is room for improvement on the specific tunnelling values so that those encounters aren't a total gently caress, I couldn't say if it's bad design generally because I am a shitter whose opinions can't be trusted

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Today's piece of unsolicited advice that is obvious to anyone who sat down and took the time to read is this:

Elf warriors can take the Fury talent (+2 charges for -7 health) at a net 1 health cost, since they get a racial +6 health.
Elves have a level 15 racial talent that gives them another +2 charges if they have at least 30 rare, legendary, extended art, or alternate art cards in their deck. This is a very easy requirement to meet, as dust drops fairly frequently in PvE, which you can use to make cards into extended art cards.

Those two things together mean that an elf warrior can trigger their power on turn one, before their opponent can even act if they win the coin toss. Who would like to:

Punch their opponent in the face for three damage AND
Force their opponent to discard a card from their starting hand AND
Drop a 3-cost troop on the table on the first round.

:getin:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Valatar posted:

Today's piece of unsolicited advice that is obvious to anyone who sat down and took the time to read is this:

Elf warriors can take the Fury talent (+2 charges for -7 health) at a net 1 health cost, since they get a racial +6 health.
Elves have a level 15 racial talent that gives them another +2 charges if they have at least 30 rare, legendary, extended art, or alternate art cards in their deck. This is a very easy requirement to meet, as dust drops fairly frequently in PvE, which you can use to make cards into extended art cards.

Those two things together mean that an elf warrior can trigger their power on turn one, before their opponent can even act if they win the coin toss. Who would like to:

Punch their opponent in the face for three damage AND
Force their opponent to discard a card from their starting hand AND
Drop a 3-cost troop on the table on the first round.

:getin:

Shin'hare warriors can get first turn Battle, too, with 3-cost battle. You still need to take Fury, but they get naturally +3 health, and you can also take Weight to offset Fury's penalty.

My first turn action on the character is to just play a shard and kill the opponent's first troop. For funzies.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Is Weight really worth it? I used to always take both Fury/Weight cause they were free and seemed to offset each other, but going second in PvE is such a huge detriment. Especially in dungeons, if they draw the nuts, going first just seals your fate. Quickly.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Dackel posted:

Is Weight really worth it? I used to always take both Fury/Weight cause they were free and seemed to offset each other, but going second in PvE is such a huge detriment. Especially in dungeons, if they draw the nuts, going first just seals your fate. Quickly.

It was worth it for Shin'hare warrior. The only dungeon that really gave me trouble was the inferno goliath encounter, because it took me forever to recognize what you had to do--and I was still able to do the encounter with Weight on. And this is with Berserking on top of Weight.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

has anyone else been picking "play first" in PVE and having the computer end up getting the first turn AND the first draw? It's kind of irritating when it happens on a dungeon boss.

Is no one else seeing this? It's gotten to the point where it happens nearly every time I pick play first.

e: weight is good if you'd always pick "draw first" anyway due to bugs.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 12, 2016

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I think Weight is dogshit but I was playing aggro Orc Warrior and my life total mostly didn't matter.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Is no one else seeing this? It's gotten to the point where it happens nearly every time I pick play first.

e: weight is good if you'd always pick "draw first" anyway due to bugs.

The AI takes a brief "turn" in which they choose to mulligan (or not) but I haven't seen them ever do anything during it or anything like that?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea, I've never seen the AI get a turn before I go when I choose Play First.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Another dumb questions from yours truly. I am about ready to pull the trigger on selling packs on the AH. I'm assuming I'm better off selling them for plat but I just want to be sure. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I got a Bastardspawn of Bokrug for my spiderling deck and something strange happened.

The computer discarded its entire deck instead of half of it for some reason. It didn't get decked which is a bit weird since I've definitely done that to computers before. The comical amount of spiderlings is from the 3 equipped hatchery priests. Of course with the extinction in hand I couldn't resist the even grosser maggotsplosion.

• Locked thread