Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I'd like to run a game of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 1st Edition. This'll be a weekly thing, every Tue, 8:00 PM EST, over roll20 VOIP

First session will be on Tue, Feb 9 2016, 8:00 PM

We'll start in a dungeon to get things going, then we'll explore a new map hex-by-hex, site-by-site. The game will be mostly about dungeon delving, killing monsters and taking their stuff.

Rolling up a character:
4d6-drop-lowest, arrange as desired
Maximum HP
100 gp to start

roll20 link to the game

If you're interested or have any questions, feel free to post here, or PM me, or email me at gradenko2000 <at> gmail

===

Campaign notes:

Town of Appledale
Tribal Technological level
100 families, 3 significant shops - Oil shop, Shield Maker, Horse Keeper

Notable NPCs in Appledale:

Mayor Ricardo Enrico - breaker of hearts, breaker of faces, possible former bandit, won elections under dubious circumstances.
The players have helped him clean up the Orc fortress, and even the Orc raiding party on its way back from the fortress

Bob, the Richest Innkeeper in town - Laurelai has done some work for him before

Carmen, Magic-User, member of the Thaumaturgy Guild - has some ties to darker arts
She has a pending job for you to track down a potent poison in the swamps south-east of Appledale

Town of Berryhaven
Religious Town
390 families, large town
Significant shops:
Chariot Maker
Pipe Weed Shop
Hat Maker
Silversmith
Ghost Chaser
Locksmith

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
* Don't bother with alignment
* I'm not going to enforce level limits for demi-humans. Make a Half-Orc Cleric!
* I'm not going to enforce class limits for demi-humans. Make a Gnome Monk!
* I'm allowing Weapon Specialization from Unearthed Arcana for single-class Fighters and Rangers
* Assassins: percentile skills are set to level 1 Thief equivalents, and then do not increase until level 4, at which point the Assassin's skills start lagging 2 levels behind.

Various tables for our reference:

Attack table for Fighters and the likes:

Attack table for Thieves and Assassins:

* It's also worth noting that a Thief's Backstab is a +4 to-hit, on top of the extra damage (any other character class only gets a +2 to-hit from attacking an enemy from behind)

Attack table for Magic-Users:

Armor class and DEX table:

Saving throws table:

Weapons tables:

Armor and weapons usable, per class, table:

Money conversion table:

Firefinger cantrip

* Mechanics reminder: charge attacks have a +2 to hit

* Mechanics reminder: roll20 macro for attacking:
pre:
I attack! And hit a target with AC [[20-d20]] or higher, for [[d6]] damage
Where you can substitute 20 with your THAC0, and then any penalties or bonuses come after the d20.
That is, a level 3 Figher has a THAC0 of 18, and if they have a +1 to-hit from weapon specialization and a +1 to-hit from having a Sword+1, then the macro would look like:
pre:
I attack! And hit a target with AC [[18-d20+1+1]] or higher, for [[d6]] damage
* Mechanics reminder: I ruled that Ranner can use the Firefinger cantrip at-will

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 2, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm down for this. I'll get an app up soon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Osywn Flatfoot

Tenacious, tough, and determined, Osywn is a youth brimming with potential and a lust for glory and gold. The dangers of the world may take his soul to the world beyond, but he strives forward undeterred. Brave or foolish? Hard to say.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Welcome aboard!

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
I wanna play, and I'm makin' a guy. Will Poisons be allowed?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ScaryJen posted:

I wanna play, and I'm makin' a guy. Will Poisons be allowed?

Just to make sure we're on the same page, did you have a specific item/ability/spell/page reference in mind?

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

Just to make sure we're on the same page, did you have a specific item/ability/spell/page reference in mind?

I was thinking of playing an assasin, and it'd be fun to be able to procure venoms and stuff from fallen monsters. If not, I'm definitely still leaning toward Assasin or Thief.

e- Not sure the exact page in the DMG, but it's basically the occasional save or die or extra damage from coated weapons (or if you can get a monster to swallow some). Totally DM discretion vs hard coded rule though.

ScaryJen fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 2, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ScaryJen posted:

I was thinking of playing an assasin, and it'd be fun to be able to procure venoms and stuff from fallen monsters. If not, I'm definitely still leaning toward Assasin or Thief.

I'll definitely allow the assassin class, and the poison table on page 20 of the DMG looks okay, as long as you pay for the doses.

EDIT: by the way let me know if minimum stat requirements become an issue. I'm considering dropping them if it gets in the way of people playing what they want.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 2, 2016

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
Sweet! I'll have my sheet up soon!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
I'd be interested in trying this out as well.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
Here we go!

Laurelai Blackleaf, Elvish Assasin

I just did 1gp/ea for the empty vials since there wasn't a price for them, if that's okay.

ScaryJen fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 10, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ScaryJen posted:

Here we go!

Laurelai Blackbriar, Elvish Assasin

I just did 1gp/ea for the empty vials since there wasn't a price for them, if that's okay.

I couldn't quite follow how you computed your Thief skill percentages. By my count, it should be:

pre:
Pickpocket:        30% base +  5% elf +  5% DEX = 40% total
Open Locks:        25% base -  5% elf + 10% DEX = 40% total
Find/Remove Traps: 20% base                     = 20% total
Move Silently:     15% base +  5% elf +  5% DEX = 25% total
Hide in Shadows:   10% base + 10% elf +  5% DEX = 25% total
Hear Noise:        10% base +  5% elf           = 15% total
Climb Walls:       85% base                     = 85% total
Unless there's a penalty for wearing armor that I'm missing?

EDIT: Ah ha! You're an elf! +1 to hit!

And then I can't quite follow your combat matrix. I know you're using the "attack roll adjustment based on armor class" table, but seems like your longsword and shortsword are 1 higher than they need to be, and then your short bow is 1 lower than it needs to be. But your dagger seems correct.

I see it now, but your shortbow still seems to be lower than it should

You might also just want to write your raw THAC0, which would be 20 at this level.

That is, assuming we disregard the adjustment based on armor class:

You'd roll a d20+1 when using your longsword and shortsword, since you're only at STR 15, but elves get a +1 with long and short swords

You'd roll a d20-2 when using your dagger, since you're non-proficient with it

You'd roll a d20+3 when shooting your bow, since you're at DEX 17 for a +2 and you're an elf for another +1.

Including the armor type adjustment, shooting your bow at a plate armor AC 2 target would be [d20 +2 DEX +1 elf -4 armor type] or a final roll of d20+1, but you have it listed as -4

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 3, 2016

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
I was using the table on page 38 of the 1st Ed PHB, but I can switch it all to flat THACO. It also says in there Thief abilities are as 2 levels lower, so I interpreted it to mean I'd get the lvl 1 stuff at level 3, but I'll update that too.

e- All fixed!

ScaryJen fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 3, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ScaryJen posted:

I was using the table on page 38 of the 1st Ed PHB, but I can switch it all to flat THACO.

Yes, please. I don't know that we'd use the armor type adjustments, but even if we did it's still good to have THAC0 as a base.

ScaryJen posted:

It also says in there Thief abilities are as 2 levels lower, so I interpreted it to mean I'd get the lvl 1 stuff at level 3, but I'll update that too.

That's okay. The interpretation we're going to run with is that your Thief skills don't get better until level 4 when you get Thief level 2 percentages.

Thank you!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Game tomorrow, folks!

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'd thought I'd be playing this:

What I actually ended up playing:

I had fun tonight. For the record, I was playing up my reaction to the bad rolls for humor. It's fine by me to fail.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
"Assasin's Log, Secondmonth 9. New method of dispatch added to repertoire; Rat Death."
_________/

I agree, very good game!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

What I thought I'd play:

What I ended up playing:

What they say about 1st-level Magic-Users being useless is untrue. Just pick darts as your proficient weapon and get 3 attacks a round.

Surprisingly it appears that as far as deaths go, the 1st-level magic-user might be giving the Fighter and Assassin some stiff competition in the orc-killing department. I believe that Laurelai has the largest number (about 5 or so orcs), although I killed 2 before I even had to use my Magic Missile.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I would have killed more if the dice didn't absolutely hate me. I do 1d8+2 on a hit which is pretty good and can attack twice in a row certain rounds, but I never hit once. :shrug:

Osywn is going to do a lot of dumb things to try to make his sword more lucky. He's going to write 7 on his sword, tie four leaf clovers to it, and put it in his lucky hilt (the same hilt, but he'll keep calling it is his "lucky hilt" in the vain hopes it will affect things).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you! Glad you all had fun

Now for the book-keeping:

Knocked out an Orc = 18 XP
3 Orcs fought and defeated = 38 XP
Evaded 3 Giant Rats = 29 XP
Became chums with 2 kobold cooks, Snarf and Babble = 16 XP
2 Orc guards fought and defeated = 36 XP
1 Orc chieftain fought and defeated = 42 XP

Recovered 8 electrum pieces from the first Orc defeated = equal to 4 GP
Recovered bolts of tapestries worth 100 platinum = equal to 500 GP
Recovered 25 electrum pieces from the three Orcs defeated = equal to 12 GP (rounding this down so we don't get fractions)
Recovered 10 electrum pieces from the two Orc guards = equal to 5 GP

Recovered from the Orc Chieftain's hoard:
A tiara of wrought gold, worth 500 GP
A silver lockbox with a spring-loaded topaz ballerina figure inside, worth 5 000 GP

Quaal's Feather Token, worth 500 XP for being recovered (and 2 000 GP if to be sold)

quote:

[a single-use item that] can be used to drive off any sort of hostile avian creatures or as a vehicle of transportation equal to a roc of the largest size in all respects (1 day duration)
Sword +1, worth 400 XP for being recovered (and 2 000 GP if to be sold)

Totaling all of that up:

179 XP from slaying/defeating/bypassing various monsters
521 XP from the non-hoard treasure
6 400 XP from the hoard treasure
A total of 7 100 XP

521 GP from the non-hoard treasure
5 500 GP from the hoard treasure
A total of 6 021 GP

Splitting that three ways, we get:

2366 XP each
2007 GP each
and then the Quaal's Feather Token, and the Sword+1

Oswin Flatfoot gains an extra 10% XP for having 15+ STR, so he's now at 2602/4000 XP and goes up to level 2!
Laurelai Blackleaf is now at 2366/2500 XP and goes up to level 2!
Ranner Rockshot is now at 2366/2500 XP

Next session, we can do an in-town vignette.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 14, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've added some charts to the second post for our mutual referencing. Let me know if there's anything else that you'd like to be put up there. Maybe general equipment lists?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
By the by, when leveling up, take maximum HP possible. I think that covers it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Game tomorrow, folks!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Book-keeping for today's session:

300 XP from pulling off the poison plan
794 XP from killing 55 Orcs from poison
50 XP specifically from killing the Orc Chieftain
61 XP from killing the three Orcs guarding the prisoners
300 XP from helping prisoners escape

Coinage from the bag that Laurelai snagged:
386 electrum = 193 GP
18 electrum = 9 GP
7 GP
600 platinum = 3 000 GP

Total of 4 714 XP (direct and from loot)
Total of 3 209 GP
Split three ways, that's:

1 572 XP each
1 069 GP each

Oswin Flatfoot gains an extra 10% XP for having 15+ STR, so he gains 1 729 XP, which takes him from 2 602 XP to 4 331/8 000 XP. He goes up to level 3!

Laurelai Blackleaf gains 1 572 XP, which takes her from 2 366 to 4 118/5 000 XP. She goes up to level 3!

Ranner Rockshot gains 1 572 XP, which takes him from 2 366 to 4 118/5 000 XP. He goes up to level 2!
Libertad!, you have the choice of learning either the Burning Hands, Comprehend Languages, or Firewater level 1 spells. You also learn the Firefinger cantrip/level 0 spell.

I've also added some campaign notes to the first post.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, I have a work thing that I need to attend to that's going to happen an hour into our regular schedule. I was thinking of either moving this week's game one hour earlier, so we start at 7:00 PM EST of Tuesday night (Feb 23), or moving to the next day: 8:00 PM EST of Wednesday night (Feb 24).

Does either/neither work for you? Let me know.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hey guys, I have a work thing that I need to attend to that's going to happen an hour into our regular schedule. I was thinking of either moving this week's game one hour earlier, so we start at 7:00 PM EST of Tuesday night (Feb 23), or moving to the next day: 8:00 PM EST of Wednesday night (Feb 24).

Does either/neither work for you? Let me know.

I actually tentatively have something Tues. that would make me need to be done on the earlier side as well, so I'm down with either.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I vote on earlier as well. I can't do Wednesday.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
7:00 PM Tue night it is, then. See you folks!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Sorry folks, looks like I missed it by an hour.

Did I miss anything, or are we rescheduling for tomorrow?

Also, I'm leaning towards Comprehend Languages as my 1st-level spell of choice. I already have a good combat spell, so more utility can't hurt.

Covok
May 27, 2013

You didn't miss anything. We decided to reschedule for next week. Gradenko needed to be out by a certain time and ScaryJen had plans anyway so we decided that, since we lost a lot of the window anyway, we'd just head out.

It's no biggie. I have a big test on Thursday anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Various notes from today's session:

* 1 unit of pipe weed sold in the town of Berryhaven costs 16 gp
* Ranner Rockshot bought himself a "Tall purple plume with an exotic bird feather hanging off in a drooping fashion" for 30 gp
* You guys met Decius, former slave, who told you all about a slave-employing silk plantation northeast of town

pre:
Decius, level 0 former slave
STR - 11; DEX - 15; CON - 6; INT - 8; WIS - 6; CHA - 7
THAC0 20
AC 7 (leather armor; -1 DEX bonus)
5/5 HP

Leather armor was taken from a slain guard
* Oswin Flatfoot is planning to buy a stovepipe hat, but not until they've freed the slaves
* The owner of the plantation sent an assassin to track the party.
* Laurelai detected the assassin, harassed him with her pet falcon, Falco, and then the rest of the group banded together to kill him. You recovered 30 GP from the assassin's money pouch, and a note identifying the owner of the plantation is Lord Ricton
* 30 GP and 190 XP gained (80 XP base, x2 for turning the tables on the assassin, 30 XP from recovered gold)
* Decius gave you the low-down on the plantation:

pre:
5 acre plantation
180 guards
18 overseers
550 slaves
3 story mansion
warehouse for slave quarters
2 dozen house slaves
* 2 guards were killed on the way to sneaking into the mansion: 29 XP gained
* 2 guards were bribed by Oswin to gain entry into the mansion, at the cost of 10 GP: 60 XP gained

As we ended the session, you've already assassinated Lord Ricton, but you've yet to make your escape from the plantation and/or inflict more damage upon it.

Total XP gained from this session: 279 XP total, 93 XP each
(although we won't be tallying it up against the rest of your current XP until the adventure wraps up)

Total GP gained from this session: 30 GP total, 10 GP each

* Mechanics reminder: charge attacks have a +2 to hit

* Mechanics reminder: roll20 macro for attacking:
pre:
I attack! And hit a target with AC [[20-d20]] or higher, for [[d6]] damage
Where you can substitute 20 with your THAC0, and then any penalties or bonuses come after the d20.
That is, a level 3 Figher has a THAC0 of 18, and if they have a +1 to-hit from weapon specialization and a +1 to-hit from having a Sword+1, then the macro would look like:
pre:
I attack! And hit a target with AC [[18-d20+1+1]] or higher, for [[d6]] damage
* Mechanics reminder: I ruled that Ranner can use the Firefinger cantrip at-will

Covok
May 27, 2013

That was "dank" pipeweed, thank you. And I bought 10 dimebags of it.

Anyway, had fun today. Sorry if I was distant. Was a little out of it.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
So, hey fellas, I have an appointment pretty much exactly when we're supposed to play next and I can't reschedule it easily. Would it be okay to have you guys NPC me? Or maybe do a party split where Laurelai and Decius go help the slaves escape while Oswyn and Ranner do their controlled burn?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
We can do that easily, sure.

Alternatively, I'm also down with running a oneshot of something else - I think Libertad! has been interested in White Star.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

We can do that easily, sure.

Alternatively, I'm also down with running a oneshot of something else - I think Libertad! has been interested in White Star.

A White Star Playtest, to be specific. And don't worry, I copied down the relevant info for PC creation and stuff characters need to know for a new game.

We can definitely try it this Tuesday if folks are interested. I'll just need to make the campaign for it and all.

Although truth be told, the length of my module might be such that it can either be completed in one long session, or two sessions tops.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
Awesome! Thank you guys for being so acommodating. I hate to be a bother.

If you do end up doing White Star and it takes two sessions, I'd love to pop in for the second part if it's not too much of a curveball.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Sure, here's the join-up listing.

BTW, the one player already in is Humbug Schoolbus from this forum.

I'll PM you join-up links, too.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Okay, serious question.

It's one day before the game, and if able I'd like to know if I should go ahead and plan to run my thing, or for Gradenko to continue running Hexcrawl.

I ask because right now only 3 players are in my join-up, and Jen can't make it for the first, Humbug Schoolbus wants to wait for 2, and from my talking I don't think that Covok's as keen on the system, and Gradenko hasn't inclined one way or another on showing up.

As for Hexcrawl, I'm still keen on playing that tomorrow Tuesday.

I would like to know ahead of time so I know what I'm doing tomorrow and what to tell Humbug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Libertad, I'm confirming my interest for joining a session of your White Star game on Tue, Mar 8, 8:00 PM EST, if you're still running it.

• Locked thread