Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

vulturesrow posted:

Another dumb questions from yours truly. I am about ready to pull the trigger on selling packs on the AH. I'm assuming I'm better off selling them for plat but I just want to be sure. Thanks!

As a new player, I would sell for plat. It is much more stable in value, so you don't risk losing your initial investment on price fluctuations. It also does everything you want except spin chests.

It's the fatty whales like myself with literally hundreds of unspun chests that should really sell for gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

The Moon Monster posted:

The computer discarded its entire deck instead of half of it for some reason. It didn't get decked which is a bit weird since I've definitely done that to computers before.

This is more or less the expected behavior. Suppose (for math's sake) your opponent had 40 real cards and 40 spiders in his deck. BoB sees an 80 card deck, and mills for 40. On average, that hits 20 spiders, which will mill 20 more cards, which will hit 10 spiders, which will mill 10 cards, etc, which ultimately results in milling the entire deck on average, as long as it's at least 50% spiders.

Not sure how the computer got to its main phase. Could be a bug, or could be some other interaction that's not immediately obvious from the board state.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Got past the Wurm Queen, really enjoyed how it ended up. Played D/x control (Human Cleric).
Spoilers...

Set my deck up as invincible (as that's what I have access to card-wise and that's the idea I went with).
Play some removal spells and fogs to keep the wurms at bay, but then the Queen tunnels. I land the combo of Bird of Plenty plus, well, I draw most of my deck from blocking 2 or 3 times. Then I add in Guardian Angel and my life total balloons from ~8 to 55. Meanwhile, I can't attack as there is a lingering wurm who just won't finish tunneling, so I just continue playing fogs and land an Eternal Guardian, the real control trump piece. Then I look to the upper left...

Just because I can't attack or target you, Ms. Wurm, doesn't mean my U/x control deck can't watch you kill yourself with your turn 2 play while you're tunneled!

logis fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 12, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The AI doesn't seem to understand cannot block + attack, every time I do it to their troops the AI plays buffs on it as if nothing were wrong. Made the last fight in the necromancer dungeon a breeze.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Man, to the OP (or whomever made that Robots deck that's in the OP), I put it together tonight minus maybe 6 cards I was missing, and it just destroyed my first full Arena run. 19 wins, 1 loss (stupid not drawing mana), and I think I'm falling in love with War Machinist.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm waiting for access to the Slack channel so I hope it's kosher to ask this in here. Just wondering if anyone has some Quash Ridge Tuskers they'd sell me on the cheap. In game name is Stuff.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AegisP posted:

Man, to the OP (or whomever made that Robots deck that's in the OP), I put it together tonight minus maybe 6 cards I was missing, and it just destroyed my first full Arena run. 19 wins, 1 loss (stupid not drawing mana), and I think I'm falling in love with War Machinist.
Yea it's pretty good, I stole it from the official forums long ago and used it for the bulk of my many many Arena runs - I just have a big motivation problem with running Arena now because despite how many times I've done it I still haven't run into Uruunaz, I just want those sleeves so bad and there is no other way to get them.

Anyway speaking of the official forums there is a guy over there buying gold for plat which might be useful for some of you new guys;

quote:

Buying at 120 gold per Platinum if the rate is better in your favour based on hexprice I will of course match.

Daily exchange rate used, any volume, no quibble and collection within 10 hours max.
. Check the gold : platinum exchange rate on http://www.hexprice.com
. Calculate the amount of platinum equivalent to the gold you want to sell
. Send a "Cash on Delivery" (C.O.D) in game mail to "Alchemy"
. I will collect the mail within 10 hours max. - No Quibble, No Fuss, Just C.O.D and Go

Thank you for helping me to unlock the art !

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ANyone have recommendations on strengthening the the Elf Starter for the campaign? I went elf mage but I've run into a roadblock with the 2nd bridge encounter..I can't beat the dryad or the river crossing. Of course the real answer might be "choose a different starter" since my main goal is to accumulate adventure packs to sell on the AH before they start dropping in value.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Just to refresh people's memories this is the PvE Elf Starter

I mean the first thing I did for my elf warrior was drop the Wild Child, Incite Fury, and Ruby Aura - you could replace those with Burn, Howling Brave, maybe Wrathwood Larch or just more removal like Crackling Bolt

The Elf Mage talents are kind of a mystery to me but maybe getting bonus charges from playing Mage cards could be the go?

Hope that helps, also sorry I am too stingy to part with my extra Tuskers - I actually paid way to much for mine when I first got them and want to try to recoup that later somehow ;)

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

Thoom posted:

This is more or less the expected behavior. Suppose (for math's sake) your opponent had 40 real cards and 40 spiders in his deck. BoB sees an 80 card deck, and mills for 40. On average, that hits 20 spiders, which will mill 20 more cards, which will hit 10 spiders, which will mill 10 cards, etc, which ultimately results in milling the entire deck on average, as long as it's at least 50% spiders.

Not sure how the computer got to its main phase. Could be a bug, or could be some other interaction that's not immediately obvious from the board state.

What I would guess happened is the hatchery priests trigger put some eggs in the opponents deck after it was already empty, and then on the opponents turn they drew a spiderling egg and milled themselves again. The replacement effect on the spiderling eggs isn't technically a draw it's "put the top card of your library into that zone," so it won't kill you if your deck is empty. I know that if you deck someone but have an incubation web on one of their troops then each turn they will just give you another spider but never lose to drawing from an empty deck (unless they're the AI and try to play a draw spell on themselves).

AegisP posted:

Man, now you've got me nostalgic for the even-more-glorious days of War Machinist. There was a time, before they realized how ridiculously OP it was, when the Tinkerer's Robes equipment made it do 1 damage to EACH opposing troop whenever you played an artifact. Imagine one-sided board wipes just from playing your own troops! I mean, it did obviously deserve a nerf, but that deck was incredible back then.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ianvincible posted:

What I would guess happened is the hatchery priests trigger put some eggs in the opponents deck after it was already empty, and then on the opponents turn they drew a spiderling egg and milled themselves again. The replacement effect on the spiderling eggs isn't technically a draw it's "put the top card of your library into that zone," so it won't kill you if your deck is empty. I know that if you deck someone but have an incubation web on one of their troops then each turn they will just give you another spider but never lose to drawing from an empty deck (unless they're the AI and try to play a draw spell on themselves).

Hatchery Priests actually only make eggs when you exhaust them to use their ability, their gear makes them create another spiderling whenever an egg comes up. You're probably thinking of Vilefang Eremites. It might have been a display bug caused by all the poo poo on the field. When it got to be the computer's turn again a it drew another spider egg from the empty space where its deck used to be.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Grim posted:

Just to refresh people's memories this is the PvE Elf Starter

I mean the first thing I did for my elf warrior was drop the Wild Child, Incite Fury, and Ruby Aura - you could replace those with Burn, Howling Brave, maybe Wrathwood Larch or just more removal like Crackling Bolt

The Elf Mage talents are kind of a mystery to me but maybe getting bonus charges from playing Mage cards could be the go?

Hope that helps, also sorry I am too stingy to part with my extra Tuskers - I actually paid way to much for mine when I first got them and want to try to recoup that later somehow ;)

Thanks for the help. No worries about the Tuskers, another kind goon sold me some at a good discount off the going AH rate. Soon as I get 8 more plat I'll be able to claim them lol. Just needed to throw some packs on the AH.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Pro Tour Regular Adrian Sullivan just put up his first article on the Hextcg homepage, this one about brewing around Cerebral Fulmination.

Between Adrian showing interest in the game and Jeff Hoogland going out and really praising the game on social media, we might start to see more and more magic players look at this game and give it a shot.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

LightReaper posted:

Pro Tour Regular Adrian Sullivan just put up his first article on the Hextcg homepage, this one about brewing around Cerebral Fulmination.

Between Adrian showing interest in the game and Jeff Hoogland going out and really praising the game on social media, we might start to see more and more magic players look at this game and give it a shot.

It's kind of hilarious to me that with all of the weird stuff you can do in Hex he latched on to Cerebral Fulmination and basically just made a variant of the modern Owling Mine deck from MTG.

Hoogland streaming has had a pretty interesting effect on constructed though. In three gauntlets I saw two decks, people copying his SBW deck and people playing mono blood to try to counter it.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Phoix posted:

It's kind of hilarious to me that with all of the weird stuff you can do in Hex he latched on to Cerebral Fulmination and basically just made a variant of the modern Owling Mine deck from MTG.

Hoogland streaming has had a pretty interesting effect on constructed though. In three gauntlets I saw two decks, people copying his SBW deck and people playing mono blood to try to counter it.
Kranok blood decks made up 24.2% of decks in the 12th IQ, I doubt Mono Blood Kranok is a more popular choice because of Hoogland tbh.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

ianvincible posted:

Man, now you've got me nostalgic for the even-more-glorious days of War Machinist. There was a time, before they realized how ridiculously OP it was, when the Tinkerer's Robes equipment made it do 1 damage to EACH opposing troop whenever you played an artifact. Imagine one-sided board wipes just from playing your own troops! I mean, it did obviously deserve a nerf, but that deck was incredible back then.

:stare:

I just need to remember that whenever I play Construction Plans: War Hulk, it triggers two activations of each War Machinist.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Orc Arena deck in the OP has 62 cards in it.

Also, it looks like the cupid art Crushing Blow isn't affected by the equipment.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

The ccg I played must extensively was hearthstone but I poetry much net decked everything. I'd like to do more of my own deck building with hex once I get a little further into the game. I'm looking for any good articles on the subject.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Honestly, netdecking is a great way to learn how to build decks. The trick is to try a lot of different decks, in order to learn what works in the game in general, as well as what cards work against other specific archetypes. Take note of the top decks, look at what archetype they are, then take note of simple things like how many actions tend to be in a specific archetype, because it's probably that number for a reason.

http://fiveshards.com/ has many many articles about deckbuilding, but better than that are the livestreams. Like all things TCG(this applies to hearthstone as well), streamers are an incredible resource for learning to play.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I also think it would be worthwhile looking up what advice MtG people give about building better decks - the games are similar enough that most of the actual advice is still applicable, even if some specific suggestions aren't

Like that Adrian Sullivan guy sorta-recently wrote about Having A Robust Sideboard Plan - what I take away from that is understanding the decks you are side-boarding against and relying on more than just drawing one of the cards you side in but instead using your deck in a different way

A lot of this advice is going to be aimed at the competitive constructed scene, but you can take away general lessons here and there - also yea more specific guidance can be had just by watching some streamers explaining a deck that you like the look of / want to play

Grim fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 13, 2016

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Hatchery Priests actually only make eggs when you exhaust them to use their ability, their gear makes them create another spiderling whenever an egg comes up. You're probably thinking of Vilefang Eremites. It might have been a display bug caused by all the poo poo on the field. When it got to be the computer's turn again a it drew another spider egg from the empty space where its deck used to be.

Yeah, whoops. I haven't played a vennen deck since they added the new equipment (it's new with the PvE patch, right?) and still get mixed up on which equipment does what.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Vincent Valentine posted:

Honestly, netdecking is a great way to learn how to build decks. The trick is to try a lot of different decks, in order to learn what works in the game in general, as well as what cards work against other specific archetypes. Take note of the top decks, look at what archetype they are, then take note of simple things like how many actions tend to be in a specific archetype, because it's probably that number for a reason.

http://fiveshards.com/ has many many articles about deckbuilding, but better than that are the livestreams. Like all things TCG(this applies to hearthstone as well), streamers are an incredible resource for learning to play.

No, I absolutely agree with that. I got pretty decent at hearthstone without ever constructing a deck of my own but I got very familiar with the various deck types etc. I just want to try to do some creative stuff with deckbuilding since it seems like there are a lot more options in Hex and it will likely only get better as they come up with more clever ways to take advantage of the medium.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The fact that all mana is neutral and works on colour thresholds rather than coloured mana shenanigans makes me like this more than MTG. That and indefinite modifiers sticking to cards when they change zones.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Huh, if you replicate (via Mimeobot) a War Machinist, then its ability will trigger off of itself entering the battlefield (since it's now an Artifact).

Now I'm curious if there's a way to recursively bounce and setup an infinite damage combo.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

AegisP posted:

Huh, if you replicate (via Mimeobot) a War Machinist, then its ability will trigger off of itself entering the battlefield (since it's now an Artifact).

Now I'm curious if there's a way to recursively bounce and setup an infinite damage combo.

Not recursive, but look up Replicator's Gambit. There was a combo deck using that for a while in set 1 constructed (not a tier 1 deck by any means but it stole its fair share of wins).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

I'm just pointing out the ability to do so is there. With a not terrible deck, if you do a bridge run which takes less than 45-55 minutes as long as you have no major hiccups, you end up with 9 adventure packs and enough gold to buy another adventure pack, that's way more than you are going to get from Hearthstone in that amount of time.

You could probably sell those adventure packs for 2k gold each and buy a real booster. So come the gently caress on.

Edit: It took less than 30 minutes to sell four AV1 packs for 2k gold each. I probably should have been doing this all along instead of selling them for plat, going to need gold to spin chests when set 4 hits.

AV1 packs are down to about 1800 gold.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I saw this post on the tweets a minute ago and thought it was kinda funny;

https://twitter.com/JeffHoogland/status/698384390536175616

Also I've been having a ton of fun just now with a Dwarf Warrior, there are a lot of great R/S Warrior cards so the "Gain a charge when a warrior enters play" ability is pretty slick (Scrap Welder with the boots just keeps coming back) and lets you lock the opponent down after they've tapped out, helped right now by the fact that it's slightly bugged so it won't play shards on those turns where you fight it (but even without it would still rock face), PLUS poo poo like the Killipede is a breeze because of the Armour

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

This could probably do with some shortening :v:

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Guys, this dream deck is really that good, and I don't even feel like it has been optimized. Seriously, get in while the getting is good. No way this won't get nerfed.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Afgad posted:

Guys, this dream deck is really that good, and I don't even feel like it has been optimized. Seriously, get in while the getting is good. No way this won't get nerfed.

95% of that deck won't appear under any section or search on the AH for me as it's pve-only, and I'm not going to waste god knows how much time trying to farm up a playset of all that poo poo in campaign.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Good luck to everyone playing in the ruby cup today.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Afgad posted:

I tried that deck and it does indeed blaze through the arena. I had three losses due to drawing crappy hands/mulling down to nothing. Having only 2 skarns and missing the bear equipment didn't help. In retrospect the bears probably shouldn't have been in the deck :v:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, the problem is getting the 4 Enter the Dreams. I've done roughly a dozen characters up to and through the Tranquil Dream dungeon with Dungeon Crawler bonuses and have exactly one. Not sure if I have the necessary equipment for Enter the Dream, either.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zurai posted:

Yeah, the problem is getting the 4 Enter the Dreams. I've done roughly a dozen characters up to and through the Tranquil Dream dungeon with Dungeon Crawler bonuses and have exactly one. Not sure if I have the necessary equipment for Enter the Dream, either.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with it unless you have four. Even with four I've had some nailbiters where I've burned through half my deck and been one swing away from defeat before finally drawing one. Another good/thematic addition to that deck is Eldritch Dreamer with the ruby that makes both players discard their hand and draw 3.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

FiveShards published this article about some PvE mage decks, which I was excited to see. It's a little disappointing, at least for the Elf one, because the deck is relatively expensive and I would think that anyone who had these cards or could at least afford them would not be the audience for the article. The dwarf one relies heavily on slaughtergear cards which I understand are also fairly expensive. Also it doesn't really talk to talents at all either for the Elf deck, although it does for the Necrotic mage deck.

http://fiveshards.com/demystifying-the-pve-mage/

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I've been farming the poo poo out of the dream dungeon the last couple days and have only come out with one Enter the Dream so far. Anygoon who has spares (or just doesn't care about the ones you have) hit me up and I'll trade you stuff for it. Hexprice is calling them 228 plat, hex.tcgbrowser is calling them 242 plat, I have no idea how either one is assigning a value since the auction house is hosed for them right now, but whatever. I can just pay in platinum, or if you need cards my tradelist is here.

Which reminds me, the OP could stand to have a link to hex.tcgbrowser.com on it, they have a pretty good API interface that automatically strips your collection data from the game.

Edit: Oh, and I should mention, it's in the Google doc, but my IGN is Kitsune.

Valatar fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 14, 2016

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

I have extra enter the dream but I need 2 more dream skarn. Anyone willing to trade 2 dream skarn for enter the dream? The plat on Hexprice comes out to roughly equal. [Edit: Claimed by Lonegoat]

How the heck does Hexprice have prices for these things anyway? I cannot find any of them on the AH, so how are trades even happening?

Afgad fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 15, 2016

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Afgad posted:

How the heck does Hexprice have prices for these things anyway? I cannot find any of them on the AH, so how are trades even happening?

You can list the campaign pve cards on the auction house, but cannot search for them unless you go page by page looking through the pve stuff. I guess some people don't mind looking through 400+ pages to find a card that may or may not be there.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

katkillad2 posted:

You can list the campaign pve cards on the auction house, but cannot search for them unless you go page by page looking through the pve stuff. I guess some people don't mind looking through 400+ pages to find a card that may or may not be there.

I got bored and looked through the first 200 (of 3900) pages of the AH for cards sold for Platinum, found an Enter the Dream for 2350p buyout but didn't take it.

I tried filtering by colour, rarity, and PVE all separately and it didn't show up. I guess they screwed up the tags (or whatever) when they created all the AZ1 cards and that's why they're unsearchable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I finally managed to take down Wiktor with a an elf mage W/R ramp deck. The starting deck actually provides most of the ramp cards you need, but the player has to provide the fatties. It has pretty much every big W/R/Shardless creature I've gotten from playing the game since beta as well as 2 Eyes of Creation. MVP was either the Genesis Hydra that I played on turn 3 and ended the game a 15/15, or geared burn. Has anyone beat him with less money intensive archetype?

Related note: If you have an arbitrary amount of resources to dump into Master of Masks, consider 9. He has a pretty good chance of becoming The Triumvirate.

• Locked thread